Official TOMB RAIDER Hype Thread (8.5 @ GS, Final Hours ep.6)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

IGN stream was nice. I wasn't wowed by it, but it definitely looks pretty damn good. A few moments that I couldn't help but be nitpicky about was the flow of her ponytail and those guys getting caught on fire while that one guy right across from them just watched as if sh** wasn't totally hitting the fan(LOL!).

Still a little irked about the health regen(if true), and I really wish she would scavenge a freakin jacket. I'm freezing just looking at her...Cooling_Down_by_Ewig.gif

AdobeArtist

You're not the only one who's brought this up. At the Eidos forums they're discussing why doesn't Lara take warmer clothing from scavengers she's taken down. In one trailer at E3, we see Lara shivering in the rain as she tries to start a fire. Which was fantastic as it showed the human element where the character is actually affected by their environment, and not just superimposed into it.

Lara demonstrates resourcefulness in how she tackles her enemies (like using the bow to choke them from behind is some damn good ingenuity) or how she uses a lantern as a weapon. So when she's aware of the frail condition of her tank top, worn out by dampness and dirt, you'd think she would figure out a good jacket isn't needed by a scavenger she just killed :P

As for the regenerating health, that was confirmed, which seems to be mainly a feature in combat situations. Crystal Dynamics also mentions that food and water will also play a vital role in Lara's ongoing survival and well being in the wilderness. Though they've kept a tight lid on how the two mechanics balance each other out. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

--

Oh and something else I wanted to bring up from the live feed last night - the video camera. Most of you might have seen the concept art of Lara juddled in her shelter, watching the viewscreen of the camera by a camp fire? Those moments are indeed in the game,as she relives moments of her time on the Endurance before the crash.

It gives great background details not only of Lara, but her colleagues as well. And I'm sure throughout the course of her journey, it will really punctuate the contrast of Lara's transformation, in who she is now and who she was at the start of her voyage, where things seemed so simple while on the Endurance.

I think it's amazing that they even manage to make me care about her not having anything warm to wear at all -- in most games, like I really wouldn't give a ****. But I genuinely care that she is secure in some warmth. And that little bit is just something that would add to the experience for me if given the option.

Nice to know that food and water will play a role. I had forgot about that. But yeah, I still just really wish they would go with the health packs in general as the norm over regen. It only irked me more because I was just imagining how intense it would be if you took some serious damage and you had to search out health packs in similar scenarios to where that big wolf attacked her in that cave -- that would really push the whole survival aspect so much further if you felt the importance of having to do everything with great care.

Other than that, everything else is awesome(really loving how convincing Camilla's voice work is as well). And the video camera moments should prove to be entertaining. I'm so eager to see if any of it matches up to some of the diary entries you wrote. :P

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]any link to the gameplay you guys saw?freedomfreak
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/12/01/ign-live-presents-tomb-raider

Just in case, here's a YouTube Link

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I was really impressed by the environments. Looked very atmospheric. I just want to roam around on the island. freedomfreak

Same here. The 10 hr play time is clearly an estimate for those who only take the linear path of the main plot. I'm sure my play through will easily be double that, as I want to SEE every obscured corner of the island, plus to scrounge for all those relics, collectibles (especially the hidden journal entries), and the hidden tombs :D

True, true. You just go treasure/collectible hunting in TR games. You just do. It will be fun exploring every nook and cranny of that place.

And let's not forget, finding the highest ledge that we can send Lara to her greusome and bone crushing demise :twisted:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Same here. The 10 hr play time is clearly an estimate for those who only take the linear path of the main plot. I'm sure my play through will easily be double that, as I want to SEE every obscured corner of the island, plus to scrounge for all those relics, collectibles (especially the hidden journal entries), and the hidden tombs :D

AdobeArtist

True, true. You just go treasure/collectible hunting in TR games. You just do. It will be fun exploring every nook and cranny of that place.

And let's not forget, finding the highest ledge that we can send Lara to her greusome and bone crushing demise :twisted:

I don't know if I can do such a thing :cry:
jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts
As a long time Tomb Raider fan,i cant wait to see how this turns out.. i hope it turns out well but im kinda bummed that there will be no swimming involved.. i kinda like the swimming in past tomb raider games :(
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 freedomfreak
thanks guys, just started and already the game crashes lol, hopefully its polished enough when released.TheGuardian03
Yeah, something goes wrong everytime they do a live demonstration :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#209 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Looks like a poor man's Uncharted without Naughty Dog's technical prowess or writing chops.

Also Womb Raider.

Pikminmaniac

Say what? Run that by me again...

What's with you and Uncharted these days. The game series goes against everything you argued for in gaming. You had a huge change of heart as of late.

Uncharted has decent writing. It's not unique or original, but it's not bad. And no, I still dislike a lot of what Uncharted does. But I will give the game props for what it does well.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]thanks guys, just started and already the game crashes lol, hopefully its polished enough when released.TheGuardian03

also the shooting doesn't look cool, bow shooting looks fine but the guns i have to play and see how it feels, the controls. it looks promising, i'll continue to watch and comment.

A lot will have to do with how it feels, that's true. They still have time to polish a few things.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#211 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

My only issue with that gameplay was that there were absolutely no puzzles. At all. I like that there was some room for exploration and the platforming looked good, as did the combat. I also loved the atmosphere. But I can't help bit shake the feeling that puzzles in this game are going to be seriously lacking.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Game looks pretty good, judging by the live stream. My interest was waning a bit, but this got me excited.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 AdobeArtist  Moderator

My only issue with that gameplay was that there were absolutely no puzzles. At all. I like that there was some room for exploration and the platforming looked good, as did the combat. I also loved the atmosphere. But I can't help bit shake the feeling that puzzles in this game are going to be seriously lacking.

burgeg

Don't forget that in Tomb Raider, puzzles aren't just levers, gears, and pressure plates. The environments themselves are the puzzle that works with the platforming, and that has been retained here. On the former, they made a shift away from the mechanical engineerings of ancient civilizations that still function after anywhere from 4000-9000 years later.

Instead the puzzles are more organic to the setting, and comprised of manipulation of the elements. Using fire to burn obstacles out of your way, or where fire is the obstacle, figuring out how to get a distant source of water to put it out. Plus theres the use of water to carry materials to where you need them. Crystal Dynamics even hinted that wind will be an element of puzzle solving, but have been reluctant on revealing details on that one so there's still something for players to figure out.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]thanks guys, just started and already the game crashes lol, hopefully its polished enough when released.freedomfreak

It's Murphy's Law in action :P

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

After watching the live stream, i can clearly see the comparisons with Uncharted. For me, thats not a negative thing, as im an Uncharted fan myself, i welcome taking inspiration from it. The way i see it, uncharted borrowed stuffs from Tomb Raider and now its going the other way around, game looks nice :D

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 DarkLink77

They really should have put more non-lethal and stealth options into this game.

Because if I'm a scared little girl all alone on an island of people who want to kill and rape me, I'd want to avoid them at all costs, not fight them.

It would also make her decision to kill people have more impact.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 freedomfreak
It would be nice to be able to put on a jacket. Scavenge something. I hope you can do something about that. I'm not used to seeing Lara in the same outfit for a whole game.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]It would be nice to be able to put on a jacket. Scavenge something. I hope you can do something about that. I'm not used to seeing Lara in the same outfit for a whole game.

i hope they have skins for her like uncharted like fat drake lol, fat lara or nake lara lol.

:lol:nake. I never used a nake lara mod. I saw some pictures and her nipples looked weird, so I was like, fvck this sh!t. Sorry for bringing that up, Adobe.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Nake, man...

That word always cracks me up:P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"] i hope they have skins for her like uncharted like fat drake lol, fat lara or nake lara lol.

:lol:nake. I never used a nake lara mod. I saw some pictures and her nipples looked weird, so I was like, fvck this sh!t. Sorry for bringing that up, Adobe.

pc version will take care of that.

I'll be getting the 360 version. I'm sure they'll have a mod for that on release :P
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#225 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It seems like this game is trying to be like Uncharted, which is funny because Uncharted started out trying to be like Tomb Raider. I was a bigtime TR fan back in the day, but after the fourth or fifth entry I lost interest in the series.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#226 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

i noticed the wall touch animation during the video, pretty cool and done better than uncharted 3, also combat looks fun, its gonna be good.

also saw this at gaf. reminds me of the armored guys in uncharted, btw she is walking in snow and wearing these clothes, weird.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y444/tippex2/shield.jpg

TheGuardian03

Is this Lara Croft photoshopped into Gears of War?

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

burgeg
indeed. Puzzles are the whole reason i play Tomb Raider.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#228 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Mm, nake Lara.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 AdobeArtist  Moderator

It would be nice to be able to put on a jacket. Scavenge something. I hope you can do something about that. I'm not used to seeing Lara in the same outfit for a whole game.freedomfreak

Believe me I get where you're coming from. It was always a highlight of the old games, that I could select my outfit going into each level/mission, not to mention how it relfected on Lara herself, that she was so diverse in her style. She could be sporty, rugged, elegant, casual, stylish, militant, etc...

But I can accept in this game that outfit selections wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. In context of the story, it would diminish the ordeal she's going through. It made sense in pst games that in between levels, Lara would go to her mansion to prepare the appropriate attire for the next phase of her quest, be that diving suit, jungle wear, arctic wear, and so on.

But here, the whole point is that Lara must persevere with very limited resources at her disposal. Her appearance reflects her persistent struggle, and that without luxuries of resupplies that are at her convenience, she is afforded no relief from her progressive deterioration. Her journey is a marathon that will wear her down, but ultimately shape her into the adventurer she's meant to be.

That said, I had never considered the afformentioned idea of salvaging attire from fallen enemies. Which would work in context of Lara having to rely on her own resourcefulness, just as she does scvange for supplies throughout the game. Ah well.

But now I am remembering the pre-order DLC that's listed in the OP. Depending on where you pre-order you get the Hunter Skin from Amazon, which is basically the same thing as the default, but with a caking of mud or camoflage. Think of Arnie in Predator. Or for something radically different, BestBuy has the Aviatrix Skin which is a 50's style bomber flight jacket that Lara can wear.

They really should have put more non-leathal and sleath options into this game.

Because if I'm a scared little girl all alone on an island of people who want to kille and rape me, I'd want to avoid them at all costs, not fight them.

It would also make her decision to kill people much more impactful.

DarkLink77

I think it comes down to circumstances forcing Lara into confrontations she would rather avoid. At first she's on the radio asking Conrad to rescue her, only to find out he's injured and has to go to him, with the enemy encounters she must overcome to get to him. Then there's Sam who she must rescue, and so on, where it falls on Lara to put the needs of the crew before her own desire for safety.

But yeah I do see how measured pacing of avoid to confront could have deepened the impact of Lara needing to kill.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Any new news on whether she will be naked in the game yet?

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

TheGuardian03
she won't be nake, and if she was you'd buy it?

I'd buy it if she was.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Thefatness16

RyanShazam

PC version

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

TheGuardian03

she won't be nake, and if she was you'd buy it?

Haha that would not be a deciding factor on whether i buy the game or not. I havent played a Tomb raider game yet and this one looks pretty good. It has my nterest sparked. That would just be a bonus ;) hahaha

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"] she won't be nake, and if she was you'd buy it?

I'd buy it if she was.

and if there is no nake?

No buy. I need nake in my games.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] I'd buy it if she was.Michael0134567
and if there is no nake?

What if they sold nake costume as DLC?

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"] and if there is no nake? RyanShazam

What if they sold nake costume as DLC?

Nake or "nake"?
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Thefatness16

PC version

What is the likely hood of some modding that?

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"] she won't be nake, and if she was you'd buy it?TheGuardian03

Haha that would not be a deciding factor on whether i buy the game or not. I havent played a Tomb raider game yet and this one looks pretty good. It has my nterest sparked. That would just be a bonus ;) hahaha

oh i thought you would buy for nake chicks, you should buy heavy rain then.

I need Heavy Rain now.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

RyanShazam

PC version

Very likely.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Michael0134567

oh i thought you would buy for nake chicks, you should buy heavy rain then.

I need Heavy Rain now.

Heavy Rain was a lot of fun. I prefer Laura Croft to the chick in Heavy Rain though. The shower scene was pretty good though ;)

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

PC version

TheGuardian03

day one lol.

Day one purchase for PC!!!

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

PC version

Thefatness16

Very likely.

BRING IT!!! lol

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"] oh i thought you would buy for nake chicks, you should buy heavy rain then.RyanShazam

I need Heavy Rain now.

Heavy Rain was a lot of fun. I prefer Laura Croft to the chick in Heavy Rain though. The shower scene was pretty good though ;)

Lara Croft > Most other characters indeed. Dat shower scene, time to go re-watch it.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"] I need Heavy Rain now.Michael0134567

Lara Croft > Most other characters indeed. Dat shower scene, time to go re-watch it.

Good luck getting through the intro of that game again. I couldnt do it haha I guess thats what the internet is for though ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Because if I'm a scared little girl all alone on an island of people who want to kill and rape me, I'd want to avoid them at all costs, not fight them.

AdobeArtist

I think it comes down to circumstances forcing Lara into confrontations she would rather avoid. At first she's on the radio asking Conrad to rescue her, only to find out he's injured and has to go to him, with the enemy encounters she must overcome to get to him. Then there's Sam who she must rescue, and so on, where it falls on Lara to put the needs of the crew before her own desire for safety.

But yeah I do see how measured pacing of avoid to confront could have deepened the impact of Lara needing to kill.

That's all fine and dandy, but I think I'll have a hard time buying the "The decision to kill someone is a major thing for her" when she's going to kill hundreds of people on this island and walk it off like a female version of Nathan Drake. I mean, come on. I know video games struggle with this sh!t all the time, but there was a really easy way to deal with it in this game, and they just opted not to do it.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

That's all fine and dandy, but I think I'll have a hard time buying the "The decision to kill someone is a major thing for her" when she's going to kill hundreds of people on this island and walk it off like a female version of Nathan Drake. I mean, come on. I know video games struggle with this sh!t all the time, but there was a really easy way to deal with it in this game, and they just opted not to do it.

She needs 3 kils to become a Croft... Oh wait lol