BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#301  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@warm_gun: That is minor. No worries, but a solid white screen for a few hours is best to get rid of it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#302 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@warm_gun said:

@BassMan: Doubt it's image retention. Have had the taskbar hidden for about two weeks now and ran this video for at least one hour.

I wouldn't have even checked if a user on another forum didn't try to convince another that his LED monitor has burn-in. Sure enough, the most visible part on mine is at the same place as his, the Windows symbol in the corner.

Hmm, that is interesting. Luckily it's barely noticeable.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Just received this today today. Finally after so much waiting! I finally got an RTX 3080 now I just need to get my NZXT H1 V2 case and other PC parts over the next 2 months and I got a console sized PC for the living room to go with my Sony X90J. Technically the TV is a Sony X90CJ which is just the warehouse model version with no actual differences but made so retail companies wouldn't have to price match as much. I also got it refurbished for $700 at Microcenter which I found to be a great deal. A shame it doesn't support 1440p 120hz

My sound system isn't nearly as fancy as the ones you guys have. It's just a Vizio M series 5.1.2 soundbar. The Soundbar is resting on top of my DVD player and old AV receiver that I got in like 2008. I still have my speakers from that original surround setup still hanging on the walls but I feel too lazy to take it down. That is one of the two reasons why I went with a soundbar and satellite speakers over a full surround speaker setup. My living room setup is kinda low class and messy so I feel ashamed to show my whole living room set up.

Oh yeah and what I have running on the TV is a Taiwanese horror movie called The Sadness. It is pretty graphic and brutal and definitely a zombie/infected apocalypse I would not want to be in.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 BassMan

@NoodleFighter: Congrats on the 3080. I also have the Asus TUF version. No need to be ashamed of anything. We are all just sharing our setups. It is nice to see how people set things up. We can all get ideas and inspiration from each other. :)

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By NoodleFighter

@BassMan: Thanks but my setup looks like garbage compared to the setups posted here. Even the device you took pictures with is better than my phone's camera.

I bought the 3080 on a whim. I stopped paying attention to gpu news because it was all false hope. I had no idea card's were back in stock and dropping in price. I got my 3080 for $989. 2 days after I got it the msi vebtus 3080 12gb dropped to $769 on Newegg. I'm not even mad. I know people say to wait for the rtx 4000 series but based on all the rumors they're going to be power hungry with not enough performance boost to justify it. Then there is the risk that they'll be out of stock just like the rtx 3000 series at launch and go higher than mark. Especially since this silicon shortage is said to go on into 2024.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By BassMan

@NoodleFighter: I am still using my Google Pixel 3a XL phone camera. It is alright, but not the best quality (struggles in low light). It is an older phone and newer phones have better cameras. Some people are posting pics with DSLR cameras and they turn out really good.

As for the upcoming RTX 4000 series... the rumours are all over the place with power requirements and performance. I don't pay too much attention to them as it is mostly just people looking for attention/clicks/views. I will wait for the official specs. It will most likely be a shit show trying to get one around launch. 3080 is still a solid card and will serve you well.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 NoodleFighter

@BassMan: I just put together my NZXT H1 build and making this post with it!

specs:

Asus RTX 3080 12GB TUF OC Edition

Ryzen 5600X

Corsair LPX Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM

Asus ROG Strix B550-I mini itx gaming board

Crucial P5 Plus 1TB PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD

Downloading games as I write this. Can't wait to play games in 4k 120hz.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By BassMan

@NoodleFighter: Looking good.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#309  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2407 Posts

I got my desktop speakers a couple of months after my TV and sound system, in 2018. At the time, my PC and theater system were still in separate rooms. Didn't occur to for these couple of years having them in the same room that I could simply plug the sub woofer into those RCA output jacks on the back of the speakers. Until I had this dream about having the monitor on the center of the desk instead of more to one side and the speakers spread out more evenly with a sub woofer, and then asked about it. A very easy upgrade to 2.1. Moved the sub woofer to the other side of the TV, so that it's closer. Can already hear the difference.

I wanna replace those DVD cases under the speakers with small wood blocks. I use them as risers, so that the sound isn't so low.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@NoodleFighter: Nice! Enjoy!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun: More bass is always good. :)

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 Warm_Gun

I've heard OLED almost totally eliminates the brightness of black bars. I can't afford OLED. So I decided to mask. Put small velcro strips on the bezels, so that I can remove the masks easily. Came out pretty well, I think.

Haven't had a chance to try out the vertical black bars. Ran out of velcro, and I don't know if they have enough paint. Bottle ran out. Only had a chance to try 2.39:1 yesterday night. Used two coats on those. I could see the cardboard a little bit, but it was much better.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun:

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@warm_gun said:

I've heard OLED almost totally eliminates the brightness of black bars. I can't afford OLED. So I decided to mask. Put small velcro strips on the bezels, so that I can remove the masks easily. Came out pretty well, I think.

Haven't had a chance to try out the vertical black bars. Ran out of velcro, and I don't know if they have enough paint. Bottle ran out. Only had a chance to try 2.39:1 yesterday night. Used two coats on those. I could see the cardboard a little bit, but it was much better.

What in tarnation. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Yeah, the bright spots will probably be darker than those painted masks... I can’t knock the effort, but the black bar light bleed isn’t that serious…

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By Warm_Gun

@goldenelementxl: Not really.

I used an ISO of 100 and selected my custom Nvidia resolution of 3840x1632 (2.39:1) for this photo, without turning on the auto crop for black bars in my media player, which is why there are black bars on the sides of the letterboxed 3840x2160 image. You can see the brighter window-boxing of the Sony 900e. My masks are above and below the blueish windowbox, I swear. I mean, it's obvious by the windowbox and the image being in the same aspect ratios.

• Picture mode: Cinema pro
  • Auto picture mode: Off
  • Brightness in HDR: 50/50 (10/50 in SDR, but irrelevant for this photo.)
  • Light sensor: Off
  • Contrast: 86
  • Gamma: -1
  • Color temperature: Expert 1 (Not relevant, though.)
  • Live color: Off (Not relevant, though.)
  • Color: 50/100 (Not relevant, though.)
  • Black level: 50
  • Black adjust: Off
  • Adv. contrast enhancer: Off
  • Auto local dimming: Medium
  • X-tended dynamic range: High (Off in SDR, but again, not relevant for this.)

The Sony 900e isn't that good with local dimming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@warm_gun: I stand corrected…

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By Warm_Gun
@warm_gun said:

Where did my Atmos speakers go?

There they are! More effective like this. These are arms for bookshelf speakers. The holders are upside down. I drilled into the sides of the speakers to make sure they wouldn't fall down and kill me in my sleep.

Couldn't put real top down Atmos speakers into the ceiling because it's an apartment. Couldn't place them higher because the stud detector told me there was a vent.

I no longer keep that coffee table in my room. Too cramped. I eat on the floor and use my wireless mouse and keyboard on my bed/lap.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun: That chair upgrade is the best change to your setup. Have you ever considered a Murphy/wall bed for your room? If it can extend fully in front of your TV, it would really free up space when folded up and allow you to enjoy your TV setup in an actual seat. It would also make the space more visually pleasing.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Warm_Gun

@BassMan said:

@warm_gun: That chair upgrade is the best change to your setup. Have you ever considered a Murphy/wall bed for your room? If it can extend fully in front of your TV, it would really free up space when folded up and allow you to enjoy your TV setup in an actual seat. It would also make the space more visually pleasing.

I've thought about a sofa bed, but a comfy one would be more expensive than this memory foam bed. I don't really mind laying my legs out or sitting cross-legged.

I tried parts of some Atmos movies (Mylene Farmer 2019, Ghostbusters, Black Hawk Down) and found that in Ghostbusters at least the height effects seem a little too apparent now. I wonder if it would be okay to place another pair of these speakers in the spot where I had them before. So with the front two pointing diagonally from above the TV and the back two pointing straight down like this. Most four speaker Atmos setups have the speakers built into the ceiling, pointing straight down, but I can't do that because I live in an apartment. Can't do 5.1.4 anyway, because of my receiver. I also watch a pretty small minority of movies in Atmos or DTS:X. Even with the old ones with alternate audio tracks, I'll choose the older mixes almost every time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 BassMan

@warm_gun: Sofa bed would make sense, but I did not mention it because I am yet to sleep on a comfortable sofa bed. You can at least put a good mattress in a wall bed. As for the Atmos setup, there is no real good substitute for actually having them in the ceiling. I have the up-firing speakers on top of my front speakers so the sound bounces off the ceiling. It is alright, but I wish they were in the ceiling.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By Warm_Gun
@BassMan said:

@warm_gun: That chair upgrade is the best change to your setup.

It was my brother's chair, and he tried to saw off one of the armrests for more freedom with his arms, but never finished before he gave it to me. The other day the weight of my arm/body finally finished the job. That's the arm on the floor there by my belt. Seat was already torn when he gave it to me.

Picture shows more black bedsheet by the speaker. I got another and have almost that whole wall covered now.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Warm_Gun

He was right about the arms, though. Just wrong about trying to saw them off. I never liked those arms. Always coming close to the bottom of the desk when I slid the chair in. Prefer this new chair also for the black not sticking out like the orange in movies.

Some hard drives and a HDD power cable on the floor there because I'm transferring a lot of movies back to my NAS.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 BassMan

@warm_gun: Chair is better, but no grapes now....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
@BassMan said:

@warm_gun: Chair is better, but no grapes now....

Or Dr. Pepper... I think I'd trade the chair back for the snacks!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By BassMan

The beast has arrived!

Just swapped out my Asus TUF RTX 3080 for Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090.

It's a big boy!

Before:  Asus TUF RTX 3080
Before: Asus TUF RTX 3080
After:  Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090
After: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090
Bonus pic of the sexy AW3423DW QD OLED :)
Bonus pic of the sexy AW3423DW QD OLED :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@BassMan: Wow! I’m glad it still fit in your case!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By BassMan
@goldenelementxl said:

@BassMan: Wow! I’m glad it still fit in your case!

That is a legit concern for a lot of people. However, when I bought my case, it was for that same reason. I think I couldn't fit the 980 Ti or whatever card I wanted to buy back then in my old case. So, I made sure to buy a case that had plenty of room. I have been rocking this Fractal Design Define R5 for many years. The newer cases these days have the enclosed area for the PSU which helps with cable management and aesthetics, but I am not too concerned about that. My case does not have windows and I place it behind my monitor. So, I can't really see it. As long as the airflow and temps are good, that is all that matters. :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@BassMan: As Sam B (Dead Island) would say. Damn! That bitch is HUGE!

Also congrats scoring the RTX 4090. No love for the FE much?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By BassMan
@davillain said:

@BassMan: As Sam B (Dead Island) would say. Damn! That bitch is HUGE!

Also congrats scoring the RTX 4090. No love for the FE much?

Thanks. I tried to get a FE when they went live because it has a good cooler this time around and it is the cheapest model in Canada ($2100 CAD). However, I got fucked in the item checkout on the Best Buy site. The site said it would hold the card for me for 10 min and I took less than a minute entering payment info. When I moved on to the next stage, it said the item was no longer available. I refreshed the page and they were sold out. So, I just went with the Gigabyte model as it is one of the cheaper AIB cards. No sense in wasting money on higher models as they all perform the same.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#332 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@BassMan: The new 4090 is so powerful it literally created a black hole, nice going!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 BassMan

@R4gn4r0k:

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By Warm_Gun

@BassMan: No hard drives. Do you have a separate storage device somewhere or do you just keep everything on the M.2 and redownload? Must be super quiet.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By BassMan
@warm_gun said:

@BassMan: No hard drives. Do you have a separate storage device somewhere or do you just keep everything on the M.2 and redownload? Must be super quiet.

I have a 500GB NVMe (Gen 3) and a 2TB NVMe (Gen 3) on the mobo. I also have a 1TB SATA SSD behind the mobo (other side of case). I have another 25TB of external HDDs behind the case. I don't use HDDs for anything other than storage of media files and data backups. I don't run any apps or games off of them and I usually have them disconnected to avoid the dreaded mechanical noises.

I only have two M.2 slots on my mobo. I am thinking of selling the 500GB NVME (Gen3) and replacing it with a 2TB NVMe (Gen 4). That would give me 5TB total SSD space (currently have 3.5TB).

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@BassMan: it's straight comical just how large that card is. lol

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 BassMan

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@BassMan: it's straight comical just how large that card is. lol

Yup, the thing is a beast. It does come with a nice GPU anti-sag bracket though. As you can see, my old 3080 had a bit of sag and this beast has none.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By Warm_Gun

Some new things since I last posted.

Replaced 2018 Sony 900E LED TV with 2022 Sony A80K 120 Hz OLED. Same size, 65 inches. Old TV is now in my brother's room.

One of the things I like most about the TV that no one talks about is that the stand puts the TV lower. I still sit on a pillow when I watch movies, to bring myself up higher to the center.

When I play gams with a mouse and keyboard, I sit on the bed, so that my arm doesn't have to reach as far.

That's the smallest, flattest hard surface I could find for the mouse in this apartment. Keyboard (Keychron K2 Version 2) sits on my lap when I play.

I now watch movies and TV shows on a Zidoo Z9X, the small grey box with the rabbit ears on the top shelf.

I got it so that could play Dolby Vision, but it's also much quieter than my PC and better than a PC at automatically selecting the correct framerates for videos, so long as you keep the default framerate, meaning the menu, at 23 (23.976). Has a media browser for my ripped movies, but it's not as good as Plex's browser. Wish there was a neater way to search specific directors' works.

This is for the movies it tagged "thriller." Between the Zidoo and my center speaker is my external SSD. I have it connected to the Zidoo and can copy TV shows and movies from my PC and NAS with Samba. I don't add TV show and music video directories to the Zidoo's Netflix-like browser, because the way I have the TV show episodes named would make everything too messy. The Zidoo pulls data from TMDB and TVDB, so the files have to be named a certain way. Instead, I browse TV shows and music videos with the Zidoo's regular file manager. I wish that file manager at least showed thumbnails.

The Zidoo can also play BDMVs, meaning 1:1 rips of the Blu-ray disc, which saves a lot of space with branched discs containing two or three cuts of the same movie. Instead of one MKV for the Leon (The Professional) theatrical cut and one for the international extended cut, I save about twenty gigabytes with the branched BDMV.

All audio up to 24-bit 192 kHz Dolby/DTS comes through successfully from the Zidoo's HDMI to my 2018 Onkyo receiver. Akira and My Fair Lady's ultra high res audio used to drop out every few seconds for me, but I think that was because I was watching over an HDMI 2.0 graphics card. I bet my new graphics card can send the audio there without any issues. I still have to use a phantom second display (that I never see and my windows and icons sometimes disappear to) for HDMI audio when I use my PC because my receiver does not have eARC.

Zidoo is also connected to my Schiit Modi DAC over optical. All I have to do is mute the receiver, flip the switch at the front of the silver DAC from USB (my PC) to optical and then I get to watch my content on the TV with headphones.

Sadly, I've only been able to get PCM and I think FLAC audio to pass through. But most of the content I'd watch with headphones is in PCM anyway. Music videos, stereo concerts, mono movies late at night.

UPS powers most of my devices now. I've already had a few outtages since I bought it. My NAS in the living room has one too, a CyberPower ST900U.

New motherboard, cooler, CPU, graphics card.

The new board doesn't have the same bandwidth limitations with M.2 NVMe drives as my old one, so I was able to remove my PCIe SATA expansion card connect all six of my devices (five hard drives and one Blu-ray reader) to the motherboard. My M.2 is an SK hynix Gold P31 2TB. The motherboard has four M.2 slots, but I think I'll just get one more at some point and put it in the one by the northbridge. I'm assuming the other two below do share bandwidth with the SATA ports.

I put the old motherboard and Ryzen 5 2600X in my NAS. It seems to have stopped the random freezes I used to have with the Ryzen 3 1200 and microATX board. The NAS has been on for almost a week straight without any problems. I didn't have to do anything in TrueNAS, except check the new IP address. It was plug and play with the new hardware.

I no longer have it set up as RAID. Now I just have four separate volumes, 12 TB each. I back up to external hard drives the more important videos.

The 8bitDo controller up there in the charging port, under the TV, is cool. I know it's styled after the Switch Pro, but it feels more high quality to me. Can switch between my Switch and PC by flipping the switch in the back from Bluetooth to 2.4G.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 Warm_Gun

Also, for my surrounds, I replaced the Pioneer tower speakers with Sony bookshelves matching the rest of the speaker family, months ago. The unplugged Pioneers now serve as speaker stands. They were a bit too much.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun: Congrats on the new gear. Now you got yourself a proper gaming PC and OLED FTW! :)

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By Warm_Gun

@BassMan said:@warm_gun: Congrats on the new gear. Now you got yourself a proper gaming PC and OLED FTW! :)

Just wish I could figure out why some of my AVC (MP4) videos jitter back and forth between frames in the first two to three seconds of seeking to a spot, ever since I switched from Nvidia to AMD. Used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode to remove all traces of both drivers and downgraded to one of the older AMD drivers, and it's still happening.

Was going to make Arkham Knight one of my first big games on the new CPU and GPU, but I just don't like the Arkham formula, how ugly the art has always been and how Batman controls. Playing Witcher 3 again, enjoying it more the second time. Gonna take my sweet time with the quests, since I didn't enjoy the story that much seven years ago.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By R4gn4r0k

here's part of my setup, not the cleanest look or anything.

I bought this new chereeki alarm clock, which I've seen in a dozen gaming setups now and it's just a clean way to show the time.

Before I always had to get up and check my phone, or shift tab in a game.

Also tagging @BassMan because I know he loves an ultrawide, hehe

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 BassMan

@R4gn4r0k: Looking good. Ultrawide is looking sexy!

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Ultrawide monitor and a Steam Deck.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 R4gn4r0k

@lebanese_boy: Let me tell you: I didn't even think I'd like the Steam deck all that much.

I was worried about its weight, and it having a (audible) fan. But the way I use it, I don't really see any downsides (well, battery can drain pretty fast but that's literally the only issue I tend to notice).

Valve really went out of their way to make a fantastic handheld, and it shows.

RDNAv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 RDNAv2
Member since 2019 • 230 Posts

4090 fits fine in my Corsair 7000

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By Warm_Gun

Realized bezel to bezel is better for my uses than having the other monitor vertical, more to the side. Can see myself using the other monitor like this more. I got a monitor riser that has almost the exact same finish as my desk. Still do most if not all my gaming in front of the TV now, though.

Refurbished eARC receiver, for audio pass through the TV, allowing me to use VRR and drop the phantom display that I used for HDMI audio from the PC. Old receiver couldn't keep my PC picture at RGB full 10 bit and video card (like this one) only had one HDMI, so I had to use a DisplayPort adapter for full picture quality, which disabled VRR.

Can't get VRR from the PC through the receiver to work, but sending it through the TV instead is better for my uses.