Official Nintendo Switch Event Thread - March 3, 2017 WW Release - $300 USD

#1 Edited by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

Okay folks, with the big event getting closer we'll try to keep all discussion here (this includes rumours). I'll be adding links to livestreams when I can.

------------------

Making sure these are on top:

Where to watch the conference?

Nintendo's Youtube (<-click) page.

Nintendo's Twitch (<-click) page.

------------------

@FireEmblem_Man said:

- Kimishima presenting

- opens at 12 PM local time on January 13th

- event itself officially begins at 1 PM (8 PM PT / 11 PM ET on January 12)

- East Hall 8 will be used at Tokyo Big Site

- chance the presentation will contain software with age restrictions

- Nintendo will be putting up a list of playable software and stage times for its hands-on events in Japan

- sessions will be held on both January 14 and January 15

- attendees will be able to take photos and videos inside the exhibition except for the stage shows

- close shots of game footage is prohibited

- no stand to sell merchandise at the Japanese event

- My Nintendo members can participate in a lottery to win a Switch system

- 10 units will be given away each day

- attendees can check in using the new QR code feature added to Nintendo Accounts

Where to watch the conference? Nintendo's Youtube page

Nintendo's Twitch page - Set to be an hour long according to GoNintendo

US Local time

• Pacific time 8pm
  • Mountain time 9pm
  • Central time 10pm
  • Eastern time 11p

Australia Local time

• 3pm AEDT

European Local Time

• UK/Ire GMT 4am

What we already know of the Nintendo Switch

• Powered by Nvidia's custom SoC
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild a launch title (along with the Wii U version)
  • Different ways to play, whether on dock in your living room or on the go
  • Pro Controller to be sold seperately
  • Supports Unreal Engine 4
  • Supports latest Unity Engine
  • Hyperkin announces Nintendo Switch accessories
  • Supports USB Type-C charging for now

Confirmed titles (games TBD)

• Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (March 2017)
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Dragon Quest XI (2017)
  • New Sonic game (2017) *Sonic mania is NOT confirmed, only the new 3D Sonic game*
  • Seasons of Heaven (TBD)

Rumored titles

• Mario x Rabbids RPG
  • Assassins Creed title in Egypt
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Special Edition
  • NBA 2k17
  • Mother 3/Earthbound 2 for VC both Wii U and Switch
  • New 1up title
  • New Retro Studios project
  • Wii U Ports Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Splatoon port
  • Pikmin 4
  • Splatoon Switch (Possible Wii U Update)
  • Mario Kart Switch (Possible Wii U Update)
  • Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races Online
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • Stardew Valley
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Rime
  • Cube Life: Island Survival
  • Untitled Steamworld Game
  • Untitled 3D Mario game

Unconfirmed leaks and other rumors

• Possible customized Tegra X1 SoC that changes between docking and vice versa clock speed
  • 3 hours of battery life, may have an increase depending on certain titles
  • 4 GB of Ram
  • 32 GB of internal storage space
  • SD Card support up to 128 GB
  • Touchscreen 720p
  • Europe Launch leaked March 17, 2017
  • Cost of console 250 Euros, converts to $263.43 USD

And some sigs for your personal hype and enjoyment!

So, without further delay speculate away!

#2 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5722 posts) -

2nd post!

Hoping for Zelda, Mario and Kart on day one.

Will be satisfied with Zelda or Mario and Kart or Splatoon.

#3 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Yeah boy, that Switch hype has begun.

The Legend of Zelda: Official Game Trailer - Nintendo E3 2016

Loading Video...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Life in the Ruins

Loading Video...

First Look at Nintendo Switch

Loading Video...

#4 Posted by arad96 (7783 posts) -

4th for Arsenal

Expecting the usual Nintendo formula with another Mario game with the release and a few other familiar IPs

#5 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

Why did you locked my thread?

#6 Posted by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: Your question was already answered, but again, all current Switch threads are locked.

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (37384 posts) -

Bait & switch.

#8 Posted by superbuuman (6111 posts) -

Excited about finding out more detail about it soon...will sell better than Wii U. :P

Zelda BotW on Switchy launch day..yes please! :P

Skyrim on Switchy launch day?...yes I will buy. :P

#9 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Your question was already answered, but again, all current Switch threads are locked.

But.... but I worked very hard to be ready for the hype thread was hoping it would be sticky.... :(

#10 Posted by bowserjr123 (2472 posts) -

Only 4 days, 3 hours, 33 minutes, and 20 seconds to go...

#11 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Unless they announced amazing 1st party, its kinda sad how the only incentive to buy the system is a WiiU port of Zelda that's been announced over 2 years ago. Normally, when a new gen begins, not only is there at least a couple of good launch titles *that aren't ports from previous gen* but we see a significant boost to tech, so even playing a "meh" game can be enjoyable since the tech is new. You ain't getting any of that shit on the Switch :(

#12 Posted by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: Should have asked bro :P If you want I can copy your OP (quote it, in essence) and paste it here.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
#13 Edited by deactivated-587acdd100f19 (908 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Unless they announced amazing 1st party, its kinda sad how the only incentive to buy the system is a WiiU port of Zelda that's been announced over 2 years ago. Normally, when a new gen begins, not only is there at least a couple of good launch titles *that aren't ports from previous gen* but we see a significant boost to tech, so even playing a "meh" game can be enjoyable since the tech is new. You ain't getting any of that shit on the Switch :(

Gaming is about more than just new tech and graphics. Switch will get a lot of games you won't find on other systems. Games that a lot of people enjoy like Pokémon and Monster Hunter.

#14 Posted by sailor232 (6860 posts) -

I'm excited to see if Nintendo has learned anything from all those WiiU failings. Bring back exciting Nintendo again I say.

#15 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@sailor232: Well find out real quick if they increase that lousy 2 million Switch production number.

#16 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@Ghost_Dub said:
@silversix_ said:

Gaming is about more than just new tech and graphics. Switch will get a lot of games you won't find on other systems. Games that a lot of people enjoy like Pokémon and Monster Hunter.

Implying Nintendo will ever make a pokemon game for a home console lol.

#17 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

I'm excited to see if Nintendo has learned anything from all those WiiU failings. Bring back exciting Nintendo again I say.

good luck

#18 Posted by sailor232 (6860 posts) -

@silversix_ said:
@sailor232 said:

good luck

Thanks, us old Nintendo fans are going to need it.

#19 Posted by PSP107 (16979 posts) -

@sailor232:

Bring back SNES. =(

#20 Edited by gago-gago (12050 posts) -

Thank you for this sticky. Got so tired with all these rumors and crap. I just need the Switch to make their exclusives look amazing, have a solid online component, not priced more than the PS4 Slim/Xbox One S, and have third party support. If their launch line up is decent I may get it at launch but my price point is under or around $299, we'll see. I miss Nintendo games.

#21 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

@Desmonic: go ahead, just as long as I get credit

Also add in Zassimick's sigs and Avatars for those that are hyped

#22 Posted by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: Done. For Zass's stuff, he's gonna have to stop being a lazy bum! Ya hear that @zassimick stop procrastinating, ya bastard!

#23 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

Why lock threads with on going discussion? This board is anemic as is and then mods come in an stifle active discussion by continuing their obsession with topic consolidation. I mean really are the servers going to 'splode if we make a few topics on the same subject? I know you guys are probably just doing what you're told but, yeah, it's just silly.

#24 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

This might in as the saddest hype thread ever. I can't wait.

#25 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Some funny stuff!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#26 Posted by storm_of_swords (2103 posts) -

@22Toothpicks said:

Why lock threads with on going discussion? This board is anemic as is and then mods come in an stifle active discussion by continuing their obsession with topic consolidation. I mean really are the servers going to 'splode if we make a few topics on the same subject? I know you guys are probably just doing what you're told but, yeah, it's just silly.

Agreed. I hate when the mods do this.

I was enjoying the discussion in some of those other threads and these consolidated "official" threads always end up having nothing but shallow discussion. We need to be allowed to have threads about specific individual talking points related to the Nintendo Switch so that the conversations in those threads can be more focused with deeper discussion than what this thread will generate.

In this thread, we will have one person talking about the price, and then the next person will change the topic to a launch title, and then the next person will change the topic to discussing the specs, etc., and none of the talking points will get any deep discussion.

I think what the mods are doing here is absolutely silly. What are you trying to accomplish by locking good threads with active discussion? Every single thread made today is still on the very first page of this board, so it's not like this board has so much activity that threads are getting lost due to too many Nintendo Switch threads.

#27 Posted by Flyincloud1116 (6418 posts) -

@22Toothpicks said:

It is kinda annoying.

#28 Posted by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@flyincloud1116 said:

This might in as the saddest hype thread ever. I can't wait.

Not a hype thread, it's a sticky.

@22Toothpicks said:

@storm_of_swords said:
@22Toothpicks said:

Agreed. I hate when the mods do this.

I was enjoying the discussion in some of those other threads and these consolidated "official" threads always end up having nothing but shallow discussion. We need to be allowed to have threads about specific individual talking points related to the Nintendo Switch so that the conversations in those threads can be more focused with deeper discussion than what this thread will generate.

In this thread, we will have one person talking about the price, and then the next person will change the topic to a launch title, and then the next person will change the topic to discussing the specs, etc., and none of the talking points will get any deep discussion.

I think what the mods are doing here is absolutely silly. What are you trying to accomplish by locking good threads with active discussion? Every single thread made today is still on the very first page of this board, so it's not like this board has so much activity that threads are getting lost due to too many Nintendo Switch threads.

And you will be able to have several topics again. When things calm down. This has been the lay of the land for a long time. PS4, XB1, WiiU all went through this (in fact the XB1 and PS4 threads were quite huge from what I remember).

#29 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@Desmonic: Yeah, I know that's how it's always been. It still doesn't make any sense. storm_of_swords is right, it's hard to maintain discussion on specific issues in these catch-all threads. W/e, I guess GS staff don't care about an active community that can lead to increased web traffic.

#30 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Omg, Krysta already getting ready.

#31 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (5722 posts) -

@silversix_: right like Killzone, Knack and Ryse.

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

Looking forward to it

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#33 Edited by storm_of_swords (2103 posts) -

@Desmonic: I know it's been the lay of the land for a long time, but I still think it is silly and should be changed.

We shouldn't have to wait until things calm down to have threads dedicated to deeper discussions about individual specific talking points. After things calm down it won't be as fun anymore. These kind of events should be the most exciting and active time on a board like this with many threads each focused and generating deep discussion on one of the many interesting talking points that people are eager to discuss during an exciting event like this.

But instead of getting that, any kind of focused discussion on specific talking points gets restrained and this board ends up looking deader than usual since we are all forced to keep all discussion about absolutely anything remotely related to the Nintendo Switch in just this one thread for the next week or so. And in a catch-all thread like this it's impossible to generate anything more than shallow conversation about the event. And then by the time that we are allowed to create specific topics again, the excitement and energy from the event is all gone and we missed out on what could have been a very fun and active time on this board.

#34 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

My realistic expectations for the event:

-No talk of specs other than the typical superficial Ninty stuff (Wi-fi, storage, battery life etc)
-Details on price and availability
-A complete rundown of features
-Zelda BotW clip
-More footage of the new Mario
-A trailer for the Mario x Rabbids game
-Lots of talk about "enhanced" Wii U ports
-A short montage showcasing 3rd party games like FIFA, NBA 2K, Skyrim
-Recorded interviews of many devs saying how amazed they are by the device. So amazed that they announce zero fucking games for it

Yeah, I'm keeping myself in check for this one. Nintendo loves to disappoint when they have the whole world's attention.

Oh and a lovely surprise teaser of Retro's project would make the show for me. I doubt it's even discussed though.

#35 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

As if these were the only games available... Also, KZ felt next gen. It wasn't a very good game at all but it felt like you're playing on new hardware and a game that is not possible on a 7th gen system.

#36 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Rumor has it Mario will be there on launch day. A new Zelda+Mario is already a pretty solid line-up. But, yeah, I expect LOTS of Wii U ports. That's a good strategy for Ninty as Wii U sold like ass but it's not very appealing for current owners of the system...which is like their most dedicated fans. Yup, one giant Nintendo middle finger to them.

#37 Edited by waahahah (2114 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:

@Desmonic: I know it's been the lay of the land for a long time, but I still think it is silly and should be changed.

We shouldn't have to wait until things calm down to have threads dedicated to deeper discussions about individual specific talking points. After things calm down it won't be as fun anymore. These kind of events should be the most exciting and active time on a board like this with many threads each focused and generating deep discussion on one of the many interesting talking points that people are eager to discuss during an exciting event like this.

But instead of getting that, any kind of focused discussion on specific talking points gets restrained and this board ends up looking deader than usual since we are all forced to keep all discussion about absolutely anything remotely related to the Nintendo Switch in just this one thread for the next week or so. And in a catch-all thread like this it's impossible to generate anything more than shallow conversation about the event. And then by the time that we are allowed to create specific topics again, the excitement and energy from the event is all gone and we missed out on what could have been a very fun and active time on this board.

This, a single thread doesn't make sense unless you want to start treating it more as a comment section where you blurt something out and move on. Unfortunately the game spot forum doesn't have good comment threads so.. guess over to Reddit for Nintendo discussions.

I guess we can push this thread to discuss about whether or not it makes any sense to close ALL the threads related to something and post a brand new one. Seems like its better to do it on a case by case basis..

#38 Edited by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@waahahah said:
@storm_of_swords said:

This, a single thread doesn't make sense unless you want to start treating it more as a comment section where you blurt something out and move on. Unfortunately the game spot forum doesn't have good comment threads so.. guess over to Reddit for Nintendo discussions.

I guess we can push this thread to discuss about whether or not it makes any sense to close ALL the threads related to something and post a brand new one. Seems like its better to do it on a case by case basis..

"Deep discussion"? On System Wars? Once in a blue moon and only if we (the mod team) are there to make sure the more "traditional SW comments" don't get made and/or it's between a couple of specific posters (check the Lounge for more on that).

If you must know, you can thank your fellow "deep discussion" buddies for this. For a long time, even before I was a mod, in the days leading up to a release of console any random thing was/is used as an excuse to make a new thread. A random video of a random YT dude that has as much credibility as any other user here. A random, unsourced, claim from an unknown website. Random tweets. Repeated topics of stuff that's already been discussed/debunked/dead and buried. Etc, etc. With this, all of that is not only avoided but better controled too (as those people also usually don't actually post in these threads, only the people really interested in the topic do so), plus we, the mod team, have a much easier time cutting down on the BS.

It is what it is. If you want to take your discussion elsewhere there isn't much I can do to stop you.

FYI, you didn't hear it from me, but the forums have for a loooong time not been GS's main money maker. Which does explain a lot of stuff that has happened in the last 10 or so years but I digress. Second FYI is that mods are just regular users that volunteer for this (though it is indeed the actual staff that picks people out, never the other way around).

#39 Edited by Gatygun (946 posts) -

Who closes all topics about different subjects and tries to merge it in one.

How do forums work.

Anyway.

I will be looking for downgrades. I got the feeling zelda is going to look like a turd. Think about really low polygonal tree's and objects, with extremely limited lighting sources + grass and any density on that stuff in general.

With wonky animations + color paterns and ofcourse you standard extreme amounts of bloom + glow filters blind your eyes from looking at any detail.

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (82666 posts) -

@silversix_ said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

As if these were the only games available... Also, KZ felt next gen. It wasn't a very good game at all but it felt like you're playing on new hardware and a game that is not possible on a 7th gen system.

No it doesn't :/

It feels like a shinier seventh gen game. Nothing about it feels next gen. Witcher 3 and MGSV are the only two games that feel next gen so far, maybe Hitman, but I haven't actually played that enough to be able to pass judgement on it

#41 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@silversix_ said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

It feels like a shinier seventh gen game. Nothing about it feels next gen. Witcher 3 and MGSV are the only two games that feel next gen so far, maybe Hitman, but I haven't actually played that enough to be able to pass judgement on it

As much as I'm enjoying Deus Ex: Mankind Divide, it doesn't look graphically next gen at all. It looks like a much shinier version of Human Revolution, with better lighting and less foliage on the skin.

#42 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@silversix_ said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I would argue that no game this gen has gone beyond the scope of last gen systems. Yes, detail would be downgraded considerably on some games but they would still work on 7th gen consoles. Now consider something like RDR or MGS4 running on the PS2/GC/Xbox...yeah not gonna fucking happen no matter what sacrifices are made.

#43 Posted by Desmonic (19933 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: If they nailed their animations better, it would. It looks much, much better than HR. Alas the animations do feel a bit... "old". On a related tangent, their idea of open map/hubworld and execution is pretty damn great.

#44 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@FireEmblem_Man: If they nailed their animations better, it would. It looks much, much better than HR. Alas the animations do feel a bit... "old". On a related tangent, their idea of open map/hubworld and execution is pretty damn great.

Yep, it's still a great game. It's just a bit disappointing visually.

#45 Posted by 22Toothpicks (12540 posts) -

@Desmonic said:
@waahahah said:
@storm_of_swords said:

"Deep discussion"? On System Wars? Once in a blue moon and only if we (the mod team) are there to make sure the more "traditional SW comments" don't get made and/or it's between a couple of specific posters (check the Lounge for more on that).

If you must know, you can thank your fellow "deep discussion" buddies for this. For a long time, even before I was a mod, in the days leading up to a release of console any random thing was/is used as an excuse to make a new thread. A random video of a random YT dude that has as much credibility as any other user here. A random, unsourced, claim from an unknown website. Random tweets. Repeated topics of stuff that's already been discussed/debunked/dead and buried. Etc, etc. With this, all of that is not only avoided but better controled too (as those people also usually don't actually post in these threads, only the people really interested in the topic do so), plus we, the mod team, have a much easier time cutting down on the BS.

It is what it is. If you want to take your discussion elsewhere there isn't much I can do to stop you.

FYI, you didn't hear it from me, but the forums have for a loooong time not been GS's main money maker. Which does explain a lot of stuff that has happened in the last 10 or so years but I digress. Second FYI is that mods are just regular users that volunteer for this (though it is indeed the actual staff that picks people out, never the other way around).

Uh isn't that why you mods exist? To mitigate the fruitless discussions? I hate to keep arguing this point but you have to admit this extreme way of handling things is silly. Why can't we have a middle ground? If mods were more proactive we could have open discussion on a single, general topic across multiple threads that are more specific in scope while the pointless ones like those framed around baseless speculation are locked. Like, you know, mods actually being mods instead of sweeping everything under one giant rug?

I realize this might sound antagonistic. I assure you that is not my intent. I just think this is all very silly.

#46 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

When it comes to 3rd parties, since Gamecube, western studios always compromise their ports taking away key features vs the PS2 and OG Xbox version. Granted, Nintendo didn't push Online for the GC, the PS2 Online features were barebones, and OG Xbox Live changed everything. Only way to go online with GC was if game supported LAN with other special mods.

#47 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19198 posts) -

Nintendo better make my dreams come true.

#48 Edited by wolverine4262 (20831 posts) -

Ill just repost what I said in chaz's thread and not argue with the clearly power hungry @Desmonic

I wonder if ninty realizes they are cutting their potential market share in half with this product.

#49 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (17683 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Ill just repost what I said in chaz's thread and not argue with the clearly power hungry @Desmonic

I wonder if ninty realizes they are cutting their potential market share in half with this product.

What Market Shares? Only by 5 million? I'm referring to those that bought a Wii U, not including 3DS sales.

#50 Edited by ColdCaseLuke (94 posts) -

When is the last time a thread like this has reached the maximum posting limit?