Official Mass Effect Discussion Thread (8.5) - IGNORING = SUSPENSION

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2201 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
I just spoke to the Prothean AI on Ilos. Wow, the plot is really something special, they go into so much detail even if they don't need to. I hope there isn't a Halo 2 like ending, that would ruin the whole experience for me.
Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2202 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

I just spoke to the Prothean AI on Ilos. Wow, the plot is really something special, they go into so much detail even if they don't need to. I hope there isn't a Halo 2 like ending, that would ruin the whole experience for me.KrazyKenKutarag

This part of the Mass Effect story comes to a conclusive end. I tired to say that without giving anyway anything but it's safe to say there is closure and the end will make you want to explore every part of the game world you missed the first time. I'm not sure if I should say why it will make you want to explore but that's what it made me feel like doing. If anyone posts a spolier thread I will explain it more fully.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2203 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Mind me asking but what is the exploration on planets like?

Can you explore vast enviroments, or are the areas small and contained?

Aslo can you hop out of that rover buggy anywhere on the planets surface?

Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2204 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
[QUOTE="Tamarind_Face"][QUOTE="Forza_2"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

FFXII sunk like the Titanic. How well did that game sell in the US?

BioShockOwnz

It sold well in the US but that FF comment is just plain laughable.

"but it just can't keep up with Final fantasy..."

:lol:

FF12 sold like 5.5 million copies worldwide. Mass Effect would be lucky to even reach 1 million because of its niche genre and consisting of heavy dialogue(most people despise games with heavy text and dialogue).

I think Mass Effect's release time is really bad. It came out at the same time as COD4, Assassin's Creed, Rockband, Guitar Hero etc. Many gamers may just rent it.

Mass Effect will outsell R&C and Uncharted over the next month.

... Stop trying to bash other games IN A TOPIC ABOUT MASS EFFECT ONLY!!! Also FF12 did good in every Region-Europe,North America,and Japan.

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2205 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts
So far I would have to agree with the review. The few small problems that exist ruin some of the game for me. The AI can be terrible at times. Early in the game there were some enemies who just wouldn't attack me. I could be right next to them, and shoot at them, but they would just stand there. Luckily that was very rare, but my allies AI is always horrible. Even if I send them behind cover they'll just move out into the open and get killed right away. They also will just get in my way, so I can't shoot at the enemy. I still think it's a great game, but it can get incredibly frustrating when my team dies all the time leaving me by myself to get destroyed.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2206 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

Am I the only one who's taking my time playing the game and not rushing it.

Forza_2

This is an open RPG. You're better off asking who is rushing it.

why play games if you just want to rush though........

Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2207 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

I can't believe Cows and Hermit's are trying to discredit Mass Effect because it isn't on their system.

That's the ONLY reason.

The technical issues in Mass Effect are so UNIMPORTANT that if it actually hinders your GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE then you shouldnt be playing games. I barely notice the texture load-in anymore, i've never been caught in any "clipping" and, for the most part, the combat has been hectic and exciting.

Second best game I've played in my life, and I've been gaming since the Master System.

BambooBanger

That was so inaccurate 'bout hermits(they know its coming to pc sooner or later even if they have to hacK). If a game has technical issues its not acceptable. i mean i want to spend 60 dollars only a game that has Zero bugs. if it does have bugs i expect it to be patched immediataly. But i dont think MAssy's bugs really take's away from the experience.

Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2208 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

skrat_01

It depends on the planet. You can hop out of the rover on any planet and most outside of the main story are large with a few points of interest. These points of interest include basses, monkey colonies, debris, wrecks and various other things you might expect to find on a planet uninhabited by an advanced civilization.

The planets within the main story are smaller but more focused and are similar to those found in KOTOR, some also have areas where you can drive your APC. Besides planets there are stations and abandoned ships to explore. What you find seems varied and sometimes you will find information related to someone or something back on the citidel (centre point of galactic civilization), other times it will be more general information or loot and often when you go to one of these systems it will activate a side quest from alliance command. As much as I have played this game i still feel I'm just scratching the surface as far as exploration is concerned.

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2209 rocktimusprime
i just finished noveria how far am in in the main storyline without spoiling much, like % wise
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2210 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts

Mass Effect is really awesome and by far my favorite game of this gen. I strongly disagree with GameSpot's score and it really is a joke that Halo 3 scored a whole point higher.

spidadragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2211 spidadragon1
Member since 2007 • 1844 Posts

The only issues I have:

1. The framerate can get very bad during the heat of larger battles. It is pretty much unacceptable. I didn't notice this at first, but once you really get into the meaty part of the game, it happens.

2. Texture loading. It's like textures load every single time a camera changes in a cutscene. Some environments take a good 15-20 seconds to load the textures at times. GeoW had this problem, but not as bad as found here.

3. The Mako. What an inaccurate gun turret it has. Dear lord! It's next to worthless. If that wasn't bad enough, it drives much worse than a Warthog.

Other than these complaints, it's one of the best games I've ever played. That's why these issues are such a disappointment for me.

BioShockOwnz

I find that if you turn off the motion blur it helps, at least for me.

spidadragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2212 spidadragon1
Member since 2007 • 1844 Posts

The only issues I have:

1. The framerate can get very bad during the heat of larger battles. It is pretty much unacceptable. I didn't notice this at first, but once you really get into the meaty part of the game, it happens.

2. Texture loading. It's like textures load every single time a camera changes in a cutscene. Some environments take a good 15-20 seconds to load the textures at times. GeoW had this problem, but not as bad as found here.

3. The Mako. What an inaccurate gun turret it has. Dear lord! It's next to worthless. If that wasn't bad enough, it drives much worse than a Warthog.

Other than these complaints, it's one of the best games I've ever played. That's why these issues are such a disappointment for me.

BioShockOwnz

I find that if you turn off the motion blur it helps, at least for me.

MM555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2213 MM555
Member since 2006 • 1539 Posts
From what I'm hearing, Mass Effect is a great game.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2214 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts

From what I'm hearing, Mass Effect is a great game. MM555

It's an excellent game. I think it's the best 360 game out right now.

Avatar image for ItalStallion777
ItalStallion777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2215 ItalStallion777
Member since 2005 • 1953 Posts

Am I the only one who's takingthe time playing the game and not rushing it? I'm trying my best to finish most of the sidequests before progressing the main story whenever I can. There were several so far that were really fun, like the religious cult one. I can easily see myself going over 40 hours in my first play through if I keep it up.

kankthetank

i've been wondering something about the side quests. is it really black and white, meaning you would only choose to do this certain side quest because you character is good and only do that one because your character is bad? (ex. in oblivion fighters/mages guild quests are good and dark brotherhood quests are bad) have you found any where no matter how good or bad you are, you're really not sure if it will have good or bad effects?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2216 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Mass Effect >>>>>>>

Been playing this game alot the last few days and i am just loving this game.... Probably my favorite game this gen (mario is also amazing)

Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2217 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

Am I the only one who's takingthe time playing the game and not rushing it? I'm trying my best to finish most of the sidequests before progressing the main story whenever I can. There were several so far that were really fun, like the religious cult one. I can easily see myself going over 40 hours in my first play through if I keep it up.

ItalStallion777

i've been wondering something about the side quests. is it really black and white, meaning you would only choose to do this certain side quest because you character is good and only do that one because your character is bad? (ex. in oblivion fighters/mages guild quests are good and dark brotherhood quests are bad) have you found any where no matter how good or bad you are, you're really not sure if it will have good or bad effects?

No, is most side quests you get subtle and not so subtle choices that will give you Renegade points (bad) or Paragon points (good). You get full control of your characters progression.

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2218 rocktimusprime
[QUOTE="ItalStallion777"][QUOTE="kankthetank"]

KrazyKenKutarag

some are character related, like I got to do a pretty cool mission for Garrus' backstory, I wont spoil anymore.

No, is most side quests you get subtle and not so subtle choices that will give you Renegade points (bad) or Paragon points (good). You get full control of your characters progression.

RogueGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2219 RogueGoose
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

I'm on my second go through. My first go was 21 hours, I'm 12 hours into the second and have already found a LOT of new stuff it's almost like the game + an expansion. It's awesome.darklord888

Wow... Thats short for an RPG... My first run through of FF 12 was about 70 hours... And thats with out hunts or anything else...

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2220 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts
Wow... Thats short for an RPG... My first run through of FF 12 was about 70 hours... And thats with out hunts or anything else...RogueGoose
And what was your second ?
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2221 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts
so anybody know if you should clear the cache before playing or not?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2222 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

Sir_Graham

It depends on the planet. You can hop out of the rover on any planet and most outside of the main story are large with a few points of interest. These points of interest include basses, monkey colonies, debris, wrecks and various other things you might expect to find on a planet uninhabited by an advanced civilization.

The planets within the main story are smaller but more focused and are similar to those found in KOTOR, some also have areas where you can drive your APC. Besides planets there are stations and abandoned ships to explore. What you find seems varied and sometimes you will find information related to someone or something back on the citidel (centre point of galactic civilization), other times it will be more general information or loot and often when you go to one of these systems it will activate a side quest from alliance command. As much as I have played this game i still feel I'm just scratching the surface as far as exploration is concerned.

Thanks for the details - is much better than what I expected.

I thought every level would be pretty contained and linear. Nice to see there is loads of exploration to be done.

Still im going to be either exploring Medieval Cities in AC, or Exploring new worlds in ME....

RogueGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2223 RogueGoose
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

[QUOTE="RogueGoose"]Wow... Thats short for an RPG... My first run through of FF 12 was about 70 hours... And thats with out hunts or anything else...Forza_2
And what was your second ?

I'll tell you when I'm done... But I'm around 100 right now.... Still a ton of thingsto do..

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2226 Forza_2

I'll tell you when I'm done... But I'm around 100 right now.... Still a ton of thingsto do..

RogueGoose

Jesus man, that's short for an RPG. I spent more than 200 hours in KOTOR.

BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2227 BlazeDragon132
Member since 2006 • 7951 Posts
[QUOTE="RogueGoose"]

Forza_2

I have 120 hours in Blue Dragon and I still haven't 1000 gamerscore it. Just proves the hours the recommend is if you just want to beat the game.

valakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2228 valakos
Member since 2004 • 287 Posts
at least with this 8.5 score it shows gamespot isn't displaying any bias like cows and wii fanatics keep saying. I say the xbox 360 has already got an excellent library (far more AAA's than the wii or ps3) and the score was fair.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2229 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Thanks for the details - is much better than what I expected. I thought every level would be pretty contained and linear. Nice to see there is loads of exploration to be done. Still im going to be either exploring Medieval Cities in AC, or Exploring new worlds in ME....

Yeah my mate after reading all the reviews started getting his hopes down, but after he played it today he said he was happily surprised. But my dilemma with AC/ME is over. Some dude just decided he'd trade in five games for my Guitar Hero II, so here comes my free copy of Mass Effect :D.
XanaduTheBand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2230 XanaduTheBand
Member since 2005 • 2971 Posts
Doesn't it say in the review that the turret can't aim up or down? Because I can move the turret up and down with my copy. I also have had only one pop-up (a tree shadow, lol ) and very minor slowdowns from time to time. Typical of bioware games in my opinion and it didn't relly distract much just as it didn't in KOTOR. I'm starting to wonder if GS got a final build to preview because a lot of the minor technical things they dogged the game on just aren't there for me. Great game BTW and the story is money.
BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2231 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts

Doesn't it say in the review that the turret can't aim up or down? Because I can move the turret up and down with my copy. I also have had only one pop-up (a tree shadow, lol ) and very minor slowdowns from time to time. Typical of bioware games in my opinion and it didn't relly distract much just as it didn't in KOTOR. I'm starting to wonder if GS got a final build to preview because a lot of the minor technical things they dogged the game on just aren't there for me. Great game BTW and the story is money.XanaduTheBand

Yeah, the review is wrong about the turret moving up and down. It does move, but not by much. As far as the texture poping anytime a new cutscene enters or after a load it happens.

The game is the best 8.5 game I have EVER played.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2232 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Thanks for the details - is much better than what I expected. I thought every level would be pretty contained and linear. Nice to see there is loads of exploration to be done. Still im going to be either exploring Medieval Cities in AC, or Exploring new worlds in ME....FrozenLiquid
Yeah my mate after reading all the reviews started getting his hopes down, but after he played it today he said he was happily surprised. But my dilemma with AC/ME is over. Some dude just decided he'd trade in five games for my Guitar Hero II, so here comes my free copy of Mass Effect :D.

Well I have a devious plan...

I intend to buy a whole bunch of preowned games on special - buy two get one free - half price, get 4 preowned 360 games - probably 4 $15 (AUD) table tennis copies, and, and trade all 4 for a free AC, or ME.

$60 AUD, instead of $110 :P

55% off for M.E, or A.C through the flaws of the pre owned system :D

EB doesent stand a chance.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2233 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
just a quick not to say i think the review was a bit unfair, although all the rumbers seem to be going down on gamespot which makes a 9.5 or a 10 all the more meaningfull. although i thibk gamespots reviews are usallly round about spot on (pun intended)
Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2234 Sir-Marwin105
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts
[QUOTE="RogueGoose"]

Forza_2

Maybe through mulltiple playthroughs, but there is no way your first play through was 200 hours.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2235 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
still trying to figure out why they said this game is only 12 hours short. i left the citadel when i was about 9 hours into the game. im guessing you can finish it in 12 hours if you play a new game with the previous game save and skip the sidequest.
Avatar image for VividScientific
VividScientific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2236 VividScientific
Member since 2003 • 1871 Posts
GS, are telling me that Assasins Creed is better than Mass Effect?! BS, and everyone knows it.
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2237 kankthetank
Member since 2003 • 4212 Posts

GS, are telling me that Assasins Creed is better than Mass Effect?! BS, and everyone knows it.VividScientific

I don't care about the rating, 8.5 is great butit's the fact that GS didn't award it an Editor's Choice award, when it's arguably the best RPG on the system (hey, I've been enjoying it more than Oblivion so far; but I have that on PC :P ) that's pissing me off. Plus, why the heck didn't they award it a graphics merit? Who cares if the framerate isn't solid, this is one of the best looking console games!!

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2238 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
still trying to figure out why they said this game is only 12 hours short. i left the citadel when i was about 9 hours into the game. im guessing you can finish it in 12 hours if you play a new game with the previous game save and skip the sidequest. istreakforfood

I'm guessing they just raced through it. This is NOT a game you're meant to just dive right in, there is a ton of stuff to do but if you skip it and and simply do the main quest then yeah it might take 12 hours but really...what a waste of a great game.

It's likesayingOblivion is 6 hours long because I only did the main quest, well what about the 20+ hours exploring and 40+ side quests?
kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2239 kankthetank

[QUOTE="istreakforfood"]still trying to figure out why they said this game is only 12 hours short. i left the citadel when i was about 9 hours into the game. im guessing you can finish it in 12 hours if you play a new game with the previous game save and skip the sidequest. darklord888

I'm guessing they just raced through it. This is NOT a game you're meant to just dive right in, there is a ton of stuff to do but if you skip it and and simply do the main quest then yeah it might take 12 hours but really...what a waste of a great game.

It's Oblivion is 6 hours long because I only did the main quest, well what about the 20+ hours exploring and 40+ side quests?

Not only that. Even if you do everything your first time through, there's STILL a ton of stuff you haven't seen(depending on your behavior :P )that requires a second playthrough.I think Adam Sessler's video says it best:

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-87331.aspx

kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2240 kankthetank

So many replies about Mass Effect but no one commented on how hilarious the Elcor's speech is: Genuine laughterrr, LOL!!!

Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2241 Sir-Marwin105

So many replies about Mass Effect but no one commented on how hilarious the Elcor's speech is: Genuine laughterrr, LOL!!!

kankthetank
Dismayed reply.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2242 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

Sir-Marwin105
Dismayed reply.

I wonder where they got the idea? ;)
DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2243 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts
[QUOTE="Sir-Marwin105"][QUOTE="kankthetank"]

darklord888

Dismayed reply.

I wonder where they got the idea? ;)

Polite Query: Where indeed?

Kotor owns.

kankthetank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2245 kankthetank

Wow...too many OMFG moments. I'm currently playing the game and came across many awesome sidequests that actually were a result of what I chose as my background description at the start and the good things I'vedone so far. WOW...BioWare...what a deep game you made...Without spoiling, I'm loving the sidequests you receive when you dig deep in your squad mates' backgrounds......

Hands down, this is how an RPG should be made; it's the definition of roleplaying, and it's quickly becoming one of the best I've played. Oh, and let me say it again, the combat is awesome and only gets better and more intense as you upgrade your weapons and stats.

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2246 Forza_2

Wow...too many OMFG moments. I'm currently playing the game and came across many awesome sidequests that actually were a result of what I chose as my background description at the start and the good things I'vedone so far.kankthetank

That's what they said they did. Looks like they delivered.

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2247 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Wow...too many OMFG moments. I'm currently playing the game and came across many awesome sidequests that actually were a result of what I chose as my background description at the start and the good things I'vedone so far. WOW...BioWare...what a deep game you made...Without spoiling, I'm loving the sidequests you receive when you dig deep in your squad mates' backgrounds......

Hands down, this is how an RPG should be made; it's the definition of roleplaying, and it's quickly becoming one of the best I've played. Oh, and let me say it again, the combat is awesome and only gets better and more intense as you upgrade your weapons and stats.

kankthetank

Better then KOTOR?

books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2248 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts
Not bad about what I expected
Sir-Marwin105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2249 Sir-Marwin105
I can't wait to find out what happened on A'Cuz (SP?). I was the only one who survived. :(
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2250 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
[QUOTE="kankthetank"]

Bansheesdie

Better then KOTOR?

I think it is. It's funny, after all the terrible things I heard about the combat in ME, it turns out to be one of my favorite parts of the game. I need to stop listening to other people.