Official Mass Effect Discussion Thread (8.5) - IGNORING = SUSPENSION

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

yeah i say this game will get 8.0-8.5 an is will not betriple A on gamespot imoProtossRushX

Why not join the ME Group Bet on the official Bets thread? Seriously, there's only 2 people betting on AA against 18 for AAA. The AA side could use some support :)

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts

I'm excited. Anyone buying it who knows what class they're going to choose?

See, I want to play through as an adept first to unlock a few of the achievement abilities, then I was thinking of playing through as a vangard with one of those abilities... but I don't know. I really want my vangard right now! Maybe if I play through as a vangard, I could unlock shotguns for an adept. That would be interesting... mage with a shotgun...

Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

See, I want to play through as an adept first to unlock a few of the achievement abilities, then I was thinking of playing through as a vangard with one of those abilities... but I don't know. I really want my vangard right now! Maybe if I play through as a vangard, I could unlock shotguns for an adept. That would be interesting... mage with a shotgun...

project343

I heard about that, unocking different features and abilities when you earn an achievement, whats the deal with that?

DHReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DHReese
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts

[QUOTE="project343"]

Bansheesdie

I heard about that, unocking different features and abilities when you earn an achievement, whats the deal with that?

He meant you get achievements for using abilities an "X amount of times" Like the biotic lift 75 times or so. But some achievements/abilities are only available to the specific person you chose thus meaning you'll have to play through again. So in his example, a Vanguard-cross between Adept/Soldier wouldn't be able to get the engineer achievements.

Edit: Bandsheedies, I just saw what you were talking about. That is for when you play the game the second time through they allow you to better combine traits in order to beat the harder difficulty settings. There are also a few other perks as well that happen.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Holy Crap, just you people wait until you get to the snow level...absolutely gorgeous.
DHReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DHReese

Holy Crap, just you people wait until you get to the snow level...absolutely gorgeous.Verge_6

Verge_6 stop it!!! haha

AHHH 2 days!!!!!!!!!!

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

I hurd it's only 5 hours long if you stop playing it after five hours.InsaneBasura

SWEET!... lol

I cant wait for this game. Tuesday it comes out right.

Looks like COD4 will go to number 2 in myslot now lol

dave003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dave003
Member since 2005 • 6287 Posts
I'm so glad this was released early in Australia. I love how some of the people who haven't yet played it are convinced that this game is very short, as I look at the 16 hours I have already accumulated. I have plenty of side quests left to do, and the end of the main quest isn't even close. I'll tell you right now that this is a 25-30 hour game, and that includes only some sidequests, which I guarantee will distract you from the main storyline.
pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
if you guys want screenshots go to teamxbox.com forums and click the 360 screenshots thread then go to page 110 or so and there are a lot of pics of this game. edit: ok heres a link scroll down a bit http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=550020&page=111
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

So I'm looking at the ME screens on TeamXbox, and I see this. I have a question, WTF is it and why does it have a screenshot?

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 Newnab
Member since 2006 • 3081 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="project343"]

DHReese

He meant you get achievements for using abilities an "X amount of times" Like the biotic lift 75 times or so. But some achievements/abilities are only available to the specific person you chose thus meaning you'll have to play through again. So in his example, a Vanguard-cross between Adept/Soldier wouldn't be able to get the engineer achievements.

Those achievements do count for something though.

Once you've unlocked an achievement for an ability or weapon you get to pick that weapon as an extra special ability when you create a new character, whether or not you're the right profession For example, you can play a Soldier, get the Assault Rifle achievement, and then play through the game again with a new character, such as an Engineer, and give that Engineer the Assault Rifle talent when you start the new game.

Personally, I'm going through on easiest mode as Sentinel. Then carrying one of the Sentinel's tech powers over to an Adept for a playthrough on Hardcore. Then taking one of the biotic powers from Adept onto a Solider for Insanity.

At least that's my plan, if the Sentinel profession isn't TOO gimped to even complete a playthrough on easy.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="DHReese"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="project343"]

Newnab

Once you've unlocked an achievement for an ability or weapon you get to pick that weapon as an extra special ability when you create a new character, whether or not you're the right profession For example, you can play a Soldier, get the Assault Rifle achievement, and then play through the game again with a new character, such as an Engineer, and give that Engineer the Assault Rifle talent when you start the new game.

Personally, I'm going through on easiest mode as Sentinel. Then carrying one of the Sentinel's tech powers over to an Adept for a playthrough on Hardcore. Then taking one of the biotic powers from Adept onto a Solider for Insanity.

At least that's my plan, if the Sentinel profession isn't TOO gimped to even complete a playthrough on easy.

Great. Now I have NO idea how I'll play this game the 1st time :P :P

Talk about replayability without multiplayer :D

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts

So I'm looking at the ME screens on TeamXbox, and I see this. I have a question, WTF is it and why does it have a screenshot?

Bansheesdie

whatever you posted doesnt show up for me.

DHReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DHReese
[QUOTE="DHReese"][QUOTE="Bansheesdie"]

[QUOTE="project343"]

Newnab

Yeah, I just edited when I saw that on the BioWare boards. Im looking at Vanguard initially I think. My memory of KOTOR Force Powers return!! lol

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

Bansheesdie

that is a Hanar, one of the alien races in Mass Effect

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Newnab

I thought I'd post this directly from another thread that I made a while back.... Enjoy!

Everything you need to know - Mass Effect

WARNING. CONTAINS SOME BOOK SPOILERS

The year is 2183 AD. Having discovered alien technology under the surface of Mars, now known to be of "Prothean" origin in 21498, Humanity was able to master the technology of "Mass Effect fields", enabling faster than light travel and with this technology started to explore the galaxy. They discover a "Mass Relay", hidden on one of Pluto's moons, that enables thousands of light years of travel to pass in an instant and they go to whole new galaxies.

In 2155 Humanity built up a fleet and an army, but had not yet found any other forms of life in their travels. However, it wasn't too long before we found something. The first alien race encountered, known as Turians, took an immediate dislike to us and sparked what is now referred to as the First Contact War in 2157.

Eventually "The Citedel Council" intervene and welcome Humanity to the intergalatic stage, imposing a truce between the two species... But all is not forgotten.

After growing considerably and expanding their reach throughout deep space, Humanity is finally offered an embassy on the council.

The Council have their own forces, elite squads refered to as "Spectres". To date, no human has ever been granted the position of a spectre.

As Saren, one of the most renowned Spectres, goes rogue and takes control of a violent AI race (The Geth), and the galaxy draws towards the coming of an ancient machine race known to wipe out all organic life every 50 000 years, you, Captain Shephard, are put forward as a human candidate for the esteemed role of a Spectre.

Races:

Asari: Considered very powerful and held in high political regard, the Asari are key to the council and have the most prominent flagship: The Destiny Ascendant

Turians: Our enemies in the First Contact War, Turians are known for their battle skills and many still have reservations about humanity. They're also responsible for defeating the Krogans and ending their civil war with a biological weapon, leading to the near extinction of the Krogan race.

Quarians: Previously a race of great knowledge and power, they created the Geth, an AI species, for their own uses. This plan backfired, however, and the Geth took over the Quarian homeworld in a bloody uprising. The remaning Quarians wander the galaxy, scavenging mostly, and are looked down upon by the other races for their irresponsibility.

Krogans: Masters of battle and toughened by years of civil war on their home planet before they were discovered by the other races. Many of them live by a "Survival of the fittest" life**** and all are fierce opponents should you cross one. Due to a biological weapon used on them (by the Turians) during the civil war called the Genophage, only one in 1000 Krogan births comes out alive. And for this reason the Krogan are a dying breed.

Hanar: Odd looking, and with an emphasis on politeness in culture, you have to approach these fellows with considerable caution. The lightest of things will be taken by the Hanar as extreme rudeness. They worship the long dead "Protheans" who created much of the technology still used today.

The Geth: Created by the Quarians, the Geth are an AI race who're known to be extremely violent. The more of them in an area, the cleverer they all seem to be, as they can share "brain power". Saren has found a way to control them, it is believed. After the Geth were created strict rules were put in place by the council to try and prevent more AI races being created.

Salarians: Salarians are renowned for their technical ability, and have created the most technological advances in the galaxy after the Protheans. They're peaceful, and a key part of the Council along with the Asari.

Elcor: The politically minded Elcor take years to make decisions, are biologically strong enough to shrug off most attacks and carry weapons that usually only vehicles could handle, and often have intelligent weapon systems working for them. Luckily they're mostly peaceful, and keep to their own, having an abundance of resources with which to sustain themselves seperate from help from the council.

Keepers: Not much is known about the Keepers, as any attempts at examination result in a sort of self-destruct mechanism whereby they melt into acid. They are thought to be organic machines, created by the Prothean long ago to carry out simple tasks.

Volus: Short, fat, and always wearing breathing masks due to the conditions on their home world, the Volus have given up political independence in favour of being protected and controlled by Turians.

Characters:

David Anderson: The first human put forward for the role of a Spectre, denied due to the sabotage of Saren, now settles for his job as YOUR boss.

Saren: After his brother was killed in the First Contact War, Saren, a Turian, has yet to forgive humanity. He has found some way to control the AI race known as the Geth.

Nihlus: A Turian with less hatred than Saren, Nihlus is the one to put your name forward for the Spectre program, and has considerable faith in you.

Garrus: A Turian male who joins your party

Ashley Williams: A human female gunnery sargeant who joins your party

Liara: An Asari party member with an intense passion for Prothean technology

Kaiden: A human male party member who is with you from the start

Urdnot Wrex: One of the last Krogan battle masters, Wrex has turned on his people and their lust for death and nothing more and has been making a living in various jobs including bodyguard, bounty hunter and mercenary, and even a soldier.

Tali: A female Quarian party member

Joker: The pilot of the Normandy, your ship.

Navigator Pressly and Corperal Jenkins: Some of your staff on the Normandy

Benezia: An Asari who has allied with Saren

Suit up, Shephard. You've got a job to do.

Six possible Professions:

Soldier - Weapons based skills

Adept - Emphasis on Biotic powers such as warp, throw, etc

Engineer - Emphasis on tech powers such as electronics, decryption, mines

Infiltrator - A mix of soldiers and engineers

Vanguard - A mix of soldiers and adepts

Sentinels - A mix of adept and engineers

REVIEWS:

Gamespot: Incoming

IGN: Incoming

Gamespy: Incoming

TeamXbox: Incoming

1up: Incoming

Game Informer: 9.75

More?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="Bansheesdie"][QUOTE="CushVA"]

few more tidbits on length, including a reviewer (1st link)

28 hours:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8642375&postcount=2065

45 Hours:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8643506&postcount=2070

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

So around 25-30 hours for the main quest alone, and about 40-50 for everything? Thats respectable.

How come people are posting that it's only 12 hours long then :?

because one person said he beat it in 12 hours and cows are currently using his statement as truth. sounds like this game is actually longer then kotor.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Vanguard> all 8)
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
This game looks good. I say 9.0 maybe a 9.5
krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts
9.5 here. Unless the team AI really is as bad as people say, maybe a 9.0.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
This game looks good. I say 9.0 maybe a 9.5blizzvalve
same
-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts
Twelve hours until the IGN review is posted!
Avatar image for ZoneOmega_basic
ZoneOmega_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ZoneOmega_basic
Member since 2002 • 835 Posts
I'm going to say between 8.0-9.0 here at gamespot because the game has a few minor points they could pick on. Personally, though, this could end up being my favorite game ever.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

Twelve hours until the IGN review is posted!-Tretiak

I'll stay tune to that and post it here when it comes out.

dave003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dave003
Member since 2005 • 6287 Posts

[QUOTE="-Tretiak"]Twelve hours until the IGN review is posted!blizzvalve

I'll stay tune to that and post it here when it comes out.

Thanks man! Typing 360.ign.com into the address bar is no more!
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#76 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

project343

Soldier.

It's like the Heavy Weapons Guy said:

Some people think that they can outsmart me. But I have yet to meet one who can outsmart bullet.

Wisest words ever spoken.

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 -Tretiak
Think I'll be a Sentinel. Partially because I think it'll be a challenge, but mostly because I love the aspects of the game that the Sentinel class is effective in. But I can't wait to play through this beast with every class. :D
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
This game should get 9.0 at least solely based on one of it's missions. I have never been so shocked and amazed in any game ever before.
-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 -Tretiak

This game should get 9.0 at least solely based on one of it's missions. I have never been so shocked and amazed in any game ever before.darklord888

I just need to say, your avatar is f'ing awesome. :lol:

i-lick-monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 i-lick-monkeys
Member since 2007 • 2971 Posts

this game will score a 10

slikonebtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 slikonebtz
Member since 2005 • 1082 Posts

i got this game a few days ago and it realy does own but after 12 and a half hours playing i was shocked to see the end credits! i wasnt running through iteither i was playing at an average pace, u could probly do a 4 hour speed run of this game which i find very disapointing! yea theres loads of side bits to do but the urge to play is basicly gone once u know the story. the mainstory should of lasted way longer since this is an rpg after all. all in all im not happy :/

if each game in the trilogy is this long they should of just released one title with the whole story

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 darklord888
While I do wish it was a good 40 hours like kotor was it isn't 12. I'm at 19 hours and have't finished yet, I also haven't done a lot of side quests either. This game could hit 30-35 hours easily if you do everything.
D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts
Wait a tic!? This thread's missing angry cows. WHRE ARE THE ANGRY COWS?!?
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 darklord888
Wait a tic!? This thread's missing angry cows. WHRE ARE THE ANGRY COWS?!?D0013ER

:P
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Wait a tic!? This thread's missing angry cows. WHRE ARE THE ANGRY COWS?!?D0013ER

They're all in the stickied Uncharted thread.

Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Sir_Crocidile
Member since 2004 • 389 Posts
It's so close! I can't wait to get this game!
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

The TeamXbox ME review is going live 9am EST on Monday November 19 aka tomorrow

Mass Effect is one of the most anticipated games of the year and that's why we have prepared some massive coverage for the launch of the game. Be sure to visit us next Monday at 9 A.M. EST.

From the creators of the critically-acclaimed "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" and "Jade Empire" comes an epic space saga exclusively for the Xbox 360 that spans the entire galaxy. Set 200 years in the future in an epic universe, "Mass Effect" places gamers in a vast galactic community in danger of being conquered by a legendary agent gone rogue. A spectacular new vision from legendary developers BioWare, "Mass Effect" challenges players to lead a squad of freedom fighters as they struggle against threatening armies to restore peace in the land.

Source

Bansheesdie

Did they use the words "Epic" and "Legendary" Enough?
ss_49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ss_49
Member since 2007 • 1337 Posts

i got this game a few days ago and it realy does own but after 12 and a half hours playing i was shocked to see the end credits! i wasnt running through iteither i was playing at an average pace, u could probly do a 4 hour speed run of this game which i find very disapointing! yea theres loads of side bits to do but the urge to play is basicly gone once u know the story. the mainstory should of lasted way longer since this is an rpg after all. all in all im not happy :/

if each game in the trilogy is this long they should of just released one title with the whole story

slikonebtz

Ugh, judging by your post-history...you sir, are a mega-cow.

Gamertag for proof?

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
It better get AAA or I'm gonna eat it >_>
Avatar image for trentonspliff80
trentonspliff80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 trentonspliff80
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts
Play gave it an 8.5 :(
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Newnab

Play gave it an 8.5 :(trentonspliff80

Link?

user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts

As in the play that gave Lair a 9.0?

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts

[QUOTE="trentonspliff80"]Play gave it an 8.5 :(user_nat

As in the play that gave Lair a 9.0?

Yeah... I'm just going to completely disregard that review.
Jenova_Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jenova_Flare
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts
For those interested (probably everyone here considering...), the GameTrailers review will be up in just over 2 1/2 hours.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

For those interested (probably everyone here considering...), the GameTrailers review will be up in just over 2 1/2 hours.Jenova_Flare

The countdown for IGN's review also ended, so their review should be up pretty soon. Given how massively awesome the game looks, and how excited IGN has been about it, I don't see it getting less than a 9.5 from them. I predict 9.6.

CerMakAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 CerMakAlot
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts

No wayyy. Thats insane if it's true.
Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts

For those interested (probably everyone here considering...), the GameTrailers review will be up in just over 2 1/2 hours.Jenova_Flare

Nice, I've always trusted Gametrailers reviews the most, followed closely by IGN. I predict a 9.3.

Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

i got this game a few days ago and it realy does own but after 12 and a half hours playing i was shocked to see the end credits! i wasnt running through iteither i was playing at an average pace, slikonebtz

Not rushing eh? The game takesway over 12 hours to complete; and thats not including the side quests. You sir, are lying.

xooco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 xooco
Member since 2007 • 521 Posts

Gametrailersreview is up. 9.6

20+ hours

kankthetank

Forum Posts