Official 360 hardware defect discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

keep it here.

Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts
Mine's fine.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I am on my second one.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

Hmm a red X. Abit different than you're usual animals casey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Another broken 360 sticky thread?

I suppose the damage control can't be far behind.

threegodhalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 threegodhalo
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
I have 2 360s and both are fine.

90% of the people saying it are haters.

No one at GS had theirs break and you cant spell ignoratent without IGN.

Most of it are very vocal anti-socials who are Anti-Microsoft.

Seriously, its impossible to have a 33% defect rate.

The PS2 had a 40-45%...but this is next gen.

Seriously, chill out and stop making it sound like a big deal.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Bansheesdie
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

My first 360 broke on its 13th hour, which might give me the first ever broken 360. I'm on my second and its working perfectly.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
I've had 4 in my home since 05 early 06, not one has had a problem. They all aren't mine, I got roommates that wanted their own too.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
Hasn't broken yet.Nice Red X.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 musicalmac
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
On number 3. But it's the games and capabilities I'm all about anyway. I have my computer to keep me busy when the 360 goes in the shop ;)
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
Mine is fine.
DisPimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DisPimpin
Member since 2006 • 2513 Posts

threegodhalo
Yes, and all of those reasons are what prompted MS to extend the warranty to 3 years costing them over $1,000,000,000, and admit that there is a design flaw in all XBOX 360s. It's just a few haters right? :roll:
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

A couple of the larger and more recent stories.

Kassa Discscratching
European Commisioner for Consumer Protection investigating discscratching
Discscratching cla*s action lawsuit
(copy paste, add s)
3 year warranty for 3RLOD
EB Games AU faulty HDD batch recall

And then there's like a 20 mile pile of anecdotal evidence and other stories.

Phanrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Phanrang
Member since 2005 • 1496 Posts
I am on the 4th
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 InsaneBasura

+

=

threegodhalo

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Newnab
Member since 2006 • 3081 Posts

While the level of 360 failures is regrettable and unfortunate, I don't think it's the be all and end all and I definitely don't think it's the end of the 360, or even a factor in deciding what console is best, as long as we continue to be covered, which so far, we are by the extended warranty.

The amount of good games and how well said good games run on our system (With regards to console specific features or online support) is much much more important in deciding what console to buy.

Would you want a really nice car that broke on you once or twice but with insurance so it didn't cost you anything to fix it, or would you rather have a comparatively rubbish car that wasn't so hot, didn't handle as well, wasn't that attractive and never broke down?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
1st one was dieing after about a year and a half. it worked. but only after i got it to work with the towel trick again. So i upgraded to an Elite. For the most part i keep much better care of this one. Its always kept on the top of my 360 box horizontal. its in a cool room, specifically because its infront of MY AC in my room. and it will still be a near a window after AC weather is over.

this 360 makes zero noise compared to my launch one, and i dont use the dvd feature at all. Ever. i used the DVD alot on my original. Ive heard that breaks your system quickly. SO overall my new one is beautiful.
Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Newnab

While the level of 360 failures is regrettable and unfortunate, I don't think it's the be all and end all and I definitely don't think it's the end of the 360, or even a factor in deciding what console is best, as long as we continue to be covered, which so far, we are by the extended warranty.

The amount of good games and how well said good games run on our system (With regards to console specific features or online support) is much much more important in deciding what console to buy.

Would you want a really nice car that broke on you once or twice but with insurance so it didn't cost you anything to fix it, or would you rather have a comparatively rubbish car that wasn't so hot, didn't handle as well, wasn't that attractive and never broke down?

Newnab

Thought I'd mention: I'm on my second 360. First one broke while playing Lost Planet demo, fixed for free, has worked perfectly ever since (Probably because I actually ventillated it properly this time)

KzerXtreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KzerXtreme
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts

My midnight launch 360 died a few months ago and now I'm on my second. It was upsetting when it happened, and the $140 fee didn't help. However they said they will now reimburse people, which would just about make things right. I have to give props to Sony and Nintendo's systems this gen being reliable.

The only other system that I had that was faulty was the Dreamcast(I went through 3 Dreamcasts lol). The later versions of the console had worse heat sinks then the launch one, especially my Sega Sports one. The cooling system would eventually fail and the system would get too hot and reset itself repeatedly. My brother was able to fix it by rigging a video card fan inside of it lol.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

threegodhalo
WOW Ignorance is Bliss.

You say it's impossible to have a 33% Defect rate but your next sentence says"The PS2 had a 40-45% Defect rate" Wich for one is a complete lie, the PS2 problem was nowhere near as bad, but it also shows how ignorant you are to say it's impossible and admit it's been done beofre.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts
Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 InsaneBasura

[QUOTE="threegodhalo"]I have 2 360s and both are fine.

peacebringer

WOW Ignorance is Bliss.

You say it's impossible to have a 33% Defect rate but your next sentence says"The PS2 had a 40-45% Defect rate" Wich for one is a complete lie, the PS2 problem was nowhere near as bad, but it also shows how ignorant you are to say it's impossible and admit it's been done beofre.

red agin. tis teh nexgen now!! moar nexgen meens thar carnt b ass manny falure reit. u dint go 2 skool n lern dis o wut lawl?

I'm thinking it might be a joke account.

threegodhalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 threegodhalo
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.D0013ER

I second that. 95% of the people saying it broke are cows or hermits. They are pissed that they pay 1k+ (3k for hermits) for subpar gaming.

There is no 33% defect rate. At MOST it's 5%.

Even the fanboys at IGNorant are cows, it's IMPOSSIBLE for ALL their 360s to break and GS has yet to break ONE.

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Newnab

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.threegodhalo

I second that. 95% of the people saying it broke are cows or hermits. They are pissed that they pay 1k+ (3k for hermits) for subpar gaming.

Even the fanboys at IGNorant are cows, it's IMPOSSIBLE for ALL their 360s to break and GS has yet to break ONE.

You misunderstood what he said. He said that the people who're the most up in arms about a warranty etc are the PS3 and Wii fans, consistantly saying "OH! OWNED! MICROSOFT SUCK!" whereas the majority of 360 gamers are like "Oh a few more free warranty years? Sweet. Back to gaming!"

To deny the 360 failure rate at this point, is silly. It's blown out of proportion by fanboys, but it IS a very definite problem.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 D0013ER

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.threegodhalo

Well I won't vouche for your claims...but at least here in System Wars I think there's plenty of people with an agenda when they complain about the problem, and curiously enough most of them have PSN cards in their sigs...

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 InsaneBasura

Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.D0013ER

This is System Wars. Do you expect lemmings to flock to these kind of threads and talk about how disappointed they are or what? They participated a lot more back when the anecdotal evidence first started growing. And do you really expect other fanboy groups to not use this huge bombshell as ammunition?

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 InsaneBasura

Gamespot has had 8 out of 26 360's break. Shane from EGM says their office has around a 75% failure rate. Matt from IGN says 90% of the people he know have had at least one 360 break down.

A sample of the aforementioned 20 mile pile.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.InsaneBasura

This is System Wars. Do you expect lemmings to flock to these kind of threads and talk about how disappointed they are or what? They participated a lot more back when the anecdotal evidence first started growing. And do you really expect other fanboy groups to not use this huge bombshell as ammunition?

Funny thing is Lemmings never ever think that some of the people who are complaining are ones who wanna purchase one but are put down by the Falure rate, i for one was very Close to a 360 purchase, but the recent news gots me waiting till the problem is fixed. I'm not a "Lemming" i'm a gamer and i want a 360 to play games, but i'm not following someone to my own Misery, Why buy a 360 when i know i'm gonna put my Fist thru it if it breaks Half way thru Blue Dragon.
D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 D0013ER

[QUOTE="D0013ER"]Ever since the news broke, I can't help but notice it's mostly people who clearly don't own a 360 nor claim to have any interest in owning one who are most up-in-arms about the whole deal.InsaneBasura

I'm sure they will, and they are. I'm no stranger to System Wars, after all. What I mean to say is fanboys from the other camps seem perturbed as to why 360'ers aren't rioting in the streets over this. It's a legitimate question, really. A hardware defect this definitive is a big problem. But as far as I've noticed, most 360 owners are taking it in stride. I know I am. I'm anything but happy with the notion that my system may one day crap all over itself and die, and I certainly won't be going for MS's next console installment until after a significant "wait and see" period, but I'm not going to toss my $400 investment in the garbage because it may go belly-up one day. And that seems to be exactly what many non-360 owners expect us to do.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

threegodhalo

Were you being serious because I can't tell with people sometimes?

But anyways, why pay over a billion dollars for a problem that is due to "90% are haters", "anti-socials who are anti-ms".

And where did you get 40-45% defect rate for PS2's? I find it hiliarious to state it's impossible to have a 33% defect rate then the very next thing out of your mouth is the PS2 had a 40-45% defect rate.

As I said, you were probably joking anyways.

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts

I was going to buy a X360 this week but many retailers are forced to send back all their 360 stock http://au.gamespot.com/news/6175127.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0 so i am just going to let everything get fixed before i purchase mine, i'll wait or maybe i should just get a Elite i heard those aren't defective at all.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
My son wants one for Christmas but I will not get him one untill they fix the problems...Out of the 5 people I know at my work that have one, two of them are having problems with theirs and one of them is on their second.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

On number 3. But it's the games and capabilities I'm all about anyway. I have my computer to keep me busy when the 360 goes in the shop ;)musicalmac

LOL...."well Jim, why do you have two consoles?"

"Well I really like my 360, it's my favorite,but it's in for repair half the time so I gotta have something to play while it's being fixed"

123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts
I'm very disapointed with Microsoft. But at least my 360 is still working.
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 123Dan123

My son wants one for Christmas but I will not get him one untill they fix the problems...Out of the 5 people I know at my work that have one, two of them are having problems with theirs and one of them is on their second.HarlockJC

I'm pretty sure that the Elite 360s don't have any design problems.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]My son wants one for Christmas but I will not get him one untill they fix the problems...Out of the 5 people I know at my work that have one, two of them are having problems with theirs and one of them is on their second.123Dan123

The 360 elite hardware is exactly the same as the premium and core. The only difference is the HDMI and 120gb hdd. So the elites do have the design problems.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Mine has been dropped, scratched, kicked..stood on(A baby) and its a year old this month. It works fine..
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 123Dan123
[QUOTE="123Dan123"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]My son wants one for Christmas but I will not get him one untill they fix the problems...Out of the 5 people I know at my work that have one, two of them are having problems with theirs and one of them is on their second.asdasd

The 360 elite hardware is exactly the same as the premium and core. The only difference is the HDMI and 120gb hdd. So the elites do have the design problems.

Oh, damn that sucks.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
[QUOTE="Newnab"]

Newnab

Thought I'd mention: I'm on my second 360. First one broke while playing Lost Planet demo, fixed for free, has worked perfectly ever since (Probably because I actually ventillated it properly this time)

Good post, but ventilation has nothing to do with it. I had my 360 open on a desk with nothing with in 2-3 feet of it, no heat sources and I just got the ring o death on the 10th.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
[QUOTE="123Dan123"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]My son wants one for Christmas but I will not get him one untill they fix the problems...Out of the 5 people I know at my work that have one, two of them are having problems with theirs and one of them is on their second.asdasd

The Elite actualy have some epoxy reinforcment on the mobo that the core and premium dont have.
kazrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 kazrium
Member since 2006 • 1632 Posts

I am on number two.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 360 has a high failure rate. I say this from personal experience, and after witnessing all of the topics that have been created on the subject. MS has even acknowledged it by extending the warranty for 3 years, something that is basically unheard of in the gaming industry.

What MS has to do now is come out and say, "There is a problem, we know what it is, and we have fixed it." If that means recalling 360 consoles that need upgraded HW,so be it. Extending a warranty helps, but it doesn't fix the problem.

BTW, I love my 360. It's one of the better consoles I have owned, and it basically got me back into console gaming. I just think this is a major obstacle standing in its way of future success, and it is repairable if MS acts quickly.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 InsaneBasura

Mine has been dropped, scratched, kicked..stood on(A baby) and its a year old this month. It works fine..Pro_wrestler

Perhaps the dropping, scratching, kicking and baby-standing is key? I didn't do any of that to my two brand new 360's when they broke. Or well, one of them did scratch a game, if that counts.

Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts
I've had mine since launch and it's working like a dream. I wonder if at any point in the future Microsoft will disclose the actual failure rate they were experiencing. It's more than 5%, but I don't believe the 30% rumors floating around. Also, I'm curious to know what the biggest hardware issue has been. Heatsink, fans, wiring?
Ric_SlayeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ric_SlayeR
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

My 360 came with alot of defects unfornately disc tray doesn´t open some times,hard drive not detectable,disc scratching problems :cry: And finally RED RING OF DEATH :cry:

After wasting my money with microsofts stupid console and hapened this I cant never trust microsoft anymore.

JUST WASTED MONEY WITH A 360.:evil:

I should have bought a PS3 a much better sistem:D NO THANKS TO THE STUPID MICROSOFT I ENDED UP WITH NOTHING:(

Dont commit the same error as i did dont buy a 360 stay with a PS3.

Ric_SlayeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ric_SlayeR
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

My 360 came with alot of defects unfornately disc tray doesn´t open some times,hard drive not detectable,disc scratching problems :cry: And finally RED RING OF DEATH :cry:

After wasting my money with microsofts stupid console and hapened this I cant never trust microsoft anymore.

I should have bought a PS3 a much better sistem:D NO THANKS TO THE STUPID MICROSOFT I ENDED UP WITH NOTHING:(

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
Mine is dead, not purchasing another PC-portbox.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 InsaneBasura

Ric_SlayeR

And this would be the rare case where I would be fine with people calling made up fanboy fake lies shenanigans. Or in this case, fakeboy rather. Also, what would Kratos look like if he was wearing glasses?

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 D0013ER

Mine is dead, not purchasing another PC-portbox.NobuoMusicMaker

Doubtful, but at least you got your two cents in and (hopefully) feel better about yourself now...