Odyssey will go down as the most overrated Mario game of all time.

• 106 results
lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

Never have I witness such a collective sigh on the internet after the hype died down. I don't know anyone who ranks this game even in the top 3 Marios. The levels are poor and lack the depth and replayability you've come to expect from a mainline Mario. I haven't even replayed most of the levels as I stopped caring about collecting the moons relatively fast. The only standout level in the game was New Donk City. On top of that, Cappy was not the game changing mechanic people were originally touting.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

ok

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

I'll give you credit. At least you make less crappy threads then ProtossRushX.

But anyhow, Overrated? I could see this being overrated to some. Personally I think it deserves the tens it's getting, but that's just me. Overhyped? Meh, kinda. It got more than the usual amount of hype. It's not possible for any game to live up to this amount of hype though, so when people go on nitpicking and saying the game is too bland or not, what they expected, this could've been a contributing factor. Going into the game relatively blind, I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of what it offered me as a gamer. Same goes for Breath of the Wild.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

It is not my favorite Mario game in the series, but in a series with so many great games to chose from that is hardly a knock against it. OP does not like the Switch and says that he is selling it, so of course he will bash Nintendo whenever he gets the chance. Nothing to see here.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

At a certain point we should really just disallow specific people from making threads.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Vaasman said:

At a certain point we should really just disallow specific people from making threads.

If we do that, then SW will be nothing but a ghost town. Well it's already is but still,,,,

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Vaasman said:

If we do that, then SW will be nothing but a ghost town. Well it's already is but still,,,,

Exactly. These are the people that make this forum, fun. I congrat you OP, even though your threads are inferior to mine.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I don't really get into cutesy platformers all that much. I liked the old Mario's, Sonic and Ori, Cuphead recently. I have SMO and I can definitely see the quality in the game but I am of the mindset that Nintendo gets a lot leniency when it comes to reviews. Many of these so called professionals grew up with Nintendo and Nostalgia is one hell of a drug, folks.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@needhealing said:

Exactly. These are the people that make this forum, fun. I congrat you OP, even though your threads are inferior to mine.

If I see a thread I find interesting, I click it. If the thread isn't for me, I go somewhere else. Different folks for different threads.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Not ranking it in the top 3 Mario games is hardly a knock on the quality. The series is consistently highly-rated.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

Oh yea, I bought that.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#12 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Can you tell me what the most over-rated Mario was before Odyssey?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lifelessablaze

@so_hai said:

paper mario

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@so_hai said:

That would be Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

It's really fucking good. Not a 10 though.

Overrated Mario game? Look no further than Mario 3D World. People liked that crap. I also find Galaxy 2 overrated. Galaxy was fun and new and interesting and had a nice little story. Galaxy 2 was just a soulless expansion to a good game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

it's good, but never did I expect it would ever meet the hype it was getting, that's the kind of overreaction you get from people who haven't touched a Nintendo anything since the Wii was hot shit, still a must have if you have a Switch

I put it up there with Mario Galaxy 2 in how over-hyped it is

still a good game nonetheless

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

Never have I witness such a collective sigh on the internet

lol fucking internet who gives a flying **** about the internet

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It’s good, but the galaxy series is much better.

So was Mario 3D Land for the Wii u

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Nah. I found it to be a fantastic game myself and feel the 10/10 is justified.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

@needhealing said:
@davillain- said:
@Vaasman said:

Your version of the thread would have been phrased as a question and had a poll with every answer except the right one.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UssjTrunks

@lamprey263 said:

it's good, but never did I expect it would ever meet the hype it was getting, that's the kind of overreaction you get from people who haven't touched a Nintendo anything since the Wii was hot shit, still a must have if you have a Switch

Overhyped means it flops after people actually play it. SMO is the third highest rated game of all time on Game Rankings and tied for third on Metacritic. Almost every review outlet gave it a 10/10 after playing and completing the game. A game that meets all expectations cannot be overhyped.

randomHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 randomHALT
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

Overrated by 1 point. 9/10 for sure.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@lamprey263 said:

Overhyped means it flops after people actually play it. SMO is the third highest rated game of all time on Game Rankings and tied for third on Metacritic. Almost every review outlet gave it a 10/10 after playing and completing the game, so it cannot possibly be overhyped since it met all expectations.

oh, I'm sorry, are you the single authority re-writing the dictionary?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

It's not that bad it's at least 7, it was a very standard Mario game that didn't push itself too far out the box. I know it was atleast worth collecting 300 moons. I'd give it a 10 but it loses points for lack of challenge typical of a Mario game and extremely week bosses.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@davillain-: That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say Mario 64 is over-rated.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

No replayability, and you haven't gone back to the earlier levels?

No wonder you don't like it - it sounds like you haven't played much of the game yet.

Most of the challenging content happens once you have beaten the story mode, and the new moons appear in every level.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UssjTrunks

@lamprey263 said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@lamprey263 said:

Overhyped means it flops after people actually play it. SMO is the third highest rated game of all time on Game Rankings and tied for third on Metacritic. Almost every review outlet gave it a 10/10 after playing and completing the game, so it cannot possibly be overhyped since it met all expectations.

oh, I'm sorry, are you the single authority re-writing the dictionary?

I didn't rewrite the definition. I merely stated it. Would help to learn English if you're going to make comments like that.

I'm feeling generous, so I'll help you out (not sure if you can find it yourself):

to advertise or praise something more than it deserves in newspapers, on television, online, etc., in order to make people excited about it and want to buy, try it, invest in it, etc.:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/overhype

Mario deserved the 10/10 it got from the majority of reviewers because that score was arrived to after the reviewers played and completed the game. An overhyped game would fall short with reviewers.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

I don't really get into cutesy platformers all that much. I liked the old Mario's, Sonic and Ori, Cuphead recently. I have SMO and I can definitely see the quality in the game but I am of the mindset that Nintendo gets a lot leniency when it comes to reviews. Many of these so called professionals grew up with Nintendo and Nostalgia is one hell of a drug, folks.

Yet only Nintendo games get such treatment. Sonic doesn't and many other game series that used to be critically acclaimed are just irrelevant this day. Maybe, just maybe people genuinely love Mario games and think they are awesome and it has nothing to do with nostalgia? Just a thought.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i like it better than the galaxy games.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

Yet only Nintendo games get such treatment. Sonic doesn't and many other game series that used to be critically acclaimed are just irrelevant this day. Maybe, just maybe people genuinely love Mario games and think they are awesome and it has nothing to do with nostalgia? Just a thought.

You win the Internet. Nintendo gets judged very harshly for things other companies get a pass for. Mario is something that core gamers and casual gamers like. Of course people hype it up because it's an iconic IP.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Nah.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

So...have you actually played the game or only watched youtube videos?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Juub1990

@luxuryheart: Then why doesn’t Sonic get the same treatment?

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I'm near 50 hours on my first play through, I've never been able to put that much time into a Mario game on the first run before. It has plenty of content. Try going for 800+ moons and the greatness of the game shines.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

What part of my post said the reviewers did not genuinely love Nintendo games? Just because I get nostalgic when I watch High Plains Drifter doesn't mean I don't love the film or Unforgiven which was made 20 years later. But I understand that westerns start with a "point positive" if you will, when I watch them because I love this genre due to my childhood. And I won't lie about this existing within me. I will not pretend to be perfect; to be able to subtract me from anything I review.

Have nothing to do with nostalgia? Possible, but I don't buy it. Objectivity is impossible from human beings has long been my point here. Our loves and hates will always rear their view into anything under review. And those loves and hates are built up and solidified n us from our past experiences. Thats why this entertainment, like all entertainment is truly subjective to the individual.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lifelessablaze

@MonsieurX:

i beat the dang game. What is with this witch hunt?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cainetao11

@luxuryheart said:
@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

You win the Internet. Nintendo gets judged very harshly for things other companies get a pass for. Mario is something that core gamers and casual gamers like. Of course people hype it up because it's an iconic IP.

Oh..........OH MY GOD!!!!! *fights back tears* I would like to thank the academy, the SW community and all those that post babybackballbagbullshit on SW!! THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, probably. Still a great game.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Honestly, I agreed with you.

Before I got to the post-game of Odyssey I was fairly underwhelmed. The aesthetic of the game was as beautiful as always with Nintendo games, but I really felt disappointed because it wasn't the 64/Sunshine structure that I had been so excited for.

After beating the game my opinion completely flipped though. I really started digging into the worlds and collecting dozens of moons, and it just became almost mind-blowing to me how, despite there being so many of them in each level, all of the moons were very well-placed, and had a little bit of charm. The levels were literally packed to the brim with this content, and I've gotten more time, and love from them than I think I have in any Mario game past.

Sunshine will likely always be my favorite in the franchise just because nostalgia is a powerful influence, but Odyssey has had a profound impact on me, and I truly do think that it's a complete masterpiece.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cainetao11

@lifelessablaze said:

@MonsieurX:

i beat the dang game. What is with this witch hunt?

I did not beat the game. I probably will never beat SMO. The only 3d one I ever beat was SMG. Don't you get it? We're not allowed to dissent from the accepted opinion of Mario. Human psychology doesn't even apply when it comes to Nintendo.

You'll hear shit like why doesn't Sonic get that treatment if nostalgia plays a part. Nevermind that nobody said the game is bad. Just that it gets a bit of a jump start from inability of human beings to detach from their loves. Obviously Nintendo has way more fans than Sega kids that grew up tp watch them turn to crap. Saying nostalgia played a part in NO WAY says the game isn't good. But people can only see the extremes of points, it seems. I'm no exception

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

SMG2 already beat Odyssey on that eight years ago, dude.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990
@cainetao11 said:

What part of my post said the reviewers did not genuinely love Nintendo games? Just because I get nostalgic when I watch High Plains Drifter doesn't mean I don't love the film or Unforgiven which was made 20 years later. But I understand that westerns start with a "point positive" if you will, when I watch them because I love this genre due to my childhood. And I won't lie about this existing within me. I will not pretend to be perfect; to be able to subtract me from anything I review.

Have nothing to do with nostalgia? Possible, but I don't buy it. Objectivity is impossible from human beings has long been my point here. Our loves and hates will always rear their view into anything under review. And those loves and hates are built up and solidified n us from our past experiences. Thats why this entertainment, like all entertainment is truly subjective to the individual.

For a guy who preaches opinions and tastes all over the place, you sure have a hard time understanding why someone would like a game based on the quality of the game rather than nostalgia. Simply because you don't appreciate the game as much as they do you don't buy that they can appreciate the game so much without nostalgia being a factor? OK there buddy.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

It's not as good as the Galaxy games but it's still great. Being 3rd best in the franchise isn't so bad.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

For a guy who preaches opinions and tastes all over the place, you sure have a hard time understanding why someone would like a game based on the quality of the game rather than nostalgia. Simply because you don't appreciate the game as much as they do you don't buy that they can appreciate the game so much without nostalgia being a factor? OK there buddy.

I think you are selectively reading. At no point have I said it isn't a good game or that nostalgia playing a part means there is no value to an opinion. Like I said to TC, people only see the extremes. You are proving it.

Read that again: nostalgia PLAYING A PART. I never said it is all nostalgia.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Juub1990
@cainetao11 said:

I think you are selectively reading. At no point have I said it isn't a good game or that nostalgia playing a part means there is no value to an opinion. Like I said to TC, people only see the extremes. You are proving it.

And when did I say you said it wasn't a good game? I may be selectively reading, but you're reading things that literally aren't there. I also never said you implied nostalgia somehow invalidated an opinion. How did you even draw these conclusions?

I said for someone who constantly preaches the subjectivity of opinions, you have a hard time accepting and understanding people appreciating a game solely because of the qualities of that game and not because of some intrinsic feelings it triggers in them. Simply put, the reason people rate Odyssey so highly may simply be because they think the game is of top quality, nostalgia notwithstanding. It doesn't make their opinions any less subjective.

Nintendo games are also not the only iconic games that have been around for ages and still kicking. Sonic has been around for a minute and he doesn't get nostalgia points. Why is that? That's an argument you've been avoiding to answer for a while I noticed.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Yeah I agree. That is if we aren't kidding ourselves and saying Sunshine isn't the worst 3D Mario, because it probably always will be. No amount of nostalgia can deny that game was not nearly as polished as it needed to be. Atleast they tried to shake things up a bit, I give them credit for that.

Odyssey was a solid play, and I will go back and attempt to get all the moons later this year. I took my time, I tried to explore every part of each level I could before moving onto the next. I liked most of the worlds a lot. Overall it was pretty easy and didn't wow me as much as Galaxy or 64.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

And when did I say you said it wasn't a good game? I may be selectively reading, but you're reading things that literally aren't there. I also never said you implied nostalgia somehow invalidated an opinion. How did you even draw these conclusions?

I said for someone who constantly preaches the subjectivity of opinions, you have a hard time accepting and understanding people appreciating a game solely because of the qualities of that game and not because of some intrinsic feelings it triggers in them. Simply put, the reason people rate Odyssey so highly may simply be because they think the game is of top quality, nostalgia notwithstanding. It doesn't make their opinions any less subjective.

Nintendo games are also not the only iconic games that have been around for ages and still kicking. Sonic has been around for a minute and he doesn't get nostalgia points. Why is that? That's an argument you've been avoiding to answer for a while I noticed.

What other conclusion is there to come to if you keep telling me I can't see others like the game without nostalgia? As you said, "soley because of the qualities of that game".

I already made my case that I don't buy that completely. Human beings past loves and hates play a part in how they see things, psychologically. I don't believe they can detach from that. What else is there to argue? You can't prove me wrong and I can't prove you wrong. Its two people with differing opinions on human beings. This isn't even about SMO at this point. What more is there to say?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990

@cainetao11: More like you can’t prove nostalgia had anything to do with the scores because you’re too narrow-minded to think people could like the game simply because they think it’s very good.

As I said, that’s in complete contradiction to your philosophy but don’t let the facts fool you.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By cainetao11

@Juub1990 said:

@cainetao11: More like you can’t prove nostalgia had anything to do with the scores because you’re too narrow-minded to think people could like the game simply because they think it’s very good.

As I said, that’s in complete contradiction to your philosophy but don’t let the facts fool you.

But you can't prove nostalgia did not. For some reason it seems you are butt hurt here .

Its the "God" argument and in no way a contradiction in my philosophy. You're seeming to be too low intelligence to get that and that normally isn't you from our past dialogues.

Nostalgia playing a part doesn't mean everyone isn't entitled to their opinion as I always champion. All I'm saying is the past is a part of how we formulate opinions. Thats as third grade as I can explain it to you.