ODST... how did this score higher then 8.5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SquatsAreAwesom
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SquatsAreAwesom
Member since 2009 • 1678 Posts

I'm currently on the 4th mission. So far, I really do enjoy the game. However, I cannot for the life of my understand how it could score higher then an 8.5.

ODST does one thing well, it has a pretty good story. It gives you a great background in the lives of the every day soldier in the Halo universe. The slightly more gritty and mature feel to the story really has a nice appeal to it, compared to Halo's main storyline, which to me has always felt a bit uninspired.

However... that aside, it really is Halo 3: ODST. It feels, by all means, an expansion pack that full price.

Gameplay wise, what is new? Nothing, aside from having your life being less dispensable, not having dual wielding, and enemies being noticably tougher to take down. Now, one might argue that the gun fights in the city are new and add a twist. However, I would argue that aspect of the gameplay feels very tacked on. As a story elements it's great, however as a gameplay element it is not.

It really feels like the sub-team at Bungie were really only going to release these mini-stories as addons, but then desided... hey, lets tie them all together, and sell it at full price.

I think what shocks me the most is, that those who are huge fans in the series are so complacent with it. At $40, I would have conceded this point -- at a full $60, and a score of 9.0 at Gamespot, I can only raise my eyebrows. I almost feel like they are mocking customers for calling Halo 3, Halo 2.5 by releasing this Halo 2.5.1 content patch.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.
Nedemis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Nedemis
Member since 2002 • 10715 Posts
I love how many people bashing this game on it's price would probably also admit that they have GT5P (not directed towards the TC, but could still hold true). I bought ODST on launch and I still find it to be far more worth my money compared to MANY other "full" titles. $60 for ODST is a steal when you consider just how much content is included. $40 for GT5P is a complete rip off when you look at how few cars and tracks are included in this so called demo. :|
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SquatsAreAwesom

How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.nmaharg

I love how many people bashing this game on it's price would probably also admit that they have GT5P (not directed towards the TC, but could still hold true). I bought ODST on launch and I still find it to be far more worth my money compared to MANY other "full" titles. $60 for ODST is a steal when you consider just how much content is included. $40 for GT5P is a complete rip off when you look at how few cars and tracks are included in this so called demo. :|Nedemis

The price is only one aspect of the problem with ODST, and it's related score on GS. One that is definitely one that is important to consider when rating a game, given that it is essentially a recommendation that is being made by a critic.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
Read the review and find out for yourself. :)
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

My nephew bought a copy, once I get my 360 from the shop I'll make sure to try it out and make up my own opinion on it. :)

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.SquatsAreAwesom
That doesn't address my post at all.

You feel the game does nothing new and you imply it's overpriced. It address the main points of your post just fine.
Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

I'm currently on the 4th mission. So far, I really do enjoy the game. However, I cannot for the life of my understand how it could score higher then an 8.5.

ODST does one thing well, it has a pretty good story. It gives you a great background in the lives of the every day soldier in the Halo universe. The slightly more gritty and mature feel to the story really has a nice appeal to it, compared to Halo's main storyline, which to me has always felt a bit uninspired.

However... that aside, it really is Halo 3: ODST. It feels, by all means, an expansion pack that full price.

Gameplay wise, what is new? Nothing, aside from having your life being less dispensable, not having dual wielding, and enemies being noticably tougher to take down. Now, one might argue that the gun fights in the city are new and add a twist. However, I would argue that aspect of the gameplay feels very tacked on. As a story elements it's great, however as a gameplay element it is not.

It really feels like the sub-team at Bungie were really only going to release these mini-stories as addons, but then desided... hey, lets tie them all together, and sell it at full price.

I think what shocks me the most is, that those who are huge fans in the series are so complacent with it. At $40, I would have conceded this point -- at a full $60, and a score of 9.0 at Gamespot, I can only raise my eyebrows. I almost feel like they are mocking customers for calling Halo 3, Halo 2.5 by releasing this Halo 2.5.1 content patch.

SquatsAreAwesom

You haven't played firefight yet, have you? Why are you judging it score wise without trying out all its content?:?

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

SquatsAreAwesom

i agree. Lol none of my friends bought it. Whichi s wierd cz they all love halo.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts
Read the review and find out for yourself. :)Stevo_the_gamer
This^ and the fact its a great game, i had more fun playing ODST than Halo2 and 3.
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nmaharg

[QUOTE="nmaharg"]How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.SquatsAreAwesom

I love how many people bashing this game on it's price would probably also admit that they have GT5P (not directed towards the TC, but could still hold true). I bought ODST on launch and I still find it to be far more worth my money compared to MANY other "full" titles. $60 for ODST is a steal when you consider just how much content is included. $40 for GT5P is a complete rip off when you look at how few cars and tracks are included in this so called demo. :|Nedemis

The price is only one aspect of the problem with ODST, and it's related score on GS. One that is definitely one that is important to consider when rating a game, given that it is essentially a recommendation that is being made by a critic.

Then I guess GS thinks, like alot do, that ODST is worth the $60. The situation is relative. Personally I don't think any game is worth $60, thats why I use gamefly.
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SquatsAreAwesom
[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"][QUOTE="nmaharg"]How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.nmaharg
That doesn't address my post at all.

You feel the game does nothing new and you imply it's overpriced. It address the main points of your post just fine.

You didn't even say anything of substance... quality isn't effected by price. Grats. How does that directly address anything I said in my post? You might as well have said, "I have a bird on my head, you're wrong".
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I agree. From my experience with it so far, I'd give it a 7.5 on the GS scale.
playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

Your comparison would make sense if GT5P was an expansion to a year old game that still cost 60$ but that is not the case so your comparison fails.

On topic:

To answer your question, what would happen if they DID score it 8.5 or less? Well let's just say some games seem to be required to be scored a certian way by reviews at GS.

:wink: *looks at what happend to Jeff Gastsman*

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SquatsAreAwesom

[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"]

Cicatraz_ESP

You haven't played firefight yet, have you? Why are you judging it score wise without trying out all its content?:?

LOL.... hold your horses mister. Actually, I have played firefight. Are you trying to convince me that the firefight mode is actually substantial enough for the score to be significantly better?
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nmaharg
[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"][QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"] That doesn't address my post at all.

You didn't even say anything of substance... quality isn't effected by price. Grats. How does that directly address anything I said in my post? You might as well have said, "I have a bird on my head, you're wrong".

"I think what shocks me the most is, that those who are huge fans in the series are so complacent with it. At $40, I would have conceded this point --..." It seemed you needed a lesson in this simple concept. Whether it was $40, $60, or $100 why shouldn't fans of the game enjoy it?
Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"] That doesn't address my post at all.SquatsAreAwesom

the person meant that you are implying that odst isnt worth the 60$ or of that score (9.0). However, he believes that even for its price of 60$ its worth it.

My opinion: Nope, i dont believe odst is worht it. Theres hardly any changes. I mean come on (same MP maps), thats really sad. and im sure adding 1 new mode wasnt hard espeically since they used the same engine.

The only thing that comes with the 60$ is the short campaign. Which i personally think isnt worth it. but then again, enough people do.

i think its just based on opinion and because tis HALO, everyone who has a 360 will like it.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SquatsAreAwesom

[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"][QUOTE="nmaharg"] You feel the game does nothing new and you imply it's overpriced. It address the main points of your post just fine.Ribnarak

the person meant that you are implying that odst isnt worth the 60$ or of that score (9.0). However, he believes that even for its price of 60$ its worth it.

My opinion: Nope, i dont believe odst is worht it. Theres hardly any changes. I mean come on (same MP maps), thats really sad. and im sure adding 1 new mode wasnt hard espeically since they used the same engine.

The only thing that comes with the 60$ is the short campaign. Which i personally think isnt worth it. but then again, enough people do.

i think its just based on opinion and because tis HALO, everyone who has a 360 will like it.

Ah... well if that is the case. Thumbs up for him, I'm glad he paid for something he enjoys.

I do generally agree with your opinion.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nmaharg

[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"] You didn't even say anything of substance... quality isn't effected by price. Grats. How does that directly address anything I said in my post? You might as well have said, "I have a bird on my head, you're wrong".SquatsAreAwesom

"I think what shocks me the most is, that those who are huge fans in the series are so complacent with it. At $40, I would have conceded this point --..." It seemed you needed a lesson in this simple concept. Whether it was $40, $60, or $100 why shouldn't fans of the game enjoy it?

I don't even know where to begin with you. Quite simply, you did not comprehend my post. I never stated, or implied that price effects quality. The only person who needs a lesson is yourself in simple reading comprehension, and a bit of logic. One of the two is failing hardcore right now.

Fans can do whatever they want. However, the fanfare should not effect a review and it's score.

I could understand if GS's score was bloated, but ODST has a mid 80s meta critic. How did you come to the conclusion that fanfare effected the score?
SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SquatsAreAwesom
[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"]

[QUOTE="nmaharg"] "I think what shocks me the most is, that those who are huge fans in the series are so complacent with it. At $40, I would have conceded this point --..." It seemed you needed a lesson in this simple concept. Whether it was $40, $60, or $100 why shouldn't fans of the game enjoy it?nmaharg

I don't even know where to begin with you. Quite simply, you did not comprehend my post. I never stated, or implied that price effects quality. The only person who needs a lesson is yourself in simple reading comprehension, and a bit of logic. One of the two is failing hardcore right now.

Fans can do whatever they want. However, the fanfare should not effect a review and it's score.

I could understand if GS's score was bloated, but ODST has a mid 80s meta critic. How did you come to the conclusion that fanfare effected the score?

That is entirely the point of the thread, from beginning to end; Gamespot's score is bloated. I believe the only explanation for it is bias on the part of the reviewer in this particular case. I see no other reason for a game like ODST to be ranked aside with the other 9s
fuchuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fuchuzz
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

really, the only thing that angers me about it is that if i pay 60$ for a game, i would like matchmaking, its a serious turn off. A longer campaignwould be nice too but it was pretty good.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nmaharg

[QUOTE="nmaharg"][QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"] I don't even know where to begin with you. Quite simply, you did not comprehend my post. I never stated, or implied that price effects quality. The only person who needs a lesson is yourself in simple reading comprehension, and a bit of logic. One of the two is failing hardcore right now.

SquatsAreAwesom

That is entirely the point of the thread, from beginning to end; Gamespot's score is bloated. I believe the only explanation for it is bias on the part of the reviewer in this particular case. I see no other reason for a game like ODST to be ranked aside with the other 9s

Honestly its hard to call the score bloated, when pretty much every major gaming site gave it similar scores. Maybe you have the bias.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SquatsAreAwesom

[QUOTE="SquatsAreAwesom"][QUOTE="nmaharg"] I could understand if GS's score was bloated, but ODST has a mid 80s meta critic. How did you come to the conclusion that fanfare effected the score?nmaharg

Honestly its hard to call the score bloated, when pretty much every major gaming site gave it similar scores. Maybe you have the bias.

Maybe I do have the bias. I have in fact stated many times that the Halo series never feels new, and doesn't ever feel to deliver more. I think the series slowed down it's momentum of quality after Halo 2, after the release of Halo 3. ODST seems to only further validate my claim. I'm not sure if this is bias, as my opinion is based on result rather than having a pre-dispositioned hate or love for the game. I'm simply not convinced by the reviews, and as such bias is the only answer that is left. I'm willing to 'understand' the 9.0 -- I'm simply like to hear "why", as the review given by Gamespot does not exemplify an answer.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Its rather simple. You start with 8.5 and then add .5 to that. You end up with 9.0. Simply put, the reviewer thought it was deserving.

SquatsAreAwesom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SquatsAreAwesom

Its rather simple. You start with 8.5 and then add .5 to that. You end up with 9.0. Simply put, the reviewer thought it was deserving.

ActicEdge
Mind = blown
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

It still has more content then heaps of full titles out there. Plus your value will be quite different dependant on your stastus:

If you:

Dont own original Halo 3: Great Value (comes with ODST and halo 3 multiplayer experience)

Own Halo 3 but no DLC: Good Value (All the DLC plus new maps)

Have halo 3 DLCs Normal value ( just 3 new maps and campaign)

But the game is still awesome and better priced then alot of 'full games' regardless of your current status

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
1. Your not even finished with the game 2. Game reviews are always subjective
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Because you don't want to accept it.
Munasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Munasha
Member since 2004 • 459 Posts
because if you look close the cover says Halo on it which adds another .5 to the rating so what ever halo reach gets subtract .5 and thats the real score : )
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

SquatsAreAwesom

Why don't you just read the review?

I'm pretty sure you'll find a better answer there than in SW.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Becuase Gamespot, much like BSO, liked it more than you did. It's called an opinion. I know, frickin' crazy.

Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts
I couldn't agree more with this thread. I'm a huge Halo fan, but I'm also a very aware and intelligent gamer and consumer and I had been following the game since it was announced. Although it might be Microsoft's fault for the price increase and not Bungie's, but Bungie is now independant so who knows.
whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

because the reviewer deemed it worthy of AAA?

lol, ahhh poor cows still sore over this one? Don't worry guys U2 is only days away.

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Its a mercy score, GS wanted the 360 to have at least one game this year that was highly rated. Im sure MS payed GS to give it a 9.0
Trinexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Trinexxx
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts
Its a mercy score, GS wanted the 360 to have at least one game this year that was highly rated. Im sure MS payed GS to give it a 9.0djsifer01
They definitely gave them plenty of free merch, as they always do. They also had huge ad's on this website prior to the launch, and we all know what that entails...
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#38 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
My cousin bought it, and wasn't happy with it.
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts

How much something costs doesn't affect it's quality. Whether I get a 09 Benz for $50 or $50,000 its still a damn good card. Same goes for ODST. Many many great games aren't worth $60, and do nothing new. They are still great though.nmaharg
Gamespot has knock plenty of games for this same reason. ODTS just got a pass, ill get it when they drop the price.

cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#40 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

The fact that I paid the same price for this game as I did for Halo 3 two years ago is a travesty.

This game does not offer even close to the amount of new content that Halo 3 did. Halo 3 introduced Theater. Halo 3 introduced 4-player co-op. Halo 3 introduced 90% of the maps included on this game's second disk. Halo 3 introduced all the weapons and enemies in ODST.

ODST is just cashing in on all of the successes that Halo 3 brought to the table and THAT is worth SIXTY DOLLARS?

Firefight? That can only hold my interest for so long...it's just not a long-lived multiplayer component like the main competitive Halo 3 multiplayer is...it has no matchmaking...it has no competition...it's practically just a leaderboard for killing enemies with a couple of friends for 2 hours, and it's fun while it lasts, but how many times can you do this with your friends before all of you get bored of it? It just doesn't have the longevity it needs to excuse the lack of new content.

navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
because it was Awesome? and I mean you enjoy it ... maybe the reviewer enjoyed it more?
N0d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 N0d0
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUyF_2SZtM

Cold, hard truth.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Read the review and find out for yourself. :)Duckyindiana
This^ and the fact its a great game, i had more fun playing ODST than Halo2 and 3.

i did, too. my favorite halo installment, by far.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#44 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I liked it. I found the music, atmosphere and sense of isolation to be superb. One of my favourite Halo campaigns ever.

I do agree that it was overpriced though.

Still AAA to me.