Oculus Rift + PC = 'next generation consloles' are a joke

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Imagine it's 1930.

You're friend just bought a new invention, the TV.

You chastise him and call him a 'nerd' or 'hermit' because nothing can be better than radio, can it?

Of course not. Radio is the best. Just like pre-smart-phones.

Enter the oculus rift, what tech writers are calling the first 'big invention' in entertainment since television.

Is it on console? Nope. Will it ever be? Perhaps.

But for now, only PC gamers can watch 'TV' in the coming years. Console (radio) gamers are left in the dust yet again.

Do I care? Yes, yes I do. Why? Because I love my fellow man, and my brothers, I implore you ... drop your aging radios and buy into the new hotness, lest you become a mere dust cloud in the cycle of technology. [which frankly, you already are]

I'm sure smart phones won't catch on either though, so you may have something sticking to this archaic format and tech release cycle.

Impressions from CES:

From PopSci Article titled "CES 2013: Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset Is Freaking Amazing": "It's impossible to really get across how world-shifting the Rift is; it's exactly like we'd dreamed virtual reality would be. You put on these goggles and you slip into a completely new world, in which your body movements respond pretty much the way they would in the real world. It's comfortable, too, and not particularly heavy, which I was worried about. Feels mostly like ski goggles."

From PopSci "The Rift is certainly one of the most amazing things I've seen at CES this year--hell, in any year. It's not really possible to describe what it's like to use it, but as soon as I put the goggles on and turned my head, I think my mouth dropped. It's flat-out awesome."

From PCWorld "Oculus Rift VR headset prototype works so well its a little scary"

From PCMag "After the 3D effect of the Oculus Rift, the head tracking provided the most sense of immersion. I didn't just see objects with depth, I saw them as if I was looking at them with my own eyes. The Oculus Rift tracked every movement of my head as I looked around, tilting and shifting the picture appropriately. I found myself watching a snowflake fall from the sky and moving my head to follow it. I looked from high above my head down to the ground as the snowflake fell. I couldn't see my feet or any other part of my body, but, again, this is a software issue. The effect was still incredible."

From TechRadar "The experience is extremely fluid and natural, to an amazing degree. And in less than a minute, one comes to the realization that this is the bold face of the future of gaming that so many have longed for."

From IGN "This virtual world became more palpable, more real, more believable and instantly became more of a character than just about any other game world I had ever played through. And perhaps thats the best way to phrase it. In the past, I simply played through worlds. I moved through them. This one made me feel like I was physically in that space. Living in it. Unable to look away, because it was all around me. Its immersion on an entirely different level."

From CNET "guess what it comes down to is this: the Oculus Rift is the virtual reality we've been promised since the dawn of video gaming, and really, the early days of science fiction. It leaps past all other attempts at the technology and moves into the realm of total immersion. The feeling is so natural that it's effortless to suspend disbelief that you are standing in that place, in that world. And that's with the prototype's crappy LCD screen and early pre-pre-preproduction software and drivers.
When this thing finally ships, with a better screen (can a boy dream for OLED?), and a bunch of software available, it could be a radical shift in gaming and who knows what else."
Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck to think about the possibilities."

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

it's gonna demand some power since 3D is need

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

superduper.gif

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I'm not really sold on the oculus rift yet.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 haberman13

We have a taker!

LUNDY - PRO Radio

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

too bad it has some hefty system requirements plus you'll probably need to get a new display that outputs higher than 1080p if you don't have one other than that enthusiast will love it

NoodleFighter

??? Do you even know what the Oculus Rift is?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lundy86_4

We have a taker!

LUNDY - PRO Radio

haberman13

exactlyz.gif

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

How you know Oculus Rift will not work on consoles as well?

But yea I can see what you mean... Oculus Rift for me is something I've been waiting like crazy for many years, if implemented correctly it will change the way people used to game until now. Motion controllers were simply gimicks but man Virtual Reality... it's a whole new experience we've seen only in sci-fi movies. All the previus attempts to bring Virtual Reality to games during '80s and '90s failed miserably due to poor hardware. In '00s nobody even bothered... now after 30 years we see a big effort being made once again. Man when I see people like John Carmack being involved with the project I can only be so excited, for me he was one of the best pioneers in a video game history and he is pretty positive about it as well. Hope it will do good.

PS: By the way very good thread my friend, haven't seen one for a while.

Just check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpV7qq1vyd4

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

We have a taker!

LUNDY - PRO Radio

lundy86_4

exactlyz.gif

Turner Classic Movies is doing an 'old radio star' marathon coming up, you should tune in.

Maybe play some Halo 4 or Gears simultaneously for a blow out!

In summation: console-only gaming is officially lol-worthy in 2013.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

lol

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I'm really rooting for Oculus :D. I hope Amnesia: A Machine For Pig will release for it, that would be wicked.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

What the f*ck is it.

A new monitor?

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Its all about the games, best games this gen were console exclusives

I don't see that changing any time soon, just look at the PC exclusives this year its all shovelware

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

We have a taker!

LUNDY - PRO Radio

haberman13

exactlyz.gif

Turner Classic Movies is doing an 'old radio star' marathon coming up, you should tune in.

Maybe play some Halo 4 or Gears simultaneously for a blow out!

In summation: console-only gaming is officially lol-worthy in 2013.

beardofzeus.gif

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Oh.

VR goggles.

Bleh

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

I don't see that changing any time soon, just look at the PC exclusives this year its all shovelware

Zurrur

awesometothemax.gif

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 haberman13

Oh.

VR goggles.

Bleh

ZombieKiller7

Don't be a chump!

Watch some youtube impressions. (or read the edited OP for summaries)

EVERYBODY that TRIED it is going gonzo for oculus. This IS the next generation, in a true sense.

'next-gen' consoles will be current PCs, with a heap of trashy auto-aim TPS on top.

'next-gen' is oculus rift + PC

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Virtual Boy 2.0...and here we go.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I've been saying that VR-goggles and improved motion-controllers are the way forward for gaming for a while now.

The problem is simply that there is not games (and apps) that make good use of it yet and that the tech is still not quite there yet.

In a few years time, I think we will see fully VR enviroments in games.

It's the logical next step in gaming evolution.

Also, consoles did and will do their share at it so you can't just discredit them.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haberman13

Virtual Boy 2.0...and here we go. senses_fail_06

U-U-ultra fail opinion based on nonsense!

Has technology evolved in 20 years? No? Well then scoff away.

IF however, technology has changed in 20 years, prepare to cry for joy.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Virtual Boy 2.0...and here we go. haberman13

Who cares ...let him spout his nonsense and while we are using it and being blown away he can keep his Meh fanboy attitude going,it's him that loses not us :P

I love how the console gamers try to brush it off like it's nothing and try telling us we have no games for it just because it is for PC like true fanboys do...can you imagine how crazy they would be going about it if they were the ones getting it.

Oh and TC ...why sound like an elitist prick and make us look bad when you could have just posted about how awesome the rift is without mentioning consoles in the tile. :/

It will be popular and the success will cause them to make a console version and we will all win.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's a gimmick and won't be the next big thing, for a while yet anyway. Give me a normal good TV and I'm more than happy, I don't need VR goggles

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It's a gimmick and won't be the next big thing, for a while yet anyway. Give me a normal good TV and I'm more than happy, I don't need VR goggles

seanmcloughlin

VR goggles + motion controlls (maybe a combination of classic + motion for a start) + force-feedback chair/controller = insane immersion...

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
PC was and IS already the next big thing, Thing is more and more people realized this, Like console gamers, You see more PC gamers than all the ps3 gamers combined.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="senses_fail_06"]Virtual Boy 2.0...and here we go. naz99

Who cares ...let him spout his nonsense and while we are using it and being blown away he can keep his Meh fanboy attitude going,it's him that loses not us :P

I love how the console gamers try to brush it off like it's nothing and try telling us we have no games for it just because it is for PC like true fanboys do...can you imagine how crazy they would be going about it if they were the ones getting it.

Oh and TC ...why sound like an elitist prick and make us look bad when you could have just posted about how awesome the rift is without mentioning consoles in the tile. :/

It will be popular and the success will cause them to make a console version and we will all win.

But I am an elitist prick On this site at least :)

But point taken, this can be said without denegrating the senior citizens amongst us.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 haberman13

seanmcloughlin

For most games, I would agree.

Enter Skyrim and it's ilk: as a number of pre-reviewers said, this is 'digital crack'.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

seanmcloughlin

This...

Also, have I ever mentioned how I hate the idea of wearing some creepy looking contraption on my head while gaming?

Give me a good monitor, I'm all set...

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

lundy86_4

awesometothemax.gif

My only regret is that I have ... boneitis.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

too bad it has some hefty system requirements plus you'll probably need to get a new display that outputs higher than 1080p if you don't have one other than that enthusiast will love it

NoodleFighter

What are you talking about? The display is in the goggles. And most high end PC rigs can run games at 60FPS with v-sync and stereoscopic. So the requirements aren't outlandish.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 haberman13

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Rocker6

This...

Also, have I ever mentioned how I hate the idea of wearing some creepy looking contraption on my head while gaming?

"I didn't just see objects with depth, I saw them as if I was looking at them with my own eyes." - pre-review

+ Skyrim

= ??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Can you imagine using this thing while dog-fighting in Star Citizen? Looking around the cockpit canopy trying to get a visual on that starfighter that's eluding you? They already said they're going to include support for it. I can't wait. I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 haberman13

It's going to be mind blowing.

Star Citizen alone looks incredible. With the oculus ... well, I'll need to prepare my wife now, so she knows that Rip Van Winkle will be her future husband.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 naz99

[QUOTE="naz99"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

But point taken, this can be said without denegrating the senior citizens amongst us.

Ok i apologise for saying that, it was uncalled for ...but why even bother sinking to the same level just smack them in the face with facts as usual and you win by default :P

Edit: i also am waiting for Star citizen and it's the one game i am truly looking forward to using on the rift...colour me excited!

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Rocker6

This...

Did you forget the part where the thing actually tracks head movement? So camera movement is based around you actually turning? People who have played it came away pretty mesmerized.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="naz99"]

naz99

Ok i apologise for saying that, it was uncalled for ...but why even bother sinking to the same level just smack them in the face with facts as usual and you win by default :P

Edit: i also am waiting for Star citizen and it's the one game i am truly looking forward to using on the rift...colour me excited!

You're too nice for system wars naz, run, before your mind is corrupted!

Or just be a dual personality like myself (and most others on here), who in person would rather give you my PC then hurt your feelings ... but here, its war!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I wonder how much support this will actually get though. Is it easy to port from a normal TV experience to the VR? If not, then I don't see this taking off.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naz99

I wonder how much support this will actually get though. Is it easy to port from a normal TV experience to the VR? If not, then I don't see this taking off.

trugs26

People are already doing it...skyrim farcry 3 etc are all working and people are adding more compatabilty by the day ...so when it does finally come out there will be a huge amount of games supported

As usual with the PC, the community is taking matters into their own hands and working with the rift.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 haberman13

trugs26

'taking off' isn't required. Just that games support it (or the community mods them to).

Given the reaction of the tech community so far, I'm guessing we'll see a lot of support for this.

Carmack is on board, Star Citizen and a few other games have already announced support. Previous iterations of this tech were atrocious, which everybody agrees on, and similarly - everybody that was at CES agrees that this is truly amazing. As-in never before seen awesomeness.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naz99

[QUOTE="naz99"]

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

You're too nice for system wars naz, run, before your mind is corrupted!

Or just be a dual personality like myself (and most others on here), who in person would rather give you my PC then hurt your feelings ... but here, its war!

LOl i know what you mean but they make it too easy on SW ..you dont need to shout back you just let them prove themselves wrong and then laugh...it makes it much much sweeter......a good case in point was around the new year when there was loads of anti PC posts and it was just fail after fail..it was amazing to see and i didn't even need to raise my voice. :)

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Its got alot of buzz behind it that's for sure.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
A step further towards virtual reality! Maybe even a genuine sword art online game eventually. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

trugs26

TrackIR is already supported in quite a few games. I don't think this would be too hard to implement. But again, the popularity of it will be the impetus to make developers create games that use it.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

NoodleFighter
Right now it does, yes. But in 5 years, when next gen consoles are still out, the PC will make this much more affordable. By then mid-grade PCs will be able to use this well, while consoles will be dragging their feet.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Oculus Rift+Star citzen+ awesomeness :cool:

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#45 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

lawlessx
Sh!t man,I was thinking the same thing,still a long way off sadly...
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

Arach666

Sh!t man,I was thinking the same thing,still a long way off sadly...

I can wait...we are getting the alpha this year after all :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Sword Art Online - in 5 years time, only on PC :D
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
So, the resolution on this thing is 1280x800. Isn't that down in the supposedly intolerable console range?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lawlessx

A step further towards virtual reality! Maybe even a genuine sword art online game eventually. :Phexashadow13

right..because we all want to relive what happened in that series :lol:

If that does happen ill hunt down every single system wars member and kill them:twisted:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
So, the resolution on this thing is 1280x800. Isn't that down in the supposedly intolerable console range?lowe0
Its right on your eyes dude.... relevant how?