Ocarina of Time vs Breath of the Wild - which is the better game?

• 65 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24353 posts) 1 month, 7 days ago

Poll: Ocarina of Time vs Breath of the Wild - which is the better game? (85 votes)

Ocarina of Time 64%
Breath of the Wild 36%

Sure, Breath of the Wild is 20 years younger and does certain things better by default. But Ocarina of Time still did some things that were better in my opinion. It had better dungeons, a more engaging story, a more engaging villain. The concept of using the Ocarina was cool. The characters were more interesting. I would say the only thing Breath of the Wild really did better was the open world, which they had the tech for. So in my opinion, Ocarina of Time is better.

What say you, SW?

#1 Edited by Random_Matt (4293 posts) -

OOT, BOTW is barely Zelda anymore, this cannot be disputed.

(Whoops, voted the wrong one)

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

A Link to the Past.

#3 Posted by Heirren (2221 posts) -

@Random_Matt:

It more resembles the original zelda than Ocarina does.

#4 Posted by sakaiXx (5902 posts) -

BoTW. I'm one of the few who never cared much about OoT. That said BoTW has some problems too like Ubisoft tower and empty world.

#5 Posted by Juub1990 (8671 posts) -

@Random_Matt: I can asdure you it’s 100% Zelda. Licensed and produced by Nintendo.

#6 Posted by Basinboy (13916 posts) -

OOT. No Zelda game compares, minus LttP (though I have a soft spot for WW).

#7 Posted by Random_Matt (4293 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

@Random_Matt: I can asdure you it’s 100% Zelda. Licensed and produced by Nintendo.

All lies.

#8 Posted by Heirren (2221 posts) -

Ocarina.

A major part of the appeal of BoTW is the interest in what is right around the corner or over the next hill. I hope for the sequel they dont reuse hyrule.

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (28380 posts) -

Really tough call as my top 4 Legend of Zelda games are so close together that I could probably switch them around on any given day. I’ll go with Breath of the Wild today.

My top 4 Zelda games are:

1. A Link to the Past

2. Breath of the Wild

3. Twilight Princess

4. Ocarina of Time

#10 Posted by Juub1990 (8671 posts) -

@sakaixx: The world isn’t empty at all.

#11 Posted by DaVillain- (37489 posts) -

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time>Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Ocarina of Time was revolutionary, had good stage design, and most importantly, retained what made Zelda fun and unique in the transition into 3D.

#12 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

BoTW openness made the game feel inconsequential. OoT is a better crafted experience imo.

#13 Posted by mojito1988 (3672 posts) -

BOTW. I love the freedom the game offers. Wandering around lost in my random thoughts is my jam.

#14 Posted by Heirren (2221 posts) -

@davillain-:

Same thing could be said about BotW.

#15 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79358 posts) -

I voted for Ocarina of Time, although I immediately leaned towards Breath of the Wild at first. It almost feels that I voted for Ocarina of Time out of nostalgia, but I played it again on the 3DS a while back and remembered that it still held up rather well. What I love more about Ocarina was that it still kept dungeons at the heart of its gameplay. BotW was very weak in that aspect.

#16 Edited by BassMan (10551 posts) -

Ocarina easily. Especially when you factor in the impact it had at the time. There was no game that even came close for many years. BotW is more of a generic open world game and lacks the charm and design of the old Zelda games.

#17 Edited by Heirren (2221 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas:

I agree its very replayable, has a fantastic score, great visuals even to this day, and memorable npcs.

Thats the problem with BotW. A lot of it leans on discovery. An amazing experience, though. Very very few games draw me in like that one. Sort of felt transported back to the era of Ocarina, ironically. All this technology with games like gta 5 but all these other open world games lack the interaction that BotW has.

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19149 posts) -

Haven't finished either game, but I enjoyed OOT more from what I played.

I'm not a fan of the massive open world of BOTW. It's too empty for me.

#19 Posted by Fairmonkey (1472 posts) -

Ocarina was better. BOTW2 could be incredible if they fix 1's issues (breakable weapons, no dungeons, same music/art design each shrine, slightly empty world, no story or characters)

#20 Posted by jcrame10 (5142 posts) -

BotW sucked. Ocarina all day.

#21 Edited by lundy86_4 (53620 posts) -

Gameplay goes to BotW, with zero contest. I loved OoT's story, so i'll give that the ol' story nod. If I could merge them both, then holy... Overall, i'll go OoT, probably due to nostalgia or some shit.

#22 Posted by sakaiXx (5902 posts) -

@Juub1990: must be playing a different game then. I was really bored by 3rd guardian looking for all these shrines and korok seed.

#23 Posted by Vaidream45 (2005 posts) -

OoT was great but few games have hooked me like BOTW did. I’m really excited for the sequel. I always liked WW more that OoT though. I’m one of THOSE guys lol. Link to the Past is still amazing too.

#24 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2242 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

@sakaixx: The world isn’t empty at all.

Yea, if you count copy pasted everything.

#25 Edited by Juub1990 (8671 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:

Yea, if you count copy pasted everything.

No. It's filled to the brim with content. Wildlife, secrets, weapons, small puzzles, vistas, enemies, shrines, wandering characters, settlements...

Even if you don't do the shrines there's plenty to keep you buys. Guess people rather get 20 cities filled with villagers that give out fetch quests.

#26 Posted by Telekill (8549 posts) -

Twilight Princess is better.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#27 Posted by drummerdave9099 (4135 posts) -

Ocarina, but I've also played the hell out of that game and won't again for years and years. It's my own fault.

#28 Posted by jg4xchamp (61707 posts) -

BReath of the Wild, 3D Zelda games before BReath of the Wild are bad video games. Breath of the Wild is the first good video game that the 3D entries have to offer. There was a bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but it's Nintendo, that's just of course the thing they did.

But even with some misgivings with BoTW, and frankly being disappointed by Odyssey, I much prefer the current direction of Nintendo titles. They finally seem to grasp a more multilayered approach to their gameplay with being obviously friendly enough to be someone's first game, but having room for expression for experienced players with their mechanics. We aren't all the way there yet where it's all dime after dime, but hey my bar isn't that high for them anymore now that I know they are basically never going to make a game as deep as Melee ever, anyway.

#29 Posted by sakaiXx (5902 posts) -

@Juub1990: are you that biased to even think fetch quest is good?

#30 Posted by AJStyles (1015 posts) -

BOTW is one of the worst games ever made.

OOT is between 6-7/10 kinda game. Game is old as hell now and very outdated. Has a bunch of flaws. But at some points it does reach 7/10 status.

#31 Edited by Sgt_Crow (6093 posts) -

BotW easily. OoT is my least favourite 3D Zelda game.

#32 Posted by enzyme36 (4259 posts) -

BotW for sure... that world is amazing. The mobility and moment to moment gameplay is the best in series.

#33 Posted by dzimm (5511 posts) -

Breath of the Wild is not only a great Zelda game, but it's one of the best games ever made.

And I don't get the "no dungeons" criticism. Between the four Divine Beasts and the dozens of shrines, it collectively has more dungeon content than any other Zelda game before it.

#34 Posted by ThatDBFan (416 posts) -

I haven't played BoTW yet, so Imma say the legendary Ocarina of Time.

#35 Posted by BassMan (10551 posts) -
@jg4xchamp said:

3D Zelda games before BReath of the Wild are bad video games. Breath of the Wild is the first good video game that the 3D entries have to offer.

#36 Posted by DerekLoffin (9089 posts) -

Oot for me. Botw had promise but totally fumbled it.

#37 Posted by Shmiity (6279 posts) -

BOTW is only good for about 50% of the game. Then you realize that all the Divine Beasts are the same, they all sort of suck, every reward is a shrine, and after you discover most of the world, the game has absolutely nothing to offer. And you can derp Ganon's castle in 3 minutes. Thats a NO from me.

OOT? Only one of the most influential 3d games ever made with one of the best diegetic and non-diegetic soundtracks ever with excellent dungeon design and a great finale.

Thank you, next!

#38 Edited by Ibacai (13826 posts) -

I think BOTW is better in a lot of practical ways; gameplay, graphics, world structure, physics, and weapon variety. OoT shines in the story, dungeon structure, pacing. The part where OoT outdoes BOTW is the fact that it really doesn’t have any aspects that are flat out bad or frustrating. BOTW definitely does in my opinion.

I could see the argument for either being better.

#39 Posted by SaltSlasher (1234 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

A Link to the Past.

#40 Edited by TheEroica (18429 posts) -

Breath of the wild was perfect. I loved all of it. Best open world game ever.

#41 Posted by Vaasman (13801 posts) -

For whatever it's worth I am just glad that a studio was willing to make these two games, both flagships in the same franchise, so very difference on a fundamental level. Streamlined action adventure that emphasizes puzzles and dungeons vs an open-ended game emphasizing exploration and player freedoms. I have to commend Nintendo for their willingness to be bold.

Now those statements aside, I think OoT is the better overall game. While BoTW has a few touches I think are flat out better by default of being more modern, such as art, graphics, and physical interaction, at the end of the day my personal preference leans far more towards the more elaborate dungeoneering and puzzle solving that BoTW sorely lacks. I still think OoT is a game with near perfect pacing, sound design, atmosphere, and level design.

#42 Posted by Oemenia (10381 posts) -

Both games suck, the very definition of the Nintendo bump.

#43 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@Juub1990: but BoTW is filled with fetch quests.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (82717 posts) -

Breath of the Wild is the better game in any comparison between it and whatever other game.

#45 Posted by DaVillain- (37489 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Breath of the Wild is the better game in any comparison between it and whatever other game.

To bad the poll doesn't favor you're opinion Charz :P

#46 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

In these discussions no one ever brings up Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. Funny that, considering the meltdown on here over the relatively good (and if anything, overrated) scores.

I mean, it's almost as if, once the hype has died down, people admit they weren't the flawless genre defining games people claimed.

#47 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20630 posts) -

OoT. There's very little I like about BotW.

@DocSanchez: I'm a big fan of both games, especially TP, which has a real case for being my favorite Zelda ever. With that said, you're totally right about the backtracking. I remember getting a shit ton of heat on here for pointing out the flaws with SS when it came out, and the same happened again with BotW. I guess it comes with the territory of always thinking for yourself, lol.

#48 Posted by uninspiredcup (34332 posts) -

Of those two BOTW.

Of the series Phantom Hourglass. It's a first class example of what can be done with simplicity.

#49 Posted by sakaiXx (5902 posts) -

@Shmiity said:

BOTW is only good for about 50% of the game. Then you realize that all the Divine Beasts are the same, they all sort of suck, every reward is a shrine, and after you discover most of the world, the game has absolutely nothing to offer. And you can derp Ganon's castle in 3 minutes. Thats a NO from me.

OOT? Only one of the most influential 3d games ever made with one of the best diegetic and non-diegetic soundtracks ever with excellent dungeon design and a great finale.

Thank you, next!

Agree on Botw point. I realized that by the time I fought the 3rd divine beast at the desert I was doing the same repetitive task. find shrine to get hearts/stamina, hoard weapon, climb ubisoft tower to find more shrines, kill divine beast and repeat till I finally get the sword and then kill ganon.

But since I dont care about OoT whatever the heck it somehow made people very nostalgic about it, I choose BoTW.

#50 Posted by Jag85 (13595 posts) -

OOT for me.