Obama calls for videogame violence research

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The president has called upon centers for disease control to conduct more tests on the connection between digital and real world violence.

"The Obama administration is calling on Congress to allocate $10 million for the CDC to conduct its research. Vice President Joe Biden met with gaming leaders--including Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello and Entertainment Software Association president Michael Gallagher--last week to discuss gun violence."

I think this is dumb, why pick on us over all this crap. Videogames don't kill people, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Source

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Good. Let 'em. Then when we have a federally-funded study that proves that there is no causative relationship between violent video games (or any media) and real world violence, maybe people will shut the f*ck up.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Good. Let 'em. Then when we have a federally-funded study that proves that there is no correlation between violent video games and real world violence, maybe people will shut the f*ck up.

DarkLink77
Sponsored by the NRA!
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
I hope they ban Zelda
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

Good. Let 'em. Then when we have a federally-funded study that proves that there is no causative relationship between violent video games (or any media) and real world violence, maybe people will shut the f*ck up.

DarkLink77
i would love to see this but it wont happen. either it will be biased or if the results are not what they want they will bury the study.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58668 Posts
Tax money hard at work..
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

DarkLink77
yeah....federal studies are rarely objective or truthful.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts
I hope they ban Zeldathemajormayor
Lol
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

DarkLink77
This. We'll finally have a study that serves as the nail in the coffin of the myth that video games cause or even facilitate real-world violence.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

WilliamRLBaker

Here comes the pothead.
OB-47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OB-47
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

How about tightening up the gun laws or something.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

OB-47
Or examining the way our society treats the mentally ill. Nah, those ideas make too much sense.
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

DarkLink77
Except these things are never that simple. The "researchers" will probably be threatened that their funding will be cut off if they don't show a link between videogames and violence. Videogames are the new Rock music.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 princeofshapeir

OB-47
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/us/politics/obama-to-ask-congress-to-toughen-gun-laws.html?hp&_r=0 You should try watching/reading the news.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25254 Posts

Good thing I already bought Far Cry 3. I'm sure PETA and the ASPCA aren't happy with the game either.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
LOLAmerica
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

User Lists: 24

#17 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
What a waste of money.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Plagueless
Except these things are never that simple. The "researchers" will probably be threatened that their funding will be cut off if they don't show a link between videogames and violence. Videogames are the new Rock music.

I sincerely doubt that.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

princeofshapeir

Here comes the pothead.

He's right though, considering how much pressure can be applied on your government from private organisations, I really don't see how this is going to change anything. If the study finds things that doesn't fit someone's agenda then the study will be written off.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="OB-47"]

PannicAtack
Or examining the way our society treats the mentally ill. Nah, those ideas make too much sense.

They're doing all those things, too, shockingly.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

DarkLink77

Politically charged demand for more research utilizing government run organizations is just begging for a massive amount of bias in favor of whoever is paying the bill.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

OB-47
Because all that does is hurt the law-abiding citizens. If I'm a crazy thug who wants to shoot a bunch of people, do you really think I'd go to the local gun store and submit to a background check to get a licensed firearm? Hell no. I'd buy unlicensed guns from the other thug on the corner.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] yeah....federal studies are rarely objective or truthful.

Here comes the pothead.

He's right though, considering how much pressure can be applied on your government from private organisations, I really don't see how this is going to change anything. If the study finds things that doesn't fit someone's agenda then the study will be written off.

This is so naive it makes my brain hurt. You can't seriously believe the NRA has ethereal tendrils wrapped around the CDC preventing them from conducting fair research. They may do so for congressional Republicans, but believe it or not their influence is limited.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] yeah....federal studies are rarely objective or truthful.

Here comes the pothead.

I doubt that a study ordered by the President and undertaken at the CDC will be influenced by private organizations.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Wasdie

Politically charged demand for more research utilizing government run organizations is just begging for a massive amount of bias in favor of whoever is paying the bill.

Which in this case, is the federal government. I don't see the issue. Unless you think Obama wants the CDC to publish specific things.
OB-47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OB-47

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

DarkLink77

They're doing all those things, too, shockingly.

tbh sounds like the guy is doing the right thing researching video games. He's doing the mentally ill thing, tigtening up gun laws and just doing some research on video games. If the research shows no link he can rule them out. I don't think he has a prejudice against games or anything.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clyde46
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] Here comes the pothead.

I doubt that a study ordered by the President and undertaken at the CDC will be influenced by private organizations.

The fact that this study has even been ordered is bad enough. They did the same thing with music and with movies and guess what, nothing happened.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="clyde46"] He's right though, considering how much pressure can be applied on your government from private organisations, I really don't see how this is going to change anything. If the study finds things that doesn't fit someone's agenda then the study will be written off.

The fact that this study has even been ordered is bad enough. They did the same thing with music and with movies and guess what, nothing happened.

No disagreement, but if we can bury this sh!t once and for all, I'm all for it.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

DarkLink77

This research is backed by a painfully obvious agenda... skewed results and questionable methods are the order of the day here, I'd say...

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Rocker6

This research is backed by a painfully obvious agenda... skewed results and questionable methods are the order of the day here, I'd say...

Man, the conspiracy theories are out in force today.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Which in this case, is the federal government. I don't see the issue. Unless you think Obama wants the CDC to publish specific things.

Not Obama, but the whole government in general loves scapegoats so there could be a push for making video games out to be the enemy.

OB-47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OB-47

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Rocker6

Just like the link between music and violence which showed no evidence? Right...

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Not Obama, but the whole government in general loves scapegoats so there could be a push for making video games out to be the enemy.

Yeah, but they've done this sort of thing before and been honest about it, so I don't think it'll happen.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Nah, I honestly hope I'm wrong, I also want this matter of blaming video games for everything put to rest, but I reserve my right to remain skeptical...

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

There is no legit way to link video games to violent crime. I mean, there have been time periods in history where people watched real physical violence and that did not lead to violent crime, why would video games. Even then, even if some thinly veiled correlation can be made between games and violence its so impossible to prove causation. They can complain all that want but under this stupid thought process you can argue that the rise in violent video games has lowered the amount of crime in america since actualcrime rates are declining, not rising :|

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

I don't see it as a conspiracy, its how things are done in politics. They are looking for a scapegoat to try and move away from issue at hand. Happens in every political country. I don't doubt for a second that the research will done fairly, its just what happens afterwards. How the politicians will try and twist the findings to suit whatever agenda they have.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

*pops in video game into system*

*starts killing off dozens of enemies*

government worker: "yup, this is violence"

*bans video games forever*

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Cool.

I used to work with a professor in college that did this type of research in media studies. Pretty cool looking at some of the points and criticisms when looking at the exposure of violent video games and its demographics. I know she would be happy to read this article and do even more case studies and such with some funding. :D. Almost makes me want to try and get my masters in this subject.

Also, for the record I do believe their is a link between violent video games and peoples perceptions and certain actions, although it has been 3 years since I got my bachelors in Mass Communication theory.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

princeofshapeir

Here comes the pothead.

except ive never smoked pot in my life due to the fact im allergic to thc....
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] yeah....federal studies are rarely objective or truthful.

Here comes the pothead.

except ive never smoked pot in my life due to the fact im allergic to thc....

That only makes it worse bro
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Instead of putting resources into research of mental illness. Then again, you get what you pay for.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

clyde46

I don't see it as a conspiracy, its how things are done in politics. They are looking for a scapegoat to try and move away from issue at hand. Happens in every political country. I don't doubt for a second that the research will done fairly, its just what happens afterwards. How the politicians will try and twist the findings to suit whatever agenda they have.

They can't twist much if there's nothing to twist.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77

Instead of putting resources into research of mental illness. Then again, you get what you pay for.

slimjimbadboy
They did that, too.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Man, the conspiracy theories are out in force today.

Two things will happen. The study finds no link, politicians will question the study and then try to get it thrown out. Or two, the study does find a connection, said politicians will then use it to try and ban violent games.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

A brief look at some evidence points to inconclusive findings thus far.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11126-007-9056-9?LI=true#page-1

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/12/5/353.short

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2958.2001.tb00787.x/abstract

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2010-03383-001

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140197103000927

If the scientists conducting the study have integrity then you won't have to worry about any bias whatever. If bias were introduced due to financials then this is a conflict of interest and the author must register this in the manuscript when it is sent for publication.

Besides, if all the evidence from these federal studies is contrary to what other universities around the globe have found, it might just mean that the environment of America propogates real-life violence from video games better than the environments of other countries.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="clyde46"] I don't see it as a conspiracy, its how things are done in politics. They are looking for a scapegoat to try and move away from issue at hand. Happens in every political country. I don't doubt for a second that the research will done fairly, its just what happens afterwards. How the politicians will try and twist the findings to suit whatever agenda they have.

Two things will happen. The study finds no link, politicians will question the study and then try to get it thrown out. Or two, the study does find a connection, said politicians will then use it to try and ban violent games.

Or three, the study finds no link, and there's enough honest people left in the world that it's accepted.
Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

princeofshapeir

Here comes the pothead.

What's wrong with smoking pot?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] yeah....federal studies are rarely objective or truthful.DrKillByDeath84

Here comes the pothead.

What's wrong with smoking pot?

Well, it is illegal. Not that I care whether or not you smoke. Just sayin'.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Wasdie

Yeah I think even if they find a tiny tiny little bit of evidence they will blow it out of proportion just so they can show everyone they found something.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They can't twist much if there's nothing to twist.

Or three, the study finds no link, and there's enough honest people left in the world that it's accepted.

We can only hope that there are some people left in your government that can put 2 and 2 together.