Nvidia Tegra 2: A Game-Changer in Mobile

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrmcygan
Member since 2010 • 882 Posts

Awesome Video From CES 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXoFlSYakuo&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.ripten.com/2011/01/08/nvidia-tegra-a-game-changer-in-mobile/

Mobile gaming is a niche market that, until recently, was mostly comprised of card games and Tetris spin-offs. The graphics made 8-bit look good. Apple changed all that with the original iPhone, which was capable of pumping out some pretty decent graphics. The trend has continued, with each successive iOS device bringing more graphics power to the table, and better games that take advantage of that power.

Android, on the other hand, has been pretty much left in the dust when it comes to gaming. Sure, there are some interesting games out there for the Android platform, but until recently it seems like most serious game developers looked solely to iOS when looking to bring a mobile game to market. That's started changing in just the past 6 months, with flagship titles like Angry Birds finally making the leap to the Droid. With some of the big reveals at CES out of the way, it looks like that is a trend that will continue; and from the looks of it, Apple's got a real problem on their hands.

The Nvidia Tegra GPU is a huge leap forward for mobile gaming, providing unparalleled performance for graphics on a mobile phone. The results are unreal. Galaxy on Fire 2, a space sim and one of the best games in the Apple App Store, has been ported over to the Android platform to take advantage of the Tegra GPU. On the way, They've added 4x higher-res textures, 6 times the poly count, OpenGL ES 2.0 shaders, and all that running at a cool 1280×800 resolution with no slowdown. The game looks amazing, and definitely goes beyond anything we've seen up until now on a mobile device.

It is also rumored that the PSP2 will have the Tegra 2 chip

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I know that Tegra 2 is making games look good they are also having some phones that will have cross game play with PC, Tegra 2 phones, PS3, and 360.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nvidia Tegra 2 is the death for Nindendo 3DS

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
Untill it becomes flash certified ill hold off..yes its a beast but I still want to kno what samsung has too offer with there dual core orion chip
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

Until mobiles have controls made for gaming, it will never be a viable gaming device.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

making games for phones is a nightmare . They are all just so different ! it might work on the ios but on the droid there are 10 billion different phones .

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#7 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

aroxx_ab

Just how like the psp and all its power and graphics was the death of the ds, right?

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

making games for phones is a nightmare . They are all just so different ! it might work on the ios but on the droid there are 10 billion different phones .

dontshackzmii
It's been my experience that Apple exaggerates the fragmentation of Android software. I've download hundreds of Android apps, and I've had maybe one or two that wouldn't work with my phone. If developers test their apps with the top five Android phones at the time of development, odds are pretty good that over 90% of Android phones will run that particular app.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Give me Nintendo or give me death! *regarding mobile gaming.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Battery life information please.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Battery life information please.

RavenLoud

With the Tegra 2 it shuts down componets of the hardware that you aren't using when you are playing games so the system will run cool and save on battery life.

http://ces.gamespot.com/video/6286041/

anotherone10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 anotherone10
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts

aroxx_ab

Nvidia Tegra 2 is the birth of the PSP2 :P

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

the problem with mobile gaming is the controls. playing a 2d game is not bad, but playing a 3d game is a night mare. I tried to play doom on my phone and I gave up after 10 mins of frustration. a racing game like asphalt 5 also is a nightmare