Nvidia Geforce livestream for the 40 series starts at 8AM PDT 11AM EST. 4090 1600$, 4080 16gb 1200$, 4080 12gb 900$

• 128 results
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:

BassMan...

Yup

I think I am going for the 4090. All the prices are ridiculous, but the specs of the 4090 over the 4080 are enough to milk me all the way to the top tier. They didn't get me with the 3090 though since it was a minimal performance gain over the 3080. Their new tactics are working on me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By BassMan

@girlusocrazy: Games scale, so PC will definitely be taking advantage of the tech. The new gen consoles are alright with these cross gen titles, but they will be humbled quickly once the flood of UE5 games start hitting.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

oooff, another day, another dolla for nvidia, another day for pc gamers getting rekkd.

Well, it doesnt matter to me anyways. Nvidia prices have never concerned me, only what AMD prices their cards at matters. But seeing how nvidia keeps jacking up prices, I have a feeling AMD will do the same.

This is why consoles are the best.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Insecure console gamer, meet Insecure PC gamer.😂

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BassMan

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

oooff, another day, another dolla for nvidia, another day for pc gamers getting rekkd.

Well, it doesnt matter to me anyways. Nvidia prices have never concerned me, only what AMD prices their cards at matters. But seeing how nvidia keeps jacking up prices, I have a feeling AMD will do the same.

AMD didn't price the 6000 series cheaply. So, expect the same with their new cards. They will milk as much as they can.

How are consoles the best? These new cards absolutely destroy the consoles.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 blaznwiipspman1

@BassMan said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

AMD didn't price the 6000 series cheaply. So, expect the same with their new cards. They will milk as much as they can.

How are consoles the best? These new cards absolutely destroy the consoles.

jeez, how can you keep defending nvidia. Nobody should be buying their shit and force them to drop prices. They need to be boycotted. And yeah, AMD just colludes together with nvidia...giving a slight discount as long as they keep their market share. Its all a real joke. Everyone should get together and buy an AMD card this time, just to push nvidia into dropping prices back down to $500.

All the games out there, they all run reasonably well, 2k to 4k res for the most part on consoles. I expect that to not change, especially with things like FRS and DSL, and DRS, not to mention VRS2.0. Consoles will keep up pretty good.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@pclover1980 said:

900 bucks for the 12gb 4080. Nvidia's really feeling that inflation now. Guess I'm gonna skip this one, but DLSS 3.0 looks mighty good.

I'm tempted to just wait for the 5000 series cards, but we'll see

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BassMan
@girlusocrazy said:
@BassMan said:

@girlusocrazy: Games scale, so PC will definitely be taking advantage of the tech. The new gen consoles are alright with these cross gen titles, but they will be humbled quickly once the flood of UE5 games start hitting.

Games only scale so much. You can look at games on PCs vs consoles for each generation. It's not going to be any different this gen. Personally it's not enough for me to care nor to sacrifice the convenience.

Did you try playing The Matrix Awakens demo on console? It was shit. It was blurry as fuk and couldn't even keep 30fps (which is terrible anyway). Now imagine playing UE5 games on PC where it is not a blurfest, you can turn up the settings and run the games at 60fps+. But hey, if you don't care about quality, the consoles are there for you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@BassMan: Can you tell me what DLSS 3 is about? Legit have no clue.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 R4gn4r0k
@BassMan said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Both AMD and Nvidia know how much scalpers took on top of the MSRP. They want to get in on the action, scalp the people buying straight from AMD and Nvidia when people were willing to pay this much.

The 2020 situation is still biting everyone in the ass and both companies are still fine with paper launches, the less to go around, the better for their bottom line.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

So tempted to update my 3080 to a 4080 but it seems so soon to be spending another 600+ on another video card.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BassMan

@blaznwiipspman1: I am not defending Nvidia. The prices are ridiculous, but they do put out good products. I am an enthusiast that is willing to pay more for quality. However, the average gamer will not. So, they will release cheaper cards in the future. In the meantime, they have a lot of 3000 series cards left to sell which they have been discounting heavily lately. There are options.

The consoles are now low tier hardware compared to this new generation of GPUs. That is the reality.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BassMan
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's just using more advanced AI techniques like DLSS Frame Generation to give higher performance while maintaining high visual quality. More performance is always welcome. :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's just using more advanced AI techniques to give higher performance while maintaining high visual quality. More performance is always welcome. :)

But TAA and DLSS still have some huge issues, like that sharpening issue in God of War. Blurring and ghosting in TAA.

I'd say you're right buying a 4090 but please for the love of God use DLDSR 2.25x in every game and brute force TAA out of here.

I was playing Isonzo and it's unplayable with TAA or TXAA. Luckily it's Unity engine so I can quickly inject SMAA and it looks gorgeous as a result.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4361 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Interesting (and crazy power requirements) but games will be held back by consoles, there won't be anything that takes full advantage of the tech until consoles bring it to the masses.

Console will still be my main, it's the happy medium and also the most convenient experience. PC is just for f***ing around.

well there flight sim 2020 or mordor games... wait those cant play 8k asset games. nvm.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BassMan

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah, the quality of these post processing/image reconstruction implementations vary from game to game. DLSS started off as shit, but improved a lot over time and is an important feature to have. I look forward to any improvements that DLSS 3 brings.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 R4gn4r0k

@girlusocrazy: Meh even at 100-120fps throughout my Cyberpunk playthrought the ghosting was still very noticable and distracting.

You can have the most realistic character models in the world but then the eyes start ghosting and it's ... a mess.

I hate the direction a lot of these games are going. I'd rather take olden graphics over modern guesswork and temporal solutions.

Lets take Stray for example: it's a modern UE 4 game, it has TAA and ran at 1440/60 and wasn't taken out of the experience once because it has a tremendous art style and doesn't try going for ultra realism in its characters, but it does in its baked lighting. It made all the right choices.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Well, in sh*tting on Nvidia I totally forgot the consoles and consolites. 10/12TF consoles at the higher end to 90TF GPU. And then there's S at 4TFs.

Consolites should DC harder than what they are already doing.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 R4gn4r0k
@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah, the quality of these post processing implementations vary from game to game. DLSS started off as shit, but improved a lot over time and is an important feature to have. I look forward to any improvements that DLSS 3 brings.

DICE should be in jail for not providing an upgrade to BF V dlss, it should be DLSS 2 by now and it's still DLSS 1 which is better left off.

As long as every DLSS 3 game is also retro fitted with DLSS 2 I'll be fine, I guess.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#76 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Love the marketing of the 4090 vs the 3090Ti and the 4080 vs 3080Ti - showing upwards of 2-4x performance.

Just be sure you ignore the whole small, fine print at the bottom of the graphs showing that the "2-4x performance gain" is gained through the use of DLSS on the 40 series. It doesn't say anything about the 30 series using DLSS in these two graphs.

Yeah for Nvidia's clever marketing!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:

Well, in sh*tting on Nvidia I totally forgot the consoles and consolites. 10/12TF consoles at the higher end to 90TF GPU. And then there's S at 4TFs.

I sincerely doubt someone gaming at 90TF is happier than someone gaming at 4TF

I was playing Gears 2 at 4K and sure it looks lovely, but I can't believe anyone who played the game 720p would've been any less happier.

Is mafia DE a better game because it has fancier graphics and fancier reflections? Or are both City of Lost Heaven and DE worth a play because they are both great games?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BassMan

@R4gn4r0k: No worries. DLSS 2 will still be fully supported. Developers are not going to abandon the majority of cards out there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: No worries. DLSS 2 will still be fully supported. Developers are not going to abandon the majority of cards out there.

I was happy to see Uncharted 4 and LL get DLSS 2 support: making 4K/60 for this jaw dropping gorgeous game finally within the realm of possibility: whilst PS5 still made us choose (I'll never forgive PS5 for making me choose between my two babies).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@girlusocrazy said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@girlusocrazy: Meh even at 100-120fps throughout my Cyberpunk playthrought the ghosting was still very noticable and distracting.

You can have the most realistic character models in the world but then the eyes start ghosting and it's ... a mess.

I hate the direction a lot of these games are going. I'd rather take olden graphics over modern guesswork and temporal solutions.

Lets take Stray for example: it's a modern UE 4 game, it has TAA and ran at 1440/60 and wasn't taken out of the experience once because it has a tremendous art style and doesn't try going for ultra realism in its characters, but it does in its baked lighting. It made all the right choices.

At least they'll keep working on it and it's still optional.

True, it's always cool when devs can achieve results that blow away your expectations by making smart design choices that come out ahead of a straightforward implementation. There's a lot of games that achieve results that are close enough to ray tracing without the performance hit, and still gives enough headroom for additional smartly designed effects.

Hooray for graphical development.

The solution, and cause, of all of our problems 🥳

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts

Do we know the approximate release window for the 4060ti and the 4070 ? If it Spring 2023, f the wait.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 R4gn4r0k

@hardwenzen said:

Do we know the approximate time the 4060ti and the 4070 release window? If it Spring 2023, f the wait.

Just in time for Halo season 3

Give it two months and they'll be announced ;)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

Do we know the approximate time the 4060ti and the 4070 release window? If it Spring 2023, f the wait.

Just in time for Halo season 3

Give it two months and they'll be announced ;)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PC_Rocks

@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

I was playing Gears 2 at 4K and sure it looks lovely, but I can't believe anyone who played the game 720p would've been any less happier.

Is mafia DE a better game because it has fancier graphics and fancier reflections? Or are both City of Lost Heaven and DE worth a play because they are both great games?

Where did I say anything even close to that? Most of the time I play indie games now with an occasional AAA game because the current AAA companies has so little to offer me. However, we are in the thread about GPUs so it's perfectly reasonable to compare the gulf of capabilities among systems. After all, how many graphics threads are created by consolites and then the idiocy over SSD/secret sauce etc etc, and not to mention the 8K/120FPS on the box when the actual titles struggle to run at 1080p.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@BassMan: chhezus I never saw someone shill so hard for over priced junk. You will defend them when the 5000 series flagship sells for $2000

I'd like to say I remember the good old days, when Nvidia released the 580 for $500. I thought that was expensive.

Nvidia is just conditioning you PC fans to spend more and more. Pretty soon you will be spending $5000 on gpus and not even questioning it like sheep.

The sad part is, you're dragging down console gaming with you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

Where did I say anything even close to that? Most of the time I play indie games now with an occasional AAA game because the current AAA companies has so little to offer me. However, we are in the thread about GPUs so it's perfectly reasonable to compare the gulf of capabilities among systems. After all, how many graphics threads are created by consolites and then the idiocy over SSD/secret sauce etc etc, and not to mention the 8K/120FPS on the box when the actual titles struggle to run at 1080p.

I'm fine with you pointing out the hypocricies of the video game companies.

I just wondered why any console should damage control anything when we have had consoles for two generations now that have been plenty fine of putting out the most gorgeous visuals ever:

Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us part 2 and Spiderman, just to name a few.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PC_Rocks
@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

I'm fine with you pointing out the hypocricies of the video game companies.

I just wondered why any console should damage control anything when we have had consoles for two generations now that have been plenty fine of putting out the most gorgeous visuals ever:

Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us part 2 and Spiderman, just to name a few.

Completely disagree. All of those were mostly window dressing using baked effects trying to hide behind performance capture and sh*t. Their illusion of 'wonderful visuals' falls apart immediately you get control and you realize that everything is static as f**k with almost no interactivity. On a technical level none of those comes close to even some indie games. Oh and I almost forgot to mention that all those titles didn't even have locked 30 on the base consoles. Yikes!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 R4gn4r0k

@pc_rocks said:

Completely disagree. All of those were mostly window dressing using baked effects trying to hide behind performance capture and sh*t. Their illusion of 'wonderful visuals' falls apart immediately you get control and you realize that everything is static as f**k with almost no interactivity. On a technical level none of those comes close to even some indie games.

Show me any PC game from the past 5 years that has AAA graphics that is different.

You disagree yet you can't tell me a single PC game that has these console games beaten.

You make up arbitrary rules to justify... Whatever it is you're trying to justify here, that games in the past were better? That wasn't even your point to begin with. You were comparing a 90TF GPU to a 4TF one, remember? I replied that games are supposed to be about fun, not horsepower.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BassMan
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@BassMan: chhezus I never saw someone shill so hard for over priced junk. You will defend them when the 5000 series flagship sells for $2000

I'd like to say I remember the good old days, when Nvidia released the 580 for $500. I thought that was expensive.

Nvidia is just conditioning you PC fans to spend more and more. Pretty soon you will be spending $5000 on gpus and not even questioning it like sheep.

The sad part is, you're dragging down console gaming with you.

It is not about defending or shilling. It is acknowledging that these are beastly GPUs that destroy consoles. Whether people want to pay for quality is up to them.

I remember the good old days when 49 cents would get me a litre of gas or a cheesburger at McDonalds. These are not the good old days.

Console gaming drags itself down. LOL

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Nvidia's getting real bold with that pricing. Guess no one told them yet that crypto mining is dead.

Anyway I'm fine with a 3080 so I'll just wait til the 5000 series, which is about when I'll need to build a new PC from scratch anyway.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

there won't be anything that takes full advantage of the tech until consoles bring it to the masses.

Nope. 4K 120-144hz displays.

I'm starting to struggle anything near that for some games at 4K with my 3080.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan: Boss reply by the way 8-)

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By PC_Rocks
@R4gn4r0k said:
@pc_rocks said:

Completely disagree. All of those were mostly window dressing using baked effects trying to hide behind performance capture and sh*t. Their illusion of 'wonderful visuals' falls apart immediately you get control and you realize that everything is static as f**k with almost no interactivity. On a technical level none of those comes close to even some indie games.

Show me any PC game from the past 5 years that has AAA graphics that is different.

You disagree yet you can't tell me a single PC game that has these console games beaten.

You make up arbitrary rules to justify... Whatever it is you're trying to justify here, that games in the past were better? That wasn't even your point to begin with. You were comparing a 90TF GPU to a 4TF one, remember? I replied that games are supposed to be about fun, not horsepower.

5 years? How about I go almost a decade back? Crysis 3 had better interactivity and physics then pretty much all the games you listed. It was mostly held back by lack of PBR. Oh and then there's the entire BF series this gen. Which title in your list comes even close to the graphics, performance and interactivity of any BF game? Oh I can name even an indie game with far better interactivity and technical features than all the games you listed- Kingdom Come Deliverance. Then Hunt, another one. Oh and if you want an exclusive there's Total War. The consoles would melt if they tried to run it.

Oh and I'm not trying to say that games in the past were better. I was saying that the games you listed might look good because they pretty much bake everything with very little realtime effects, hence can't be considered the having the best graphics.

Besides, games about being fun. I agree but then you should think again. I'm pretty sure if you remove the window dressing aka production values in the titles you mentioned, no one would play it because that's all they have going for it. I'm pretty sure you could play many indie games or 90s classics with extremely bad graphics but had meaty gameplay. Same can't be said about the titles you listed so I was just outlining their technical limitations.

And that was the point behind 4/10/12TF to 90TF. You can't beat the law of physics no matter how hard you try. There's no magic or secret sauce that bridges the gap.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

There is no good reason for them to confine DLSS 3.0 to the newer gpus except to goad us into buying them. Good thing FSR is a thing.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

if the 4090 really has that crazy raster performance I might get it but gonna see actual benchmarks, got 3090 on launch so this would be tax deductable again...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BassMan

Damn, DF has one already...

Loading Video...

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Gonna be super fun trying to get one of these, especially since EVGA is apparently dropping Nvidia as a partner.