Nvidia Freestyle -- Holy crap!

#1 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25386 posts) -

Need to clear out that ugly blur? Want a bit of depth of field to hide the hideous sprites far away? Need a bit of extra lighting or fine tuning for exposure? Don't want to mess with installing and configuring a reshade, or want to play in DX12?

Freestyle allows much of that freedom, without having to resort to using DX11 and going through the process of installing a reshade. Freestyle is a new Nvidia filter that allows you to use it while in game, including sharpening, clarity, exposure, DoF, and much more.

https://www.geforce.com/en_GB/gfecnt/whats-new/articles/nvidia-freestyle-ansel-enhancements-geforce-experience-article

While it's relatively simple once you get the basics of a reshade down, it can be fairly daunting the first time you leap into configuring it. With a plethora of options, it's quite powerful, but the downfall is you can't play in directx12 mode, and it may not work with some games fully; AC Odyssey being one example, you have to be in fullscreen windowed for it to work, while fullscreen crashes the game if you launch it with a reshade.

Freestyle isn't as powerful as reshade; you can't add anti-aliasing to a game, for example. But, you can use it with DX12 games, which is a huge plus for games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus.

Example of using the filter versus regular gameplay:

As you can see, I cleared up the blur, increased clarity quite a bit, and added a little color to the muted palette.

If you want to use the new Freestyle mode, make sure you have the newest Geforce Experience; after that, launch a supported game, and hit Alt+F3. It's that easy.

There are three profiles to use, so you can quickly switch to others on the fly.

@BassMan: Have you seen this yet?

#2 Posted by BassMan (10393 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: Looks promising other than having to install Geforce Experience. I will give it a go regardless as I play BFV in DX12 and would like to add some sharpening due to the forced TAA.

#3 Posted by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

Looks interesting, could be worth playing with.

#4 Edited by lundy86_4 (53386 posts) -

Nice. I've never bothered with reshades, because they can be a pain in the butt when you dunno what you're doing. I'll give this a shot.

#5 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

Don't ever use sharpening. Just don't.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (33717 posts) -

Now PC Gamers can make ALL GAMES look like a charcoal filled nuclear bomb went off.

The road was long, but it was finally leading to this.

#7 Posted by with_teeth26 (9558 posts) -

nice, I'll probably mess around with this in a couple of games

#8 Edited by BassMan (10393 posts) -

@true_link said:

You really like blurry graphics. Are you a spokesperson for Vaseline?

#9 Edited by True_Link (243 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@true_link said:

Sharpening is a filter that doesn't really makes anything sharp, it is really just a border enhancer, which makes the image really terrible to see. Digital image doesn't need a sharpness filter because it doesn't get any interference whatsoever from the source.

More on this here:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-down-your-tv-sharpness-control/

You can read about this in any forum and anyone who knows how to calibrate a TV will turn the sharpness off. It has no purpose on a 0/1 world.

Please do not make comments about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

#10 Posted by BassMan (10393 posts) -

@true_link said:
@BassMan said:
@true_link said:

Sharpening is a filter that doesn't really makes anything sharp, it is really just a border enhancer, which makes the image really terrible to see. Digital image doesn't need a sharpness filter because it doesn't get any interference whatsoever from the source.

More on this here:

You can read about this in any forum and anyone who knows how to calibrate a TV will turn the sharpness off. It has no purpose on a 0/1 world.

Original
Original
With ReShade
With ReShade

Images courtesy of @DragonfireXZ95

#11 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25386 posts) -

@BassMan: Lol, he doesn't even know which sharpness we're adding to games.

@true_link: We are not using TV sharpness. We are using an API sharpener that actually works in the games we play, and is not just applied by the monitor/TV. You have no idea what a reshade or Nvidia Ansel is, so if I were you, I wouldn't even attempt to tell us what to do with our games.

Speaking of which, I did the same for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Huge improvement.

They also released ray traced shadows, which does make a difference, but I expect certain scenes look better than others.

#12 Posted by Gatygun (1528 posts) -

Nice feature, sadly DOA as it requires geforce experience to be installed.

#13 Edited by Yams1980 (3513 posts) -

This is good to have since reshade/sweetfx is hard to run in some games or doesn't run at all.

For example, Dead or Alive 6 I can't get any version of reshade to load, it just crashes the game. I'd imagine its some type of anticheat thing they have that is preventing the injection. Which is kinda funny since i can run Cheat Engine just fine with it and find game values with no problem, so the values aren't even encrypted.

But having to install Geforce Experience is kinda a no deal. I don't like extra bloated software on my PC, i'd have to be really desperate to use it. Maybe its a bit less shit now, i haven't had it installed for a few years.

#14 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25386 posts) -
@Yams1980 said:

This is good to have since reshade/sweetfx is hard to run in some games or doesn't run at all.

For example, Dead or Alive 6 I can't get any version of reshade to load, it just crashes the game. I'd imagine its some type of anticheat thing they have that is preventing the injection. Which is kinda funny since i can run Cheat Engine just fine with it and find game values with no problem, so the values aren't even encrypted.

But having to install Geforce Experience is kinda a no deal. I don't like extra bloated software on my PC, i'd have to be really desperate to use it. Maybe its a bit less shit now, i haven't had it installed for a few years.

It's way better than it was a few years ago. I'd say the trade off is worth it. And, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it. It's definitely worth it for some games such as these DX12 games or Dead or Alive, like in your example.

#15 Posted by Yams1980 (3513 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: nice. I'm gonna try it out next time i update my drivers.

#16 Posted by DaVillain- (36952 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: I see big difference between the pics above, I have Geforce Experience and will give it a try on Hellblade this weekend cause I'm gonna replay that game again.

#17 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

Makes me think of hardcore a/v enthusiasts. They'll prefer the dull calibrated look as intended by directors.

#18 Posted by SchnabbleTab (1488 posts) -

@true_link said:
@BassMan said:
@true_link said:

More on this here:

Are you sure that you know what you're talking about? Because your post if full of bollocks.

#19 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

So....it’s a pain in the ass to use and it really doesn’t do that much when most games with good PC’s look good anyway.

PC as usual, nothing to see here folks move along.

#20 Posted by dagubot (1343 posts) -

I tried this in the past and it wasn't bad but I didn't like that it only supported a handful of games at the time that I used it; sure they added more by now. Nonetheless, I stick to using Reshade as I know how to work with it to my liking.

#21 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25386 posts) -

@dagubot said:

I tried this in the past and it wasn't bad but I didn't like that it only supported a handful of games at the time that I used it; sure they added more by now. Nonetheless, I stick to using Reshade as I know how to work with it to my liking.

Yeah, reshade is more powerful, too, but this works on the DX12 games, so that's really the big plus here.

#22 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@BassMan: Wow, that's pretty great. Taking all that Vaseline off the screen!

Not that a little Vaseline isn't terrible. Just ask Star Wars....

Will there be presets people can download? Like someone posts some screens and I'm like "Wow that looks great, what settings did you use?" and they can be all "Dude just download this file" and voila there you go.

#23 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25386 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:

@BassMan: Wow, that's pretty great. Taking all that Vaseline off the screen!

Not that a little Vaseline isn't terrible. Just ask Star Wars....

Will there be presets people can download? Like someone posts some screens and I'm like "Wow that looks great, what settings did you use?" and they can be all "Dude just download this file" and voila there you go.

No, but it's crazy easy to apply. Just select your filter, and drag the sliders. You also get 3 profiles that you can save settings on and switch between.

#24 Posted by jg4xchamp (61621 posts) -

Gonna wait out the new dust collectors before I finally upgrade my PC. My 970/i7 combo has been doing rock solid, and I don't ask much on resolution end since my 144hz monitor is only 1440p. Plus I get bailed out, with so many of these triple A games being wack anyway. Japan's making it hard on me with how good DMC5 n 2make are, but a few things at medium and I still get my game at my native res at a clean 60 as a worse case scenario.