NSA push to infiltrate online games inc XBL and WoW

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2438 posts) -

To the National Security Agency analyst writing a briefing to his superiors, the situation was clear: their current surveillance efforts were lacking something. The agency's impressive arsenal of cable taps and sophisticated hacking attacks was not enough. What it really needed was a horde of undercover Orcs.

That vision of spycraft sparked a concerted drive by the NSA and its UK sister agency GCHQto infiltrate the massive communities playing online games, according to secret documents disclosed by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The files were obtained by the Guardian and are being published on Monday in partnership with the New York Times and ProPublica.

World of Warcraft: the NSA described games communities as a 'target-rich network' where potential terrorists could 'hide in plain sight'.
World of Warcraft: the NSA described games communities as a 'target-rich network' where potential terrorists could 'hide in plain sight'.

The agencies, the documents show, have built mass-collection capabilities against the Xbox Live console network, which boasts more than 48 million players. Real-life agents have been deployed into virtual realms, from those Orc hordes in World of Warcraft to the human avatars of Second Life. There were attempts, too, to recruit potential informants from the games' tech-friendly users.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

LINK TO DOCUMENT

Examiner Update:

We contacted Microsoft for a statement regarding this accusation and received the following statement in return.

"We’re not aware of any surveillance activity" a Microsoft spokesperson responded. "If it has occurred as reported, it certainly wasn’t done with our consent."

A Blizzard Entertainment made a similar comment about World of Warcraft.

"We are unaware of any surveillance taking place," said a spokesman for Blizzard Entertainment. "If it was, it would have been done without our knowledge or permission."

SOURCE

EG: Microsoft buffs up security following privacy concerns

Lets you see a detailed history of your account activity.

Following concerns that government agents can listen in on Xbox Live and other game communication channels, Microsoft has issued a new security measure to bring its users peace of mind.

"Our goal with this new experience is to give you peace of mind when everything is going well, and give you actionable information if there's questionable activity that concerns you," Microsoft noted on its official blog.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#3 Posted by hiphops_savior (8444 posts) -

One of these days, Assassin's Creed is going talk about how Templars used NSA to control the population.

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (4948 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

You can thank George W Bush, his "Patriot" act, and the idiots who voted for him for all of this.

obama signed an extension of the patriot act

#5 Edited by KungfuKitten (25071 posts) -

Oh no they will find out we made a killswitch to cut off the USA from the internet. :o

Seriously why aren't they doing this publicly? No need to be all sneaky about it when everyone is going to find out in a worse way.
We could make NSA accounts and sell each others information. Heck I already have an NWO account.

If any sexy secret NSA spy, female cute around 25 and please be intelligent, is reading this and wants to have sex with me please get in touch ;)
xoxox

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

What about the pedophiles? You know, the whole, young kids in one place, it might (might) just attract them. I guess the NSA will just ignore them? Even though there is probably hundreds and thousands of them in comparison.

#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

You can thank George W Bush, his "Patriot" act, and the idiots who voted for him for all of this.

By "idiots" you mean victims of 911? Unless you have something sinister to hide, you really have nothing to worry about. "but mah rights". Guess what matey, on this forum they can track your IP if they want, you had better leave.

#8 Edited by KungfuKitten (25071 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

By "idiots" you mean victims of 911? Unless you have something sinister to hide, you really have nothing to worry about. "but mah rights". Guess what matey, on this forum they can track your IP if they want, you had better leave.

The question is of course not whether you have something to hide but whether they have any business looking into your butthole. And I bet the victims of 911 would love to be remembered as the deaths responsible for the downfall of our sense of privacy and with it our sense of security.

It's a necessity so we'll just have to deal with it. He's right to be pissed tho.

#9 Posted by Flubbbs (4948 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

if you actually believe you have nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong then you are incredibly naive.

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

The question is of course not whether you have something to hide but whether they have any business looking into your butthole

It's amazing how people just seem to wholly ignore the threat for "ma rights".
Someone might listen in on you. So fucking what? The nutjobs being countered would have your fucking head removed on a whim. And even with all the money, all the surveillance all the politics and undercover shit, actually stopping one of hundreds of thousands of warped assholes from targeting the civilian population (because these people are too medieval and weak to actually fight the military) is probably incredibility difficult, like a needle in a haystack.

#11 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

Well, they need information but it doesn't effect us in any way, unless you have those ill intentions. People make news out of nothing.

#12 Posted by lhughey (4559 posts) -

The NSA has infiltrated PSN and Steam too. Not to mention any other network of social communication.

#13 Edited by Shewgenja (19517 posts) -

In order to protect freedom, you need to shit all over it.

#14 Edited by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

Yeah we all know these terrorists play Wow...

#15 Posted by l34052 (3777 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

Its people like yourself that keep the dam thing runnin, naively claiming it doesnt matter we're all being spied on and that you '...have nothin to hide'.

#16 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

WHy? wtf is the point of all this?

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

Its people like yourself that keep the dam thing runnin,

Good. I like I being safe. Saving your sorry ass as well, you should be thanking me.

#18 Posted by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

Good. I like I being safe. Saving your sorry ass as well, you should be thanking me.

'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety' - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

Online gaming is essential liberty? Don't Microsoft and Sony both keeps data in their records?

#20 Posted by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

Online gaming is essential liberty? Don't Microsoft and Sony both keeps data in their records?

I'm responding to uninspiredcup's obvious ability to give up everything as long as he's all safe and sound.

#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (11579 posts) -

I do not relish the thought of the NSA watching me jerkin my gerkin. It'd be such a pickle I'd probably just dill myself.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (57942 posts) -

Well Ms is already in bed with the NSA, so not a far stretch for that to happen .

#24 Posted by Maroxad (14692 posts) -

This sucks, but I really wouldn't point the blame finger on anyone but ourselves.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety' - Benjamin Franklin

If you feel that way why don't you piss off over to Afghanistan and start quoting that shit to the Taliban. See what happens.

#26 Edited by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

If you feel that way why don't you piss off over to Afghanistan and start quoting that shit to the Taliban. See what happens.

Hurr Durr leave muh 'murica.....

I'm sorry you hate your privacy so much. I'm sorry that you fail to realize that at the pace were going right now, in a little over 20 years, we'll have secret police walking around the streets, making sure folks aren't spouting off about the government. All in the name of security.

#27 Edited by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

I'm sorry you hate your privacy so much. I'm sorry that you fail to realize that at the pace were going right now, in a little over 20 years, we'll have secret police walking around the streets, making sure folks aren't spouting off about the government. All in the name of security.

I like privacy, I also don't like getting blown up in a shopping center.

My theory (and this is just a theory) is that people like who, who like to try quote shit and blag on about yer freedoms, have become so comfy and well protected and all this shit seems so distant to you, that you actually don't have a grasp of reality.

#28 Edited by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@plageus900 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@l34052 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@farrell2k said:

I like privacy, I also don't like getting blown up in a shopping center.

My theory (and this is just a theory) is that people like who, who like to try quote shit and blag on about yer freedoms, have become so comfy and well protected and all this shit seems so distant to you, that you actually don't have a grasp of reality.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. I was deployed to the middle-east. I see what the people there go through. I've see then violence, I've seen the oppression. But just because that's how it is, doesn't make it right. And just because the people there have it harder than we do in America, doesn't mean we should sit back and let it happen to us. No matter how miniscule. Because every little chip at the tree of liberty is just going to add up to a giant shit-storm years down the road.

#29 Edited by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

Whats the smell? Oh, it's bullshit.

#30 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

lol teabaggers ruined this thread

#31 Posted by lamprey263 (35008 posts) -

so, they're basically going to recruit informants, I'm not too worried about that

#32 Posted by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

You sound like a child.

#33 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2466 posts) -

Why bother when MS give all information willingly or sell it to company?

#34 Posted by stuff238 (2782 posts) -

Don't worry guys. According to MGS4, Solid Snake defeats the Patriots in 2014. So no more NSA sometime next year! :)

#35 Edited by fend_oblivion (6732 posts) -

To the National Security Agencytheir current surveillance efforts were lacking something. What it really needed was a horde of undercover Orcs.

^ lol

Seriously, the NSA is better off investing their resources else where. I can only imagine that some of the users from the-site-that-shall-not-be-named will troll the NSA senseless.

#36 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

stop sniffing your own mouth

#37 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8068 posts) -

You know PSN is next now everyone has a mic, it's just a matter of time.

Bad guys are winning if we have to lose freedom of privacy. It's so sad.

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Lets face it, most of the people on this gaming networks are whiny children who watch anime. if anything, listening to these little fuckwits is probably more painful than stepping on an IED.

#39 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8068 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Lets face it, most of the people on this gaming networks are whiny children who watch anime. if anything, listening to these little fuckwits is probably more painful than stepping on an IED.

lol, have to agree, I think i'd only use the chat thing with people on my friends list, can't listen to random people talk shit all day.

#40 Posted by Butcer2 (75 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: its disgusting to see people here actually denouncing human rights,

#41 Posted by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

@uninspiredcup: its disgusting to see people here actually denouncing human rights,

Go on liveleak and see what happens after someone is blown up in a crowded area. Then whine about "ma rights".

You have no idea what disgusting is, sonny.

#42 Edited by Butcer2 (75 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: says the guy who thinks human rights are a joke, and ive seen many videos of real gore including bombings, and such videos do not change my view that human rights are a neccisity unlike a extreme rightwing nutjob like you who thinks human rights are a joke

#43 Posted by uninspiredcup (26103 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

@uninspiredcup: says the guy who thinks human rights

Human rights aren't a joke. However, it has different degree's and repercussion. The Taliban idea is to tie you to car and drag your body naked on a stoney road for miles or use a hot iron pressed against your skin until it melts.

The NSA's is to simply listen in in order to stop you being dead. It's really that simple. But hey, little teeny bops who go to uni and can quote Wikipedia need dem rights.

#44 Posted by Butcer2 (75 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Butcer2 said:

@uninspiredcup: says the guy who thinks human rights

Human rights aren't a joke. However, it has different degree's and repercussion. The Taliban idea is to tie you to car and drag your body naked on a stoney road for miles or use a hot iron pressed against your skin until it melts.

The NSA's is to simply listen in in order to stop you being dead. It's really that simple. But hey, little teeny bops who go to uni and can quote Wikipedia need dem rights.

im 26