NPD January 2013 - Holy f*cking sh*t Wii U at 57K lol - Vita around 35K

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by getyeryayasout (11448 posts) -
[QUOTE="getyeryayasout"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Not really, Nintendo franchises really are not the heavy hitters they used to be.fernandmondego_
Big hitters are still big hitters. I don't think WiiU will do Wii numbers, but I don't expect it to tank either. Besides, who knows when they might pull the next Wii Sports or Pokemon out of their asses. I just think it unwise to bet against the company that defined home video games as we know them.

It's the same games that did nothing for the GC.

True enough, I loved my GC but it was the last Ninty console I've purchased. Even so, I don't want WiiU to fail to the pont of extinction, I sleep better at night knowing Nintendo is out there keeping things real.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
#252 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="getyeryayasout"]Big hitters are still big hitters. I don't think WiiU will do Wii numbers, but I don't expect it to tank either. Besides, who knows when they might pull the next Wii Sports or Pokemon out of their asses. I just think it unwise to bet against the company that defined home video games as we know them.getyeryayasout
It's the same games that did nothing for the GC.

True enough, I loved my GC but it was the last Ninty console I've purchased. Even so, I don't want WiiU to fail to the pont of extinction, I sleep better at night knowing Nintendo is out there keeping things real.

Keeping things real?
#253 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

All this gamecube talk...
Are you Wii fans wishing the Wii:U turns into a Gamecube.
I dont think its going to happen due to....

Tablets, Apple, Smartphone gaming. It did not occur back then and its occuring now. The casual market is shifting.
Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, will sell because fans want them and so do the younger audience.

Whats more casual than Wii Sports and Wii Play? The iPad with angry birds and such.

Tablets and Smartphones are on the increase, and should not be ignored.

ipad-gamemain-420x0.jpg

and not to mention indie games too..

kY1xJxkjB7mpUbiOir1GuYc9N87JlSz1kLyc_zAt

#254 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35516 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Wii U shouldn't be another GameCube. That's the last thing Nintendo needs.

nintendoboy16

Is it? Can't say I've checked Nintendo's sales, but I would imagine Nintendo still has a ton of bank and that the 3DS is only adding to it.

Either way, they still don't need a gen where the handhelds keep them afloat when the console sales are bad. Especially when said consoles are the laughing stock of that generation (something GameCube was, it had it worse than the Dreamcast).

The Wii had amazing sales and was still a "laughing stock" to many. Nintendo-haters gonna Nintendo-hate.

#255 Posted by Duckyindiana (2290 posts) -
Pathetic country themajormayor
Pathetic post by you no change there then!
#256 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8465 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="getyeryayasout"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] It's the same games that did nothing for the GC.

Keeping things real?

trying to pass off last gen hardware as next gen?
#257 Posted by ncs115 (25 posts) -
Ask and you shall receive.... PS3 passed 360 a while back buddy http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come
#258 Posted by ncs115 (25 posts) -

Ask and you shall receive....

PS3 passed the 360 months ago buddy.

www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come

#259 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29569 posts) -

All this gamecube talk...
Are you Wii fans wishing the Wii:U turns into a Gamecube.
I dont think its going to happen due to....

Tablets, Apple, Smartphone gaming. It did not occur back then and its occuring now. The casual market is shifting.
Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, will sell because fans want them and so do the younger audience.

Whats more casual than Wii Sports and Wii Play? The iPad with angry birds and such.

Tablets and Smartphones are on the increase, and should not be ignored.

and not to mention indie games too..

g0ddyX

as for indie games, The WiiU has a bright future for them as I hear their Digital space is somewhat similar to Steam's.

I would love to see something like Amnesia or Slender on there or games like Dear Esther or even Machiniarium.

would be cool if they ported all of the Wiiware games to eShop like Cave Story or La Mulana.

Also WiiU is set up to be the Next Gamecube, because it sold the least, but it had some incredible games.

If you want Casual System of the Gamecube era, you should look at the PS2.

#260 Posted by ncs115 (25 posts) -
[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]Actually I find it rather shocking they still increase year to year sales. A 7+ year old console and probably the next console being launched this year but yet they are still able to increase.WeepsForFools

I guess MS is really good at marketing and making everyone believe a 7 year console is still relevant. Good for them. Wonder if this will help MS get out of 3rd place.

Yeah show the links where ps3 is over 76+ million. I'll wait.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come
#261 Posted by ncs115 (25 posts) -
[QUOTE="WeepsForFools"][QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

I guess MS is really good at marketing and making everyone believe a 7 year console is still relevant. Good for them. Wonder if this will help MS get out of 3rd place.

ncs115

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-09-idc-game-consoles-discs-to-remain-revenue-mainstays-for-years-to-come

There you go buddy
#262 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

Kind of what I'm feeling. I think the Wii U will end up being another Gamecube; probably perform worse in sales and likely software compared to PS4 and Xbox720 due to lack of third party, but Nintendo will manage in the end, and the Wii U will muster up a worthwhile amount of gems.

DJ-Lafleur

Wii U shouldn't be another GameCube. That's the last thing Nintendo needs.

Is it? Can't say I've checked Nintendo's sales, but I would imagine Nintendo still has a ton of bank and that the 3DS is only adding to it.

Wouldn't be good for their stock

#263 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8232 posts) -
[QUOTE="WeepsForFools"][QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

ncs115

That is a report from a company not connected to Microsoft or Sony on what they think will happen.
#265 Posted by McSkombi (842 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"] ..so why isn't the PS3 dominating.. :lol: spiderluck

Please, it's the same country that had this guy run it for eight years..

lol

You've revoked any right you have to claim you have taste or discernment.

And which azikstan are you from

So you're offending someone because he's from a country ending with "stan"? Very strong dude... very strong....
#266 Posted by Cubs360 (3771 posts) -

Thats what we call 360 Domination! Go America! I like to see American companies leading in the American market.

#267 Posted by Spardabx (308 posts) -

It's rather sad as Wii U had a good start. Now, like after Super Smash Bros Brawl for Wii, it's very slow and nothing picking up. Even others got third party games to sell. They really need to show us that there is a game for these people in Q2. Q4 will be telling everyone, "Slowly but surely" but that's like year 1 of PS3. I hope for the best before I do think they should abandon console as Sony should do so to handheld.

#268 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9788 posts) -

when the games come ,   the sales will , right now there are no games for the majority ,  

once mariokart zelda mario3d etc start hitting its going to be a 360 degree turn around oh and ps4 720 will pull the same numbers wiiu is doing now why because they will be more expensive and will not have a library built   and with recent rumors they may make that one mistake and vita only sold 30 k  and has been out longer , supposed to have its killer aps ,, oh nintendo still sold alot of 3dses and some dses and wiis  numbers are not looking so bad combined haha

mariokart64fan
Sooo... Just wait? :lol:
#269 Posted by TheEroica (17224 posts) -

Thats what we call 360 Domination! Go America! I like to see American companies leading in the American market.

Cubs360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
#270 Posted by deactivated-585ea4b128526 (612 posts) -
The problem isnt just the US, Japan has only been averaging around 12,000 per week since the second week of January, and Europe has been non existent. Nintendo needs to do a price cut immediately, and a worldwide marketing blitz, or retailers will simply clearance them and cancel future orders. Also the wiiu's on the shelf during the holiday season, turns out it was real and a sign of a major problem.
#271 Posted by dvalo9 (1301 posts) -
the 360 and Cod go hand in hand, BLOPS2 was almost advertised as a 360 exclusive, kids (around10) are getting older and are getting games consoles now Cod on xbox is what the kids before them got and the circle continues it's pretty good marketing from MS. the 360 tends to sell less in countries where COD isn't as popular.
#272 Posted by sts106mat (24167 posts) -
the 360 and Cod go hand in hand, BLOPS2 was almost advertised as a 360 exclusive, kids (around10) are getting older and are getting games consoles now Cod on xbox is what the kids before them got and the circle continues it's pretty good marketing from MS. the 360 tends to sell less in countries where COD isn't as popular.dvalo9
pretty sure COD is the most played game on PSN. minecraft overtook cod recently and is currently 2nd most played game on live. try again.
#273 Posted by OhSnapitz (19260 posts) -
[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="Shewgenja"]

Please, it's the same country that had this guy run it for eight years..

lol

You've revoked any right you have to claim you have taste or discernment.

McSkombi
And which azikstan are you from

So you're offending someone because he's from a country ending with "stan"? Very strong dude... very strong....

..but its ok for him to offend a country.. :roll:
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#274 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30823 posts) -
Hey MS, take a look at the WiiU numbers and take a long hard think about the choices you're thinking of making next gen ...
#275 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

Not surprising. Consoles with a large library sell the most. If Nintendo wasn't making a ton of profit with the Wii U they would have something to worry about...but they are. When the games start rolling in you'll see an increase.

#276 Posted by RR360DD (13654 posts) -
The problem isnt just the US, Japan has only been averaging around 12,000 per week since the second week of January, and Europe has been non existent. Nintendo needs to do a price cut immediately, and a worldwide marketing blitz, or retailers will simply clearance them and cancel future orders. Also the wiiu's on the shelf during the holiday season, turns out it was real and a sign of a major problem.joehult
Argos in the UK has already been selling Wii Us at their clearance stores lol. But yeah, most UK retailers have asked nintendo for a price cut, I definitely think its needed.
#277 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33483 posts) -
[QUOTE="joehult"]The problem isnt just the US, Japan has only been averaging around 12,000 per week since the second week of January, and Europe has been non existent. Nintendo needs to do a price cut immediately, and a worldwide marketing blitz, or retailers will simply clearance them and cancel future orders. Also the wiiu's on the shelf during the holiday season, turns out it was real and a sign of a major problem.RR360DD
Argos in the UK has already been selling Wii Us at their clearance stores lol. But yeah, most UK retailers have asked nintendo for a price cut, I definitely think its needed.

With the losses they are taking already, it won't happen. Nintendo's REALLY in a pinch there.
#278 Posted by Thefatness16 (4673 posts) -

Wii U 57K confirmed

#279 Posted by StormyJoe (7544 posts) -

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]

Xbox 360> competition (as usual) :cool:

Speedzilla

North America loves last place consoles.

I didn't see PS3 numbers. Where are they?

#280 Posted by Blue_Shield (2610 posts) -

Not surprising.

First, they shot themselves in the foot by name. Not only did they name the console after a fade that had long since been over, but that same name lead to a ton of market confusion, where many people still think the tablet controller is a accessory to the Wii.

Second, they go from starting the motion control trend with Wii, to the Wii U gamepad coming across like a cheap knockoff tablet you would see at Toysrus, and yet, it's more expensive than many of the real tablets on the market.

Third, they go from having a very simple controller anybody could use , to having a complicated controller that only traditional/hardcore gamers can use, many of which, find it unappealing.

Fourth, did not help matters when the flagship launch game, New Super Mario Bros. U, launched only a few month after the release of the 3DS entry. 

... And hey, I like Nintendo. However, like Sony with the Vita, many of these mistakes they should have seen going in.

#281 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

Hey MS, take a look at the WiiU numbers and take a long hard think about the choices you're thinking of making next gen ...blue_hazy_basic

Who should MS be looking at when designing a handheld?

#282 Posted by Vatusus (7852 posts) -

Cubs360

360 is only selling in america because is american confirmed ^^^

And then they come talk about japanese consoles selling better in japan, calling japanese xenophobic...

#283 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30823 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]Hey MS, take a look at the WiiU numbers and take a long hard think about the choices you're thinking of making next gen ...SuperFlakeman

Who should MS be looking at when designing a handheld?

probably not the zune guys i'm guessing, or their phone people, ,or the people who did that bizarre social networking device, or the ones who did their tablet .....
#284 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30823 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cubs360"]

Vatusus

And then they come talk about japanese consoles selling better in japan, calling japanese xenophobic...

You mean the US where a Japanese console has been the highest selling console every gen, where this gen they've outsold the American console 2:1. Please do tell how that compares to Japanese sales? :roll:
#285 Posted by OhSnapitz (19260 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cubs360"]

Vatusus

The problem with that logic is that the PS3 sells well EVERYWHERE( maybe not #1, but still great numbers)... and the 360 sells like complete dog sh!t in japan..
#286 Posted by sts106mat (24167 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Cubs360"]

blue_hazy_basic

You mean the US where a Japanese console has been the highest selling console every gen, where this gen they've outsold the American console 2:1. Please do tell how that compares to Japanese sales? :roll:

lol, haha ha, omg.
#287 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

57k in sales is what you would expect from the PS2.  

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#288 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

People are waiting for the holidays to pick up a Wii U and so am I.  No Pikmin 3, no 3d mario, no Retro, no nothing. 

#289 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

I'm just wondering how MS was able to increases YOY sales.  It just absolutely makes no sense for them to release a new console with sales doing so well.

#290 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -
And yet that freezer you live in could not survive without help from others and your tool is always up a piece of a Japanese man's software. So take your third world BS somewhere else. PS3 or not, you are at the bottom of the food chain.
#291 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

To put it into context, if you combine Wii U and Vita sales, they would still be awful.  

Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
#292 Posted by Sir-I_exCalibur (724 posts) -
Alot of RRODs, guess people turned on the 360s for christmas, and got new ones for the new year.
#293 Posted by Blue_Shield (2610 posts) -

To put it into context, if you combine Wii U and Vita sales, they would still be awful.Fizzman
Pretty much.

Vita is one or two steps away from being the Saturn.

Nintendo had better wake up with the Wii U.

#294 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

Poor Wii-U. 

Poor Vita.

At least Nintendo can still eke out a decent market if they get their sh!t together in the next few months. The Vita, though... Man.

Obligatory old link for anyone who wants a good laugh at the Vita and IGN.

#295 Posted by Cubs360 (3771 posts) -
[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Cubs360"]

OhSnapitz

The problem with that logic is that the PS3 sells well EVERYWHERE( maybe not #1, but still great numbers)... and the 360 sells like complete dog sh!t in japan..

That's because Japan has been in a economic slump for 20 plus years. They only buy Japan products because it helps with their economy. Which makes sense.
#296 Posted by cainetao11 (32420 posts) -
That's un called for. You don't like MS, we get it. But pathetic is insulting people because who don't share your devotion to Sony.
#297 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

This is how things work with casuals. They don't care about the latest tech, they care about gimmicks, fads, what's trending, etc. Casuals are perfectly fine with using their old Wii for the next 10-15 years. They're reluctant on spending money on stuff they don't really care much for. Look at the abysmal software sales on the Wii for measure.percech

So by this logic, the nextbox is dead on arriaval !

#298 Posted by Blue_Shield (2610 posts) -

Poor Wii-U. 

Poor Vita.

At least Nintendo can still eke out a decent market if they get their sh!t together in the next few months. The Vita, though... Man.

DarkLink77

Of course, some will say hindsight is 20/20.

Except, it was'nt. More like foresight was 20/20.

There were people, even before launch, saying Vita might be in trouble, because of the change in the mobile market, and Sony was making the same mistakes with the Vita that they had with the PSP.

#299 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Poor Wii-U. 

Poor Vita.

Blue_Shield

Of course, some will say hindsight is 20/20.

Except, it was'nt. More like foresight was 20/20.

There were people, even before launch, saying Vita might be in trouble, because of the change in the mobile market, and Sony was making the same mistakes with the Vita that they had with the PSP.

I was one of the people saying it. They didn't learn. It was blatantly obvious that they didn't learn, even pre-release. It was even more obvious post-launch.

But everyone was like, "No no no please! This time is gonna be different. This time, they'll beat Nintendo at their own game! This time, it'll work!"

Yeah... not so much.

#300 Posted by StormyJoe (7544 posts) -

Where you come from? Sorry to hear that. Here in the USA, we enjoy the status as the only global superpower. You know, the country that can shape the rest of the world through political, economic, or military means.

It's awesome here; you'd be welcome.