Now that you've played it for awhile, rate Octopath Traveler.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Now that you've played it for awhile, rate Octopath Traveler. (49 votes)

10 14%
9 29%
8 22%
7 8%
6 2%
5 2%
4 4%
3 0%
2 2%
1, you don't like gaming 12%

Where does it sit with everyone?

• 
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

4/10

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I really want to play this game but I don't have a switch yet it looks like 9/10 from everything ive seen and heard from the game

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

Having a great time with the game. Not sure how far I am in the game but I have finished all eight character’s chapter ones and one of the character’s chapter 2. The game has great combat mechanics, excellent music, and I really dig the graphics. I like the different story segments for each character. My only minor complaint right now would be that I wish for a main storyline and central antagonist to kind of tie all this together although this may change as I get further into the game so we’ll see. Right now I’d rate this a 9.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I’m not playing it at all. While it has a great aesthetic and very well-executed mechanics, the structure, the lack of a core narrative, robs me of any interest. My major problem is that I just don’t care at all for the characters; from what I’ve played so far they’re as shallow as puddles and are only there as an excuse to play the game. And while it is very well designed, that’s not enough motivation to retain my interest.

FF VI had strong writing driving not only a main narrative arc but also the characters that existed in it, and they remain some of the most memorable in gaming to this day. Kefka, Locke, Sabin, Edgar, Cyan, Celes, Terra, Shadow, and who can forget Gau? Gau Gau Gau!!! Meeting Gau still cracks me up even years later. All the characters in VI were endearing in some way or another. Not here, they’re generic placeholders.

It’s really too bad, as OT has so much potential but frankly feels like a shell of a game and exemplifies the importance of writing for an enjoyable role playing experience. Imagine Planescape Torment without it.

I’d give it a 7 at best, and that’s being generous.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

From the 3 hour demo anyway, I give it a 9/10.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts

8/10. I haven't played much of it, but I'm loving it so far. I love the combat, graphics and voice acting.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Love this game..9/10 from me...poor Cyrus..got into the "Notice me senpai" situation...by some stupid girl...yet he's still so nice abt it..he shouldn't have been though. :P

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

A lil too much dialogue to be a 10.... but everything else strikes a chord with me. Something zen about picking a path at the next fork and seeing what the road lies ahead.

I voted 9... great game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

so far i would give it an 8. overall enjoying it.

the combat is fun....one of my fav takes on turn based combat. its like a little puzzle to see who to knock out and when to minimise their ability to attack while maximising your own.

it looks lovely. its a very interesting way to show the old 16 bit style. its like someone made a set out of cardboard then put it on the sand/snow/over a river.

nice soundtrack too.

im not making any judgements on the story yet. i have done all the chapter ones and a couple of chapter 2s. its all a bit disjointed but i think there have been a couple of hints that there is crossover later on in the game. i'm only speculating though. so far its a bit predictable and cookie cutter on the story front though.

the characters are also not that interesting so far and some of the writing is....well...not great. the other thing, so far, is the lack of camaraderie amongst the party members. again maybe this will improve as the chapters unfold. but the characters seem pretty separate at the moment even though they travel together.

the other thing is the grinding and with 8 characters. they need to be levelled so that their story can progress and it takes time. its not the worst grinding but still.....i dont like grinding.maybe they should have had fewer characters.

side quests also seem pretty meh but i havent really tried many of them in fairness.

overall though im enjoying it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I couldn't even finish the demo. The voice acting is meh and there's so much text.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@osan0 said:

so far i would give it an 8. overall enjoying it.

the combat is fun....one of my fav takes on turn based combat. its like a little puzzle to see who to knock out and when to minimise their ability to attack while maximising your own.

it looks lovely. its a very interesting way to show the old 16 bit style. its like someone made a set out of cardboard then put it on the sand/snow/over a river.

nice soundtrack too.

im not making any judgements on the story yet. i have done all the chapter ones and a couple of chapter 2s. its all a bit disjointed but i think there have been a couple of hints that there is crossover later on in the game. i'm only speculating though. so far its a bit predictable and cookie cutter on the story front though.

the characters are also not that interesting so far and some of the writing is....well...not great. the other thing, so far, is the lack of camaraderie amongst the party members. again maybe this will improve as the chapters unfold. but the characters seem pretty separate at the moment even though they travel together.

the other thing is the grinding and with 8 characters. they need to be levelled so that their story can progress and it takes time. its not the worst grinding but still.....i dont like grinding.maybe they should have had fewer characters.

side quests also seem pretty meh but i havent really tried many of them in fairness.

overall though im enjoying it.

TRIO path traveler just isn't as catchy.

Also, I love how they never got more creative with the title. The tentative title became the main title.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I have not played the game, and it does not particularly interest me. The hype behind this game might just be one of those things I will never understand.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I rated it a 9 and it’s an awsome game.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

65 hours in and still going. 10/10 from me. Best RPG I have played since Xenogears.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

65 hours in and still going. 10/10 from me. Best RPG I have played since Xenogears.

*high five*

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Witcher 3 is way better.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@n64dd said:
@mojito1988 said:

*high five*

Lol weebos.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I would say it ranks around 7.5/10

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

30 hours in, 8/10.

Stories are rather basic-bitch and dull.

Leveling all the characters and going through character's stories I don't care about makes it feel like abit of a grind.

But good overall.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

60ish hours in, up to the final boss. I'll give it an 8/10.

I've been thoroughly hooked the whole time so far - it's probably the best RPG that Square Enix has produced in a very long time. Still, there are a couple of mis-steps, particularly around the final dungeon (good luck finding it without a walkthrough guide, for starters) that hold it back a little.

Still, I'd highly recommend it to any RPG fan.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14891 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I’m not playing it at all. While it has a great aesthetic and very well-executed mechanics, the structure, the lack of a core narrative, robs me of any interest. My major problem is that I just don’t care at all for the characters; from what I’ve played so far they’re as shallow as puddles and are only there as an excuse to play the game. And while it is very well designed, that’s not enough motivation to retain my interest.

FF VI had strong writing driving not only a main narrative arc but also the characters that existed in it, and they remain some of the most memorable in gaming to this day. Kefka, Locke, Sabin, Edgar, Cyan, Celes, Terra, Shadow, and who can forget Gau? Gau Gau Gau!!! Meeting Gau still cracks me up even years later. All the characters in VI were endearing in some way or another. Not here, they’re generic placeholders.

It’s really too bad, as OT has so much potential but frankly feels like a shell of a game and exemplifies the importance of writing for an enjoyable role playing experience. Imagine Planescape Torment without it.

I’d give it a 7 at best, and that’s being generous.

Here is the thing.........the game does have a core narrative and all stories fall into it. here you are, making a rushed uninformed early judgement.

Ophilia and Alfyn are as great as those FFVI characters.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Gonna wait until Black Friday of Boxing Day to pick this up. The demo was great though (even if fairly limited). Won't vote since I don't own it yet.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Hey, how come that poll only adds up to 95%?

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

A couple hours in. I give it a 7.

The combat is interesting and good and the individual stories aren't as bad as everyone is calling them out to be. The world map and radar thing is kind of meh and the grind is real

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Planeforger

@texasgoldrush: It does have a wider plot, but you'll only see hints of it in the first 50ish hours, and it's clunkily told in the final hours of the game. It's certainly not the game's strongest element.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 texasgoldrush

@Planeforger said:

@texasgoldrush: It does have a wider plot, but you'll only see hints of it in the first 50ish hours, and it's clunkily told in the final hours of the game. It's certainly not the game's strongest element.

Its not clunkily told, you just have to pay attention.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

8/10 so far. The problem is, I just don't like playing as some of the characters. Tressa, for an example, is so weak right now, I don't even use her to attack. All she does for me is steal money. Never really cared for her storyline either.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 texasgoldrush

@JustPlainLucas said:

8/10 so far. The problem is, I just don't like playing as some of the characters. Tressa, for an example, is so weak right now, I don't even use her to attack. All she does for me is steal money. Never really cared for her storyline either.

Tressa is a good support character, her Donate BP is one of the best moves of the game. Tressa's story gets good in Ch3.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 texasgoldrush

@hayato_ said:

A couple hours in. I give it a 7.

The combat is interesting and good and the individual stories aren't as bad as everyone is calling them out to be. The world map and radar thing is kind of meh and the grind is real

The grind isn't bad, at least of XP. Late game though, its there, but for doing all the character stories, it isn't a problem.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JustPlainLucas

@texasgoldrush said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Tressa is a good support character, her Donate BP is one of the best moves of the game. Tressa's story gets good in Ch3.

I guess I can see that. Instead of using her turn to attack, she could give a BP to someone really powerful so they could get an extra attack in. I got Tressa last, and I'm glad I did, because I'd hate to think of the game would be like if I started out with her. Glad to hear her story gets better. It just seemed so tame and generic in comparison to the others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I dont like gaming.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts

Better than any PS4 exclusive not named Bloodborne so that would put it around an 8

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N64DD

@Gamerno6666 said:

I dont like gaming.

*hugs*

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 texasgoldrush

@JustPlainLucas said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I guess I can see that. Instead of using her turn to attack, she could give a BP to someone really powerful so they could get an extra attack in. I got Tressa last, and I'm glad I did, because I'd hate to think of the game would be like if I started out with her. Glad to hear her story gets better. It just seemed so tame and generic in comparison to the others.

Tressa also has Sidestep, which is incredibly powerful fighting certain bosses. Also her story develops her support characters, especially Leon.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Tressa also has Sidestep, which is incredibly powerful fighting certain bosses. Also her story develops her support characters, especially Leon.

Get hired help with her. The first attack (150 gold) is weak, but gives the entire team a defense boost. This is very useful if you use it with a few BP cause the boost last for a lot of turns.

dorkmeister579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dorkmeister579
Member since 2018 • 37 Posts

@needhealing said:

Witcher 3 is way better.

Nobody was comparing it to the Witcher 3... this thread was just asking for people to rate this game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JustPlainLucas

@mojito1988 said:

Get hired help with her. The first attack (150 gold) is weak, but gives the entire team a defense boost. This is very useful if you use it with a few BP cause the boost last for a lot of turns.

Yeah, I got that one. I think I might only be using that because I'm struggling with money right now and the rest of the moves are pretty damn expensive.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22630 Posts

9 out of 10.... Super inviting jrpg mechanics, fun exploration and use of secondary abilities in towns to solve some side questing... Im 30 hours in with all characters and now doing next tier missions...

The writing is ok I guess.... Nothing offensive, but nothing overly memorable. The next iteration of the franchise should make an effort to make characters relevant to one another.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By texasgoldrush

@TheEroica said:

9 out of 10.... Super inviting jrpg mechanics, fun exploration and use of secondary abilities in towns to solve some side questing... Im 30 hours in with all characters and now doing next tier missions...

The writing is ok I guess.... Nothing offensive, but nothing overly memorable. The next iteration of the franchise should make an effort to make characters relevant to one another.

The characters are relevant to one another in more subtle ways. They admire eachothers resolve, thats why they party together.

The writing is great, it emphasizes theme and character over twisty plots, even if it does have the latter.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 N64DD
@TheEroica said:

I agree. This game is a home run, I hope they improve.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Planeforger

@texasgoldrush said:
@Planeforger said:

Its not clunkily told, you just have to pay attention.

@texasgoldrush: I was paying attention, and the storytelling was still clunky.

I picked up on all of the tiny hints throughout the game of the wider plot...but that's all they are. Every character's chapters 1-4 run completely parallel to each other, with the only connection being a name or a place. Some character's stories barely even have hints that they're connected to the others (particularly H'aanit).

Once all of the stories are done, the final dungeon dumps 20 pages of text on you explaining how it all fits together. It's clunky as hell - why not reveal this in portions throughout the scenes in the game, rather than dry exposition in the epilogue?

The same could be said for the chapters themselves though. They often went for really weak plot twists (like the super obvious headmaster's assistant in Cyrus' chapter 1, or Simeon in Prim's story), or unconnected last-minute villains (like the cultists pickpocket in the final bit of Tressa's story, or Werner in Oliric's story). There were a couple of well-tpld ideas in there, but there were more mis-steps than successes.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 texasgoldrush

@Planeforger:

First, the decided to make the character stories the main focus and the main plot the secondary focus. Its not really clunky, signs are everywhere connecting the stories together and Ophilia's story basically bookends the game. The text in the finale just finish off what they couldn't show. Next, the "weak plot twists" aren't the focus of the story. The themes of the character narratives are. While they are predictable, the story does do a great job mostly for why they do it. Once again, themes carry the game's story. That is where its attention is paid and that doesn't make it weak.

Also, the cultists steals Tressa's diary because its connected to the Crossford's. That's not random, its just that the arch story played a part in her personal narrative. Werner isn't a last minute villain, someone had to lead the sellswords Erhardt spied for.