BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Crossplay seems to be the new rhetoric coming out of Redmond which looks to be a sly attempt by Microsoft at syphoning some of the PS4 userbase. Or, at least a preventative measure to keep Xbox-centric gamers from feeling they have to purchase PS4s to take advantage of a larger player base for games.

Since X1X is projected to drop like an anchor after the holiday, predictably, the gears are going to be spinning to project Sony as the bad guy that prevents poor widdle Microsoft from getting a leg up in the market. Sony isn't stupid. Allowing crossplay en masse will send a lot of the Xbox fandom straight to Twitter shouting that you no longer need to buy a Playstation. MS is counting on this. Using Minecraft as a trojan horse was the attempted first step.

When it comes down to it, Sony doesn't owe the Xbox fandom anything. And the PS4 userbase seems to be fine, so why push it? This is why getting the most units of consoles out there counts.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Nah. Talk about crossplay won’t be ramping up because of last month’s sales, it’ll be ramping up because it’s something that consumers and developers would like to see. There’s already been some developers saying that it would be something that they would like to do and I expect more to say the same because it would be beneficial for their game and the community of gamers who play them. It’s something that really only makes sense and is most likely just an inevitability.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin

@Archangel3371: Do they really? I haven't remembered once at any time on the market that crossplay was pushed in the press and executives at companies like it is now. Or even gamers thinking it was important until a certain console fell behind. I feel a lot of devs bringing it up are complicit in a greater scheme.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

lol fanboy conspiracy theories are funny

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Oh yeah I think so. Crossplay wasn’t really that much of a thing until somewhat recently but now that people are starting to get it I think that it’ll only continue to grow. Consumers are becoming much more aware of it and they’ll desire it more and more. Developers will want to support it because it gives them a larger community of players to help keep their games more active across all platforms.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

This is some Alex Jones level conspiracy theory

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BenjaminBanklin

@Kaze_no_Mirai: You'll see I'm right. A lot of the crossplay talk didn't rear its head from Phil Spencer until a few months before X1X came out. Not a conspiracy, just a different kind of marketing. Big companies do this kind of astroturfing all the time.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai: You'll see I'm right. A lot of the crossplay talk didn't rear its head from Phil Spencer until a few months before X1X came out. Not a conspiracy, just a different kind of marketing. Big companies do this kind of astroturfing all the time.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: What in the name of God are you babbling about? All indications are that the X1 is selling extremely well. It’s already on par with the Switch and has beaten the PS4 pro. This is a major victory for Microsoft.

Also, Phil Spencer was talking about crossplay long before the X1 was ever announced. Sony simply refused to listen.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: you are confused man.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Man this forum is just packed full with rabid cows.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

@Archangel3371: Do they really? I haven't remembered once at any time on the market that crossplay was pushed in the press and executives at companies like it is now. Or even gamers thinking it was important until a certain console fell behind. I feel a lot of devs bringing it up are complicit in a greater scheme.

You probably don't remember shadow run...

On topic I thought they weren't expecting equal sales or anything, its a "premium product"

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Pre-emptive damage controlling, you say? Right under our very noses? :0

Well, I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for any of that then!

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BenjaminBanklin

@Starshine_M2A2: You're talking about the UK debut? The numbers were extremely frontloaded. The X1X is already off the Amazon hourly chart there. A mere month after the console's release, indicating sales sank like a stone. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames#1

MS has been super quiet about the sales for a reason. They put too much hype behind it for a mere "niche" console release. I don't think this was part of the plan.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonsieurX

@BenjaminBanklin said:

@Starshine_M2A2: You're talking about the UK debut? The numbers were extremely frontloaded. The X1X is already off the Amazon hourly chart there. A mere month after the console's release, indicating sales sank like a stone. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-PC-Video-Games/zgbs/videogames#1

MS has been super quiet about the sales for a reason. They put too much hype behind it for a mere "niche" console release. I don't think this was part of the plan.

Using amazon charts...might as well use vgchartz

lolz

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BenjaminBanklin

@MonsieurX: Why are they always correct, then? Best indicator of the console market out there.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Actually I will consider buy a x1x if it allow me to install other os..

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX

@BenjaminBanklin said:

@MonsieurX: Why are they always correct, then? Best indicator of the console market out there.

They're not always correct

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
@refreshe said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

You have no idea what you're talking about, you didn't even link to the correct Amazon listing.

It's #37 in the hourly

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames#2

It's #62 for the year

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames#4

It's #29 for the entire month of November

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-11/videogames#2

It's #32 for the 9 days we're into December

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-12/videogames#2

thats not uk....

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin

@refreshe: I was talking about the UK sales, which are the only numbers that have been reported so far, so I linked the Amazon UK charts. It's not like the US charts are much better. You'd think the brand new console they were hyping for a year and a half would at least be able to hold a top 20 spot within its first holiday. It's still being beaten by both Switches and two PS4s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@refreshe: Cool story, Nyadc.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Exposed!!!

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BenjaminBanklin

@refreshe: This gen, it's practically the ONLY territory for Xbox along with the UK. That's not really going to cut it. We got the narrative for the past year and a half that the X would be the end of the Xbox One's woes. Even MS changed their tune and tried to market the X to non-4K owners closer to launch.

Hell, even the Pro didn't disappear off the charts in the UK in the first holiday. When it did, at least it had the excuse of being out of stock. The new strategy at current from the Xbox fandom is that the X IS the Xbox One even though it's going to have a woefully low adoption rate. If MS isn't going to dump the X1X price right away, then they're going to keep talking up crossplay or try to buy PUBG. MS is looking for any win they can get now with Xbox.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm expecting a fuckload of "rumors" about the PS5 coming from the lems or them clinging on to any and every article they can find on it.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Crossplay seems to be the new rhetoric coming out of Redmond which looks to be a sly attempt by Microsoft at syphoning some of the PS4 userbase. Or, at least a preventative measure to keep Xbox-centric gamers from feeling they have to purchase PS4s to take advantage of a larger player base for games.

Since X1X is projected to drop like an anchor after the holiday, predictably, the gears are going to be spinning to project Sony as the bad guy that prevents poor widdle Microsoft from getting a leg up in the market. Sony isn't stupid. Allowing crossplay en masse will send a lot of the Xbox fandom straight to Twitter shouting that you no longer need to buy a Playstation. MS is counting on this. Using Minecraft as a trojan horse was the attempted first step.

When it comes down to it, Sony doesn't owe the Xbox fandom anything. And the PS4 userbase seems to be fine, so why push it? This is why getting the most units of consoles out there counts.

Complete and udder bullshit.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

Dang, exposed!!

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I'm expecting a fuckload of "rumors" about the PS5 coming from the lems or them clinging on to any and every article they can find on it.

Why would lemmings talk about rumours for the PS5? if anything that will be ammo for the cows as the specs will probably be insane.

You have a weird way of thinking, We don't think about SONY all day 24/7 breh, we actually game on our Xbox's

Your unhealthy obsession with lems is showing

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69426 Posts

Fanboys are so dumb sometimes. How the hell is crossplay a bad thing for gaming?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50

@Pedro said:

Fanboys are so dumb sometimes. How the hell is crossplay a bad thing for gaming?

The fact that I can play rocket league with my friends on the switch is freaking awesome.

it makes LANing a lot easier, you can bring your laptop/switch/xbox and have fun.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Just another day, just another thread on SW...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50: Dude, this is System Wars. Everyone talks about other systems here.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

I don’t think crossplay is about userbase.

It’s about PR. Push something through PR that you know your competition won’t accept. It sounds good. It’s positive PR. That or like with Minecraft on Nintendo getting people to sign up with your network. I mean, who wouldn’t want their competitors customer list? I know I’d want it.

It’s not like any sane person loads up a MP game like COD and thinks “there are only 30 million people to play with? I’m buying a PS4!”

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Microsoft talks about crossplay because they don;t have any exclusives.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: What in the name of God are you babbling about? All indications are that the X1 is selling extremely well. It’s already on par with the Switchand.........

Just say no to drugs kids....

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Starshine_M2A2

@lexxluger: Sound advice. Perhaps you should follow it.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I agree, I definitely don't want to play with all the casuals that make up the entire XBox One fanbase. They define the term non-gamers as they have no games to play.

I prefer to stick with the professional gamers on PS4 Pro, who provide a real challenge.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

It's the Xbox community that's pushing for it the most because they know it takes an advantage away from Sony. I thought things were fine in Xbox land? Aren't there enough people filling lobbies in Xbox games? They have the PC to crossover with as well. You have people that cursed the PS4 and Sony for years, now begging them to play on their network? Hahaha no. You don't get to 70 million systems by sharing all the goods. If MS had the advantage this gen, this wouldn't even come up.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I don’t care about cross play because I don’t really play online anyway. If I do play online I usually only do co op with my brothers so cross play to me is as useless as bc lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#42 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Lol syphon PS4 user base? How about just give me a reason to play online Sony? I'm paying $60/year for mp and they make jack and sh!t to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: What in the name of God are you babbling about? All indications are that the X1 is selling extremely well. It’s already on par with the Switch and has beaten the PS4 pro. This is a major victory for Microsoft.

Also, Phil Spencer was talking about crossplay long before the X1 was ever announced. Sony simply refused to listen.

Can't even sell all those Scorpio editions.

X1X is a flop, we all knew it would be.

Even MS said it wouldn't sell loads.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Then I guess the PS4 Pro is a much bigger Flop!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@rrjim1 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Then I guess the PS4 Pro is a much bigger Flop!

Never mentioned it, why bring it up?

You uncomfortable?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FLOPPAGE_50

@Shewgenja: your posts still makes no sense.

And i ask again, why would lems talk about the ps5? Chances are the specs will destroy the X1X.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

I agree, I definitely don't want to play with all the casuals that make up the entire XBox One fanbase. They define the term non-gamers as they have no games to play.

I prefer to stick with the professional gamers on PS4 Pro, who provide a real challenge.

I like this. The Pro in PS4 stands for professional while the X in XBox One X stands for how old their fanbase is.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Starshine_M2A2

@Random_Matt: He’s simply stating a fact - the X1X is outselling the PS4 Pro. Judging from your defensive response, the only one who seems uncomfortable is you.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#49 GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

You're right crossplay talk is ramping up. People don't understand Sony. The more they ask the more they don't understand Sony. I'm not sure if I care about crossplay with the Xbox One.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Well it was a futile effort against SONY anyways...