KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-nintendo-switch-and-god-of-war-ragnarok-dominate-november-uk-monthly-charts

Just over 4.3 million games were sold in the UK during November, a drop of 7.3% over the year before, according to the latest GSD figures.

One of the big reasons for this is Call of Duty. This year, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 launched in October, whereas last year the Activision Blizzard game arrived in November.

Even so, Call of Duty was still the biggest game of the month in November by a big margin. In fact, with just four weeks on sale, Modern Warfare 2 almost outsold Call of Duty: Vanguard's lifetime sales to date.

The closest rival to Call of Duty is God of War Ragnarok from Sony. It has been a massive launch for the PS5 and PS4 game. Compared to the first three weeks of its predecessor -- the 2018 God of War reboot -- sales are up 44%.

The next biggest set of releases are Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. If the two games were combined, alongside its double pack, the games would have been No.3 in the charts. As a Nintendo-published game, digital data is unavailable, so it's possible (even likely) the game would have been at No.2 if download figures were available. It is the second biggest launch for a Pokémon game in UK history, behind Pokémon Sun and Moon on 3DS.

Other key releases include Football Manager 2023 at No.6. The game's sales are down 30% compared with the launch of the 2022 edition.

Just behind it is another Sega release, Sonic Frontiers.

1.82 million of the games sold were sold via digital download stores, a drop of 10% compared with November 2021. 2.5 million games were sold via physical retail, a drop of 4% year-on-year.

Switch comes out top in competitive month

Nintendo Switch came out top during a big month for video game console sales.

Nearly 372,000 consoles were sold during November, a rise of 113% over the month before, GfK panel data reveals. It’s the biggest month for console sales all year, although still well below the figures posted in 2021.

After several months in third place, Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console due to a 175% jump in sales month-on-month. November saw the release of a special version of the Switch OLED, featuring artwork from the new Pokémon Scarlet and Violet game. This version of the Switch accounted for 8% of all Switch consoles sold. There were also numerous Black Friday deals around the Switch, too.

Xbox Series S and X came close, but had to settle for second place after a 105% jump in sales. The Xbox Series S had a significant £60 price discount over Black Friday, and was the best-selling individual console SKU of the month.

A big increase in stock, coupled with the blockbuster release of God of War Ragnarok, fired PS5 sales up 71% month-on-month. A God of War bundle was the most popular PS5 console, representing nearly 38% of all PS5s sold during November.

The nine best-selling accessories were all controllers for either the Xbox Series X and S or PS5. PS5's DualSense White controller came out top, ahead of the Midnight Black version. This is followed by five Xbox controllers (Carbon Black, Shock Blue, Pulse Red, Robot White and Electric Jolt), before returning to the PS5 for the Starlight Blue DualSense (No.8) and the Cosmic Red variant (No.9). The tenth accessory is a charging station for the PS5 DualSense controllers.

Controllers featured repeatedly during Black Friday, with discounts and bundles promoted prominently over the course of the sales week.

GfK data reveals that over 1.29 million accessories were sold last month, a rise of 93% over October and 9.3% up over November last year.

What say you fellow SW friends? Are you surprised that the Switch continues to dominate Gen 9? The console seems to be a non-stop beast. With Zelda 2 coming out in 2023, I feel like it's going to continue that trend. Looks like Sony was wise to put God of War on the PS4 as well as bundle the game with the PS5. It's doing massive sales numbers that is for sure.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

the xbox would have sold more but they had supply issues, how sad.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3398 Posts

Very concerning numbers. How does de PS5 without supply issues and with GoW out comes out in last place?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KvallyX
@kathaariancode said:

Very concerning numbers. How does de PS5 without supply issues and with GoW out comes out in last place?

Sony is holding back consoles for Black Friday 2023.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Since Bait & Switch is competing with phones and tablets Mobile gaming and not Home Console gaming...

Xbox Won.......Again!!! :D

The brigade has gotta be on suicide watch these dayzzz. ;o

I almost, almost mind you, feel sorry for the lil fellers. lol :P

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Wow. Ps5 has been in stock for weeks on playstation direct. It's kinda wild it wasn't the top selling console considering the release of Ragnarok.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Always wondered just how the PS or Xbox controller always on top of accessory sales when drifting issues is much more prevalent on the Switch Joycon. Tbh even mine got that issue now but I never see any reason to get replacement as I very rarely play the switch. Heck last time I played was in August when I have to be outstation for few days.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@sakaixx: PS5 controls break so much they always top seller. Switch Joy Con issue was over blown, it’s actually worst on PS5 cause they have drift issues and cheap triggers that break easily. Also the grip is trash and wears off easily.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Huge difference in sales.

November (372k tot):

NSW 137k

XBS 127k

PS5 107k

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@mowgly1 said:

November (372k tot):

NSW 137k

XBS 127k

PS5 107k

Daaaang. MS only asked for pocket change to get a Series S this Black Friday in the UK, and they could only score a measly 20K units over the full priced PS5? LOLOLOL!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

We're counting % increase as a win for sales? I didn't read the whole thing, did xbox actually outsell PS5?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: its true, the ps5 sales should be 10,000 at best, with the pathetic empty library, 1 or 2 good exclusives at best. Finally a half decent game in GoW released after 2 years of horizon forgotten west, crotchet and clank, and a bunch of remasters/remakes.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin

@Chutebox said:

We're counting % increase as a win for sales? I didn't read the whole thing, did xbox actually outsell PS5?

By 20K units. Installbase posted the numbers

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/uk-monthly-hardware-chart-for-october-2022-race-for-best-selling-console-of-the-year-is-as-close-as-us-midterms.1196/post-120431

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: its true, the ps5 sales should be 10,000 at best, with the pathetic empty library, 1 or 2 good exclusives at best. Finally a half decent game in GoW released after 2 years of horizon forgotten west, crotchet and clank, and a bunch of remasters/remakes.

In that case, Xbox should be -100 with all those flipbook indies and trying to force hype for stale Halo updates. 🤣🤣🤣 There's a reason that they have to price the thing so cheap just two years in its lifecycle

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Chutebox said:

By 20K units. Installbase posted the numbers

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/uk-monthly-hardware-chart-for-october-2022-race-for-best-selling-console-of-the-year-is-as-close-as-us-midterms.1196/post-120431

Thanks

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KvallyX

@mowgly1 said:

November (372k tot):

NSW 137k

XBS 127k

PS5 107k

Damn, PS5 REKT again. It's too bad that the Series S sold out, as it was ranked #1 on Amazon in the UK until they ran out of units.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

No offence to KvallyX but when it comes to sale threads, I missed the days when @FireEmblem_Man does it better😥

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BenjaminBanklin

@kvallyx said:

Damn, PS5 REKT again. It's too bad that the Series S sold out, as it was ranked #1 on Amazon in the UK until they ran out of units.

You tried, man. The most important lesson here is that it takes a cheap and underpowered game console being sold at clearance prices well below MSRP to put a 20k gap between it and PS5. Money well spent, MS 🤣

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

I'm guessing the PS5 will beat the XSX and XSS overall in 2022. November is the month where the cheapest most available consoles win.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@silentchief said:

I'm guessing the PS5 will beat the XSX and XSS overall in 2022. November is the month where the cheapest most available consoles win.

You know it. In fact, lems have learned to expect the Xbox finishing in 3rd place this gen.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Imagine selling a console that's at least £290 (£189 vs £479) less expensive than your competitor and only outselling it by 20k units. lmao

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@silentchief said:

That's to be expected and Sony had 3 major exclusives released for 2022 to back up those sale units.

I'm far more interest how MS will fair next year assuming Starfield delivers.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KvallyX

@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:

You know it. In fact, lems have learned to expect the Xbox finishing in 3rd place this gen.

And cows have accepted the PS5 in 2nd place this gen. Win win!

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Silentchief

@kvallyx said:
@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:

That's what happens when you pimp your exclusives to the PC. I said it would devalue their brand and I was correct.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ermacness

@kvallyx said:
@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:

But the PlayStation won 3 gens out of the 4 gen it’s been in, and since this gen is ongoing, you can’t count it yet that’s why I put “expect“ and not “expected“. The ps5 finishing in 1st place (in the console race) is more expected than the Xbox coming in 2nd place at the end of this gen.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ermacness
@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:
@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:

That's what happens when you pimp your exclusives to the PC. I said it would devalue their brand and I was correct.

If you’re talking about coming in 2nd to the pc, then that’s an apples to oranges comparison seeing that anyone who uses it have a pc is counted in the pc total sales. No everyone who have/uses a pc games on it.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silentchief

@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:
@kvallyx said:
@ermacness said:
@silentchief said:

If you’re talking about coming in 2nd to the pc, then that’s an apples to oranges comparison seeing that anyone who uses it have a pc is counted in the pc total sales. No everyone who have/uses a pc games on it.

I'm saying overall Playstation sales will be lower this generation as more people will move to PC as a result of them releasing their games on that platform.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Sales meh..

Cows who love dem sales must be devastated the ps5 and Ragnarok got outsold by the Xbox 🤣

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

PS5 goes up to £479, Series S drops to £189. A win is a win I guess.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: Outselling by 20,000 units in one day is nothing to be sniffed at…..

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nonstop-Madness

@sealionact said:

@Nonstop-Madness: Outselling by 20,000 units in one day is nothing to be sniffed at…..

We're looking at monthly sales data. It's 20K over 31 days.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@sealionact said:

Thought it was Black Friday sales….Cant see uk here, but figures for November are interesting though.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin

@sealionact said:

Thought it was Black Friday sales….Cant see uk here, but figures for November are interesting though.

Figures from Chartz are never interesting because they're horseshit

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nonstop-Madness

@sealionact said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@sealionact said:

A very tight race. That's really great to see!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@sealionact said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@sealionact said:

Wow! Switch and Xbox knocking it out of the park!