No Man's Sky VR confirmed release date: August 14

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for subspecies
#1 Edited by Subspecies (660 posts) -

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-no-mans-sky-beyond-update-release-date-confir/1100-6468869/

At last, it is here. No Man's Sky VR arrives in just under two weeks. This is going to be a huge system seller for PSVR, Vive, etc. VR fans have been asking for this since day one, and Hello Games listened. Props to them. The update also includes a whole new level of multiplayer support (fingers crossed--online VR crossplay baby!!!), and a mysterious "third pillar" that is being kept for a surprise--but is supposed to be HUGE. Sean Murray has already said that over a million VR headset owners also own NMS, which means that the multiplayer community for NMS VR is going to be lit right off the bat.

Hype level 1000. My purple-haired head is going to explode.

Can't. Freakin'. Wait.

Here's what critics have said about the VR update (universally loved, basically)--

“No Man’s Sky is the virtual reality game I have waited my entire life to play” – GamesRadar

“Murray hesitantly promoting the latest update to No Man’s Sky and us doing our best not to lose our cool. That, I’m afraid to say, is far easier said than done; No Man’s Sky is absolutely phenomenal when experienced in virtual reality. I’m sorry, Sean – this is where I cordially invite everybody to join me aboard the hype train, and there is no turning back this time.”

“No Man’s Sky feels like a totally different game in VR” – IGN

“I can’t really describe how it felt. Teetering just above the planet’s surface, it didn’t feel like No Man’s Sky anymore. It felt lonely, exciting, and honestly a little scary. That’s No Man’s Sky VR in a nutshell. Taking something you once knew and experiencing it in a completely different light.”

“No Man’s Sky VR brings personal scale to an endless galaxy” – PCGamesN

“Where many other VR games (with rare, excellent exceptions) have felt limited, the grandness inherent to No Man’s Sky rips those limitations apart”

“No Man’s Sky and VR are the perfect match” – PCGamer

“I spent fifteen minutes with No Man’s Sky VR, and it wasn’t nearly enough. Whatever voodoo is required to make a game feel just right in VR, Hello Games seems to have nailed it.”

“No Man’s Sky in VR feels like a whole new game” – The Verge

“I’ve played well over a hundred hours of No Man’s Sky since the game first debuted in 2016. I’ve touched down on countless planets, swam beneath alien oceans, and ran from a hostile robotic police force. But nothing I’ve done up until now has felt as thrilling as jumping into the cockpit of a ship, pulling down the glass enclosure with my hands, and pushing the throttle to blast off into the sky.”

“No Man’s Sky is absolutely stellar in VR” – Eurogamer

“It’s amazing, of course. There are few games better suited to the full immersion of virtual reality, and I’m delighted to say that, from my short experience: there’s that thrilling sense of being there, feet planted on some alien planet, scanning the horizons and getting drunk on the endless possibilities out there.”

“No Man’s Sky in VR is a blast” – Polygon

“This is VR at its most compelling, putting me in fantastical places and giving me viewpoints that I can never expect to attain in real life.”

“No Man’s Sky VR is the purest way to explore the universe” – Engadget

“If the goal of No Man’s Sky is to make players feel, full-stop — then VR is the best way to play. This sense of scale and immersion simply can’t translate on a 2D screen.”

“Hands-On: No Man’s Sky VR Is A World Of Limitless Possibilities” – UploadVR

“No Man’s Sky in VR is, without question, poised to immediately become the largest and most expansive VR game to date once the Beyond update releases.”

Avatar image for Ant_17
#2 Posted by Ant_17 (12699 posts) -

I prefer the 3rd person view but i'm sure it will be fun in VR as well.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#3 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

The PS4 version is gonna be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper blurry

Avatar image for subspecies
#4 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

The PS4 version is gonna be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper blurry

There's already PSVR footage. Not blurry at all. Check IGN's link (and others). Check the PSVR trailer. No blur. Granted, a PS4 Pro is recommended for PSVR gaming.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#5 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

@subspecies said:
@goldenelementxl said:

The PS4 version is gonna be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper blurry

There's already PSVR footage. Not blurry at all. Check IGN's link (and others). Check the PSVR trailer. No blur. Granted, a PS4 Pro is recommended for PSVR gaming.

Off screen, direct feed and in the headset are all very different things. Look at this direct footage from Giant Bomb of Wolfenstein.




Loading Video...

Yuck

Avatar image for subspecies
#6 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@subspecies said:
@goldenelementxl said:

The PS4 version is gonna be suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper blurry

There's already PSVR footage. Not blurry at all. Check IGN's link (and others). Check the PSVR trailer. No blur. Granted, a PS4 Pro is recommended for PSVR gaming.

Off screen, direct feed and in the headset are all very different things. Look at this direct footage from Giant Bomb of Wolfenstein.

Loading Video...

Yuck

Dude, read the freakin' reviews. Practically all of the PSVR reviews said the graphics look nice and crisp. PC graphics are obviously better, but HG have optimized the game specifically for VR headsets.

Avatar image for subspecies
#7 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@Ant_17: It hasn't been stated if you can play it 3rd person in VR or not. At any rate, having it in first person on a flat screen is worlds apart from first person in VR. Looking to your side and seeing a moon through your spaceship window instead of the wall of your living room, for example, is something that is impossible to do justice with words. You just have to see it for yourself to really appreciate how crazy VR is.

Avatar image for nishanth12
#8 Posted by nishanth12 (639 posts) -

Yea.. I've been waiting for this update for a while..

I'm totally gonna play this in VR with my non-VR buddy. Hype

Avatar image for strategyfn
#9 Edited by strategyfn (494 posts) -

PSVR isn't always blurry. In-game RIGS Mechanized Combat League, AC7, Tumble VR, all look really nice. GT Sport and Skyrim VR look a bit off. Although in Skyrim it hardly matters.

So it's really a crapshoot if No Man's Sky will look nice or not. PSVR is capable of good/decent looking games though.

I doubt it will look Suuuuuuuper blurry, maybe slightly blurry, or maybe it will look fine.

Avatar image for Xabiss
#10 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

That is cool news, but to bad I am an Oculus Quest fan. Man it is just a kick ass headset and I absolutely love not being tethered to anything. Some of the experiences I have had with that headset are just amazing. Facebook said the other day they can't even make them fast enough right now so it is good competition for the PSVR. I will not be surprised if it is not the hot item this Christmas.

Avatar image for subspecies
#11 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@Xabiss: Quest is a cool device, undoubtedly. But NMS VR, dude. Come on. This is gonna be epic.

Avatar image for heirren
#12 Posted by Heirren (2199 posts) -

Ive heard Ace Combat is amazing in VR. Never had any interest in this game.

Avatar image for uitravioience
#13 Posted by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

Let's go! So hyped!

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#14 Posted by getyeryayasout (12383 posts) -

No matter the perspective, virtual chores are not fun.

Avatar image for osan0
#15 Posted by osan0 (15452 posts) -

sweet! gonna add that to the ol VR list.

Avatar image for whatafailure
#16 Edited by WhatAFailure (406 posts) -

@Xabiss said:

That is cool news, but to bad I am an Oculus Quest fan. Man it is just a kick ass headset and I absolutely love not being tethered to anything. Some of the experiences I have had with that headset are just amazing. Facebook said the other day they can't even make them fast enough right now so it is good competition for the PSVR. I will not be surprised if it is not the hot item this Christmas.

It's a great headset and if they can keep the supply chain going and keep making new games for it, I'd say it may end up being one of the most important VR headsets in history (yeah, really). Sometimes it takes one product to jumpstart an industry into the mainstream sphere, and standalone headsets like Quest have all the makings of that.

Also, No Man's Sky VR will be on SteamVR, and I think you are able to sideload that onto Quest and play it. Haven't checked if things have changed recently in an update, but you could look into it (your PC would need to be VR capable though, to stream it to your Quest).

Avatar image for Xabiss
#17 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

@whatafailure said:
@Xabiss said:

That is cool news, but to bad I am an Oculus Quest fan. Man it is just a kick ass headset and I absolutely love not being tethered to anything. Some of the experiences I have had with that headset are just amazing. Facebook said the other day they can't even make them fast enough right now so it is good competition for the PSVR. I will not be surprised if it is not the hot item this Christmas.

It's a great headset and if they can keep the supply chain going and keep making new games for it, I'd say it may end up being one of the most important VR headsets in history (yeah, really). Sometimes it takes one product to jumpstart an industry into the mainstream sphere, and standalone headsets like Quest have all the makings of that.

Also, No Man's Sky VR will be on SteamVR, and I think you are able to sideload that onto Quest and play it. Haven't checked if things have changed recently in an update, but you could look into it (your PC would need to be VR capable though, to stream it to your Quest).

Well it is not exactly side loading, but you run it through Remote Desktop and then sideload the VR part of Remote Desktop using SideQuest. Unfortunately Oculus made Remote Desktop turn off this feature within the actual app and you have to side load it now to make it work. After that then you can stream your VR library to the headset. Of course the issue with this is the latency that is introduced, but everyone says it really isn't to bad but you can tell. They say being untethered more then makes up for it.

You are 100% correct with you first paragraph and I do not think Oculus was ready for how popular this thing has become.

Avatar image for Xabiss
#18 Posted by Xabiss (2853 posts) -

@subspecies said:

@Xabiss: Quest is a cool device, undoubtedly. But NMS VR, dude. Come on. This is gonna be epic.

Oh I agree with you 100%. It may be the game that makes me buy Remote Desktop and side load the VR portion so I can stream Steam VR games on my headset. Even with the little bit of latency introduced I think it will be epic being completely untethered.

Think about this... Oculus Quest streaming NMW with the developer option turned on that turns off all boundaries. Going to a basketball gym or football field at dusk and practically being able to walk anywhere you want to go. There would be some setup, but with my laptop it would not be to bad. Man now that would be some crazy gameplay!

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#19 Posted by I_P_Daily (12280 posts) -

LOL reduc makes out like it a brand new game releasing when its an update.

We do threads for updates now, VR nutters get more desperate by the day for their niche gimmick to be mainstream, you keep fighting little ones :)

Avatar image for subspecies
#20 Edited by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@Xabiss said:
@subspecies said:

@Xabiss: Quest is a cool device, undoubtedly. But NMS VR, dude. Come on. This is gonna be epic.

Oh I agree with you 100%. It may be the game that makes me buy Remote Desktop and side load the VR portion so I can stream Steam VR games on my headset. Even with the little bit of latency introduced I think it will be epic being completely untethered.

Think about this... Oculus Quest streaming NMW with the developer option turned on that turns off all boundaries. Going to a basketball gym or football field at dusk and practically being able to walk anywhere you want to go. There would be some setup, but with my laptop it would not be to bad. Man now that would be some crazy gameplay!

Yeah, lol, it can get tricky with streaming. Good luck if you go for that, I hope you pull it off. My main concern would be latency. Not that it would matter too much in NMS, as it's not an overly twitch-based game or anything, but still. Lag sucks, even small amounts. But I'm with you on the untethered love. No wires is truly awesome when it comes to VR.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#21 Posted by mojito1988 (3671 posts) -

Cannot wait for this update, beyond hyped.

Avatar image for davillain-
#22 Posted by DaVillain- (37438 posts) -

@subspecies: Got myself a PSVR for a good price 3 weeks ago and will test it out on No Man's Sky! I been looking to return playing that game and still love it since it's launch. VR edition is a nice bonus.

Avatar image for dr_vancouver
#23 Posted by Dr_Vancouver (1046 posts) -

Can't wait to try in VR. Haven't played since a few months after launch, watched some vids looks awesome now with full MP and VR and other awesome updates.

Avatar image for subspecies
#24 Edited by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@davillain-: Welcome to the PSVR family! ;)

Avatar image for kuu2
#25 Posted by kuu2 (11159 posts) -

LOL No Mans Sky.............LOL VR.................

Avatar image for sleepnsurf
#26 Posted by sleepnsurf (3209 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

LOL No Mans Sky.............LOL VR.................

Pretty much, NMS was trash, is trash and will always be ah... trash?

Avatar image for ButDuuude
#27 Posted by ButDuuude (1383 posts) -

I wanted No Man’s Sky in VR. Seems like a perfect match.

Avatar image for jaydan
#28 Posted by jaydan (2387 posts) -
@sleepnsurf said:
@kuu2 said:

LOL No Mans Sky.............LOL VR.................

Pretty much, NMS was trash, is trash and will always be ah... trash?

Avatar image for Pedro
#29 Posted by Pedro (35389 posts) -

Not much of a VR person but this is going to be great for VR fans that are into Sci-fi and Space "sims".

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
#30 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4926 posts) -

So, maybe I'll get this game when it's on sale. Seems like a good reason to bust out my dusty PSVR gear.

Avatar image for PAL360
#31 Posted by PAL360 (29604 posts) -

NMS is amazing....i can't wait to start a new survival game. This will be so good!

Avatar image for Epak_
#32 Posted by Epak_ (10690 posts) -

Gonna finally jump in, my PSVR has been collecting dust after RE7.

Avatar image for subspecies
#33 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@ButDuuude said:

I wanted No Man’s Sky in VR. Seems like a perfect match.

It is a perfect match, for sure. Space sims should all be in VR, really, or at least have the option. As far as NMS goes, Sean Murray has stated that he was thinking about it for a long time, and I suspect he always wanted it in VR, but it was not a viable option until now.

Avatar image for uitravioience
#34 Posted by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON: you can find No Mans Sky for like $10 at walmart. That's where I got mine.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
#35 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4926 posts) -

@uitravioience said:

@DEVILinIRON: you can find No Mans Sky for like $10 at walmart. That's where I got mine.

Wow, ok. Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for uitravioience
#36 Posted by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON: no problem

Avatar image for uitravioience
#37 Posted by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

Just one more day! So hyped for this update. Me and my girlfriend both play NMS but only have one psvr in the house. Take a guess who will be playing on it first. Lol

Avatar image for subspecies
#38 Posted by Subspecies (660 posts) -

@uitravioience said:

Just one more day! So hyped for this update. Me and my girlfriend both play NMS but only have one psvr in the house. Take a guess who will be playing on it first. Lol

I'm so frikkin' excited, dude. I feel like a little kid again. :):):)

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#39 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16130 posts) -

@subspecies said:
@uitravioience said:

Just one more day! So hyped for this update. Me and my girlfriend both play NMS but only have one psvr in the house. Take a guess who will be playing on it first. Lol

I'm so frikkin' excited, dude. I feel like a little kid again. :):):)

Yup. And it has been announced that there will be no Universe Reset so your saved games are good. I'm ready to run through my capital ship in VR, then jump into my bird and find a few planets.

Come on Steam...gimme my update.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#40 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44096 posts) -

Props to Murray and the team at Hello Games; they might not have given us what we wanted at release, but they more than made up for that by delivering to us more than we could have ever hoped. NMS has turned out to be truly one of the better games of the decade imo.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#41 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44096 posts) -

Question: is this a standalone game that costs additional, or an update to the base game?

Avatar image for uitravioience
#42 Posted by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

So glad there's no server reset. Just got done duping a bunch of materials. Every ship is packed. Making my way to the Galactic Hub as soon as the update drops!

Avatar image for uitravioience
#43 Edited by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Update. All of Hello Games DLC have been free.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#44 Posted by freedomfreak (51235 posts) -

Got my VR set up. Just waiting for the patch.

Avatar image for PAL360
#45 Posted by PAL360 (29604 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

Same. Today we will be astronauts, guys :D

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#46 Posted by I_P_Daily (12280 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Props to Murray and the team at Hello Games; they might not have given us what we wanted at release, but they more than made up for that by delivering to us more than we could have ever hoped. NMS has turned out to be truly one of the better games of the decade imo.

I'm sorry but that is just BS, he lied his arse off on tv and got a shit ton of people to buy his product upon release (full price) and didn't deliver, then went into hiding. But you want to praise them, its no wonder gamers are seen as gullible idiots.

Avatar image for uitravioience
#47 Edited by UItravioIence (1214 posts) -

@i_p_daily: get over it.

Avatar image for davillain-
#48 Edited by DaVillain- (37438 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Props to Murray and the team at Hello Games; they might not have given us what we wanted at release, but they more than made up for that by delivering to us more than we could have ever hoped. NMS has turned out to be truly one of the better games of the decade imo.

I'm sorry but that is just BS, he lied his arse off on tv and got a shit ton of people to buy his product upon release (full price) and didn't deliver, then went into hiding. But you want to praise them, its no wonder gamers are seen as gullible idiots.

Yes Mr. Daily, you are right. He lied what he said it will be in the game but at the same time, Murray & his Hello Game Team never abandon the game at all. Updating takes time and within that time, it paid off as of now with this latest update. For me, I freaking love the game when it launch, it is the only 3rd-party game I put almost 100 hours on PS4. Murray was just too ambitious early on, then didn't come clean when the game was nearing it's release date. He was intentionally ambiguous to hide the game's lack of features. I could forgive him if the game was actually good which it was for me personally. At least Sony did the right thing by offering a refund after the game launch, even Sony didn't know NMS was gonna cause alot of shitstorm. I'm really surprise you're still talking about this.

I wouldn't say I'm praising Hello Games but they never give up making No Man's Sky the best it can be and that says alot. I hope the update downloads while I'm at work so I can play it when I return home :)

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#49 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

Impressions form a ResetEra user.

“Anyway, impressions on Pro:

Blurry as all heck, somewhat to be expected, definitely some sort of dynamic res going on.

Pop in worse than flat version but much better than I expected.

Performance is completely solid, no problems zipping around the planet.

Controls for exocrafts with the DualShock is total, total ass.

Weird audio bug with a constant shuffle noise on the left.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the DualShock implementation with the blaster/mining beam, that needs some work.

Full movement with DualShock as promised.

Sense of scale is truly immense. Even trees look imposing.

Ship cockpits look fantastic.”

I tried to tell y’all the PS4 (and Pro) and PSVR would be blurry af. “But But But teh videos!” It’s like y’all never learn...

Waiting for the PC version to go live so I can play on Vive 😎

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#50 Posted by I_P_Daily (12280 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Props to Murray and the team at Hello Games; they might not have given us what we wanted at release, but they more than made up for that by delivering to us more than we could have ever hoped. NMS has turned out to be truly one of the better games of the decade imo.

I'm sorry but that is just BS, he lied his arse off on tv and got a shit ton of people to buy his product upon release (full price) and didn't deliver, then went into hiding. But you want to praise them, its no wonder gamers are seen as gullible idiots.

Yes Mr. Daily, you are right. He lied what he said it will be in the game but at the same time, Murray & his Hello Game Team never abandon the game at all. Updating takes time and within that time, it paid off as of now with this latest update. For me, I freaking love the game when it launch, it is the only 3rd-party game I put almost 100 hours on PS4. Murray was just too ambitious early on, then didn't come clean when the game was nearing it's release date. He was intentionally ambiguous to hide the game's lack of features. I could forgive him if the game was actually good which it was for me personally. At least Sony did the right thing by offering a refund after the game launch, even Sony didn't know NMS was gonna cause alot of shitstorm. I'm really surprise you're still talking about this.

I wouldn't say I'm praising Hello Games but they never give up making No Man's Sky the best it can be and that says alot. I hope the update downloads while I'm at work so I can play it when I return home :)

I beg to differ as it reads like 1) you're praising them & 2) you're making excuses for them.