blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

Recently people have been claiming that starfield is just NMS2.0. Just looking from video comparisons, I could see their point, theres a ton of similarities.

I decided to try the game out myself and see what the big deal was. After playing for a few hours, I noticed that NMS strongly resembled another game that I played, called subnautica. The level of copying is grounds for a lawsuit. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

considering NMS came out 1.5 years before subnautica............ yea, sure.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13025 Posts

Starfield development/design started way before NMS as well.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Some of y'all shouldn't be allowed to make threads.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@loonski: @blaznwiipspman1: No, not really. The "copied" content came out right around the same time so nobody likely copied anyone. NMS came out before Subnautica but the bulk of the underwater content was in the 1.7 update a couple years later (the same year Subnautica released). The Abyss update came out in October 2018 and Subnautica came our in December the same year. So no, neither copied either and the game that came out later certainly didn't get copied by a game that came before it.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@byshop said:

@loonski: @blaznwiipspman1: No, not really. The "copied" content came out right around the same time so nobody likely copied anyone. NMS came out before Subnautica but the bulk of the underwater content was in the 1.7 update a couple years later (the same year Subnautica released). The Abyss update came out in October 2018 and Subnautica came our in December the same year. So no, neither copied either and the game that came out later certainly didn't get copied by a game that came before it.

subnautica was announced in 2013 december and had early access going back to 2014 on steam. Alot of the functionality of the game was already done long before NMS launched in 2016. Subnautica devs just polished their game over the years and had an "official" release in 2018. Its sort of the opposite way of how NMS did it, because just reading up on NMS history, the original game that launched in 2016 was complete trash, and the developers made the game awesome over the following years with tons of patches and updates. It wasn't in a good state until around 2020 or so.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blaznwiipspman1

@x_hedon said:

Starfield development/design started way before NMS as well.

its possible. Bethesda probably had something on the drawing board from 10 years back. No way they started developing the game in the past 2 years.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1

@techhog89 said:

LOL! Isn't it time you made another butt hurt thread over the next switch, having some sort of nvidia gpu?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39177 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:

LOL! Isn't it time you made another butt hurt thread over the next switch, having some sort of nvidia gpu?

Agreed. Its time for cringehog89 to unleash his butthurt, it has been over a month.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11619 Posts

Shame Todd had to go and rip off NMS, now it's causing all this butthurt and hot takes.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Techhog89

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:

Nah, I'm bored of it untill there's something new. I'll make an AMD one if you can come up with a better argument than, "Nintendo's engineers are incompetent and didn't think an x86 handheld was possible until Steam Deck was announced."

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@techhog89 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:

Nah, I'm bored of it untill there's something new. I'll make an AMD one if you can come up with a better argument than, "Nintendo's engineers are incompetent and didn't think an x86 handheld was possible until Steam Deck was announced."

shame, I was looking forward to one of your classic switch threads. Im sure hardwenzen is dissapointed.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Techhog89

@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:

Agreed. Its time for cringehog89 to unleash his butthurt, it has been over a month.

You actually have to side with me on this one, though. You're adamant that Switch 2 is coming late 2023 with BotW2 as a cross-gen launch title. That's not possible if blaz's theory that Nintendo scrapped all previous development last year and got to work on cloning Steam Deck hardware is true. That would mean a 2025 release at the earliest, which means you'll be wrong about BotW2 being a late 2023 release.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39177 Posts

@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:

You actually have to side with me on this one, though. You're adamant that Switch 2 is coming late 2023 with BotW2 as a cross-gen launch title. That's not possible if blaz's theory that Nintendo scrapped all previous development last year and got to work on cloning Steam Deck hardware is true. That would mean a 2025 release at the earliest, which means you'll be wrong about BotW2 being a late 2023 release.

I never heard him say that.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Did Star Citizen copy NMS too. You do know Space games have things in common. Lots of salty haters are mad it's not on PlayStation that is way the hate for Starfield. 😂

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

Starfield is an RPG, NMS is a survival game.

Dumb thread is dumb thread.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

thats HIS theory, that hes pushing on to ME. He still thinks nintendo will no matter what go with nvidia and they won't ever change direction. The only problem with that is that nintendo used AMD for 20 years up untill the Wii U.

2022 is different, theres tons of options to choose from for hardware. The steam deck using AMD rdna3, while the AYA NEO uses both rdna3 and intel. Nintendo is probably looking at all options before choosing.

But techhog need to accept anything is possible instead of shilling the same nvidia bs as usual.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11619 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Did Star Citizen copy NMS too. You do know Space games have things in common. Lots of salty haters are mad it's not on PlayStation that is way the hate for Starfield. 😂

That's cope, the game just doesn't look good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44604 Posts

Not like these aspects are new, nor were they when NMS released. I hope for Starfield's sake it doesn't bog itself down in resource gathering and crafting etc. Not to say that is bad itself just every game handles it differently. NMS lays it on real thick. Whereas a game like BoTW it's there but simplified and isn't a constant annoying burden like say NMS. Where Starfield finds is balance will remain to be seen.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Techhog89

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

thats HIS theory, that hes pushing on to ME. He still thinks nintendo will no matter what go with nvidia and they won't ever change direction. The only problem with that is that nintendo used AMD for 20 years up untill the Wii U.

2022 is different, theres tons of options to choose from for hardware. The steam deck using AMD rdna3, while the AYA NEO uses both rdna3 and intel. Nintendo is probably looking at all options before choosing.

But techhog need to accept anything is possible instead of shilling the same nvidia bs as usual.

RDNA2*

Of course they're looking at all options. You did imply that Steam Deck would influence their decision though, which is silly. AMD likely made a pitch to Nintendo long before Deck was announced. They probably even made a pitch for the original Switch because, believe it or not, there weren't technical limitations that completely excluded x86 or AMD from being used.

That said, there actually is new info now and it might make you happy.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blaznwiipspman1

@techhog89 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:
@hardwenzen said:

RDNA2*

Of course they're looking at all options. You did imply that Steam Deck would influence their decision though, which is silly. AMD likely made a pitch to Nintendo long before Deck was announced. They probably even made a pitch for the original Switch because, believe it or not, there weren't technical limitations that completely excluded x86 or AMD from being used.

and so what if I did imply that? Theres a difference between a pitch and real proof of concept selling mass market like the DECK is. They might have made a pitch for the original switch, but we both know that a handheld with x86 wasn't going to cut it in 2017. Power draw, and performance, in a small enough package. An x86 wasn't going to crack it in 2017, unless nintendo accepted 1 hour battery life, or a super turd of a handheld thats worse than any tegra.

Hardwenzen is looking forward to your new thread lol.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Techhog89

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@techhog89 said:

RDNA2*

and so what if I did imply that? Theres a difference between a pitch and real proof of concept selling mass market like the DECK is. They might have made a pitch for the original switch, but we both know that a handheld with x86 wasn't going to cut it in 2017. Power draw, and performance, in a small enough package. An x86 wasn't going to crack it in 2017, unless nintendo accepted 1 hour battery life, or a super turd of a handheld thats worse than any tegra.

Hardwenzen is looking forward to your new thread lol.

Not really. An Atom would have been pretty close to the A55. The only issue would have been the GPU. There were x86 phones back then, remember? They went with the X1 largely because Nvidia offered a good deal and Nintendo was cautious coming off of a failure. Also, this is the same company that used a 12-year-old CPU in a console just for the sake of maintaining BC with Wii. BC is also one of the biggest reasons they'd likely not want to switch, since "a smooth transition" is a priority. And, yes, I know Steam Deck is good at running Yuzu, but emulation is inherently flawed and would mean that many games might not work out of the box. A lot of games will be fine, sure, but that's not gonna be enough. Imagine someone excited to play Doom Eternal on Switch 2 with a good framerate and they're greeted with this instead:

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I watched Game of Thrones and Skyrim is clearly a rip off from that.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Welcome to the survival crafting genre. It has many prominent members, including ARK: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles, Valheim, and most recently V Rising. Konami once even butchered what remained of the Metal Gear franchise to make one of their own, complete with save slots you have to pay real money for.

But really, they all owe their existence and popularity to Minecraft.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Did Star Citizen copy NMS too.

For your sake, I hope you are trolling here. If you was drunk writing this, I can look the other way.

@xhawk27 said:

You do know Space games have things in common. Lots of salty haters are mad it's not on PlayStation that is way the hate for Starfield. 😂

And yet, some of those PS fans have gaming PC so chances are, they'll play it since it is gonna be on GP. Just be thankful everyone will have the chance to play it rather it be on Xbox or PC...and thank God for PC I might add😉

@fedor said:

That's cope, the game just doesn't look good.

Not defending Starfield but after watching it several times, it could very well be a good game but it sure ain't gonna win graphics of the year I'll give you that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

You're absolutely right, NMS did copy Subnautica.

A space exploration sim that has you travelling a near-infinite procedurally generated universe is exactly like a game where you explore a finite ocean area on a single planet.

Fallout 4 did, too, I guess. You know since it has base building. I guess that's the common thread here?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

...wut?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I watched Game of Thrones and Skyrim is clearly a rip off from that.

Funny, I heard it was rip from Witcher? Guess I heard wrong perhaps🤷‍♂️

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blaznwiipspman1

@mrbojangles25: its good you agree

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1

@techhog89: wow, you're still beating that drum about BC. Trust me, nintendo doesn't care about BC. It's like you completely ignore the wii and wii u every single time, like they never even existed in your eye. The one thing that doesn't matter is BC, especially since every game you have in your library can be purchased digitally already. These games can be run on x86 easily with a bit of tweaking. Also why are you derailing my no mans sky bashing thread. Weren't you going to make your own switch thread?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaznwiipspman1

@xhawk27: lol it's so true. The hot takes over starfield the last couple of days, the bashing, the so called people being "disappointed". It's all a joke

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Starfield looks fantastic

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Techhog89

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@techhog89: wow, you're still beating that drum about BC. Trust me, nintendo doesn't care about BC. It's like you completely ignore the wii and wii u every single time, like they never even existed in your eye. The one thing that doesn't matter is BC, especially since every game you have in your library can be purchased digitally already. These games can be run on x86 easily with a bit of tweaking. Also why are you derailing my no mans sky bashing thread. Weren't you going to make your own switch thread?

... You know that both Wii and Wii U had BC, right?

And you're the one who derailed it by bringing the topic up.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7200 Posts

Don't see the big deal about getting ideas off another. If that idea is good why not? More games like the AAA games can end up great and sometimes not. Imagine if that first open world game no one else made one. Or the first fps only fps. So if they did who cares.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1

@techhog89 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

so wheres the switch bc with the wii u?? Heck, even the 3ds?? Its obvious BC is something nintendo doesn't give 2 shits about. Especially nowadays, when most of their games are digital anyway.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@gifford38 said:

Don't see the big deal about getting ideas off another. If that idea is good why not? More games like the AAA games can end up great and sometimes not. Imagine if that first open world game no one else made one. Or the first fps only fps. So if they did who cares.

nothing wrong with it, its how games improve and become better. But if anyone actually played no mans sky, you would know how dumb it is to call starfield no mans sky 2.0. What a joke.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7200 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: yeah they don't look like one or other. I say more like elder scrolls in space. Which is fine because it's the same engine I think.

Like you can tell death stranded used hzd engine.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@techhog89 said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

so wheres the switch bc with the wii u?? Heck, even the 3ds?? Its obvious BC is something nintendo doesn't give 2 shits about. Especially nowadays, when most of their games are digital anyway.

So where's the AMD GPU in the Switch? It's obvious that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about using AMD or x86. So, they're gonna stick with Tegra. All of their games and dev tools work on ARM and Nvidia hardware anyway.

See how that works? It's even crazier that you think Nintendo's priority is making a console that's easy as possible for devs to port to... Then why did they make Switch in the first place? Or Wii U for that matter? They could have just made an HD triplet if that's their primary design goal.

As for Switch's lack of BC, it would just be prohibitively expensive to implement. For Wii U, they'd have to basically build the Wii U into the dock (Switch isn't even remotely powerful enough to emulate Wii U, and besides that I already showed why emulation isn't full BC, so the only option is to put Wii U hardware into the console or dock) and start selling the Wii U controller separately, which either means that Switch would have cost $100-200 more or they would have needed to sell a $200 accessory, neither of which is a logical investment. 3DS would have been slightly easier, but it would still have required separate accessories and some design changes (and still putting the SoC somewhere in the system for all games to work out of the box). I also don't know why you keep bringing up digital. You know that a just putting a game file on a console isn't enough to make it run, right?

Also, again, they've already specifically talked about how they want to have a smooth transition to their next console and bring all Switch players to the new platform. You think they're gonna do that by making them have to rebuy all games just so some devs have a slightly easier time porting games? And I mean SLIGHTLY, since all of the major engines already support ARM. Sorry man, but your logic is just not sound and is full of personal bias.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

A game that released over a year before the other copied the game that came out at a later date. Yeah, sounds legit...

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Subnaiutica is a really good game though.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blaznwiipspman1

@simple-facts said:

Starfield looks fantastic

simple facts as usual

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blaznwiipspman1

@WitIsWisdom said:

A game that released over a year before the other copied the game that came out at a later date. Yeah, sounds legit...

as stated earlier in the thread, subnautica was released in 2014 as EARLY ACCESS on steam. This was 2 years before no mans sky even launched in 2016.

Most of the core functionality of subnautica was already working in 2014. In 2018, that was the "official" launch of subnautica.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@pelvist said:

Subnaiutica is a really good game though.

100%. NMS tried to make a space version of subnautica, though they couldn't come close.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

as stated earlier in the thread, subnautica was released in 2014 as EARLY ACCESS on steam. This was 2 years before no mans sky even launched in 2016.

Most of the core functionality of subnautica was already working in 2014. In 2018, that was the "official" launch of subnautica.

Ok... No Man's Sky development started sometime in 2011-2012. You think that Subnautica is special in the fact it had early access and development before full release or something? Most games these days have 3-7 years of development in different stages. It's not like there wasn't internal play testing for No Mans Sky.. they had a closed beta in 2014 for journalists, a game play trailer for E3, and many influencers and other people were allowed to play the game and report on it as well.

It isn't like the game was still in the drawing board phase in 2014, it was still being developed but at that point in time it was mostly getting polished and getting tweaks because of what at the time was a shoddy engine that needed work... Both games were in about the same place in 2014, but were being handled differently due to the platforms they first released on. It's pretty clear neither copied the other to any great extent since both were in a similar place during their development cycle.