No Man's Sky Dev clarifies gameplay

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by darkmoney52 (4332 posts) -

Link to Eurogamer story: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-25-how-no-mans-sky-stole-the-show-at-e3

"I hope we've gotten that across!" says Murray. "The idea, with the gameplay that we showed, is that the planets are dangerous. It hurts me that some people think we're making this ambient indie game that you walk around and look at trees and scan them, like some universal Pokemon Snap. What we're making has core action. I hope we got that across. When you're on a planet, there are creatures that are dangerous. You see the drones and they're just a sneak peak of the mechanical, and you can interact with - they can be dangerous and they can be friendly. You are really interacting in this universe."

Just thought this would be interesting to some here, as I've seen some skeptical posters question what the hell you actually do in the game. Personally, this has me excited.

#2 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

We are interacting with drones now? I wanted the ambience not to be harassed by some random drones.

#3 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Yeah.... INTERACTING HOW EXACTLY ? :/

#4 Posted by Nike_Air (18771 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

First person shooting , of course.

#5 Edited by clyde46 (49047 posts) -

@Nike_Air said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

First person shooting , of course.

Oh yes, how could we forget that.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@Nike_Air

and there goes all my interest in this game...

#7 Edited by freedomfreak (49440 posts) -

So, shoot stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a bit more.

#8 Edited by darkmoney52 (4332 posts) -

Not sure what you guys were looking for. Exploration, crafting, action, what is it that's missing?

#9 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9204 posts) -

What if you could implant AI into the droids, then make them self-aware? Then fly off and witness the carnage of judgement day from a safe distance. That would be great.

But yeah, you probably just take a pistol and shoot them in the face.

#10 Posted by Heil68 (57266 posts) -

Sounds fabulous to me.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (49440 posts) -
@darkmoney52 said:

Not sure what you guys were looking for. Exploration, crafting, action, what is it that's missing?

Crafting? Like what?

#12 Posted by darkmoney52 (4332 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@darkmoney52 said:

Crafting? Like what?

They haven't released any details on that yet, they say they're hoping for a start similar to Minecraft's where everyone works together as a community to figure that stuff out.

#13 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

This game, Precursors, was made in 2009 by Russian developers Deep Shadows. It's a combination of an RPG game, FPS and space combat / trading sim with on-foot, vehicular and spaceship gameplay.

People hype No Man's Sky out of sudden yet tend to overlook games like these.

#14 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

I'm glad there's more to it than walking around but I'mma need more

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (49440 posts) -
@darkmoney52 said:

They haven't released any details on that yet, they say they're hoping for a start similar to Minecraft's where everyone works together as a community to figure that stuff out.

That sounds better. I hope they'll clarify on this later on.

#16 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

I'm in. Take muh money!

#17 Posted by getyeryayasout (11228 posts) -

Well if No Man's Sky is a play on No Man's Land, then it takes place in the space between two or more warring factions.

Danny O'dwyer interviewed one of the devs and he alluded to there being some bad guy or another, but he wasn't ready to reveal that info at the time of the interview.

#18 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19444 posts) -

If there's going to be legit action, then this game is back on my radar.

#19 Posted by MBirdy88 (11746 posts) -

all talk so far.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#20 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

well of course 'hello games'.

#21 Edited by PAL360 (28555 posts) -

The most interesting game from E3 2013/14 just got even more delicious!

#22 Posted by DocSanchez (4123 posts) -

It's very ambitious I'll give it that. It has a lot of potential. Not knowing how dangerous a planet is, really a voyage of discovery. Not just an interactive picture book, an actual game.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

This reminds me of the time they tried to explain Quantum Break.

#24 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9869 posts) -

This game sounds really good to me.

#25 Posted by getyeryayasout (11228 posts) -

This E3 stage demo does a good job of fleshing out what to expect.

#26 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

didn't the E3 demo show you will end up engaging in fights in space as well

#27 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19031 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

This game, Precursors, was made in 2009 by Russian developers Deep Shadows. It's a combination of an RPG game, FPS and space combat / trading sim with on-foot, vehicular and spaceship gameplay.

People hype No Man's Sky out of sudden yet tend to overlook games like these.

Precursors has terrible productions values and was buggy as crap. Way too ambitious for its own good. Just because it does a lot of things doesn't mean that they are good.

No Man's Sky is all procedurally generated and the universe is basically infinite.

#28 Posted by lundy86_4 (48259 posts) -

Holy shit! Stop the presses.

It's gonna take more to get me excited for this game.

#29 Posted by darkangel115 (4363 posts) -

well minecraft has enemies you engage with as well but its also pointless and boring so yeah they didn't clarify much

#30 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Are you gonna tell me that in a video game there's shooting involved? Holy f*ck

#31 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

the game's timed exclusive to ps4 btw, so it's only getting better with the power of sony.

#32 Edited by jg4xchamp (61348 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

all talk so far.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
#35 Posted by turtlethetaffer (18484 posts) -

Here's hoping it turns out really well.

#36 Posted by xhawk27 (9680 posts) -

Nope it's a Pokemon Clone.

#37 Edited by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

Looking forward to this game, but this guy needs to learn how to conduct an interview. All through e3 and such, he's always looking at the ground, our acting like he's some super shy anime character, and talks in circles.

C'mon man.

#38 Posted by clyde46 (49047 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Looking forward to this game, but this guy needs to learn how to conduct an interview. All through e3 and such, he's always looking at the ground, our acting like he's some super shy anime character, and talks in circles.

C'mon man.

Have you ever stood in front of 500+ at your industry's most prolific event of the year, millions around the world watching your every move and hanging on every word you say? He's a developer not a PR man.

#39 Edited by Senor_Kami (8529 posts) -

"I hope we've gotten that across!" says Murray. "The idea, with the gameplay that we showed, is that the planets are dangerous. It hurts me that some people think we're making this ambient indie game that you walk around and look at trees and scan them, like some universal Pokemon Snap."

How the hell does it hurt them that people think that when it's literally all they've shown taking place on a planet?! Whenever games press asks them about the gameplay, all they talk about is how they have a procedural planet/creature generator and they completely dodge the question and fall back on something that sounds like Galactic Pokemon Snap or Endless Space Ocean.

If they're tired of people getting the wrong impression, give the right one. Do a let's play or release some videos showing examples of what you can do rather than releasing some Pokemon Snap trailer and then get upset that people think that's an accurate portrayal of the game.

#40 Edited by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

@clyde46: if you know you're going to be addressing a large audience...then yes, you should be trained in pr.

he's had the same demeanor when just one on one also, nobody else around. If you are going to be interviewed, you need to step outside your comfort zone and learn some pr skills.

Sorry to get your panties ruffled.

#41 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You shoot things. You try to get resources so you can upgrade your suit, ship, weapons etc. . If you die on foot, you lose your items. If you die in your ship, you lose your ship. Sounds great. Game Informer's latest issue really clarified what the Gameplay would be like. It sounds like there are rare items you will happen upon too... rare ships and guns etc.. And there are many, many different types of ships like cargo ships for hauling materials, fighters, science vessels... really compelling.

#42 Posted by SecretPolice (30897 posts) -

@donalbane said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You shoot things. You try to get resources so you can upgrade your suit, ship, weapons etc. . If you die on foot, you lose your items. If you die in your ship, you lose your ship. Sounds great. Game Informer's latest issue really clarified what the Gameplay would be like. It sounds like there are rare items you will happen upon too... rare ships and guns etc.. And there are many, many different types of ships like cargo ships for hauling materials, fighters, science vessels... really compelling.

Haven't been following this game at all but I must say, reading what you wrote, this sounds like mah kinda game !!! :D

#43 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5459 posts) -

To be fair, they've done a really poor job of getting across what the hell you're actually supposed to do in the game. What the actual gameplay consists of. The only things they've talked about basically every time they've had a chance to talk about this game is the fact that theres a "procedural world" for you to explore. And that theres planets. Lots of them.

Great, but what the **** do you actually do?

#44 Edited by PAL360 (28555 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

To be fair, they've done a really poor job of getting across what the hell you're actually supposed to do in the game. What the actual gameplay consists of. The only things they've talked about basically every time they've had a chance to talk about this game is the fact that theres a "procedural world" for you to explore. And that theres planets. Lots of them.

Great, but what the **** do you actually do?

They did a great job at arouse people's attention, in my opinion. They only had a few minutes to show their game/concept to the world, so they decided to show the scale, and how fluid is the transition between planets (without loadings), instead of just shooting enemies or picking items, something you can do in basicaly every game.

Note that Hello Games came from nowhere (Joe Danger is not exactly a blockbuster), and after E3, No Man's Sky became one of the most anticipated games for the gaming comunity!

#45 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

So, shoot stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a bit more.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. What kind of interaction? Will there be quests? Can you colonize any of these planets? Are these planets randomly generated or is the universe stagnate? There's a lot of unanswered questions for this game. At the rate we're going, we might not see the release of this game until 2016.

#46 Posted by thegroveman (123 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for this game. The name 'No Mans Sky' makes me think of 'You can't take the sky from me'

However, as with any game, I make no judgements or preorders until its out or reviewed.

#47 Posted by darkmoney52 (4332 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

C'mon man.

The way I see it, that's the kind of anti-social nerd that's gonna make something really interesting for us to play.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
#48 Edited by harry_james_pot (11397 posts) -

I never really assumed that the game was just exploration. I saw the point of the video as just showing off the world and the seamless transition between planets.

#49 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

Give me a release date!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#50 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@amazonangry said:

C'mon man.

Have you ever stood in front of 500+ at your industry's most prolific event of the year, millions around the world watching your every move and hanging on every word you say? He's a developer not a PR man.

The **** does that even mean?