No HDR support for The Witcher 3 on PC...

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

http://gearnuke.com/cdpr-no-plans-implement-hdr-support-witcher-3-pc-ps4-update-new-year/

Damnit. I hope they reconsider.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

honestly NFG. and not just because I have zero intrest in Witcher 3 in general but if I did I would just have console anyway and I am not about to go out and buy two copies of a game like Witcher just so I can play the same game on a different device

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Sounds like HDR on PC is too new.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

It really is disappointing seeing PC games lacking HDR support. Not many monitors support HDR but I play most games on my TV anyway and my graphics card supports it. If I had an HDR TV I would want my PC games to look their best.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TryIt

@ten_pints said:

yeah the PCs are just waiting for the consoles to inovate so that they can follow

where is my eye roll?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 68936 Posts

I guess if you are looking for premium visuals consoles are the way to go. LMAO.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt

@Pedro said:

I guess if you are looking for premium visuals consoles are the way to go. LMAO.

yeah! in fact I was thinking of developing a game myself and I want it to be of the best quality ever so I was going to install my dev tools on the xbox and use that to dev my stuff!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Which HDR standard should they adopt? Seeing as the Television market hasn't solidified on where it's going with this tech I can understand why developers aren't completely supporting it.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ahmedkhan1994

@GarGx1: what about us pc owners who play on 4K HDR televisions. AC Origins and shadow of war looks amazing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

@GarGx1: what about us pc owners who play on 4K HDR televisions. AC Origins and shadow of war looks amazing.

a little FYI about resolution, vision and TVs.

If you take a 1080p TV, make it big, push it 8 feet from your face...amazing right?

well what happens when you take a 2048×1080 24 inch monitor and put it 1 foot from your face.

better? or worse?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

HDR is broken on Windows 10.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

If you have a decent monitor with good colour representation, HDR is nothing like the game changer some purport it to be. Improved refresh rates and less input lag outweigh the richer colours you get from an HDR TV. Still, it is nice and I'd expect devs will start implementing it on PC regularly once it's a more common feature of monitors.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GarGx1

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

I'm sure they do, they look amazing maxed out on a 1440p 27" Gsync LED @ 80+ fps as well.

The thing is not all TV's support all versions of HDR, the chances are HDR10 will win out in the end (open source, up to Rec.2020 etc.) but Dolby Vision is still a potential front runner, Technicolour/Panasonic HDR and BBC's Hybrid-Log Gamma are still being pushed in some quarters. That's why the HDR sector is still in flux and hasn't fully settled on a single tech yet.

@tryit said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

If you take a 1080p TV, make it big, push it 8 feet from your face...amazing right?

well what happens when you take a 2048×1080 24 inch monitor and put it 1 foot from your face.

better? or worse?

I hope you're exaggerating about having a monitor "1 foot from your face", that'll screw with your eyes. Optimal distance is 2.5 to 3 feet for a monitor (size is a factor of course but 1 foot away is being silly).

Assuming we're talking maxed out graphics settings, personally I prefer faster frame rates, low response times (1ms) and Gsync over Vsync 60fps, screen tearing, higher response times (increased input lag) and HDR

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

I'm sure they do, they look amazing maxed out on a 1440p 27" Gsync LED @ 80+ fps as well.

The thing is not all TV's support all versions of HDR, the chances are HDR10 will win out in the end (open source, up to Rec.2020 etc.) but Dolby Vision is still a potential front runner, Technicolour/Panasonic HDR and BBC's Hybrid-Log Gamma are still being pushed in some quarters. That's why the HDR sector is still in flux and hasn't fully settled on a single tech yet.

@tryit said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

better? or worse?

I hope you're exaggerating about having a monitor "1 foot from your face", that'll screw with your eyes. Optimal distance is 2.5 to 3 feet for a monitor (size is a factor of course but 1 foot away is being silly).

Assuming we're talking maxed out graphics settings, personally I prefer faster frame rates, low response times (1ms) and Gsync over Vsync 60fps, screen tearing, higher response times (increased input lag) and HDR

yup about a foot, slightly more, for 29 years for more than 40 hours a week. Just measured my current position its about a foot and 1/2

but again...is the images better or worse? 1080p at 5 feet vs 2048×1080 24 inch monitor at 2 feet?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1838 Posts

Well the article says that HDR won't be implemented for PS4 either. So it's not just pc, it's more like MS made a deal or a bitchy developer.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GarGx1

@tryit: There are so many factors in that 'simple' question. My preference is to play on a 27" 1440p monitor, approximately 3 feet from my face, to playing on a 55" 4k HDR10 TV approximately 8 feet from my couch. Like I said I prefer higher frame rates (up to 144Hz) Gsync and the lower response time of the monitor all of which are factor when considering where and what I game on.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: There are so many factors in that 'simple' question. My preference is to play on a 27" 1440p monitor, approximately 3 feet from my face, to playing on a 55" 4k HDR10 TV approximately 8 feet from my couch. Like I said I prefer higher frame rates (up to 144Hz) Gsync and the lower response time of the monitor all of which are factor when considering where and what I game on.

The suggested distance for a computer monitor is between 20-40 inches. I perfer closer (meaning 20)

I dont have the answer to my own question other than size and resolution is different in experience given the distance of the face. So when people nerd argue about resolution, and size it almost always depends on distance from eyes

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

HDR support for PC monitors is not there yet. In addition to there not really being a standard for HDR, I believe HDR stuff simply adds latency that computer monitors cannot have. Eventually HDR will be standard on everything, but that won't be for awhile.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1

@tryit: It's all entirely subjective which is why I can only state my own preference, which will be different to your's and just about everyone else's.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: It's all entirely subjective which is why I can only state my own preference, which will be different to your's and just about everyone else's.

no I dont think its subjective. parts of it might be subjective but overall I think how the eye works is not subjective.

I just dont know the answer to my own question.

That said, I have seen many people with a TV 15 billion feet from where the watch it and they want a larger one....that is not just subjective...that is just being stupid. move the thing closer.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#21 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17735 Posts

Disappointing that PC is not currently getting HDR support, but the game already looks amazing at 4K/60fps on an OLED.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GarGx1

@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:

no I dont think its subjective. parts of it might be subjective but overall I think how the eye works is not subjective.

That said, I have seen many people with a TV 15 billion feet from where the watch it and they want a larger one....that is not just subjective...that is just being stupid. move the thing closer.

Vision, in exactly the same way as all human senses, is entirely subjective and it can vary quite substantially from individual to individual. I know it's an odd idea but everyone knows the sky is blue right? You know it is because you've been told that since you were very young but is the blue you see the same as the blue I see?

The answer to your own question can only come from you, no one can tell you what looks and feels better for you.

Do you notice low frame rates (30 fps) when playing a console game? Do you notice high frame rates (60+ fps)? Can you see the detail on a large TV that's 8' from you? Is the colour better for on a monitor 2' from you? What if d,o,g spelled cat? It's all subjective.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:

Vision, in exactly the same way as all human senses, is entirely subjective and it can vary quite substantially from individual to individual. I know it's an odd idea but everyone knows the sky is blue right? You know it is because you've been told that since you were very young but is the blue you see the same as the blue I see?

The answer to your own question can only come from you, no one can tell you what looks and feels better for you.

Do you notice low frame rates (30 fps) when playing a console game? Do you notice high frame rates (60+ fps)? Can you see the detail on a large TV that's 8' from you? Is the colour better for on a monitor 2' from you? What if d,o,g spelled cat? It's all subjective.

its not 'entirely' subjective, its partly subjective.

example, your actual vision might be less if the screen is far away, but your social construct might make you THINK that its better when in fact its not.

Keivz_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Keivz_basic
Member since 2002 • 1318 Posts

@GarGx1: That’s interesting as I have the exact same 4khdr55” + 27”144gsync setups and I much prefer to game on my 4K TV. I use my 27” monitor mostly for racing games due to my wheel setup so it has its uses. To each their own!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GarGx1

@tryit:

@Keivz_basic said:

@GarGx1: That’s interesting as I have the exact same 4khdr55” + 27”144gsync setups and I much prefer to game on my 4K TV. I use my 27” monitor mostly for racing games due to my wheel setup so it has its uses. To each their own!

My point exactly, thank you :)

Everyone's preference is different but there is usually a reasonable solution for everyone as well.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit:

@Keivz_basic said:

My point exactly, thank you :)

Everyone's preference is different but there is usually a reasonable solution for everyone as well.

but the science of what your eyes see is not.

its a bit of both.

for example, you might like the sound of Bose speakers becasue they tend to be on the higher note but technically Vienna Acoustic is more accurate.

You also might like a huge TV screen 10 feet away from your couch because you are mirroring pop culture but its actually not better technically

so its a bit of both

in fact a lot of what people perfer is actually objectively ridiculous but because of tradition and wanting to feel like everyone else people do it.

Raking leaves in fall is a perfect example of that, its absolutely better to keep the leaves there and I think most people find it pretty but we rake anyway

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

HDR is broken on Windows 10.

This. Even trying to turn it on can stop the vid card from outputting signal.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5011 Posts

@tryit: In that case I’m a free thinker! I never rake my leaves lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@tryit said:

Raking leaves in fall is a perfect example of that, its absolutely better to keep the leaves there and I think most people find it pretty but we rake anyway

Lol, is it to this state that we have sunk?

#leafwars

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GarGx1

@tryit: Conforming to tradition or other people's wishes and preferences does not remove choice and opinion. For the sake of #leafwars, if you remove them because you want to, that's your choice, if you remove them because the neighbours will think you're a lazy sod, you have still made a choice.

No one else can see through your eyes.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: Conforming to tradition or other people's wishes and preferences does not remove choice and opinion. For the sake of #leafwars, if you remove them because you want to, that's your choice, if you remove them because the neighbours will think you're a lazy sod, you have still made a choice.

No one else can see through your eyes.

actually very often it does.

People very commonly make choices within the parameters of what they are used to, what is familiar and what is safe.

Putting a TV 10-15 feet away from a sofa is idotic by any standard, but people do it. They put the computer in the bed room, hang the TV above the fireplace put the couch 15 miles away from the TV, have dinning rooms they almost never use, spend 10s of thousands of dollars for homes that are about 3x times larger then they will ever use.

people do stupid stuff all the time they are highly influenced by suggestion, free thinking is actually far more rare then you give it credit

also pretty much 100% of the time I have walked into a persons living room their sound system is set up in a way that is absolutly wrong. Let me put this sub-woofer into this tight cabinet here with a door and I will put both left and right speakers right next to each other and jam out!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GarGx1

@tryit: People often make the wrong choices, that's what comes of being human. Still doesn't remove choice from the equation.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: People often make the wrong choices, that's what comes of being human. Still doesn't remove choice from the equation.

right but here is the thing.

If you walk into an acoustics scientists office and say putting left and right speakers right next to each other and the sub-woofer under the bed does sound better because its all subjective and depend on who you ask.

your likely to have security called on you.

Not EVERYTHING is subjective

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GarGx1

I'm not saying everything is subjective, Yes, there are absolutely right and wrong ways of doing things and doing it the right way will result in a better outcome, I'm not denying that.

What I'm saying is that no one can decide what you prefer or how you see things through your eyes and you cannot do that for someone else. Which is in direct answer to the question you posed.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ahmedkhan1994

@Phazevariance: I guess I'm one of the few who hasn't had problems. I've been playing shadow of war with HDR for over a month now on my PC.

The worst thing to happen was my screen going black for a second or two during gameplay, where I assume my tv was trying to figure out if the HDMI signal was still hdr or not. but that usually only happened once within a 3-4 hour gaming period.

plind12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 plind12
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

Too bad about this as I am a PC gamer who plays on a hdr capable 4k tv. I much prefer gaming on a good TV than a monitor since the image looks drastically better (contrast ratio is king) and HDR would be great in this game. Maybe enough people will ask for it and they'll change their mind. Doubtful yet maybe.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7681 Posts

I'll care about HDR once there are 144hz monitors with it

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45895 Posts

@ten_pints said:

How many monitors support HDR ?

I'd assume it's but a very tiny number.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@ivangrozny: Its coming to PS4 pro in a patch.

hughesyboozy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hughesyboozy
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts

@Phazevariance: Not sure what you’re on about, HDR works perfectly on PC. Not sure what GPU you have, but it works great with my 980

swifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 swifter
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

I have HDR tv hooked up to my pc Shadow of War & AC: Origins look a lot better in HDR this is very disappointing

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Just mod it in. Herms are getting a bit lazy.

hughesyboozy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hughesyboozy

@Ant_17: You can’t just mod HDR support in.....LOL

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@pug987 said:

It really is disappointing seeing PC games lacking HDR support. Not many monitors support HDR but I play most games on my TV anyway and my graphics card supports it. If I had an HDR TV I would want my PC games to look their best.

not many? can you link me to even just 1 monitor that i can actually purchase?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@m3dude1: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-hdr-monitors/

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26637 Posts

@hughesyboozy said:

@Ant_17: You can’t just mod HDR support in.....LOL

You can mod ENBs and reshades in, which are superior to HDR...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@m3dude1: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-hdr-monitors/

none of those monitors are capable of actually outputting an HDR image. whoever wrote that article should be fired for incompetence. there are no pc monitors a consumer can buy capable of outputting an HDR image

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7681 Posts

@m3dude1: thete are still panels that show hdr10 feed, but they are 8bit panels that simply run out of colour, still they do output it just not perfectly.

hughesyboozy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hughesyboozy

@DragonfireXZ95: No they aren’t, they look nice, but it’s simply impossible to use ENB for HDR, as you are missing a whole colour spectrum for a start...

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26637 Posts

@hughesyboozy said:

@DragonfireXZ95: No they aren’t, they look nice, but it’s simply impossible to use ENB for HDR, as you are missing a whole colour spectrum for a start...

You're thinking of the smaller picture here. The problem with most games is they use a crappy color palette to begin with; some use a great one, but it's rare. You're simply letting a few more vibrant colors stand out on a washed out color palette, when an ENB will simply cure that color palette.

Also, we're not using ENB for HDR, we're using ENB to correct or change the color palette to something more palatable. And, along with not only a color palette change, we get bonus DoF, anti-aliasing, SSAO and other goodies to go along with it. ENB is simply better than extra colors.

Case in point:

Obviously, this is just preference, as you can do anything you want with ENB and reshades since they are customizable.