no deaths in new prince of persia

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

*might be old*

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/prince-of-persia-next-gen/890383p1.html

In order to make up for the loss of the sands of time ubisoft is removing deaths in this one so everytime you're about to die elika will transport you back up to a point near where you were. Ubisoft has said this is to help more casual players out

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

So if you get decapitated by a hunter, she'll bring your headless body back to a point in time before then and you'll just collapse to the ground afterwards?...

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

'Sorry hardcores we know youve liked past PoP games but we realized money>you so we are making this game so easy you cant loose.'

Bye ubisoft, it was good while it lasted

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts
Bioshock did this too, I didn't like it.
Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts
Damn, they should remove that feature on higher difficulties. Otherwise it's just lame.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I'm fine with that. The death mechanic that kicks you back to a loading screen is a relic of old gameplay mechanics. They should devise new death penalties.
Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kirlok

I'm fine with that. The death mechanic that kicks you back to a loading screen is a relic of old gameplay mechanics. They should devise new death penalties.Vandalvideo

Exactly, but they just took death penalties from the game!

agni_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 agni_1
Member since 2004 • 791 Posts

'Sorry hardcores we know youve liked past PoP games but we realized money>you so we are making this game so easy you cant loose.'

Kirlok

True that...they are starting to feel like EA

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

I'm fine with that. The death mechanic that kicks you back to a loading screen is a relic of old gameplay mechanics. They should devise new death penalties.Vandalvideo

They could do like in Fable 2 were if you are killed you just gain tons of scars, and women find you less attractive.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts
the new PoP game looks sick, I've never been a big pop fan but I'll check this one out
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
That sounds dumb. Why don't they wait until you actually DO die, then transport you back to a checkpoint (Alive obviously)
Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kirlok

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I'm fine with that. The death mechanic that kicks you back to a loading screen is a relic of old gameplay mechanics. They should devise new death penalties.DireOwl

They could do like in Fable 2 were if you are killed you just gain tons of scars, and women find you less attractive.

However fable 2 is an rpg, if you want your hero to be scarless, its gona be hard.

Ubisoft just made the game a chore.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

its basically a checkpoint system without being called a checkpoint system.

you "die" but the game doesnt tell you that you did, you just get taken back to a back point. I actually prefer this to having to go back to menus etc when dead, keeps me in the game.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#14 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
The only difference between this and a checkpoint system is that there's no menu to click through...
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts

Kirlok

:cry: This isn't price of persia. This bastardisation IS NOT prince of persia. They changed the artstyle ( bothers me the less ) , they changed the combat , I don't think you can even manipulate time in this one and now its casual crap with no deaths ! Why UBISOFT Why ?:cry:

PS: What they did to Rayman is still worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
how is this no death...it just brings you back to a checkpoint...like 80% of games out there ;)
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
I liked it and they even said why they changed it to this in their interview. It's still like dying: you get teleported back to a checkpoint; only difference is that instead of a "You died, try again?"-screen this happens instead.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Who cares? It's functionally identical. The only difference is that instead of it being called "death", you're just brought back to a checkpoint.

"Game Over" screens and lives are an arcade relic, and more developers should seriously assess why they use those mechanics in their game.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cyberfairy
[QUOTE="Kirlok"]

AtrumRegina

:cry: This isn't price of persia. This bastardisation IS NOT prince of persia. They changed the artstyle ( bothers me the less ) , they changed the combat , I don't think you can even manipulate time in this one and now its casual crap with no deaths ! Why UBISOFT Why ?:cry:

After the fourth game in the series it's time to change the gameplay a bit or we'll end up with another Ratchet and Clank 4. I, for one, like the new approach they're taking.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cyberfairy

Who cares? It's functionally identical. The only difference is that instead of it being called "death", you're just brought back to a checkpoint.

"Game Over" screens and lives are an arcade relic, and more developers should seriously assess why they use those mechanics in their game.

sonicmj1

Exactly. It also helps build up the atmosphere and the relationship between the prince and Elika. Wich is cool.

Blackification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blackification
Member since 2006 • 1275 Posts
I actually thought this title meant you couldn't kill people.. I was really dissapointed for a second.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sonicmj1
[QUOTE="Kirlok"]

AtrumRegina

Technically, in Sands of Time, there was no death. Instead, the game was presented as a retelling of the main character's experience. When you "died", he said in voiceover, "Wait, that's not how it happened..." and then you could restart again from a checkpoint.

This is the same kind of thing.

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts

Hmm how about showing some death animation then jumping to the last checkpoint? Just teleporting before you are about to die seems kinda abrupt to me. Like "did I just die or was it a bug?"

EDIT: After reading the article, I saw this line "Instead of dying after a mistake, Elika merely swoops down and rescues the Prince and sets him back to a predetermined checkpoint." Swoops in? What the hell? Just feels weird.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JPOBS
[QUOTE="Kirlok"]

AtrumRegina

Being a huge pop fan, i was turned off at first as well. But their E3 showing won me over

it doesnt have have time powers which sucks, but it does have great platforming, and it looks like there will be moreplatforming in this game than ever because every enemy fight is oneVSone, so its like you spend 80% of the game free flowing around the environment and the rest fighting. I like it.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JPOBS
Hmm how about showing some death animation then jumping to the last checkpoint? Just teleporting before you are about to die seems kinda abrupt to me. Like "did I just die or was it a bug?"taker42
what would a death animation add to the game? nothing.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sonicmj1

Hmm how about showing some death animation then jumping to the last checkpoint? Just teleporting before you are about to die seems kinda abrupt to me. Like "did I just die or was it a bug?"taker42

I think there's an animation. It shows you getting 'rescued', and then you're returned to the checkpoint.

It'd be weird if you were just teleported there like nothing happened.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
Well wouldn't you go back to that point anyways if they did allow dying? So this is basically just cutting out the loading time. So... this seems like a good thing to me. Or am I looking at this wrong?
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts
Personally I dont think this is a big deal, I see it as the natural progression to checkpoint saves. What I find totally distracts from the new PoP game is the fact that the Prince is now such a weakling that he needs a constant companion to help him with everything. I mean the new Prince can not even do some of the platforming by himself, he needs his "Sidekick" to "help" him to make some of those jumps. This is like Solid Snake needing someone to help him aim his weapon. The whole appeal of PoP to me (from the very first game) is being able to wield a character that was able to transverse areas filled with dangerous obstacles and deadly falls using his athletic abilities. Now he cant even do that....
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 taker42

[QUOTE="taker42"]Hmm how about showing some death animation then jumping to the last checkpoint? Just teleporting before you are about to die seems kinda abrupt to me. Like "did I just die or was it a bug?"JPOBS

It tells me "Oh crap I screwed up". Now basically its just like having a super nanny who "swoops in" to save your ass.

I think there's an animation. It shows you getting 'rescued', and then you're returned to the checkpoint.

It'd be weird if you were just teleported there like nothing happened.

sonicmj1
Yeah I only read the article after posting :P still...I feel weird being unkillable, like I have on some cheat code or something.
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
whats the big deal, its the same as dieing but without a loading screen. she places you at the last checkpoint. better imo.
Hippostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hippostrike
Member since 2006 • 1014 Posts

This seems pretty nifty. As long as there isn't a new checkpoint every five minutes, it sounds like a cool replacement to the sands of time. Unless of course I misunderstood and you're teleported to the last jump you attempted before death.

There needs to be some limit to the teleportation thing though. If there is no way possible to get a game over, Ubisoft will have successfully made the most boring and least intense platformer ever created.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
They could at least punish you a little for your mistakes like they did with System Shock 2.
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cyberfairy

They could at least punish you a little for your mistakes like they did with System Shock 2.mo0ksi

In every 3D-pop game you have simply been teleported back to a checkpoint after death.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JPOBS

[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="taker42"]Hmm how about showing some death animation then jumping to the last checkpoint? Just teleporting before you are about to die seems kinda abrupt to me. Like "did I just die or was it a bug?"taker42

It tells me "Oh crap I screwed up". Now basically its just like having a super nanny who "swoops in" to save your ass.

if the supper nanny has to swoop in to save you, wouldnt that obviously mean you messed up anyway? :|

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cyberfairy

It actually adds a little more realism too if we disregard all the magic stuff though :P

What I mean is: she can teleport, so it would only make sense if she helped you. Why would she let you die, just like that, when she can save you?

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Philmon

This seems pretty nifty. As long as there isn't a new checkpoint every five minutes, it sounds like a cool replacement to the sands of time. Unless of course I misunderstood and you're teleported to the last jump you attempted before death.

There needs to be some limit to the teleportation thing though. If there is no way possible to get a game over, Ubisoft will have successfully made the most boring and least intense platformer ever created.

Hippostrike

Actually it is as you fear, if you die, you are transported to the last place you actually stood. So for example if you die tring to wall run from one platform to another, you get teleported to the last platform you stood on.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JPOBS

i odnt think you people get it. This is just a checkpoint systm without menu navigation.

in fact, in past pop games, you hit a trigger and went right back to the last platform you fell off. With this, you get set back a while...so..no biggie.

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 taker42

if the supper nanny has to swoop in to save you, wouldnt that obviously mean you messed up anyway? :|

JPOBS
Yeah but with the super nanny, screwing up is not even an option. It's just basically devs taking away even the chance(or freedom) of the player to screw up. It's like playing a PoP game, climbing up walls, running here and there but with an invisible safety net below you. Where's the thrill in that?
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JPOBS
[QUOTE="Hippostrike"]

Philmon

Actually it is as you fear, if you die, you are transported to the last place you actually stood. So for example if you die tring to wall run from one platform to another, you get teleported to the last platform you stood on.

no you dont.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
weird but i guess it doesnt matter just pretend u died if u really care im more pissed about the new prince
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sonicmj1
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

taker42

Yeah but with the super nanny, screwing up is not even an option. It's just basically devs taking away even the chance(or freedom) of the player to screw up. It's like playing a PoP game, climbing up walls, running here and there but with an invisible safety net below you. Where's the thrill in that?

Let's say there was death, and you screw up. What happens? GAME OVER. YOU DIED. Then you go back to a checkpoint.

This is exactly like that, but without the "GAME OVER" part. You've always had an invisible safety net, this just makes it explicit.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

taker42

Yeah but with the super nanny, screwing up is not even an option. It's just basically devs taking away even the chance(or freedom) of the player to screw up. It's like playing a PoP game, climbing up walls, running here and there but with an invisible safety net below you. What's the thrill in that?

You had the safety net of the sands of Time in the past games.

again, do you not realize that it is a checkpoint system except you odnt go back through the menus? Do you understand that hypothetically, you always die, but instead of "You died, please reload the game to start from last checkpoint", super nanny picks you up and says 'ok, you died, now get back in there"

I fail to see how having to traverse load screens and menus after dieing is the prefered method of death.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Ubi is basically turning into EA, which isn't that surprising considering they are a business.

Not buying the new POP though.

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

I couldn't be more disinterested in this game after what the did to the franchise with T2T.

They fixed all of the problems with SoT when they made WW. Then, all of a sudden, they feel it necessary to take three steps back and make The Prince a wimpy emo so as to make him akin to the snotty brat from the first game.

I'm not forgive Ubisoft for killing a good thing in Warrior Within.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Do this to Splinter Cell and I will easily say that Ubisoft is worse than EA.
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Philmon
[QUOTE="Philmon"][QUOTE="Hippostrike"]

JPOBS

no you dont.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36500.html

"Elika brings you back to the previous stable platform". That plus what actually happens in the gameplay walkthrough seems to show that the system works the way I think it does. I might be wrong but it does not seem so.

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 taker42
[QUOTE="taker42"][QUOTE="JPOBS"]

sonicmj1

Let's say there was death, and you screw up. What happens? GAME OVER. YOU DIED. Then you go back to a checkpoint.

This is exactly like that, but without the "GAME OVER" part. You've always had an invisible safety net, this just makes it explicit.

I know that. Technically you are right. There is no technical difference between the two systems. But what about storywise, characterwise? PoP 1 was cool in that when you die, the prince will say "Wait, that's not how it happened?" and you go back. 2 and 3, though, went back to the old checkpoint system. Boring and uninspired. And now this? The ole badass prince gets a super nanny? What's so cool about that?
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JPOBS

I couldn't be more disinterested in this game after what the did to the franchise with T2T.

They fixed all of the problems with SoT when they made WW. Then, all of a sudden, they feel it necessary to take three steps back and make The Prince a wimpy emo so as to make him akin to the snotty brat from the first game.

I'm not forgive Ubisoft for killing a good thing in Warrior Within.

Pariah_001

Your opinion is polar opposite to almsot the entire gaming world.

most feel that Pop2 was a bastardization, with good combat, but a over ansty prince trying hard to be Kratos, and with some bad game breaking glitches.

PoP3 is considered a return to form, and the dual personalities of the prince adds great comedic effect and story.

but its your opinion and you are very well entitled to it.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Philmon"][QUOTE="Hippostrike"]

Philmon

no you dont.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36500.html

"Elika brings you back to the previous stable platform". That plus what actually happens in the gameplay walkthrough seems to show that the system works the way I think it does. I might be wrong but it does not seem so.

From what i saw of the gameplay demo, the guy dies and is taken back quite a bit.

but i could be in the wrong here.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
Isn't reloading the last checkpoint what you typically do after dying anyway? As I understand it the only difference is you don't get to see the character die, or a Game Over screen. You just instantly restart from the last checkpoint. If this is correct I don't really see what the problem is. Rewinding time is a more interesting way of dealing with death though, I agree with that, but I don't understand why everyone's making such a huge deal over this. Did I miss something?