uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59774 Posts

Switch is the only console worth buying.

Until you realize it has about 5 games a bunch of massively overpriced third party titles, from last gen.

The key to Nintendo's innovative spirit is "to make something you believe is fun", says Shigeru Miyamoto

"If you make something for the sake of selling then it'll have all kinds of failures."

Nintendo director Shigeru Miyamoto has opened up about how the company drives innovation within the company, and well as managing its family-friendly image without appearing too infantile or "childish" for its core gaming audience.

In this week's issue of Famitsu magazine - as translated by Siliconera (thanks, VGC) - Miyamoto repeatedly quoted the mantra "peace of mind as key to Nintendo's child-friendly market positioning.

"If I were to express Nintendo's qualities in words then it is also 'peace of mind'", Miyamoto said. "There's peace of mind when looking at it as a parent and you can have it in your living room. We've put great effort into creating something that can be the center of family amusement.

"There was a time when Nintendo was called childish, but after continuous work on our priorities the efforts began to show around the Wii that gave us the image of 'peace of mind'.

"The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone's mind," he added.

Miyamoto also reflected on Nintendo's innovations, saying part of its goal to "make things that have yet to be seen" comes from thinking about customers and not "current trends".

"What really makes something Nintendo to us comes from truly thinking about the customers. It's not about the market or the current trends [...] If you try making something that sells, it eventually ends up becoming like something that's already out there. If what you make looks like something that might already be out there, then it won't sell well. That's why Nintendo makes things that have yet to be seen.

"If you make something for the sake of selling then it'll have all kinds of failures," he said. "The most important thing is to make something you believe is fun, rather than something that would sell."

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16232 Posts

Luckily I dont care.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sakaixx said:

Luckily I dont care.

About Nintendo or apostrophes?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Who wants to have fun with playing games?? Lol..

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

So the TLOU2 was inspired by Death Stranding?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56809 Posts

It's a good thing I'm more diversity of a gamer, so either way, I play Sony/Nintendo games to my satisfaction needs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 45032 Posts

Can’t argue with facts, Nintendo makes games that are hella fun.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Some people think that only Nintendo can create 'fun' games, like they have something that no other devs can tap into, what a load of bollocks. Most games are inherently fun regardless of their creators or platforms. Even games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 should be boring as hell on paper but is actually very entertaining, engrossing and 'fun'. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for example is more fun than anything that Nintendo has ever made in decades.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14865 Posts

Aha, so they admit to tricking people. About time.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@warmblur said:

So the TLOU2 was inspired by Death Stranding?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

That’s funny, because I’ve never used the word “fun” to describe a Naughty Dog game. It all makes sense now...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 41082 Posts

Last time i tought a Nintendo console was fun we were in the N64 era. Their strategy ain't working on me. In fact, it looks like a childish strat to me.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I like how Nintendo has ignored "immersion".

So many games try to be these immersive realistic story experiances.

Nintendo says screw all that, your a fat italian plumber that jumps on mushrooms, collects coins, who throws his hat to turn into a t-rex, fish, or flying bullet. Your mortal enemy is a fat turtle dino who keeps cock blocking you.

Nintendo is awesome, they havent changed with the trends and thats a good thing, they have thier lane.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Last time i tought a Nintendo console was fun we were in the N64 era. Their strategy ain't working on me. In fact, it looks like a childish strat to me.

No... This is a childish strat!

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2641 Posts

That secret was disappointing, I expected that they had the last unicorns on the planet and have them make Amiibos in a basement in Taiwan or something really unbelievable.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19835 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@sakaixx said:

Luckily I dont care.

About Nintendo or apostrophes?

He cares enough to post in a thread he "dont care" about.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14511 Posts

Who the **** thought weapon degradation in BotW was fun? We need to have a word with him/her.

P.S. The gyro puzzles were also in that game and those have never been good/fun.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Honestly, TLoU was so depressing, I figured I'll ne skipping the sequel.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4344 Posts

Honestly I just play on my laptop and nintendo games. Nothing else.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I think the word we should associate Nintendo with is expensive as their consoles are always overpriced, and for me Mario 1,752 is not fun. Nintendo can barely make a game without Mario in it, i'm surprised that they haven't figured out a way to put him in Pokémon or Zelda yet lol.

Nintendo has only ever got one console right, and that's the one I still own the N64.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4344 Posts

@i_p_daily: n64. The mostest magical console of all time. Eh. The way I see it is you gotta get over Mario sometime.

But have you tried the ds?? It’s got a unique range of cool games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@i_p_daily: n64. The mostest magical console of all time. Eh. The way I see it is you gotta get over Mario sometime.

But have you tried the ds?? It’s got a unique range of cool games.

My boys have a 3DS & a 3DSXL, and they pretty much only use it for when we are on car trips, car trips where i'm always driving, and besides when I go outside I never play video games because if I'm going outside its to drive to work or drive somewhere else etc.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41721 Posts

@floppydics said:

Some people think that only Nintendo can create 'fun' games, like they have something that no other devs can tap into, what a load of bollocks. Most games are inherently fun regardless of their creators or platforms. Even games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 should be boring as hell on paper but is actually very entertaining, engrossing and 'fun'. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for example is more fun than anything that Nintendo has ever made in decades.

So... no one then?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26655 Posts

If this is true, then what happened with Pokemon?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58879 Posts

That's probably the most hipster thing a developer can say. "We don't use the word 'fun'" lol

Explains why I found TLOU and other PS4 exclusives so....ordinary.

@djoffer said:

Who wants to have fun with playing games?? Lol..

Yeah it's not like that's the point, right?!? :D

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

No...Nintendo's secret is that they tricked unsuspecting customers into buying the Beta test of the Nintendo Switch. You might have heard of it...the Wii U.

Or, at least that's my stance. Irregardless if I'm right or wrong on that, I won't deny that the exclusives I've played on the switch are pretty fun, Especially the two Pokemon games I have played.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@floppydics said:

So... no one then?

These people are out there for sure. Do you believe that Nintendo games are more fun than any other platform?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9740 Posts

Well, the first one wasn't fun either... so no surprise there.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

The full quote was left off:

"For us, with The Last of Us specifically (Uncharted is a little different in our creative approaches), we don’t use the word 'fun,'" Druckmann told Buzzfeed when asked if the team ever tries to make the combat less serious. "We say 'engaging,' and it might seem like a minor distinction, but it’s an important one for us."

"We believe that if we're invested in the character and the relationships they’re in and their goal, then we're gonna go along on their journey with them and maybe even commit acts that make us uncomfortable across our moral lines and maybe get us to ask questions about where we stand on righteousness and pursuing justice at ever-escalating costs."

When you make Uncharted, you can focus on 'lighthearted fun'. But with TLOU, it's different. The story is far more serious, and they've invested so much in making the character believable (graphics, acting, dialogue).

There's a reason TLOU is still ranked as one of the better video game stories out there by gamers and critics, and why they have an HBO show coming out now. No one is making an HBO series out of many other video game stories because, frankly, they're not as well done.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

Video games are largely comparable to animation than live-action. Story takes a back seat for the aesthetic experience and mechanics.

They are more successful in the format of stuff like anime.

In some cases like Planescape Torment or Soul Reaver it's comparable to a book or stage-play.

But generally, I would put it down to shitty people handling it, than the source itself.

Castlevania barely has any story-telling in most of it's games, and it translated well to a series because the fellow behind it wasn't a hack.

Even a bad movie, you see the difference in performance between Raul Julia and Van Dams barely comprehensible dialogue.

One was a dying man making it for his son, the other was an ego driven coke head. We remember that movie almost exclusively because of Raul Julia.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8529 Posts

I also wouldn't use the word 'fun' to describe any of the Naught Dog titles.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Nintendo doesn’t make fun games though.

Their games suck. They just have a hardcore fanbase who refuses to grow up. These people will buy 4 switches because they had to have one of each colour.

Nintendo’s “secret” is to sell you the exact same game every gen with a gimmick involved.

Their games are mostly ports and barely improve graphically. Most of the switch games can be confused for GameCube games because of the cartoony graphics.

Their games are cheap, lazy and have barely any development time. They pump them out like crazy.

But the fanboys will defend Nintendo to the death in this blind delusion. The fanbase is rabid and loves burning cash on the same games over and over for full price because Nintendo never drops their prices.

The secret is they gouge their hardcore fans because they can. They won’t stop and the fanboys only have themselves to blame.