Nintendo's Online Service is worth every penny.

#1 Edited by ProtossRushX (5591 posts) -

Sorry folks I know a lot of you don't think paying for online is a good thing.

BUT 20 DOLLARS A YEAR you get all these nintendo NES games. You get Tetris 99. This thing is like 2 meals at mcdonalds for a whole year. Play mario maker 2 maps or do some online brawls in smash bro's.

THIS THING IS WORTH EVERY GOD DAMN PENNY COMPARED TO XB1 AND PS4 60 god damn dollars a year.

Those things are 3 times as expensive and im not really sure there worth it at all. Nintendo's seems more fair and balanced.

20 vs 60 do the math people, do it in your head. PC is free so you go switch PC and your good imo.

Now what if they start adding SNES games or N64 games some staples sprinkled in there or some imports from japan.

This service has got nowhere to go but up and is a good investment imo.

Theres gotta be some people on this forum who are subscribers and like what there getting.

#2 Posted by Ant_17 (12695 posts) -

Great troll post.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (34260 posts) -

Sega Meganet has some stiff competition.

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (37411 posts) -

"Nintendo's Online Service is worth every penny"

No!

@ProtossRushX said:

Dude, paying for online just to access MP is also stupid! Especially on Consoles!!! Stop being a Tool!

#5 Posted by jaydan (2386 posts) -

I have yet to have any reason why I should have a Nintendo online subscription. I didn't even bother using it when it was free.

#6 Posted by ProtossRushX (5591 posts) -
@jaydan said:

I have yet to have any reason why I should have a Nintendo online subscription. I didn't even bother using it when it was free.

what if they add some staple SNES games like yoshi island link to the past, and some n64 games like mario 64 and ocarina of time

#7 Posted by Sevenizz (4013 posts) -

OP seems to have spelt ‘rip off’ and ‘obsolete’ wring.

#8 Posted by onesiphorus (2928 posts) -

Something that can be said about paid online services is that gamers are unhappy with a service, they can vote with their pockets and stop supporting it. The company that owns the service will take notice of consumer concerns and try to improve on the service so as not retain or attract more paying customers. This is something that cannot be done with a "free" online service as if gamers are unhappy with the service and vote by leaving it, there really no incentive for the company to improve it.

So in a way, having Nintendo providing a paid online service will force it make changes as its users will vote with their pockets. It does not want to lose customers and lose money from the fees if it ignores consumer concerns. I think we are beginning to see Nintendo responding to consumer concerns for the Switch online service even if they are implemented slowly. I did not see any major changes on the online service when it was free on the Wii, DS, 3DS, and Wii-U.

#9 Posted by getyeryayasout (12382 posts) -

Intendo nline - N.O.

#10 Posted by XVision84 (16288 posts) -

Nope. I love the switch, but Nintendo online is trash. I got 1 year free from Amazon prime and I won't be renewing.

#11 Posted by Archangel3371 (28342 posts) -

I don’t mind paying for online if I’m getting something that I like out of it. While I love the Switch and a good portion of the games in its library the paid online aspect has been pretty disappointing for me so far. Their are some NES games that I wouldn’t mind getting for it but most of the ones that Nintendo have been offering have been pretty trash. I’m really hoping that they start offering SNES games soon because there is a better chance that I’ll get ones I actually want to play from that library.

#12 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19127 posts) -

OP, stop being a...

#13 Edited by mojito1988 (3670 posts) -

It is worth it for me? Yes because I make Mario maker levels and post them online.

It is a great service? NOPE!

#14 Posted by jaydan (2386 posts) -
@ProtossRushX said:
@jaydan said:

what if they add some staple SNES games like yoshi island link to the past, and some n64 games like mario 64 and ocarina of time

You don't even own a Switch.

#15 Posted by ProtossRushX (5591 posts) -
@jaydan said:

I'm getting one on September 20th and ill be snagging the online service the first thing I do get an instant NES library. :\ That was kinda rude to point that out the lite isn't out for another month and its perfect for me.

I save 100 bux and get a d-pad and the system will be easier to carry around its triple win the switch lite is even over the new switch that just came out because I never gonna hook it up to a tv.

Gonna play some breath of the wild with zelda nes on the side seems good man.

#16 Posted by jaydan (2386 posts) -
@ProtossRushX said:
@jaydan said:

I'm getting one on September 20th and ill be snagging the online service the first thing I do get an instant NES library. :\ That was kinda rude to point that out the lite isn't out for another month and its perfect for me.

I save 100 bux and get a d-pad and the system will be easier to carry around its triple win the switch lite is even over the new switch that just came out because I never gonna hook it up to a tv.

Gonna play some breath of the wild with zelda nes on the side seems good man.

The thing is: you don't even own a Switch and you're talking how the online that was once free is supposedly a great value.

Games like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Super Mario Maker 2 don't even function properly online; and furthermore, you're talking about NES games that have been released a million times over and ones I already own as Nintendo has given them out as freebies over the years (Nintendo has already given me over 20 NES, GBA and SNES games on the 3DS for free).

You give me a "well what if these N64 games were released?" scenario and all I can say is that it's completely irrelevant because as we speak Switch online does not have those games offered. I'm not here to play "if or when games will get released?" as a base of purchase when in reality I am just looking at its current state and it surely does not have those games so your questioning does not matter.

#17 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@jaydan: How did you fall for his trolling so easily lol.

#18 Posted by Speeny (1858 posts) -

I'm solely using it for MK8 Deluxe. If I ever stop playing that game...chances are I'll cancel the subscription.

#19 Posted by Litchie (24084 posts) -

I paid for a year, the family thingy with others, and I don't think their online is worth it. The NES selection is tiny, and their best games lag like hell online.

Nintendo show do two steps before charging for the online.

1. Make it free.

2. Fix it.

Then we can talk about cost.

#20 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9748 posts) -

Paying for online sucks, but it's not like there are any options on console where it's free. I would honestly prefer Sony and Microsoft offer a $20 option that only includes the ability to play online. It's not like I really use their other features, anyway.

#21 Posted by Solaryellow (5085 posts) -

The entire year is free for me so how can I complain?

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#22 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

Some of you really overvalue $20.

And with the state gaming is in today, I would rather play the Switches f2p online games for $20 a year than play any 1st or 3rd party AAA single player game at the same price. AAA games got me over here bored outta my mind

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

20 bucks a year for a bunch of NES games nobody wants and shitty online that is so shitty that it makes 90s dial-up look good.

Oh, but it doesn't cost much you say?

20 bucks can still get you 2 games each and every year. You know? Stuff with actual value.

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (34260 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

20 bucks a year for a bunch of NES games nobody wants and shitty online that is so shitty that it makes 90s dial-up look good.

They just done it because everyone else does it and they knew they could get away with it.

We all know this, Nintendo knows this. Yet, like all things Nintendo, free pass.

#25 Posted by enzyme36 (4255 posts) -

Monster Hunter Gen U online has been a solid experience overall. I also dabble with the NES selects. Overall my experience with Switch online has been just fine. I did not get any more function or benefits from when I was a psn or xbl account holder.

I will say that the NES selects in no way shape or form makes up for the let down of not getting back the games Ive bought off the virtual console during the previous 2 gens. Not getting these games back is a real lousy move by the big N.

#26 Posted by clone01 (27526 posts) -

@davillain- said:

"Nintendo's Online Service is worth every penny"

No!

@ProtossRushX said:

Dude, paying for online just to access MP is also stupid! Especially on Consoles!!! Stop being a Tool!

Speaking of tools, you have said moderator tools to make this tool stop being a tool. Maybe use them.

#27 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Yeah, it's a shame. Just because 20 bucks a year is not a lot of money doesn't mean people shouldn't have some standards.

#28 Edited by ermacness (8131 posts) -

@Sevenizz:

So much irony in your post lol.

#29 Edited by R-Gamer (407 posts) -

Tried to play Marvel UA3 online and there was barely anyone online. Tried over an hour to find a game. Thought to myself how much better the game would be on a PS4 or XB1. Outside of Smash and MK the online community is dead.

#30 Edited by pixieValerie (7 posts) -

No, Switch online is awful. I mainly got it for cloud saves. It's laughable, and lacks such basic features. And I know I don't care about NES games.

#31 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19779 posts) -

No it isn't, not slighty any improvements and continues to be barebones

#32 Posted by Ten_Pints (3864 posts) -

I'd rather just play on PC and pay nothing.

#33 Posted by jcrame10 (5131 posts) -

On one hand, it’s only $20 dollars a year.

On the other, the console is two and a half years old and the only games worth playing online are Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Smash Ultimate too I guess if you like to punish yourself?). $20 a year for two games is pretty shitty.

#34 Posted by pyro1245 (5128 posts) -

Well being $20/yr certainly represents its value.

You can't get much for $20 anymore.....

#35 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

Can't complain for $20 a year but I would like a service similar to Netflix where you could have all nes snes n64 games in a vault for a monthly add on.

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
#36 Posted by TheMisterManGuy (209 posts) -

I'm actually impressed that Nintendo's trying to keep their word on adding more value to this service. Tetris 99, the Game Vouchers, Trials, Free bonuses for existing games. They still need to work on improving the actual functionality of the service, but they're actually serious about adding to the service for once, it convinced me to buy a year, and if this keeps up, I may buy another.

#37 Posted by sealionact (4068 posts) -

@pyro1245: You don't get much online for 20 bucks with switch either.

There's basically nobody playing online with switch except for Smash and Kart, so unless you really value old NES games that are widely available elsewhere, there's little of value.....but then OP knows this, and doesn't even own a Switch nor it's online service.

#38 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

The nes games they are giving are available everywhere I owned most of them on the Wii u virtual console. If they can find a way to put snes, n64 and GameCube games on there the price will definitely go up.