Nintendo to release two new Switch models this year according to report

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24352 posts) -

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-26-two-new-nintendo-switch-similar-to-2ds-new-3ds-xl-sources-say

What do you think, SW? Do you think it will happen? I would consider getting the upgraded version.

#2 Posted by Raining51 (1142 posts) -

Is that a first? Has Nintendo ever done really new console versions I mean I guess you could count hard drive changes on the Wii U but this is kinda insane also.

#3 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19147 posts) -

Depends what the "Pro" version offers... according to DF it's only going to be a minor power upgrade, similar to 3DS to New 3DS. Not sure that'd be enough for me. But if it has other improvements like a better screen, better battery life etc, then maybe I'll buy it.

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (28365 posts) -

I think that this will happen, it just seems that there’s been a lot of little hints here and there that point to this being a thing. I’d be interested in upgrading from my standard Switch to a “Pro” model depending on what it might offer.

#5 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8653 posts) -

@raining51 said:

Is that a first? Has Nintendo ever done really new console versions I mean I guess you could count hard drive changes on the Wii U but this is kinda insane also.

They have done this before with almost every handheld.

#6 Posted by PSP107 (17496 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@raining51 said:

So are you part of the "Switch is a handheld" camp?

#7 Posted by NerdRAGE (30 posts) -

I hope this happens.

And it's not really about a power upgrade for me. I don't really care about that. I'm hoping for revisions to it's aesthetics and it's cooling mechanics... especially it's cooling mechanics. Because every now and then, the fan inside my Switch starts grinding (which isn't good). Also, with all the reports of bowed Switch bodies and cracking/expanding shells due to heat, I think it's safe enough to assume that the Switch DOES INDEED need a better cooling method.

If that's something that gets addressed in any future iterations of the machine, I'll be all over it.

#8 Edited by tocool340 (21381 posts) -

I want to say good because I decided to hold off on getting a Switch and a copy of SSBU thinking Nintendo may pull something like this, but considering Switch is still currently at $300, don't think a $400+ Switch would be a very enticing purchase. And I have no desire to get a cheaper bare-bones model either.. Looks like I may just end up getting the current Switch unless the "Suped" up Switch offers a stand out feature that makes it worth the price hike....

#9 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8653 posts) -

@PSP107 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@raining51 said:

So are you part of the "Switch is a handheld" camp?

It's a hybrid console that is undoubtedly aimed directly at the handheld market. It even is sold without the dock in Japan as a handheld.

I'm willing to bet one of the new models is a handheld-only version as well.

#10 Posted by SaltSlasher (1232 posts) -

I did want to play several games, but not gonna buy the current Switch cause its a shitty design and they know it.

I'm so down for this, I can't wait to see what they bring. Of course if they don't fix the issues with the original design, then I'm gonna continue to shit on it, even if the games I want look cool as butt.

#11 Posted by Epak_ (10694 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

I did want to play several games, but not gonna buy the current Switch cause its a shitty design and they know it.

I'm so down for this, I can't wait to see what they bring. Of course if they don't fix the issues with the original design, then I'm gonna continue to shit on it, even if the games I want look cool as butt.

What's wrong with the design? Too big?

#12 Posted by thehig1 (7330 posts) -

Are they still planning on releasing a handheld only version of the switch a cheaper price point ?

#13 Posted by robert_sparkes (3225 posts) -

I can't see the price getting that much lower even after removing the dock. If they can get it down to £199 then I might pick one up.

#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (34310 posts) -

Now Nintendo fans can get overcharged again.

Huzza!

#15 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

$99.99 BotW and Pro-Controller bundle and I may bite. :P

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#16 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3332 posts) -

I’ll buy anything Nintendo releases. They haven’t let me down yet.

#17 Posted by Litchie (24096 posts) -

If it's anything like 3DS to New 3DS, this upgrade will be 100% unnecessary to me.

I upgraded my 3DS to New 3DS for having "better camera controls" (but that nub thing didn't even work) and play the games exclusive to it. I only played Xenoblade for a while until I noticed I didn't like the game, and I thought it was nice to have 60 fps in Monster Hunter. Apart from that, it was a complete waste of money.

An upgraded Switch will probably be an even bigger waste.

#18 Posted by osan0 (15452 posts) -

some of the rumours are a bit off though.

the way it sounds the base model will have compatibility issues with certain switch games. The base model, with the attached jocons and lack of rumble, will cause issues for games like 1-2 switch and mario odyssey (throwing cappy in a certain direction for example).

not much on the pro model. not sure what to make of that. could they cram hardware roughly on par with an xbox one S into the switches form factor and not have it shatter battery life even more? are they making it a console?

as it stands i wont be getting either of these models anyway. im happy with my current switch. I thought they would be looking at a more refined model (like going from the PS4 to the PS4 mini) at probably the same price. a die shrink, more internal storage, remove the fan, bigger battery maybe.

#19 Posted by judaspete (3070 posts) -

I think a cheaper strictly handheld version of the Switch makes a lot of sense. I think it's a bit early for a power upgraded pro model. A revision with a bigger hard drive and better battery on the other hand would be neat.

#20 Posted by lebanese_boy (15084 posts) -

I'm a current Switch owner and I'm honestly interested in seeing what both models have in store. I may actually buy that Pro model if it's worth my while.

#21 Posted by lundy86_4 (53619 posts) -

If it has a decent power upgrade, then maybe. Somehow I think it'll be minor upgrades rather than anything significant.

#22 Posted by robert_sparkes (3225 posts) -

Can't see Nintendo releasing a powerhouse system I'd expect minor upgrades maybe to the screen.

#23 Edited by XVision84 (16324 posts) -

I would buy a strictly handheld version since that would remove all the stuff I don't care about the Switch and make it worth the price for me. I only care to play a few exclusives, I don't care about power since I have my PC for those kinds of games and I don't need another console hooked up to my TV.

I'm not spending $400 so that I can then spend $80 each on the 3 or 4 games I'm interested in. Give me a $300 or under handheld and I'm in.