SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

At 3 years old, Switch is still a baby compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo has done a great job with the system. I love when a company makes a product that I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I do. I use both the portable and dock modes roughly equally. The Switch has managed to have some really compelling games, and unlike previous consoles, has a good amount of 3rd party support. So I'm pretty happy with the Switch. I would say it's one of my favorite consoles of all time. How about you, SW? Are you a fan of the Switch? Below is an interesting article on the Switch's accomplishments so far.

5 Numbers That Show The Success Of The Nintendo Switch On Its 3-Year Anniversary

Topline: Coming off the Nintendo Wii U's dismal performance with consumers after its launch in 2012, Nintendo needed a comeback, and it managed to do just that with its hybrid console the Nintendo Switch, which launched three years ago today on March 3, 2017, and proceeded to take the industry by storm.

• The Nintendo Switch became the fastest-selling U.S. console ever in its launch year, according to the NPD Group, and in three years, it's hit 52.48 million units sold, blowing out its predecessor's 13.56 million and following a similar trajectory as the Sony PlayStation 4, which recently became the second-best-selling console with 106 million shipped after over six years on the market.
  • Nintendo hasn't been shy over boasting about the Switch's first-party software attach rate, and of the 310.65 million units of software shipped for the console, six Nintendo titles have sold more than 10 million units—Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (22.96 million), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (17.68 million), Super Mario Odyssey (16.59 million), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (16.34 million), Pokémon Sword and Shield (16.06 million) and Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu and Let's Go, Eevee (11.76 million).
  • After the Wii U's underwhelming launch line-up in 2012, Nintendo didn't fool around with the Switch, hitting store shelves with one of the best-reviewed games of all time in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which enjoys a 97/100 on the aggregator Metacritic and brought a radical new formula to the open-world genre and the beloved 34-year-old Zelda franchise.
  • With an unparalleled library of exclusives and its hybrid console-and-handheld nature, the Switch has become a popular "secondary" console, with the NPD Group estimating that 71% of Switch owners also have another current-gen console, with its games analyst Mat Piscatella telling GameDaily.biz that the upcoming PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X shouldn't affect sales.
  • There was a lot of doom and gloom around Nintendo before the launch of the then-experimental Nintendo Switch, but its comeback is in full swing, with its stock price rising 66% in the three years since launch—even with the coronavirus panic hitting global markets.

Big Number: 101.63 million. That's how many Nintendo Wii units were sold. Launching in 2006, it remains the company's best-selling console, but not its best-selling piece of hardware. That belongs to its dual-screen handheld the Nintendo DS, with 154.02 million sold after its launch in 2004.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

I can't wait to see more nintendo exclusives. I also really hope they remaster the Metroid Prime games for the system.

Nintendo's online though has been a joke for the entire generation. And I feel sorry for everyone who pays money for a P2P service that barely works and to get a few good games among piles and piles of NES/SNES games nobody asked for.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Same - my favorite console from this gen now, and one of my favorites period

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Dont like it as much but its a decent console for JRPG. I really, really hate the amount of ports the switch has, from 1st or from 3rd party.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Sits in shed.

3 good games and a E-Store constantly trying to rip off kids. What a legacy.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
@uninspiredcup said:

Sits in shed.

Sell it!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38813 Posts

In those three years, how many lazy hd ports has this system gotten? Every time i hear anything Switch related its always "X WiiU game is coming to the Switch" or "X xbox 360 port is coming to the Switch". And this thing is actually selling well. I don't get it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

In those three years, how many lazy hd ports has this system gotten? Every time i hear anything Switch related its always "X WiiU game is coming to the Switch" or "X xbox 360 port is coming to the Switch". And this thing is actually selling well. I don't get it.

How many ports have PS4, Xbox, and PC gotten?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Neither are 3y old. Xbone and PS4 were sprying ports during their dark times. It has ended. Switch, tho, its the only thing that's even coming to the system. Even during the ps4 era when they were releasing a bunch of HD ports, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is on the Switch.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Neither are 3y old. Xbone and PS4 were sprying ports during their dark times. It has ended. Switch, tho, its the only thing that's even coming to the system. Even during the ps4 era when they were releasing a bunch of HD ports, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it is on the Switch.

What Switch games are you talking about?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sakaiXx

@uninspiredcup said:

Sits in shed.

Oh hey I thought mine was bad lol. This was when the drought hits, fuken ports.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Sits in shed.

Oh hey I thought mine was bad lol. This was when the drought hits, fuken ports.

You get a Nintendo console, you best prepare for droughts.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Once I had my fun with Zelda I stopped using my Switch... I haven't touched it for about 2 months now. I don't think I will till Metroid and the new Zelda comes out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Once I had my fun with Zelda I stopped using my Switch... I haven't touched it for about 2 months now. I don't think I will till Metroid and the new Zelda comes out.

Pretty much.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Yeah, I like it, but it doesn't have much when you take away the indie games and ports. Which is the reason I've been a 100% PC gamer since I stopped playing Zelda, Mario and some indie games I liked. Would've been a Smash machine, but my friends haven't been craving any Smash sessions like they used to.

Haven't used my Switch since Christmas..

If Nintendo don't step up their game for their next machine, I might not bother with it. That would be the first Nintendo console I don't buy. Can't buy a console and play 1-3 games. Just not worth it. Waiting years and years for their next game while they ignore several of their own IPs is also very frustrating.

I'm gonna get Animal Crossing, next Zelda and Metroid. That's about it.

Animal Crossing should've been a lanch title, not a 3 years later title. We didn't really need another Zelda for Switch, would've been better if they used their other IPs, like Paper Mario and F-Zero instead. And Metroid got delayed for years because of their stupidity. Nintendo did not handle the Switch well at all, imo.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Are you saying neither the X1 or PS4 had ports and such until later in life after the three year anniversary?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Love it for the portability, Nintendo Switch is a true innovation which is a good thing, Nintendo hasn't forgotten what makes a console unique. 3 years and I'm still enjoying the exclusive it has to offer. PC/Switch is the best combo...but it never hurts to own PS4 to complete the Triforce ;)

• PC-Power
  • Switch-Wisdom
  • PS4-Courage
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

Its a cool system. I have a huge pent up backlog for it due to not buying anything for it last year (not due to a lack of games mind). i definitely dont have a lack of games to play on it or get for it. ring fit adventure is currently kicking my backside.

I also love the concept. i really really want someone to make a PC in a similar setup. something like the smach Z (please be real) or the Alienware UFO concept (please do it). i have so many PC games that i would love to play on a device like that rather than a desktop.

things i dont like: still no proper backup feature. hiding cloud saves behind a paywall and having no backup option is BS to be honest. 3 years in: still not done. i'm assuming at this point that its not going to happen.

it also looks like they dropped the ball on pokemon sword and shield which is a real shame (it has sold a shedload i know, but i wonder if it is leaving a bad taste in the mouth). im not talking about the fewer pokemon or anything...it's just the reviews i have seen give me the impression that the game is very half hearted.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@davillain- said:

Love it for the portability, Nintendo Switch is a true innovation which is a good thing, Nintendo hasn't forgotten what makes a console unique. 3 years and I'm still enjoying the exclusive it has to offer. PC/Switch is the best combo...but it never hurts to own PS4 to complete the Triforce ;)

• PC-Power
  • Switch-Wisdom
  • PS4-Courage

No its not.

Its literally a tablet disguised as a handheld you can connect to a TV, Nvidia did it 2014 with a Nvidia Shield Tablet.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
@osan0 said:

Its a cool system. I have a huge pent up backlog for it due to not buying anything for it last year (not due to a lack of games mind). i definitely dont have a lack of games to play on it or get for it. ring fit adventure is currently kicking my backside.

I also love the concept. i really really want someone to make a PC in a similar setup. something like the smach Z (please be real) or the Alienware UFO concept (please do it). i have so many PC games that i would love to play on a device like that rather than a desktop.

things i dont like: still no proper backup feature. hiding cloud saves behind a paywall and having no backup option is BS to be honest. 3 years in: still not done. i'm assuming at this point that its not going to happen.

it also looks like they dropped the ball on pokemon sword and shield which is a real shame (it has sold a shedload i know, but i wonder if it is leaving a bad taste in the mouth). im not talking about the fewer pokemon or anything...it's just the reviews i have seen give me the impression that the game is very half hearted.

Pokemon Sword and Shield at its worst is still a decent game. The post game, though, it's been bad for three generations now. I'm just holding my breath for the DLC, though the DLC isn't going to fix how rushed the fifth gym was.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Great system with tons of excellent games, I love it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Worth it just for Smash. The fact that it has many other awesome titles is just icing on the cake.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

The Switch is most unused system I have. Can't remember the last time I turned it on. Probably last year September or October.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

It definitely not used as much as my other systems I do plan on picking up links awakening and mario odyssey at some point. It has a decent library but still lacking on features.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Aside from a few games, not impressed with the machine; for starters it basically a re-skinned Nvidia Shield, and the older version at that when it came out. I find the controls to be awkward and hand-crampy in portable mode, and it’s not even conveniently portable: too big to fit in pockets, and doesn’t even come with a clamshell or other protective system. IMO it’s a shame it’s sold as well as it has, since it will reaffirm Nintendo’s commitment to underpowered, overpriced hardware.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen  Online

@Solaryellow said:
@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Are you saying neither the X1 or PS4 had ports and such until later in life after the three year anniversary?

no, what i'm saying is that ps4 and xbone are much older than the Switch, and they have less ports than Switch in just three years. In the first three years, the ps4 and xbone had nowhere near as many hd ports announcements. Its like the Switch was specifically created to re-release the same games and charge full / almost full price for them. Ridiculous.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1233 Posts

Would be a nice little system if the games were reasonably priced. Too bad that's not the case 99% of the time.

@osan0:

Check out the WIN GPD. It's a handheld laptop basically.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I had fun playing Odyssey and beating it. Fun game but I'm never going back. The only other game that interests me is BOTW but I'm not buying a system for one game. Those overpriced, inferior, ports are something though.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@davillain- said:

• PC-Power
  • Switch-Wisdom
  • PS4-Courage

No its not.

Its literally a tablet disguised as a handheld you can connect to a TV, Nvidia did it 2014 with a Nvidia Shield Tablet.

Oh yeah, the system with botched ports of Nintendo games for *checks notes* China!

On another note, now you know why Nintendo wouldn't fare well without their own hardware.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#31 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Definitely is one of my favourite consoles. I primarily game on it these days.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

Got one recently and liking it so far.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

75 games and counting. I just love the Switch. (I play it in handheld 80% of the time.)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

BotW was good. Last Nintendo console I'm buying.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Never had any desire to buy one, I was considering one for my kids for long cars trips but its not worth the price.

It lacks the games of every other device and its only redeemable feature is its portability, but I don't game when I go outside the house so its worthless to me.

I have a friend who has one, and I played Bayonetta 2 on it at work and the screen is way to small.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

Okay, I'm curious now.

For everyone who thinks the Switch has droughts...could you please list all of the new release PS4 and/or Xbox 1 games you bought in the last 6 months?

I'm honestly puzzled, because I've probably bought 20-30 Switch games in the last 6 months.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Terrific gaming system with some truly epic games... and the future is very bright!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie

@my_user_name said:

Would be a nice little system if the games were reasonably priced. Too bad that's not the case 99% of the time.

@osan0:

Being hideous, uncomfortable and very expensive aside, it also seems really weak. Not even smaller non graphics heavy indie games can't be played smoothly.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Litchie
@Planeforger said:

Okay, I'm curious now.

For everyone who thinks the Switch has droughts...could you please list all of the new release PS4 and/or Xbox 1 games you bought in the last 6 months?

I'm honestly puzzled, because I've probably bought 20-30 Switch games in the last 6 months.

"Switch games" as in "indie games that are on all platforms"?

If Switch gets no big hitters in a long ass time, while getting the same games as all other platforms get, it's still gonna feel like a drought..

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Nintendo was smart to exit out of the console market to focus on handhelds/tablets like the switch while they make iOS games on the side.

The Wii u was such a massive failure. It’s funny that the sheep are so delusional they still think Nintendo makes consoles.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

@Litchie said:
@Planeforger said:

Okay, I'm curious now.

If Switch gets no big hitters in a long ass time, while getting the same games as all other platforms get, it's still gonna feel like a drought..

Well sure, it's a huge mix of old and new titles. There are good games out every week. I play my Switch every day, whereas I haven't played anything on my PS4 for a few months.

But sure, if you want to stay focused on exclusive games...then I'll repeat the same question. What new release PS4 exclusives has everyone bought in the last 6 months?

On the Switch, I bought: Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Brain Training, and Zelda Link's Awakening. I also bought some time-exclusive indie games (like Murder By Numbers, which is great so far), and at least one port with heaps of exclusive content (Dragon Quest 11S).

I'm guessing the PS4's exclusive releases in the same time period make the Switch's library look awful?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

I only have a switch lite but definitely been playing a lot of indie games that i wouldn't normally play on ps4 or xbox one . I think its a great secondary console for that reason.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sakaiXx

@Planeforger said:
@Litchie said:
@Planeforger said:

Okay, I'm curious now.

Well sure, it's a huge mix of old and new titles. There are good games out every week. I play my Switch every day, whereas I haven't played anything on my PS4 for a few months.

But sure, if you want to stay focused on exclusive games...then I'll repeat the same question. What new release PS4 exclusives has everyone bought in the last 6 months?

On the Switch, I bought: Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Brain Training, and Zelda Link's Awakening. I also bought some time-exclusive indie games (like Murder By Numbers, which is great so far), and at least one port with heaps of exclusive content (Dragon Quest 11S).

I'm guessing the PS4's exclusive releases in the same time period make the Switch's library look awful?

Dreams literally released a few weeks ago.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie

@Planeforger said:
@Litchie said:
@Planeforger said:

Okay, I'm curious now.

Well sure, it's a huge mix of old and new titles. 1. There are good games out every week. I play my Switch every day, whereas I haven't played anything on my PS4 for a few months.

2. But sure, if you want to stay focused on exclusive games...then I'll repeat the same question. What new release PS4 exclusives has everyone bought in the last 6 months?

3. On the Switch, I bought: Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Brain Training, and Zelda Link's Awakening. I also bought some time-exclusive indie games (like Murder By Numbers, which is great so far), and at least one port with heaps of exclusive content (Dragon Quest 11S).

1. Well, you could be playing the PS4 instead, since it gets pretty much the same games every week. Switch shouldn't get the credit for having the same shit.

2. I'm not saying the Switch droughts are horrible compared to the PS4 or Xbox droughts. Just saying they're lame. I pay very little attention to what games the PS4 or Xbox gets, as I have no interest in them. I see their new games and their trailers and am never impressed by what I see and just move on and forget. Just a bunch of junk.

3. Cool that you found many games you enjoy. 4 of those games I don't consider worth playing, personally.

Overall, I think the Switch blows the other consoles out of the water. This is thanks to, like.. 4 games or so. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros. Ultimate and Luigi's Mansion 3 are all better games than any exclusives PS4 or Xbox offers.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

@my_user_name said:

@osan0:

Thanks for the suggestion :) . I had looked into the GPD before but its not quite right for me. the control layout looks naff and the SOC is not quite where i want it performance wise.

I do like the clamshell design mind.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Why are so many people here pretending to own a Switch just to complain about it? lmao

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidGame_basic

@techhog89: lol there are people here who do the same for other things as well

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#48 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Things still missing:

• Exclusive original Zelda
  • F-Zero
  • Metroid
  • Pilotwings
  • Original 2D Mario
  • Mario Golf
  • Paper Mario
  • Wave Race
  • Punch Out
  • Mario Kart 9

I could probably name more if I thought about it more, but that was 10 heavy hitters right off the top of my head that's missing in Nintendo's line up. Sure, a few of them are coming, but most are completely M.I.A. The Switch has been out three years now, and although we did get some really awesome games like Super Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion, we're still no where near where a company as big as Nintendo should be in three year's time.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Easily the best console in recent years to me, I can't believe the number of hours I have played on this thing in just 3 years. This hybrid form is basically the kind of consoles I've always wanted.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Okay, I'm curious now.

I'm curious (not really) as to which 20-30 games you bought in the last 6 months. That's an expensive hobby, with those Switch prices an all. I bought 3 PC games in the last 6 months and that's about it. I wish I had to time to play them. Kudos.