Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15897 Posts

Source: nintendo!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/181031_2e.pdf

Welcome back Nintendoom threads. Nintendo still has not outsold Gamecube. Only 18m sold? heh

*I also totally stole this from Resetera thread so thanks to those guys. kindly delete if not allowed.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

My goodness, for a Nindendont Handhelds that in the past always sold like hotcakes, that's a bit worrisome. Hopefully it can do better next year. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts

Only ?

18 million is still a lot.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Not bad but not great either. Sales have definitely slowed and I don't think Pokemon Lets Go is going to sell as many systems as some people expect. A lot of people have caught on and realize it isn't a real Pokemon game. It's going to be up to Smash and good holiday promotions to carry the load for the rest of the year. I don't see them meeting their original projection of 20 million sold this year.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sakaiXx

@SecretPolice said:

My goodness, for a Nindendont Handhelds that in the past always sold like hotcakes, that's a bit worrisome. Hopefully it can do better next year. :P

Nintendo wish they could do 20m a year. In their dreams, nintendo is ded

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

They may be the top 3 markets to them, but I thought recently people said it was above 20 mil, so maybe that's including WW or was just shipped numbers.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sakaiXx

@R4gn4r0k said:

Only ?

They are selling as much as xbox one.... Oops.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sakaiXx

@saltslasher said:

They may be the top 3 markets to them, but I thought recently people said it was above 20 mil, so maybe that's including WW or was just shipped numbers.

Those are shipped number. nintendo shipped 22m, sold only 18m. So need to move more numbers if they hope for more than 12m per year... LOL

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts
@sakaixx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Only ?

They are selling as much as xbox one.... Oops.

Better than WiiU though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

I think it's time to scale back that forecast a little.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Wait a minute, the tracking is only from three territories. So, this number isn't accurate. Crisis averted.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sakaiXx

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Wait a minute, the tracking is only from three territories. So, this number isn't accurate. Crisis averted.

I sincerely doubt South Africa, Australia and South East Asia combined is even bigger than UK market. Most of these is pretty much sony land anyway.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Wait, I couldn't find the actual graph before. If it's just those 3 markets it makes sense and total global sell-through should be closer to 20-21 million. Whoops!

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Techhog89
@sakaixx said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I sincerely doubt South Africa, Australia and South East Asia combined is even bigger than UK market. Most of these is pretty much sony land anyway.

It says US specifically, not North America. Should be over a million between Canada (which is Nintendo Land) and Mexico alone. If the total is around 20-21 million it's fine; shipments being 10-15% above sold at this point in its life going into the holidays is expected.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I honestly barely see any reason to buy a Switch right now. Yes, there are a few cool games like Mario Odyseey, Smash 5, Bayonetta 2, Pokken and... that's it pretty much.

While Breath of the Wild looks great, I have a ton of open world games for the PS4. From RDR2, Witcher 3, ACO and many more. Splatoon 2 looked cool, but as of right now you need to pay extra money to play online (I never payed for PS+) so now that's gone too.

What's more, the games that are multi platform costs more on Switch, so it is pretty much like other Nintendo systems- You buy it only for exslusive. And there are not many of them that worth it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@techhog89: agreed, sure looks like it would be close to the original report of 22.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I got it for Zelda and Metroid Prime 4... But yes I don't have many people in my gaming circle who actually have a Switch other than the several die hard Nintendo fans.

Its the price really, It costs more than a PS4 and X1S,.. And it being a hand held that doesn't have all the games doesn't help either.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

It’s only the second year. But the problem the switch has is lack of new content and lack of games in general. It gets games every so often with half of them being ports and remasters from Wii U/PlayStation/Xbox

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

lack of games is hurting this damn good machine

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34558 Posts

Doesn't sound bad. But I never exptected Switch to sell like hotcakes. Not with that price anyway. It's a damn expensive console.

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

I don't think they'll meet their shipment targets for this year. They need a more steady flow of games because it seems sales are slowing down.

These sales aren't bad but they could be much better.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

This has to be the fakest complaint about the switch.

I'm going broke keeping up with all the releases.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xantufrog  Moderator

And, /thread

22.86 million WW

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34558 Posts

@xantufrog: So it surpassed the GameCube. N64 next!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Guessing handheld numbers is a total bore. If you don't have real numbers your thread should be killed.

Mods lock this up.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
@xantufrog said:

And, /thread

22.86 million WW

Indeed. That's quite a bit better. I'm eagerly awaiting to see how the Switch does this holidays before trying to read any kind of tea leaves.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@xantufrog said:

And, /thread

22.86 million WW

Yep.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide

PS4 sold 20 million it's first year.

This is not too far behind that.

But you go ahead and create a fake panic or whatever you want.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5555 Posts

Deceptive OP talking only about niche market sales.... WW sales is all that matters in system wars... 23 mil in a lil over a year ain't bad

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2063 Posts

Lets go is unfortunately not going to shift units, but the following year the actual pokemon entry may very well shift units but how much like Pokemon Go it is will depend on the performance of lets go,

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide

@enzyme36 said:

Deceptive OP talking only about niche market sales.... WW sales is all that matters in system wars... 23 mil in a lil over a year ain't bad

It's on par with ps4 first year sales...and that's considered a success soooooooooooo what are these "people" trying to say here?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@stereointegrity said:

lack of games is hurting this d**n good machine

I had never seen so many indie games released on a Nintendo console in my life as I am seeing on the Switch. Games I never heard of before.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

As much as I dislike Nintendo, even I know 18m is pretty good considering the price of the HW and SW. Wait till the mainline Pokemon comes out, likely be the best selling game of the generation.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5555 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@enzyme36 said:

It's on par with ps4 first year sales...and that's considered a success soooooooooooo what are these "people" trying to say here?

Not sure, standards change in this forum everyday... and truthfully I really dont care if it ever reaches PS4 numbers. It doesnt need to reach that to be considered a wild success. I just want to call out hypocrisy when I see it.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: not at all. I'm dead ass serious. Switches lack of AAA first and third party is why mine collects dust. Bear Mario. Half way through Zelda. Played Mario cart to death. I've been waiting for super smash for far too long. I'm not a big indie fan and when I am in the mood I either get them off steam or psn.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@sakaixx: did you even bother checking your own link, or you like self owning yourself?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56025 Posts

Switch selling 18 Million is still good, it may not look much, but it's still pretty good and the best part is, the Switch isn't making the same mistakes with the Wii U, that's saying something. I'm sure the Switch will make it to 20 Million when Super Smash Bros. Ultimate arrives this December 2018.

@yammireckorrdsan said:

I honestly barely see any reason to buy a Switch right now. Yes, there are a few cool games like Mario Odyseey, Smash 5, Bayonetta 2, Pokken and... that's it pretty much.

While Breath of the Wild looks great, I have a ton of open world games for the PS4. From RDR2, Witcher 3, ACO and many more. Splatoon 2 looked cool, but as of right now you need to pay extra money to play online (I never payed for PS+) so now that's gone too.

What's more, the games that are multi platform costs more on Switch, so it is pretty much like other Nintendo systems- You buy it only for exslusive. And there are not many of them that worth it.

I don't really play my Switch at home, I always play it when I'm not at home and it's portability is what I like about the Switch and if it didn't have this feature, then I would totally agree with you. The Switch has lots of Nintendo only exclusive games like Bayonetta bundle, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveler, Splatoon 2, ARMS & the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are all worth owning the Switch in my opinion of course.

PC/PS4/Switch is the best combo for maximum gaming.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Techhog89
@xantufrog said:

And, /thread

22.86 million WW

Both numbers are correct. All numbers on that page are shipped. ~18 million is sold to customers in Japan, US, and Europe.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
@techhog89 said:

Both numbers are correct. All numbers on that page are shipped. ~18 million is sold to customers in Japan, US, and Europe.

Based on what? The 18 million figure for attach rate lists 3 regions. I understand the argument that the remaining regions won't sell as much, but the math isn't crazy at all - in order to reach 22.86million sales with the rest of the regions, this means the entire rest of the world only needs to be 21% of Nintendo's Switch market. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. In fact, it sounds just about exactly what I would guess - that the US, Japan, and Europe are ~80% of the Switch sales.

So I don't take "4.86 million in the rest of the world is impossible" as proof Nintendo didn't sell 22.86million.

I also don't understand why 22.86m "sales", if they do only mean "shipped", don't count. Like the X unsold-but-shipped Switches aren't going to sell and soon? Based on what? Nintendo sells them when they ship them, and if some % of those shipped units haven't sold THROUGH yet... what, the sales at retail are "only" 20 million then, or something?

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

It's just gotta have more games. I love my Nintendo Switch, and sure, it's only been a year and 7 months or so since it launched, but all the indies in the world aren't going to matter if it wants to really move units. I'm not an analyst but I always felt that consoles do well when they put out many great AAA-titles every year on it. Not just ports from older consoles or indie games. Last year was Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey. All great games but that's 3 AAA games. This year, Mario Tennis, Octopath Traveler, Super Mario Party, and soon, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I might be missing a few others, but excluding ports and indies (of which there are an abundant amount), that's all we've got. We you take that into account, and look at the amount of games other consoles have pumped out after almost 2 years on the market, yeah it kinda makes sense why it's falling short of their target sales.

I don't know, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about or maybe I need to cut Nintendo some slack. Again, I love the Switch a lot but they're gonna need to start showing more at e3 than just one or two things and they're gonna need to start pumping out the games if they want to compete with the others.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide

@stereointegrity said:

@Bread_or_Decide: not at all. I'm dead ass serious. Switches lack of AAA first and third party is why mine collects dust. Bear Mario. Half way through Zelda. Played Mario cart to death. I've been waiting for super smash for far too long. I'm not a big indie fan and when I am in the mood I either get them off steam or psn.

That's not the switch's fault you have terrible taste in games.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Techhog89
@xantufrog said:
@techhog89 said:

Based on what? The 18 million figure for attach rate lists 3 regions. I understand the argument that the remaining regions won't sell as much, but the math isn't crazy at all - in order to reach 22.86million sales with the rest of the regions, this means the entire rest of the world only needs to be 21% of Nintendo's Switch market. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. In fact, it sounds just about exactly what I would guess - that the US, Japan, and Europe are ~80% of the Switch sales.

So I don't take "4.86 million in the rest of the world is impossible" as proof Nintendo didn't sell 22.86million.

I also don't understand why 22.86m "sales", if they do only mean "shipped", don't count. Like the X unsold-but-shipped Switches aren't going to sell and soon? Based on what? Nintendo sells them when they ship them, and if some % of those shipped units haven't sold THROUGH yet... what, the sales at retail are "only" 20 million then, or something?

It's a financial document. The numbers are the number of units that Nintendo has sold. Nintendo doesn't sell to us; they sell to retailers who sell to us. Thus, any time Nintendo reports figures in their financial report it represents units shipped (aka sold-in, which is why they can call it "sold" on the page), they'll be referring to shipped, because that's what they sold and why sell-through numbers are always estimates. You don't need to get so defensive about it btw. All of this applies to Sony as well, so the 86.1 million figure for PS4 we recently got was also sell-in/shipped. And 21% for the rest of the world is absolutely too much. Nowhere near 21% of the market exists outside of those three territories, especially for Nintendo. The Switch isn't even out in mainland China, for example. If you need more proof though, I want you to think back to September 2013, when Wii U posted negative sales in the "Other" category. What sounds more likely: retailers shipping back 20k of unsold units, or 20k people buying the console and returning it within the return period? I'd go with the former. Also, trackers show that Nintendo has sold around 5.2 million units in Japan as of September 30th, but Nintendo's number is a bit over 5.5 million... which is conveniently about how many have been sold in Japan since, so if Nintendo's number is shipped, that would mean they shipped about a month worth of units in advance in Japan, which sounds right to me.

Also, I'm not saying that shipped doesn't count. In some ways it counts even more. I don't know how you got the idea that I was saying that it doesn't count. All I was doing was explaining the discrepancy. You're the one trying to downplay shipped numbers here, in fact.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@stereointegrity said:

I think:

Price of games

Price of the system

Price of Accessories

is what is ultimately limiting the Switch.

Nintendo have their heads up their asses as usual.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It's doing better than the Wii U and hasn't even been out two years, so that's all I really care about.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

18 million is great but didn´t most Nintendo fanbois in here say it would outsell PS4?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The initial hype was blown out of proportion. I knew it. I kept saying the Switch sales would slow down after Zelda and Mario and the dry period arrived. Sheep kept saying I was wrong. I wasnt

Nintendo blew its load way too soon and now it barely has anything worthwhile to offer

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

18 million is great but didn´t most Nintendo fanbois in here say it would outsell PS4?

With in 2 years?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Other than Mario Odyssey, I see no need for me to get a Switch. My rule is 3 games I want, I buy the console. Nintendo has one game I’d own and Sony has zero.

Sad too. I used to buy all the relevant consoles in a generation.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@boycie said:
@Jacanuk said:

With in 2 years?

Not the PS4 total numbers

Sony has sold on avg. 18.4mill pr year.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Vatusus said:

The initial hype was blown out of proportion. I knew it. I kept saying the Switch sales would slow down after Zelda and Mario and the dry period arrived. Sheep kept saying I was wrong. I wasnt

Nintendo blew its load way too soon and now it barely has anything worthwhile to offer

lol what? it already outsold the game cube. the switch is selling great. its no wiiU which is what sales slowing down you were talking about.

you were wrong.