Nintendo, Sony and XBOX under investigation for consumer rights violation by UK authority, CMA

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

GamesIndustry.biz

The Competition and Markets Authority has launched an investigation into multiple business practices of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

Responsible for preventing anti-competitive business activities in the UK, the CMA announced today that is has written to PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo requesting information about online gaming contracts.

The CMA intends to examine whether the contract terms are fair, how easy it is to cancel a pre-order or obtain a refund, and how the auto-renewal process is regarding things like regular reminders and default settings. It is also calling on consumers to get in touch and share their experiences.

Currently the CMA has no view on whether the companies are in violation of consumer protection law, though enforcement action could be taken if the "practices are misleading or their terms are unfair."

"Roll-over contracts are becoming more and more commonplace and its essential that they work well for customers," said CMA chief executive Andrea Coscelli.

"Our investigation will look into whether the biggest online gaming companies are being fair with their customers when they automatically renew their contracts, and whether people can easily cancel or get a refund.

"Should we find that the firms aren't treating people fairly under consumer protection law, we are fully prepared to take action."

So we still of the conspiracy that Nintendo gets away with everything, even WHEN they are in trouble? (Like a couple years ago when the US Federal Trade Commission got on their cases)

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Huh, request from the companies, not the customers.... Yeah, everyone is getting away with their shady businesses.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

They dig too deep and they will find more than they bargained for. Maybe concrete evidence Nintendo used the Wii U as a glorified beta test for the switch for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well Sony would be in trouble as they charge for MP and provide very little themselves, so they might get done for fraud lol.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I guess I didn't really see this the first time... seems kinda big IMO.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

I think there should be some standards and regulation for online gaming and dlc. Companies often come too close to stepping over the line, and their defence is always 'our way or the highway', and it's not right.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I think there should be some standards and regulation for online gaming and dlc. Companies often come too close to stepping over the line, and their defence is always 'our way or the highway', and it's not right.

No kidding. But I'm not sure if the big three are the worst culprits of it. Just look at the mess with Fallout 76 or worse, whatever EA touches these days.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Wow, interesting read. The CMA are no joke btw, they've pretty much stopped the Asda-Walmart and Sainsbury's merger from happening here in the UK, so they must be pretty powerful.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

NIntedo are awful, they should be penislized for their shitty online which delivers nothing, and overpriced Eshop.

A big F.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Being under investigation means very little these days.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

No kidding. But I'm not sure if the big three are the worst culprits of it. Just look at the mess with Fallout 76 or worse, whatever EA touches these days.

I was thinking about them too really. They're all just as bad as each other.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

good, i hope Nintendo gets nailed to the cross.

overpriced Eshop games and their "No refund policy"