Nintendo should have made another GameCube

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halo1399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By halo1399
Member since 2003 • 617 Posts

Easily the most glaring issue with the Wii U and its sales boils down to this: the controller. Nobody wants to hold a massive gamepad while while they play with a touch screen, gamers just want to play with a normal controller.

Nintendo should have created another GameCube with a similar, simple controller. The GameCube had extremely strong 3rd party support from nearly every company out there.

Think about all the incredible games the GameCube had: Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Viewtiful Joe, Mario games. Superb games with both 1st party and 3rd party support.

The GameCube also had incredible graphical capacity. Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, and the Windwaker are all excellent examples of this.

Instead of revamping the Wii with the Wii U (lets be honest the Wii U was just a fad with a couple great games like Galaxy), Nintendo should have made another GameCube, they would be seeing much more success in their sales if they went in that direction.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Gamecube only sold about 22million units though. Not something to write home about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameCube

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

People gonna bitch about bad sales and lack of third party....but the gamecube had a wealth of great games to play, some even third party. At least it was better off than the Wii, and much better than the Wii U thus far. GC> Wii (and Wii U for now).

EDIT: By Better I mean in quality of games, not strictly sales.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

Let's be honest, what they really needed was Virtual Boy 2

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Even the game cube has that stupid ass small disc which had limited space...Nintendo just can't do hardware right

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

You can't forget about the Matrix on Gamecube. That game was awesome.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#7 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Couth_ said:

Even the game cube has that stupid ass small disc which had limited space...Nintendo just can't do hardware right

I think the GameCube was actually the most powerful console of its gen.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
@halo1399 said:

Easily the most glaring issue with the Wii U and its sales boils down to this: the controller.

Stopped reading there.

The controller is the best thing about the Wii U.

It's not selling because it has crap marketing (made worse by its name, which confused people) and barely any games.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

While I agree that the Wii U should have had some of the things you said, GameCube is a bad example. Why would Nintendo want to remake their worst selling console of all time?

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

While I agree that the Wii U should have had some of the things you said, GameCube is a bad example. Why would Nintendo want to remake their worst selling console of all time?

Because system wars and the Internet.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The only thing separating the Wii U and the Gamecube is the tabletpad. And the Wii U is getting more high quality first party games than the GC did in the same amount of time.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

In terms of games, or sales? The Gamecube was great with games, but failed with sales.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Yeah, the GCN was a way better console. It actually had masterpieces like rogue leader and super smash bros. melee in the launch window, and the games themselves were only beaten by the xbox in terms of graphics. If it wasn't for the stupid mini-discs, it probably would have gotten more third party support.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@halo1399 said:

lets be honest the Wii U was just a fad with a couple great games like Galaxy

Fail.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

The gamecube was Damn Awesome... my favorite Nintendo Console.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

@Couth_ said:

It was powerful but for all the things it did well Nintendo still held it back with another stupid design choice

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

@Couth_ said:

Nah dude. I mean, it sure did have some good looking games, but the Xbox was the more powerful machine. Doom 3, Chronicles of Riddick, Conker's BFD, Ninja Gaiden and the later Splinter Cell games really show off what a powerhouse it was. There were actually a few 720p games for the machine as well. Too bad it was the last one to be released that gen and the first to be replaced. They probably could have gotten even more out of the machine.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The Wii U is the product of Nintendo making another Gamecube.

The Wii U is just simply less successful than the Gamecube which is quite a feat.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

In terms of games, or sales? The Gamecube was great with games, but failed with sales.

Wii U doesn't have games nor sales though, so the gamecube isn't looking that bad, right now.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Another Gamecube? Yes please!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Yeah, the GCN was a way better console. It actually had masterpieces like rogue leader and super smash bros. melee in the launch window, and the games themselves were only beaten by the xbox in terms of graphics. If it wasn't for the stupid mini-discs, it probably would have gotten more third party support.

Nope. There are still more hitches Nintendo would face. It regards to their freaking past history.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I would argue that they already have and it's called WiiU, but I would get bombarded with retaliations of "It wasn't underpowered" or a list of Gamecube's amazing line up of games.

Given from my own Library of Gamecube Titles and WiiU Titles I own the WiiU is shaping up to be somewhat of a New Age Gamecube, but with a Sega Saturn/Dreamcast feel to it.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

The Gamecube was a real next gen console when it came to processing power, but it had it's usual Nintendo design flaws. The storage medium was the biggest flaw. Even third party sports games had less content than the PS2 and Xbox version, 1.5 GB on one disc just was'nt enough.

Nintendo needs to start listening to developers when designing a console. The WiiU is a complete disaster hardware wise. A clocked down X360 CPU, low memory bandwidth, and they haven't added extra resources for the tablet controller, so when devs want to utilize it, they get an additional performance drop.

The GPU is the best thing in it, but it's still a last gen worthy GPU.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

The WiiU already feels like the next Cube in the making. Only major difference being that the Cube had great hardware for its time. Though calling it the next Cube isn't saying much coming from me, I felt the GCN was Nintendos worst console.

Honestly though, the tablet is the least of the consoles issues. When I see posters here saying stuff like "Nobody wants to hold a massive gamepad" it makes me question whether or not they've ever even played the system. It's actually a very comfortable controller with everything you would expect from a standard controller + plenty of extra functionality.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

Yes, because the Gamecube was such a huge seller.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I haven't yet used the Wii U pad. Can't find a demo unit, nobody I know owns one and I ain't buying it (yet). But frankly, I don't really see a problem with it conceptually and can imagine some pretty neat uses for it. Seems that Nintendo can't though. It looks (and from what I've heard) to be very cheaply made which given Nintendo wouldn't surprise me.

It really feels like Nintendo didn't give much thought to it at all really....just decided they needed something to differentiate themselves solely for the purpose of differentiantation, and not because it would be of any practical usage to the games. Then when people didn't buy the U just because it was unique or had the Wii brand name as they were betting on, Nintendo was left scrambling to actually find reason for its existence.

I love it when laziness, assumptions and arrogance gets their justs. I suppose Nintendo now realizes they actually have to work for money instead of leaning on novelty and "being different" to be able to sell on the promise of potential they never seem to be able to fulfill.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27  Edited By lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

I've played the Wii U and as much as I have been hating modern Nintendo, I have no idea why everyone says the Wii U gamepad is its downfall. I think it's its best quality. It's the outdated hardware, lackluster online, subpar arcade games, and the same old franchises are why I don't care for it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Sweenix said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Wii U doesn't have games nor sales though, so the gamecube isn't looking that bad, right now.

It has games. Nintendo kinda botched it, but it's still kind of new. It's only a little over a year old.

Still, Nintendo needs to get on it.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Controller ergonomics is not the Wii U's biggest issue. Its drain on system resources and limited application are more glaring than its interfacing with the player.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

hahaha. Is that why they recently said the Wiiu isn't doing so great? lel

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Strange it might sound but for me the wii u controller is actually awesome, people judge it without even trying it. sure it looks weird but it's kinda nice. this comming from a sony fan.