Nintendo Sends Final Wii U Devkits To Developers; The Next Generation Has Begun

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Who do we love? NINTENDO! Why do we love them? BECAUSE THEIR GAMES AREN'T CINEMATIC PIECES OF SH*T!!!

Yay Nintendo!!!!

Dy_WarriorsXoXo

You love Nintendo because their games have ****y production values?

The Zelda games and Metroid definitely have cutscenes.

Having cutscenes doesn't equal cinematic game by default. :?

And Nintendo may not use over the top production values like many other companies, but they aren't sh*ty lol.

I'd rather a company treat the core gameplay and level design as priority #1 and make the presentation secondary. Nintendo does just that.

Wensea10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 Wensea10
Member since 2010 • 894 Posts
The main interesting news about the Wii U merchandise was 'New Super Mario Bros. Wii U.'
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Dy_WarriorsXoXo"]

You love Nintendo because their games have ****y production values?

The Zelda games and Metroid definitely have cutscenes.

Dy_WarriorsXoXo

Having cutscenes doesn't equal cinematic game by default. :?

And Nintendo may not use over the top production values like many other companies, but they aren't sh*ty lol.

I'd rather a company treat the core gameplay and level design as priority #1 and make the presentation secondary. Nintendo does just that.

So "over the top production values" are a negative now?

Nintendo's games are well financed but they do not push cutting edge graphics.

Metroid the Other M has CGI and all Zelda games are cutscenes.

By Cinematic games do you all mean Heavy Rain?

Did I say over the top production values are bad? No. Not at all. I can think of plenty of games that have a great core, plus great production values.

First you put words in Neonninjas mouth, now you're trying the same with me. Stop.

I think you know what people mean by cinematic game. At least you should if you're into games enough to post on SW.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
It'll be less powerful than a sh*tty hd 6670... Don't think anything is need to be said here.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
my purchase of a Wii-U depends entirely on how the new smash bros plays. Anything like Brawl, and I may pass.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

It'd be interesting how the 3rd Party devs will move next gen.

If they decided to go for the Least Common Denominator, then that means the 20% more power for the NeXtXbox is useless :lol:

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

This E3 should be quite interesting then.

Demonjoe93

I hope so, the last three were just so horrible...But none as bad as the last.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

So let me get this right.Now that Nintendo has entered HD gaming that makes them next gen?.Also isn't the console getting games that will already be released on PS3,and 360.Doesn't not mean the console will be getting ports of these games.And people don't take this as me being some fanboy here I am pointing out what I saw at E3 of 2011.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#61 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

The generation began with the 3DS!

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

The generation began with the 3DS!

AmayaPapaya

Just like how the 7th generation began in 2004 with the Nintendo DS, and the 6th generation began in 1999 with the Sega Dreamcast.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

So let me get this right.Now that Nintendo has entered HD gaming that makes them next gen?.Also isn't the console getting games that will already be released on PS3,and 360.Doesn't not mean the console will be getting ports of these games.And people don't take this as me being some fanboy here I am pointing out what I saw at E3 of 2011.

Promised_Trini

What part of 3-5x more powerful than PS3 aren't you understanding?

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

next gen has begun....ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOARD

:p

Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
Hooray!! i can't wait for e3. the wait is killing me.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#66 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"]

This E3 should be quite interesting then.

VendettaRed07

I hope so, the last three were just so horrible...But none as bad as the last.

I thought Nintendo's E3 2010 was great.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nintendoboy16

Promised_Trini
It's next-gen because Nintendo is releasing a new console. Every new console gets some old ports.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

And the rumoured 720 is rumoured to use hardware that came out for PC a year ago... How is playing catch up the beginning?

charizard1605

It is also supposed to be about as powerful as the Wii U. People who expect a full generation leap from the next generation consoles visually speaking are idiots. We have reached a point of diminishing returns as far as hardware power and graphics with respect to economic and financial investment is concerned- the leap next generation will be modest at best, and the Wii U will be competitive enough to keep pace and retain all its third party support even after the 720 and PS4 release.

I would gladly pay $250-$300 for a weaker console than $400 to $500 for a much more powerful console.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
What's in a dev kit anyways? Is it just a copy of the system along with a license, or what?
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPJJwqIIFY

Avatar image for GreenFalcon5267
GreenFalcon5267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71 GreenFalcon5267
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts

Man, all I want is Metroid and F-Zero in HD

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
"Merely 20% less powerful." Nice spin, Charizard. :P I guess you're just used to generational power differences. This whole generation has been about 5% differences between console multiplats while undermining the differences between console and PC ports and 360/PS3 and Wii games. [spoiler] yeah, whatever. Wii U 4 life. [/spoiler]
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#73 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Give me a GC-like controller, and I'll be all over it.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Meinhard1
FYI: If WiiU = 5(Xbox360) and Xbox 720 = 1.2(WiiU) (i.e. 20 % more powerful) then, Xbox 720 = 6(Xbox 360) Obviously we don't really know how the systems will compare, graphically but based on the numbers 20% (which doesn't seem like a lot) is actually an entire Xbox 360s worth of an increase in power. I mean I don't really care and it probably still won't be super noticeable but I still though I'd point that out.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#75 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Who do we love? NINTENDO! Why do we love them? BECAUSE THEIR GAMES AREN'T CINEMATIC PIECES OF SH*T!!!

Yay Nintendo!!!!

lbjkurono23

So you turned in to one of them?... color me surprised.

Excuse me? Turned into what? I've always liked Nintendo's games. :|

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

I am so excited for this E3 !!! I'm just glad we can finally be on par with the latest multiplats and get some decent 3rd party support, while not having to be graphix whores like some people whom are so obsessed with that sh!t If I want the best of the best in graphix, I'll just stick with my PC for that. PC-U combo!

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 sandbox3d

I am so excited for this E3 !!! I'm just glad we can finally be on par with the latest multiplats and get some decent 3rd party support, while not having to be graphix whores like some people whom are so obsessed with that sh!t If I want the best of the best in graphix, I'll just stick with my PC for that. PC-U combo!

babycakin

Better graphics are always welcome, but its the controller that has my attention. I cant wait to see what developers come up with.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 babycakin

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

sandbox3d

Better graphics are always welcome, but its the controller that has my attention. I cant wait to see what developers come up with.

I totally agree with you. The bump in graphics that Nintendo is getting is just fine with me, its others who criticize it cause its only a bump and not a huge leap :!:

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

babycakin

I totally agree with you. The bump in graphics that Nintendo is getting is just fine with me, its others who criticize it cause its only a bump and not a huge leap :!:

Yeah, the days of these huge leaps are over for the foreseeable future. Unless console gens start going on 10 year cycles, or we start buying ridiculously expensive consoles lol.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 babycakin

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

Yeah, the days of these huge leaps are over for the foreseeable future. Unless console gens start going on 10 year cycles, or we start buying ridiculously expensive consoles lol.

Ya, and we saw how that went with the PS3. NO thank you :cry:

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#81 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

It is almost a ten year cycle though. Xbox 360 came out in 2005. There's no way the next Xbox will release this year and that'll be seven. If it releases next year for the holidays we'll have had an 8 year cycle. Even with that almost decade long run I really don't think we'll see a massive leap.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

sandbox3d

Not being a cynic, but I expect 95% of the games will just be using it as a quick inventory/menu/map/buttons.

I'm not really expecting 3rd party devs to devote an arm and leg for innovation using the Wii U tablet.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

nitekids2004

Not being a cynic, but I expect 95% of the games will just be using it as a quick inventory/menu/map/buttons.

I'm not really expecting 3rd party devs to devote an arm and leg for innovation using the Wii U tablet.

How would that be a bad thing? Sure they could use more innovative uses for it, but still, using a touch screen for map and inventory use isn't a bad idea if the games couldn't be taken any further.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

nitekids2004

I agree.

It will probably end up like the Wiimote in that regard. A few good shining examples of its use lost in an ocean of tacked on crap.

At least with the Wii-U, even if we don't see too many fresh ideas come out of it devs can still use it to improve upon what exists like the categories you already mentioned.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 babycakin

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

nintendoboy16

How would that be a bad thing? Sure they could use more innovative uses for it, but still, using a touch screen for map and inventory use isn't a bad idea if the games couldn't be taken any further.

I was also thinking the same thing. Sure, having an inventory/map etc on the screen is not really innovative but personal prefernce, if I can have the whole screen free of clutter/widgets and just use the tablet for menus/items etc., than I'll be pretty damn happy. BUT, that's not too say I wouldn't prefer a much more ideal use of the tablet screen.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="babycakin"]

NeonNinja

It is almost a ten year cycle though. Xbox 360 came out in 2005. There's no way the next Xbox will release this year and that'll be seven. If it releases next year for the holidays we'll have had an 8 year cycle. Even with that almost decade long run I really don't think we'll see a massive leap.

This is true. Going forward, I think it will be less about the hardware jumps and more about the talent of the artists and efficiency of the pipeline when it comes to that visual WOW factor.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#87 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

*tries to imagine Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, or a Zelda game with WiiU's supposed graphics*

Mother of God...

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 sandbox3d

*tries to imagine Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, or a Zelda game with WiiU's supposed graphics*

Mother of God...

DJ-Lafleur

Especially Metroid for me. I don't know why, but I feel that is the one Nintendo franchise that could really benefit from high fidelity graphics.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 babycakin

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

Mother of God...

sandbox3d

Especially Metroid for me. I don't know why, but I feel that is the one Nintendo franchise that could really benefit from high fidelity graphics.

Metroid and Star Fox. Nintendo, make this sh1t happen !!

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 nitekids2004

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

nintendoboy16

Not saying its bad. I welcome it actually.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

A Metroid Prime game with the graphics of that Zelda tech demo...

oh my god

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 sandbox3d

This thread is unusually quiet. Where are all the trolls?

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Next Gen begins when Sony says so, you know that!

mmmwksil

I'm afraid I have to correct you, it begins when Sony FANS decides it begins. They may try to kill next gen if PS4 is less powerful than the Wii U.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Meinhard1

Here's an image of Mario Galaxy in HD. ... and the Wii you could do way better than this.

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

WiiCubeM1

I'm afraid I have to correct you, it begins when Sony FANS decides it begins. They may try to kill next gen if PS4 is less powerful than the Wii U.

I can't wait util the ps4 specs are released, and it turns out it's not as powerful as everyone thought. :lol: By the cows logic, there would be no eighth gen.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

D4W1L4H

I can't wait util the ps4 specs are released, and it turns out it's not as powerful as everyone thought. :lol: By the cows logic, there would be no eighth gen.

I just wonder if Sonys gonna pull the same hype nonsense again. I'm no Sony hater, they've made my favorite console 3 gens running now, but damn do they over-hype their consoles capabilities lol.

Toy Story quality PS2 games? PS3 is a super computer that renders the PC useless while providing 1080p/120fps/4d experiences? :lol:

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Could it be true? I never thought we would see next gen any time soon! THANK YOU NINTENDO!

And the rumoured 720 is rumoured to use hardware that came out for PC a year ago... How is playing catch up the beginning?

DigitalExile
Consoles make the most of that power.
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

I remember everyone claiming that the next gen started with the 3DS.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="D4W1L4H"][QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

sandbox3d

I just wonder if Sonys gonna pull the same hype nonsense again. I'm no Sony hater, they've made my favorite console 3 gens running now, but damn do they over-hype their consoles capabilities lol.

Toy Story quality PS2 games? PS3 is a super computer that renders the PC useless while providing 1080p/120fps/4d experiences? :lol:

Just going by Sony's track record, I'm guessing the PS4 will be probably be more powerful than the Wii U or 720, but it's going to cost about the same as a mid range gaming PC. I'm looking at $800-$1200 to cover for hardware costs. Then games are going to be more difficult to develop for it, so the times between major games is going to be 2-3 years at best, and to fill in the wait is going to be shovelware and casual titles that are easier to develop, leading to an insurge of casual titles causing the PS4 to be a less dramatic version of what people think the Wii was this gen, good first party games, but a lot of casual titles making quality titles hard to find. This will lead Sony to lower the price on the console after some time has gone buy, and they will either start selling he console at a loss like they did with the PS3 or they will lower the hardware demands of their games, leading to PS3 era graphics and framerates, and whatever else is affected by hardware limitations. Either way, I'm guessing the PS4 will be in dead last again.

All in all, they will just be buying another overpriced PS3.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="D4W1L4H"] I can't wait util the ps4 specs are released, and it turns out it's not as powerful as everyone thought. :lol: By the cows logic, there would be no eighth gen.WiiCubeM1

Just going by Sony's track record, I'm guessing the PS4 will be probably be more powerful than the Wii U or 720, but it's going to cost about the same as a mid range gaming PC. I'm looking at $800-$1200 to cover for hardware costs. Then games are going to be more difficult to develop for it, so the times between major games is going to be 2-3 years at best, and to fill in the wait is going to be shovelware and casual titles that are easier to develop, leading to an insurge of casual titles causing the PS4 to be a less dramatic version of what people think the Wii was this gen, good first party games, but a lot of casual titles making quality titles hard to find. This will lead Sony to lower the price on the console after some time has gone buy, and they will either start selling he console at a loss like they did with the PS3 or they will lower the hardware demands of their games, leading to PS3 era graphics and framerates, and whatever else is affected by hardware limitations. Either way, I'm guessing the PS4 will be in dead last again.

All in all, they will just be buying another overpriced PS3.

All possible, but who knows really?

I think this upcoming gen will be tough to predict. A lot has changed in the gaming landscape. A lot of hard lessons were learned from this current gen. The same "leadership" that lead Sony down such a tough path with the PS3 is no longer around. There is probably a strong temptation to emulate the Wii success I'm sure. Then again, the things that ran up the PS3 price so much are now cost effective. Blu Ray isnt insanely expensive anymore. Developers understand Cell development now and I'm sure the manufacturing costs would be much less. Maybe Sony can afford to put out a somewhat powerful console at a reasonable price? Maybe they will fumble again?

I can safely say I have no idea what route Sony, or MS plan on pursuing lol.