SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendos-president-says-it-wont-join-the-games-industry-acquisition-arms-race/

With the industry going through a period of consolidation, Furukawa touched on the topic of acquisitions on Thursday following the publication of Nintendo’s latest financial results.

“Our brand was built upon products crafted with dedication by our employees, and having a large number of people who don’t possess Nintendo DNA in our group would not be a plus to the company,” he said (via Bloomberg).

Furukawa’s comments echo those he made in November, when he said the company was primarily focused on organic growth in order “to continue Nintendo’s creative culture”, but that he was “not dismissing” the possibility of acquiring other game companies.

I mean, anyone really surprised by this? Not a whole lot of companies that would fit into the Nintendo mold.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

Maybe PlatinumGames but thats about it

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44138 Posts

Well nothing wrong with that. Not terribly surprising that they would feel that way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

The only company that grows organically unlike the other two that buys their talent.😎

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@mysticaldonut: I hope not lol. I miss when they were with Sega and had free reign to be as crazy as they wanted to be. I feel like Nintendo would try to pull them back especially for their audience.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Nintendo can and has made acquisitions. I think what they mean is they're not following the trend because of what others are doing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

They can do it better themselves, and they know it.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Not surprising, I never expected Nintendo to go on a spree like the other two. But I definitely expect them to be buying some studios and perhaps a bit more than usual given the open shit-season we're having.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

Unlike sony, who panics, has emergency meetings, cried to MS about the AB acquisition and begged for COD to remain multiplat, nintendo simply doesn't care. People buy their games regardless. Even when they only had 13 million wii u sold, people still went out and paid full price for their nintendo games.

Actually, nintendo would probably start to panic a bit if MS or someone else bought Sega, Capcom, and square. Heck, even MS is one of the biggest publishers on the switch, with more than 3 million units of minecraft sold. As long as these companies keep releasing their games on the switch, nintendo doesn't care about the other acquisitions. Which is why they're probably also a bit nervous over the current situation and watching things play out carefully. If one of their main publishers gets bought out, they will definitely negotiate something.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Expand the studios you have right now and create new one is much cheaper than buying new studios

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

If im a gaming studio im teaming with nintendo switch is perfect id stop all games for the other consoles or pc

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Sounds a little racist.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

Cause Nintendo is the best

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Herman Hulst from Sony said the same thing in 2020 after Bethesda acquisition.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Nintendo already has the top selling next gen console sold purely on the appeal of their own in-house exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash, Pokemon, etc. Honestly the reason M$ and Sony are trying so hard to buy other studios is because they just don't have the creative talent to do much with what they already have. Microsoft and Sony both sit atop a literal **** ton of big name IPs they've done nothing with. They don't want to buy studios to acquire their games so much as they want to buy studios to eliminate them as competition to their own poorly made garbage.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22658 Posts

Nintendo gonna always Nintendo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Xbox does what Nintendont. :P

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlessedbyHorus
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

They're only saying this because they can't afford to this do and stopped competing with Sony/MS since the Wii.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

@blessedbyhorus said:

They're only saying this because they can't afford to this do and stopped competing with Sony/MS since the Wii.

Imagine Nintendo instead of Sony bought Bungie and forced them to make Splatoon 4 lol

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@blessedbyhorus: You don't think Nintendo has enough money lol, that's cute.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

In other words, they are probably gonna acquire either Monolith Soft later on this year.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1233 Posts

No need for them to grow when they can resell their old games for $60

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Do they grow organically?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

Their development capacity seems pretty shot at the moment. i mean they probably don't need to be buying big devs but expansion definitely needs to be looked at. they put out Metroid Dread last year...then what? has covid absolutely whacked their ability to make games?

though the switch has so much momentum just with its current catalogue that maybe they don't need to make any more games for it :P.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Good on them for not falling into this acquisition fad but maybe release more than a couple first-party games every year please?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nintendo says 'meh' to a lot of things.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlessedbyHorus
Member since 2010 • 189 Posts

@vfighter said:

@blessedbyhorus: You don't think Nintendo has enough money lol, that's cute.

Not compared to Sony or Microsoft.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38801 Posts

The only reason they're saying this is because the Switch is super successful. If their next system launches and its another GC, or worse, a WiiU, they wouldn't be "meh'ing" around.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

@jaydan said:

Nintendo can and has made acquisitions. I think what they mean is they're not following the trend because of what others are doing.

This.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I mean, they make dumptrucks full of money without needing to buy studios, sooooo...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Litchie said:

They can do it better themselves, and they know it.

This. Unless a company comes along that does fit the Nintendo mold, such as Next Level Games most recently, then they are much better focusing on spending $$ growing their in-house studios. Sounds good to me!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

Day 4593 of waiting for Nintendo to get purchased by Microsoft or Apple so we can play BOTW1/2 and other Ninty games on hardware from the 21st century.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

The only reason they're saying this is because the Switch is super successful. If their next system launches and its another GC, or worse, a WiiU, they wouldn't be "meh'ing" around.

Yes, they most probably would. When Nintendo makes a failing system, they make another one faster than they would've otherwise and tries again. They probably have enough dough to do that a hundred times more before they need to change.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Nintendo doesn't really buy up studios like that. The only studios that I'm aware of that they bought was Next Level Games and Monolith Soft. Take in mind, Next Level Games outright said at one point that they were exclusively making Nintendo games, even before Nintendo bought them. Nintendo likely just bought them for security purposes or something, much like Sony with Insomniac.

@Mozelleple112 said:

Day 4593 of waiting for Nintendo to get purchased by Microsoft or Apple so we can play BOTW1/2 and other Ninty games on hardware from the 21st century.

Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo during their GameCube era, and Nintendo said no.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

I heard you can play these games on Microsoft Windows.😮

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

They weren't buying studios like that. Big difference.

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

Nintendo doesn't really buy up studios like that. The only studios that I'm aware of that they bought was Next Level Games and Monolith Soft. Take in mind, Next Level Games outright said at one point that they were exclusively making Nintendo games, even before Nintendo bought them. Nintendo likely just bought them for security purposes or something, much like Sony with Insomniac.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@Pedro: Yeah I heard of CEMU lol. I was hoping it would work on my M1 Macbook but I have heard nothing but problems from bigger nerds than me. Still would be nice for official support.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

I mean, even during the GameCube era and the GameCube era, they weren't really buying studios like that. Why would they aggressively pursue them in the future?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

I mean, even during the GameCube era and the GameCube era, they weren't really buying studios like that. Why would they aggressively pursue them in the future?

Because as soon as actual competition hit their mobile market, they'll be far from doing as well as they're doing now.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@luxuryheart said:
@hardwenzen said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo during their GameCube era, and Nintendo said no.

That was actually MS's first attempt to get into console gaming if I'm correct; the deal flopped in 1999. Looks like they are still trying to grow the same way. As you said, Nintendo doesn't do that, and they never really needed to outside of the few purchases of studios that made basically just Nintendo games.