Nintendo says it isn’t concerned about PS5 and Xbox Series X launches

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Nintendo says it isn’t concerned about PS5 and Xbox Series X launches (57 votes)

I agree 74%
I disagree 26%

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendo-says-it-isnt-concerned-about-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-launches/

“We will explain the specific figures for the next fiscal year in our next fiscal year announcement, but I think there will certainly be a change in the environment as new products of our competitors appear,” Furukawa said.

He added that because he believes the target audiences of Nintendo Switch and its competitors will be different, “we do not believe that the business trends of other companies will have a significant impact on our business.”

Do you think he's right, or that he's completely off-base and that Switch will die this year?

• 
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19923 Posts

Switch is not really a direct competitor with PS/Xbox nowadays... so he's right. Nintendo will announce some big games for the end of the year I'm sure to boost sales when XSX/PS5 launches.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3660 Posts

While some of the bases cross over on game forums like this one, most of the people who buy those systems do not.

Plus all Nintendo has to do is release a Switch Pro or some other new iteration of the system and some new games and sales will keep chuggin'.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15229 Posts

I don't think it'll have a significant impact either. Anybody who thinks the Switch is about to die has clearly not been paying attention to the last 3 years.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8917 Posts

Switch will be the secondary to Playstation going into next gen. I have no plans to buy another Nintendo so they better keep the games coming for it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7439 Posts

Considering the majority of gamers on Switch only there to play 1st party titles, no concern to Nintendo. PS5 and Xbox will have to fight for 3rd party dominance.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29769 Posts

I’d say that he’s mostly right. There probably will be some impact but I don’t think that it’ll be too significant.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7163 Posts

Remember, this is exactly what they said about Wii-U. So Nintendo really are pretty clueless about such things. They would literally say exact same line whether Switch was bombing with <10 million sales or whether it's the relative success that it is.

That being said, as this is now basically Nintendo's handheld console the statement is probably correct. The handheld is a bit of a separate niche still, there's some sales baked in as a handheld. Whether Switch continues selling probably has more to do with them pumping out some more games. Switch has actually been disappointing on the "exclusives" front, maybe not as bad as the droughts on Wii or Wii-U, but considering it's supposed to represent both handheld AND console, I thought there would be more. I could see it slowing down a bit unless Nintendo starts picking things up a bit more on the games side.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 15306 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Switch is not really a direct competitor with PS/Xbox nowadays... so he's right. Nintendo will announce some big games for the end of the year I'm sure to boost sales when XSX/PS5 launches.

How so? I mean MS/Nintendo/Sony's main purpose is to sell as many gaming units as possible to then sell as much software as possible on those units, is Nintendo doing something different to that?

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 I_P_Daily

If Nintendo say they're not worried then they're lying through their teeth, of course you're going to worry what a new generation of consoles will do to your one that's currently on the market.

And if anyone doesn't think the sales of the Switch will dip are delusional AF. The only question will be is by how much.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5849 Posts

Nintendo knows that SONY and MS compete mostly against each other. Nintendo is the consummate side chick, but that's ok.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5561 Posts

Nintendo has such a strong first party catalogue and titles that are sales juggernauts. What the other two do will have little impact on what they do/have been doing.

Unless next gen consoles do something that is really game-changing (they won't), takes the world by storm, and something Nintendo can't replicate in a short time, they will be fine.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01

@i_p_daily: Because they're different machines mate... Switch is a hybrid console. It isn't trying to compete in the graphical power department.

I mean look at how awesome Switch is selling.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5346 Posts

Nintendo since the Wii figured out that there's no point in playing Sony's game. They were the first to understand that the homogeneity in the console space was killing everyone but Sony. Plus they rule the portable market, if they keep the hybrid approach they should be fine. Of course they'll update their hardware eventually as everyone else.

Leading in game design saves them trowing millions at shiny graphics and expensive hardware. And the strength of their IPs is unmatched.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I_P_Daily

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@i_p_daily: Because they're different machines mate... Switch is a hybrid console. It isn't trying to compete in the graphical power department.

I mean look at how awesome Switch is selling.

The last time I went to EB there was Xbox's, PS4's and Switch's all on the shelf competing for the same consumer dollar, so if someone walks into a store and buys a Switch and then leaves its then taking sales away from MS/Sony so it is a direct competitor and graphical power is has nothing to do with it.

That's my take on it anyway.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_P_Daily

@phbz said:

Nintendo since the Wii figured out that there's no point in playing Sony's game. They were the first to understand that the homogeneity in the console space was killing everyone but Sony. Plus they rule the portable market, if they keep the hybrid approach they should be fine. Of course they'll update their hardware eventually as everyone else.

Leading in game design saves them trowing millions at shiny graphics and expensive hardware. And the strength of their IPs is unmatched.

And yet I can get a XB1 S, 1TB with Fallen Order for $269, and a Switch Lite with no games is $290 and the Original Switch is close to $399 so I have no idea where they sell cheaply thus not being expensive hardware lol.

All that money for a tiny screen that you can watch while on the bus.

As for their IP's well their not my cup of tea, so they don't match up well for me as the only game I would be interested in from Nintendo would be Zelda.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 phbz

@i_p_daily: You are mixing things up. I'm talking from the business side, not consumer. That's exactly Nintendo's strength, they can deliver products that costs them less at similar prices of their competition. By simultaneously not overlapping completely with their competitors with their different hardware approach and quality games.

And arguments like "nostalgia Google's" or "fanboys" alone do not justified. After the Wii U we know that hardcore Nintendo fans sit at around 10mil, they still have to deliver something.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41211 Posts

Nintendo ever since the Wii, they have always been doing their own thing, they left competing with Sony/MS awhile back during Wii era, so they aren't competing with the likes of PS4/Xbox One & next-gen consoles. Anyone can tell the Switch is far different then both the twins (PS4/Xbox One) and Nintendo knows it's fans will buy their consoles to play their 1st-party exclusives. That said, Nintendo is totally spot on, they aren't going to compete with PS5/XSX, they know who their fan base is and will be okay once next-gen starts rolling-in.

For better or worst, I'm so glad Nintendo stop competing with the twins and still maintain innovation in gaming.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41211 Posts

@i_p_daily: Back during N64/Gamecube era, Nintendo tried to compete & they just failed at it. The Switch is marketed as a toy for kids, younger adults like me and PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series X are marketed to core gamers. Nintendo Switch will be fine because it primarily targets a different demographic. But their is one exception to this rule, the number of 3rd-party releases will definitely decrease. The Switch will not be able to run every game the next-gen consoles get and for that reason, Nintendo's only straight is 1st-party exclusives.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phbz

@davillain-: Except indies play a grater role and will continue to do so, I believe. A mix of excellent indies doesn't solved the lack of big AAA titles but it does greatly extend 3rd party support on the system. I don't know exactly what the overall impact is but at least in my case a big chunk of my games on the Switch are smaller games and portability makes it my system of choice, even if they also come out in other system. Even if I end up using it mostly docked having the option feels great.

We are past the point where indies were just cute palate cleansers. Hollow Knight for instance took me around 50h to beat it and frankly I put it above most AAAs, even AAAs I've enjoyed like God of War.

I think Switch numbers are way above Nintendo's core market.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25513 Posts

Nintendo isn't pursuing the PS/Xbox gamers. If they would, they'd make a powerful console and focus more on 3rd party.

So yeah, he's right. Doesn't really matter what Sony or MS does, unless they aren't straight up copying Nintendo and do what N does, but better.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 38117 Posts

All me gots to say is things change and change is looming.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 11244 Posts

Handhelds don’t compete with consoles.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2518 Posts

I guess that Xbox and Playstation's target audience is different compared to Nintendo.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6022 Posts

Don't rightly care.

The community has always been able to pick up the slack from Nintendo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 35566 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Handhelds don’t compete with consoles.

Yep, "N" couldn't compete with the big boys and got out of the console biz. Getting these enablers to refer to it as a console is probably the biggest false narrative ever perpetrated here and that's really saying something. If Switch wasn't a mobile device it would be failing worse than the Wii U. lol :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01

@i_p_daily: Yeah you're right to an extent. But many people own a Switch as well as another system too.

It'll be interesting to see anyway.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 331 Posts

Well, given that I believe Nintendo used the Wii U as a beta test for the Switch, I don't see the Wii U's failure (If you could call it that in this case,) in the same light.

Nintendo can release about two or three games for each franchise over the course of five or six years, wait until battery technology breaks through for better yet affordable rechargeable batteries, and then come out with the next version of the Switch. Third party and indies will cover the rest during that time.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 13906 Posts

Nintendo is in its own league right now. They shouldn't be bothered.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29140 Posts

@techhog89: Switch has a different form factor.

https://www.businessinsider.com/alienware-concept-ufo-nintendo-switch-pc-gaming-2020-1

Dell has stated UFO concept run with Intel 10th Gen APU which rivals mobile Ryzen 3000 APU series Vega 8/10 IGP. AMD later countered Intel 10th Gen IGP with mobile Ryzen 4000 APU series (with 58 percent faster refined Vega IGP).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts

I cannot wait to see true next gen titles being ported to the Switch. When Nintendo see's how much of an abomination the ports on their system are, we will see about their not being worried.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 6020 Posts

The Switch needs to be concerned people are gonna forget about the switch when the ps5/xbxs launch with some big hitting good looking games, and devs won't be able to do the same ports anymore onto the switch. Its gonna be a double whammy of people liking the new shiny graphics and devs unable to port to switch.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 3864 Posts

@ronvalencia: How do you always forget to put your argument in your posts?

Either way, that thing won't affect Switch at all. It'll cost 3-5x as much, and if GPD Win didn't complete, it's a joke to believe that will.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Techhog89

@ProtossRushX: Is Switch selling because of ports though? If not, how would losing them kill it?

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3660 Posts

@ronvalencia: lol... that 'original' device won't sell a quarter of what Switch sells.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25513 Posts

@techhog89 said:

@ProtossRushX: Is Switch selling because of ports though? If not, how would losing them kill it?

Yeah, I doubt people buy Switch ports in vast numbers, unless they're Nintendo's own (like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). 3rd party devs probably see their Switch port as a small, but good bonus to their earnings from the platforms they focus on.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18630 Posts

An already profitable system that sells like hot cakes and isn't even close to tapping its potential for new and remastered games...

VS.

Brand new consoles that will have a library that can also be played on last gen consoles at a premium price?

Nintendo is sitting real pretty. They offer an experience that Sony and Microsoft don't.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@TheEroica said:

An already profitable system that sells like hot cakes and isn't even close to tapping its potential for new and remastered games...

VS.

Brand new consoles that will have a library that can also be played on last gen consoles at a premium price?

Nintendo is sitting real pretty. They offer an experience that Sony and Microsoft don't.

What experience they offer that Sony and Microsoft don't?

I also find it interesting that the same people who claim current gen PS4 and Xbox One are holding back gaming but ignore the existence of the Switch.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18630 Posts

@Pedro: the switch isn't holding anything back. It's making gaming better. It has a great library, great support and it offers gaming on a different level than Xbox and ps4.

The switch also has the best open world game ever made, possibly the best platformer this generation, great games in all genres and its still not even tapped out.

If by "holding back gaming" you're referring to performance, ok... If that's your thing. Performance does not equate to great games though. Never has, never will. It'll always be about the humans making the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pedro

@TheEroica said:

@Pedro: the switch isn't holding anything back. It's making gaming better. It has a great library, great support and it offers gaming on a different level than Xbox and ps4.

The switch also has the best open world game ever made, possibly the best platformer this generation, great games in all genres and its still not even tapped out.

If by "holding back gaming" you're referring to performance, ok... If that's your thing. Performance does not equate to great games though. Never has, never will. It'll always be about the humans making the game.

You say the Switch is making gaming better but it sports the worst version of multi-platform games. How is it making gaming better?

You said the Switch offers something different from Sony and MS but you didn't state what is the something that is different. You said if offers a different experience and you didn't state what is the different experience.

With regard to best open world game ever made and best platformer these all just opinions that I really don't see the benefit of venturing into an opinion "war".

Also I never stated that performance was "my thing". I pointed out that the people who claim that gaming is being held back by PS4 and Xbox One because of their performance conveniently ignore the Switch.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:

@ronvalencia: How do you always forget to put your argument in your posts?

Either way, that thing won't affect Switch at all. It'll cost 3-5x as much, and if GPD Win didn't complete, it's a joke to believe that will.

GPD Win 2's Intel 615 IGP is inferior to GeForce 920M which is similar to Switch's IGP.

GDP Win 2's IGP has inferior "bang per buck" when compared to Switch's IGP. Intel Icelake IGP beats GeForce 920M.

Major gaming competitor for Nintendo Switch comes from Intel Icelake 2-in-1 tablet/laptops.

Dell's UFO concept is just of many incoming Intel Icelake 2-in-1 devices.

GPD needs to move into Intel's mobile Icelake IGP or mobile Ryzen 4000 IGPs ASAP.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ronvalencia
@briguyb13 said:

@ronvalencia: lol... that 'original' device won't sell a quarter of what Switch sells.

Based on Intel Coffeelake sales, Intel Icelake 2-in-1 tablets/laptops sales pace is superior to Switch.

Intel Icelake IGP rivals and beats mobile Ryzen 2000/3000 series Vega 8/10 which is near XBO level IGP. AMD needs mobile Ryzen 4000 series Vega IGP(with 58 percent improvement) to counter Intel Icelake.

GeForce 920M (Switch level IGP) is pointless when there's mobile Ryzen 2000/3000 series Vega 8/10, Intel Icelake IGP and mobile Ryzen 4000 series Vega IGP(with 58 percent improvement).

MS needs to port XBO dashboard into Windows 10 based PCs.

Intel mobile Icelake IGP is approaching XBO level GPU. Intel mobile Icelake IGP improves PC IGP fleet baseline.

Renewed competition between AMD and Intel in ultra-mobile SOC keeps the mobile PC market healthy.

LOL indeed.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#42 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11591 Posts

X1 and PS4 are already way better than the Switch. Increasing the gap with the next-gen consoles isn't going to make a difference. Sheep will follow Ninty no matter what.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ronvalencia

@Ghost120x said:

Nintendo has such a strong first party catalogue and titles that are sales juggernauts. What the other two do will have little impact on what they do/have been doing.

Unless next gen consoles do something that is really game-changing (they won't), takes the world by storm, and something Nintendo can't replicate in a short time, they will be fine.

Microsoft already has mobile gaming via PC's 2-in-1 ultra-mobile devices with Intel Icelake SOC. Intel Icelake is important to improve the PC mobile IGP baseline.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6392 Posts

Hmm. Hard to say. I am always scared that Nintendo's specs/tech fall too far behind and that get no 3rd party stuff. But, the Switch has done a good job porting some older/popular games to the handheld market. (Souls, Witcher, Skyrim, etc). We'll see.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 8878 Posts

switch its very overrated console like wii but i agree with Nintendo sell same crazy good this year

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89

@ronvalencia: So, basically your argument is there will eventually be enough 2-in-1 laptops and such that Switch will become irrelevant and die?

... Uh-huh. Good luck with that one. You really have no clue why Switch is successful in the first place lmao

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia

@techhog89 said:

@ronvalencia: So, basically your argument is there will eventually be enough 2-in-1 laptops and such that Switch will become irrelevant and die?

... Uh-huh. Good luck with that one. You really have no clue why Switch is successful in the first place lmao

Read https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-06-nintendo-may-move-away-from-home-console-development-says-company-president

"We aren't really fixated on our consoles," Furukawa told Nikkei (via, and translated by, Nintendo Everything). "At the moment we're offering the uniquely developed Nintendo Switch and its software - and that's what we're basing how we deliver the 'Nintendo experience' on. That being said, technology changes. We'll continue to think flexibly about how to deliver that experience as time goes on.

As long Switch offers good value for its gaming segment, then it would survive.

Don't expect GDP Win 2 to succeed when it's Intel 615 IGP performance(along with clone PC vendors using this garbage IGP) is worst than GeForce 920M i.e. where's the value with higher cost and inferior performance Intel 615 IGP?

PC mobile vendors should move towards Intel Icelake U or mobile Ryzen 4000U series ASAP.

AMD's mobile Ryzen U series APUs have supply issues worse than Intel's Icelake.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3761 Posts

So how well did the Wii U fare when the PS4 and Xbox One came out? If Nintendo wants to break the pattern of getting overwhelmed every console generation, I think they'll want to make a future-proof console that can run PS5 games at a native 4K resolution on PC ultra settings. Depending on the target FPS, a console as powerful as I described should be able to run 1080p30 PS6 games at 720p or 600p for 60FPS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e58917563ba3
deactivated-5e58917563ba3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5e58917563ba3
Member since 2020 • 82 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I think Nintendo being a competitor in a hardware level was last seen with the Gamecube, but Nintendo are still a very big competitor.