Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

The Tegra X1 is quite literally the best possible hardware Nintendo could have chosen for the Switch. Sure, it is underclocked, but it does provide many benefits over other options for SoCs.

The Tegra X1 has 256 "Maxwell 2" GPU cores, but offers a feature not found on desktop Maxwell GPUs; double speed FP16 support. The Switch has a 2X performance boost when executing FP16 code, this is a modern trick GPUs are starting to use now. The PS4 and Xbox One don't have this feature (but the Pro and Scorpio support double rate FP16).

Unreal Engine 4 was written to make extensive use of FP16. It is used in ALL of their shaders, for example. This is why Snake Pass was ported so quickly to the Switch and performs and looks favorably well against the PS4 version. I am by no means saying that the Switch is anywhere close to the raw throughput of the PS4, but the more modern GPU architecture helps put out impressive results with less effort, thanks to Nvidia's tools.

Sure, we have the immensely powerful Apple A9X, whose CPU cores easily outclasses the ARM A57/A53 big-little configuration found in the X1, but the graphics capabilities of the Tegra X1 make more sense in a game console. The software tools Nvidia is providing to Nintendo is a great asset for developers. This combination of hardware combined with powerful software tools is something Nintendo couldn't have done on their own.

But the PS4 and Xbox One are so much more powerful.

The Switch is a tablet. No desktop grade hardware would make sense in this form factor. The X1 is the best choice for this application.

What about the Tegra X2?

The X2 wasn't ready at the time the Switch went into production. Nvidia's own 2017 Shield TV is still shipping with the X1 chip inside. And the wait wouldn't have been worth it. The performance increase wouldn't have been that large. I'd expect a hardware refresh with the X2 sometime within the next 3 years, though.

What about developing their own SoC?

This would have cost Nintendo tons in R&D and the product wouldn't be as robust as Nvidia's Maxwell 2 architecture and software tools. Developing a modern SoC (something Nintendo has never done) would take tons of time and would increase the cost of the console immensely.

If you aren't convinced, Fast RMX is a great technical demonstration for the Switch. It runs in 900p/1080p (dynamic) at 60FPS with dynamic lighting (light scattering), physically based rendering (PBR) and post processing effects.

Digital Foundry: Fast RMX Analysis

In my view, Nintendo nailed it with the hardware in the Switch. I am excited to see more modern engines such as UE4 take advantage of it.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

My phone is more powerful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Yes, given the concept they did make very smart choices.

However, it remains to be seen if those choices turn into support. I think the Wii U showed that concept alone can't carry a system.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rikusaki

@Evo_nine said:

My phone is more powerful.

If it's the iPhone 7, then the CPU is faster, but the GPU isn't. The X1 outperforms the PowerVR GT7600 in 3D Mark 2013 and would perform even worse in UE4 due to the lack of modern GPU features such as double rate FP16. Nvidia is way ahead of everyone else in this regard.

Also the fact that the Switch doesn't have the overhead that comes with iOS and Android, developers can take more advantage of the hardware.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Maybe battery life would have benefited from the newer pascal X2.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

for what nintendo set out to do it is the best choice they had available to them. the X2 would have been better but it would have meant we would still be waiting for the switch more than likely. its focused more on GPU performance which is where the focus should be for a gaming device. its also very dev friendly and is very much a known quantity.

the hardware also gives them a great degree of flexability in the devices they can make. they can still use it in a more traditional home console format. by adding GSM equipment they could make a phone version. or, with a die shrink or 2, they could make a smaller device. its also very scalable so its a platform that should still be good enough for nintendo for a long time.

at the same time though lets not be under any illusions. AAA multiplat 3rd party support is gone. they are not going to port to the switch. its grand for AA, indie and nintendos own developers but its a selection of hardware made by nintendo for the requirements of nintendo only.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

The Switch is plenty powerful enough and you get brilliant games you can't find elsewhere. I never played a Wii U game and thought it was ugly (seriously go play Mario Kart, paper Mario, wind waker remake, Donkey Kong Tropical freeze etc). The Switch is even more powerful than that, has UE4 support finally and is building enough popularity where more third party support will happen :) nice post btw, I do enjoy teck talk like this. Will it get the latest call of duty or whatever other FPS is popular these days? Prob not and I personally could not care less (find those games boring personally). I did not know about that double performance boost! I haz new knowledge now

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Well said, Nintendo made a very smart decision with the hardware. Good right up, its rare in system wars.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

I'm just not seeing it. As usual, Nintendo made a terrible decision by going with a risc chip when the competition went x86. Now developers are faced with easy porting of software between the Xbox one and PS4, and potentially much more work on the switch with a different architecture and far fewer resources. What Nintendo should have done is put an Intel chip in the thing.

I get that Nintendo fans get excited, but this was a horrible decision that is once again going to bite Nintendo in the ass. This is basically the Wii u 2 and it's entirely too large to use as a portable handheld that will replace the 3ds.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713

@tjandmia: Switch Mini will replace 3DS. And porting is easy, indie developers do it all the time with no issues. If you cant port...well, get gud.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Seems like a solid $179.99 in 2017 machine to me. lol :P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Rikusaki:

Double rate Fp16 feature is nice, but the GFLOPS boost must be backed by memory bandwidth.

Qualcomm Snapdragon's Adreno 4xx GPU supports native FP16 with double rate features (reference doc no. 80-NU141-1 B, PAGE 152)

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iandizion713

@ronvalencia: Snapdragon sucks, get an Apple.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia

@iandizion713 said:

@ronvalencia: Snapdragon sucks, get an Apple.

Apple smashes double gimped TX1 i.e. it's slower than Google Pixel C.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Google+Pixel+C/review

Ice Storm Unlimited's graphics score is 52536 at 850 Mhz.

Switch's GPU specs.

Available CPU SpeedsAvailable GPU SpeedsAvailable Memory Controller Speeds
Undocked1020MHz307.2MHz/384MHz1331.2MHz
Docked1020MHz307.2MHz/384MHz/768MHz**1331.2MHz/1600MHz

At 384 Mhz handheld mode, it's 45 percent Pixel C's 850 Mhz tablet mode.

**Increased to 921 MHz in dock mode.

Ice Storm Unlimited's graphics score estimate is 23733 at handheld mode.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iandizion713

@ronvalencia: Cause Apple the best. Apple smashes everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@iandizion713: Nintendo and Apple fanboy, classic. Getting shitted on once is one thing, twice is unheard of.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ronvalencia

@iandizion713 said:

@ronvalencia: Cause Apple the best. Apple smashes everything.

At 384 Mhz handheld mode, it's about 45 percent from Pixel C's 850 Mhz tablet mode. Note why no mobile phone vendor has selected TX1 SoC.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iandizion713

@ronvalencia: Cause none focus only on gaming, duh.

aaalgoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aaalgoh
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@iandizion713:

Yes and I wonder why is it still so hard for people to understand this common fact by now. Phone multi task for many other things.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nintendo may have picked the best possible hardware for the Switch...sadly they went & decrease its performance....its obvious they had to do that in handheld...but in docked mode also?. :P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@iandizion713 said:

@ronvalencia: Cause none focus only on gaming, duh.

That alone doesn't change CPU/GPU hardware capability.

Nvidia has value added services that Nintendo wanted i.e. good software engineering support from SoC vendor. Qualcomm is worst than AMD on software engineering support.

http://me.ign.com/en/nintendo-switch/126680/news/nvidia-ceo-calls-nintendo-switch-design-ground-breaking

Quoting dear leader Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang

“However, the other factor is whether we could really make a contribution or not. If a particular game console doesn’t require our special skills, what we can uniquely bring, then it’s a commodity business that may not be suited for us.”

Phone vendors with 3rd party SoCs, just rolls out Google's Android based phones, hence they are not interested with Nvidia's value added services.

Both MS and Sony has their own software engineering support teams which doesn't require Nvidia's value added services.

As shown from Scorpio, MS has the software engineering teams to guide AMD towards optimized hardware for existing XBO D3D12 software.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ronvalencia

@superbuuman said:

Nintendo may have picked the best possible hardware for the Switch...sadly they went & decrease its performance....its obvious they had to do that in handheld...but in docked mode also?. :P

Nintendo has released overclock firmware update which increase the dock mode clock speed from 768 Mhz to 921 MHz i.e. it's very close to Shield TV's 1Ghz.

Switch has 472 GFLOPS Fp32 and 944 GFLOPS Fp16 over 25 GB/s memory bandwidth. Maxwell V2 DCC may increase effective bandwidth to 38 GB/s.

DCC = delta memory compression.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

At 384 Mhz handheld mode, it's about 45 percent from Pixel C's 850 Mhz tablet mode. Note why no mobile phone vendor has selected TX1 SoC.

This is a smart post and the words in bold are a red flag.

I'm sorry TC but Nintendo probably picked the worst possible hardware for the Switch. I'm sorry.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

should have just made a normal console with normal hardware

instead we got an underpowered and over priced "handheld" with laughable battery life

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia

@GameboyTroy said:
@ronvalencia said:

This is a smart post and the words in bold is a red flag.

I'm sorry TC but Nintendo probably picked the worst possible hardware for the Switch. I'm sorry.

Qualcomm has software engineering support worst than AMD. Qualcomm doesn't have Gameworks + Nvidia engineer to make life easier for the game programmer.

Read http://me.ign.com/en/nintendo-switch/126680/news/nvidia-ceo-calls-nintendo-switch-design-ground-breaking

You have Nvidia software engineers helping Nintendo's creative teams. Qualcomm... it's another AMD style commodity hardware vendor.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iandizion713

@GameboyTroy said:
@ronvalencia said:

This is a smart post and the words in bold is a red flag.

Nintendo picked the best available for the price. TC is right, Nintendo made a genius pick. Its perfect for gaming.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

If this is the best they could have picked up. Lets just say their bar was low.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 iandizion713

@silversix_: Show us a better one then.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@silversix_: Show us a better one then.

I ain't showing anything to you. Cuz even if i prove you wrong, you'll come up with 'specs don't matter anyways' or something similar. Remember, powerful specs lead to great graphics, and we all know how much of a gimmick graphics are.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iandizion713

@silversix_: Sounds good to me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

should have just made a normal console with normal hardware

instead we got an underpowered and over priced "handheld" with laughable battery life

this

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjandmia

Nintendo basically made the wiiu 2 and used hardware completely different from what industry developers are using. Once again, it made the dumbest mistake they possibly could. It's getting to the point where even die hard Nintendo fans are starting to realize that Nintendo doesn't have a clue what is doing. The switch is going to be just as much a disaster as the wiiu was. Sad.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ronvalencia

@xboxiphoneps3 said:

@ronvalencia: when did they release the overclock update to 921 mhz? Curious

Read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-new-performance-mode-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent.

Sorry, it's another digital foundry link.

Programmers can select 384 MHz or 307.2 MHz in handheld mode. 384 MHz increases battery consumption battery.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronvalencia

@xboxiphoneps3 said:

Nintendo should of got the X1 ported to 14nm finFET at least, but not bad

Samsung, Intel and GoFlo has 14 nm FinFET tech.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@tjandmia said:

Nintendo basically made the wiiu 2 and used hardware completely different from what industry developers are using. Once again, it made the dumbest mistake they possibly could. It's getting to the point where even die hard Nintendo fans are starting to realize that Nintendo doesn't have a clue what is doing. The switch is going to be just as much a disaster as the wiiu was. Sad.

Nice crystal ball you have their! Too bad it's selling better than the Wii U

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjandmia

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@tjandmia said:

Nice crystal ball you have their! Too bad it's selling better than the Wii Uw

The WiiU is nowhere to be found in stores and the only thing selling it is Zelda. When that dies down, the switch in in trouble.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@tjandmia said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@tjandmia said:

Nice crystal ball you have their! Too bad it's selling better than the Wii Uw

The WiiU is nowhere to be found in stores and the only thing selling it is Zelda. When that dies down, the switch in in trouble.

LOL!

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tjandmia

@FireEmblem_Man: I remember Nintendo fans reacting the same way when we told them the WiiU was going to fail. After its first year, they accepted it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FireEmblem_Man

@tjandmia said:

@FireEmblem_Man: I remember Nintendo fans reacting the same way when we told them the WiiU was going to fail. After its first year, they accepted it.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I hate to think what would have happened if they went with the 'worst possible' hardware. Maybe if they'd done that they would be pedaling last gen hardware with shit performance and shit graphics and just all round fucking AWFUL value for money to play the same games they have given you for 100 years.

But a new Zelda makes it all okay so yeah, people really are that stupid.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rikusaki
@ronvalencia said:

Nvidia has value added services that Nintendo wanted i.e. good software engineering support from SoC vendor. Qualcomm is worst than AMD on software engineering support.

Yup. There's reasons beyond just the physical hardware that made this a great choice for Nintendo. It's great business for both Nintendo and Nvidia. Nvidia finally has a strong foothold in the console market.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Nintendo could have done a little better, but not by much. As a handheld, it's definitely an impressive improvement over the 3DS; those two systems aren't even in the same stratosphere when it comes to technical capability. Certainly one of the biggest generational leaps I can remember.

Spartan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Spartan1985
Member since 2017 • 10 Posts

Yep that is why the system literally melts sd cards, bends with use, and has a flimsy plastic screen protector.

@Rikusaki said:

The Tegra X1 is quite literally the best possible hardware Nintendo could have chosen for the Switch. Sure, it is underclocked, but it does provide many benefits over other options for SoCs.

The Tegra X1 has 256 "Maxwell 2" GPU cores, but offers a feature not found on desktop Maxwell GPUs; double speed FP16 support. The Switch has a 2X performance boost when executing FP16 code, this is a modern trick GPUs are starting to use now. The PS4 and Xbox One don't have this feature (but the Pro and Scorpio support double rate FP16).

Unreal Engine 4 was written to make extensive use of FP16. It is used in ALL of their shaders, for example. This is why Snake Pass was ported so quickly to the Switch and performs and looks favorably well against the PS4 version. I am by no means saying that the Switch is anywhere close to the raw throughput of the PS4, but the more modern GPU architecture helps put out impressive results with less effort, thanks to Nvidia's tools.

Sure, we have the immensely powerful Apple A9X, whose CPU cores easily outclasses the ARM A57/A53 big-little configuration found in the X1, but the graphics capabilities of the Tegra X1 make more sense in a game console. The software tools Nvidia is providing to Nintendo is a great asset for developers. This combination of hardware combined with powerful software tools is something Nintendo couldn't have done on their own.

But the PS4 and Xbox One are so much more powerful.

The Switch is a tablet. No desktop grade hardware would make sense in this form factor. The X1 is the best choice for this application.

What about the Tegra X2?

The X2 wasn't ready at the time the Switch went into production. Nvidia's own 2017 Shield TV is still shipping with the X1 chip inside. And the wait wouldn't have been worth it. The performance increase wouldn't have been that large. I'd expect a hardware refresh with the X2 sometime within the next 3 years, though.

What about developing their own SoC?

This would have cost Nintendo tons in R&D and the product wouldn't be as robust as Nvidia's Maxwell 2 architecture and software tools. Developing a modern SoC (something Nintendo has never done) would take tons of time and would increase the cost of the console immensely.

If you aren't convinced, Fast RMX is a great technical demonstration for the Switch. It runs in 900p/1080p (dynamic) at 60FPS with dynamic lighting (light scattering), physically based rendering (PBR) and post processing effects.

Digital Foundry: Fast RMX Analysis

In my view, Nintendo nailed it with the hardware in the Switch. I am excited to see more modern engines such as UE4 take advantage of it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 iandizion713

@SakusEnvoy: Well said, it a mice leap from the awesome 3DS.

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheMisterManGuy
Member since 2011 • 264 Posts

@tjandmia: ARM is just as widely used as x86, and it's especially a plus for mobile developers coming from ARM hardware. The problem with the Wii U wasn't that it used different hardware, it's that it used outdated and needlessly complicated hardware that everyone was ready to move on from. The Switch uses off-the-shelf tablet parts that are still widely used today. That's completely different from the Wii U.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

OK, it still crap hardware that will limit third party support.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tjandmia

@TheMisterManGuy said:

@tjandmia: ARM is just as widely used as x86, and it's especially a plus for mobile developers coming from ARM hardware. The problem with the Wii U wasn't that it used different hardware, it's that it used outdated and needlessly complicated hardware that everyone was ready to move on from. The Switch uses off-the-shelf tablet parts that are still widely used today. That's completely different from the Wii U.

Doesn't matter. It's completely different from the competition and that's why most games are going to miss the switch, just like they did with the WiiU. Developers are having enough trouble with the Xbox one being so weak. The switch is a disaster compared to that.

Nintendo fans can tell themselves how great the switch is as much as they want, but just like the Wii U, NIntendo made a huge mistake with the hardware.