Nintendo or Sony - who has the best 1st party as of right now?

• 121 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24457 posts) 18 days, 13 hours ago

Poll: Nintendo or Sony - who has the best 1st party as of right now? (127 votes)

Nintendo (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion) 60%
Sony (God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Dreams, Days Gone, Gran Turismo, MLB) 40%

I'll admit, Sony kills it when it comes to third person adventure games, but other than that, I think Nintendo is great at what they do. Sure, it's the same IP's every gen, but they always find ways to make them relevant and good. It's a tough choice. Because I value versatility, I'm going to give Nintendo a slight edge on this one. What say you, SW? Who has the best 1st party between Nintendo and Sony?

#1 Edited by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

Nintendo holds my interest far more. Sony is excellent, but I feel Ninty is just unparalleled.

#2 Posted by TJDMHEM (2147 posts) -

Nintendo.

#3 Posted by Fedor (5325 posts) -

Nintendo

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (28511 posts) -

For me it’s Nintendo.

#5 Edited by Telekill (8586 posts) -

Sticking with Sony on this.

Nintendo has some fun family games... sure but I would only bother with Zelda and Smash if I didn't have kids. I probably wouldn't own the Switch without my kids.

#6 Posted by judaspete (3127 posts) -

There are definitely things Sony does better, but Nintendo games are just fun and that matters most on my book.

#7 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

MS.

Forza, Gears, Cuphead, Ori, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Halo.

Much more variation in genres than Sony (6 out of 9 games are 3rd person adventures) and much less reliant on one franchise (Mario) than Nintendo.

Out of the two you mentioned, Nintendo wins imo every time....But both are in dire need of a great FPS franchise.

#8 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

Voted Nintendo, cause Sheep are crazy and i value my life.

#9 Edited by BassMan (10643 posts) -

Sony for me. The only Nintendo games that really interest me are Zelda and Mario platformers. Both series have fallen from their former glory.

#10 Posted by Fedor (5325 posts) -

@sealionact: Cuphead and Ori are not MS first party. Not exclusive either.

#11 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19250 posts) -

Easily Nintendo.

Unless all you play is 3rd person action/adventure games with lots of cutscenes, Sony's lineup is meh.

#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36576 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:

Voted Nintendo, cause Sheep are crazy and i value my life.

Dude, I don't think Nintendo fans are threatening you with Master Swords or Samus' Arm Canon, or sending the Star Fox Team after you... lol

#13 Posted by ButDuuude (1426 posts) -

@sealionact: LOL

#14 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

I have played more Sony than Nintendo.

#15 Posted by sakaiXx (6052 posts) -

Sony have bloodborne. Sony.

#16 Posted by rmiller365 (796 posts) -

Sony. I love Zelda but I don't like Mario and smash/mario kart are the same franchises since the N64 days. Fire emblem is cool but not a system seller for me.

I like it when companies try new concepts and take risks with new franchises, and Sony does that.

#17 Posted by livingdeadman (368 posts) -

Sony has zombie games.

#18 Edited by ProtossRushX (5693 posts) -

Ninty

#19 Posted by Subspecies (730 posts) -

It just depends what you want. Sony has a lot of mature, dark and grimy type games. Nintendo has a bunch of colorful, cartoony Pixar type games. Both have a nice selection.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#20 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

@fedor said:

@sealionact: Cuphead and Ori are not MS first party. Not exclusive either.

Ori is. State of Decay and Sea of Thieves are straight garbage though and I don't even know why he brought them in the convo like they're any reason to buy an Xbox.

#21 Posted by FinalFighters (3214 posts) -

Sony - i prefer their more mature story-driven games.

#22 Posted by Ibacai (13834 posts) -

I’d still vote Sony for the time being.

#23 Posted by Speeny (1958 posts) -

I prefer Nintendo.

#24 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

MS, but the OP is bias.

Sony's games are best watched on YouTube and cheaper.

Can Nintendo whore out Mario anymore if they tried, I mean Mario is the gaming equivalant of a prostitute lol.

#25 Edited by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Nintendo and this isn't up for debate either!

@sealionact said:

MS.

Don't make me laugh lol.

But I still love Halo franchise :)

#26 Posted by Gatygun (1586 posts) -

Microsoft.

#27 Edited by jeezers (3269 posts) -

Nintendo

They are kicking ass with the switch.

Hybrid system changed the game for me, I havent liked a Nintendo system this much since N64.

I also own a ps4, but the switch is just so convienant

#28 Posted by Vaidream45 (2034 posts) -

Nintendo easily wins due to their amazing variety in FP games. 2d/3d platformers. 2d/3d metroidvanias, 2d/3d open world games, action games, RPG’s, Party games, Kart racers, hell even sports games, puzzle games. Sony even though they have big FP games they are all in the same 3rd person action adventure shooter genre. They had more variety back in the PS1 days by far.

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (51267 posts) -

Sony. Breath of the Wild isn't good enough.

#30 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: ...yet Dreams, Days Gone and MLB are?

#31 Posted by rrjim1 (1748 posts) -

I had more fun just sailing a ship in Sea of Thieves than playing any Nintendo game or watching a Sony game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#32 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: ...yet Dreams, Days Gone and MLB are?

Yup. The last good AAA Xbox game was Gears 4 and the next good one will be Gears 5. That's sad. All that other mung is just filler and racers. Cuphead don't count since it's a third party game Uncle Phil paid to keep off Playstation.

#33 Posted by Litchie (24303 posts) -
@rrjim1 said:

I had more fun just sailing a ship in Sea of Thieves than playing any Nintendo game or watching a Sony game.

That's probably the best game MS has. And it's from a studio that had been working closely with Nintendo for years. Selling Rare was a great loss for Nintendo, freaking dumbasses. MS hasn't taken well care of them at all with all that Kinect shit they were pulling. Viva Piñata was pretty cool though.

#34 Posted by SaltSlasher (1303 posts) -

What's the point of having the best party, when its the only party?

I'd say Sony if you count PSVR games, but, Nintendo doesn't lose its 1st party to better parties, so I'd say Nintendo.

#35 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@davillain-: Again, if you love 3rd person adventures, Sony wins every war. Ms has arguably better racers, better and more mp titles, undeniably better shooters, better platformers, better RTS games and way more variation in the games even if none reach the polish level of Sonys games.

#36 Posted by mojito1988 (3704 posts) -

Nintendo. Even in System Wars it is not even close.

#37 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

Both have games that interest me but to not sit on the fence I'll go with Sony.

#38 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: I don't know who labels games AAA, and what the criteria is, but you could argue that Spiderman was the last good 1st party game on PS4, and Last of us 2 is the next.....that's a huge gap for someone who is supposedly killing it with 1st party games.

Sony does have some great games, but they're too similar. There's more variation in Nintendo's and Xbox's lineup, and even in huge genres like FPS, MP and Racing games ....Sony falls short.

#39 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@davillain-: Pull up your pants as your bias is showing.

#40 Edited by Evil_Loli (201 posts) -

I may not be a Nintendo fan, but they do make the best exclusive games around and Sony's all about those movie games which has no gameplay value to it.

@i_p_daily said:

He was actually joking about it. Saw that one coming from a miles away.

#41 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

@evil_loli said:

I may not be a Nintendo fan, but they do make the best exclusive games around and Sony's all about those movie games which has no gameplay value to it.

@i_p_daily said:

He was actually joking about it. Saw that one coming from a miles away.

That is correct. I was joking and messing with sealionact, but I didn't expect Daily to show is own hardcore fanboy over a little harmless teasing lol.

As for Nintendo, they can make great exclusive games indeed :)

#42 Posted by briguyb13 (3151 posts) -

Nintendo by a mile.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#43 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1695 posts) -

At this point I'd say Nintendo!

The only Sony IP that I love is Gran Turismo.

#44 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10416 posts) -

Nintendo. It's not even close. Mario alone has more gameplay variety than all Sony exclusives combined

#45 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

Nintendo without any doubt. Their library of games have way more variety in gameplay styles than just about the entirety of the Playstation catalog. Nintendo actually takes risks with experimenting gameplay as well; and while they don't succeed all the time, the fact they take chances instead of just making the same type of game over and over again, is appreciated.

"bUt ThEy OnLy ReHaSh MaRiO gAmEs" says the clueless person on System Wars.

When you look at the Mario IP, through out his entire gaming career, Mario's franchise has introduced more gameplay genres and variety over the entirety of PS4's exclusive library.

And you don't even have to like Mario to get something out of Nintendo.

This week Nintendo is launching one of their brand new IP's created by Platinum Games. It is getting rave reviews and some are saying it's GotY worthy already.

Loading Video...

I'll for sure be playing this one.

#46 Posted by R-Gamer (618 posts) -

Honestly I'd say Sony although Nintendo is still great.

#47 Edited by R-Gamer (618 posts) -

@ArchoNils2: lol this is a common argument from many sheep but no. Mario is a platformer and it's something Nintendo specializes in.

Mario

Mario Kart

SSB

Kirby

Animal Crossing

They have all had similar gameplay mechanics for over a decade.

Outside of the latest Zelda there hasn't been any massive advances in gameplay.

#48 Posted by Nike_Air (19352 posts) -

I'm more attracted to Sony's AAA games - God of War , inFAMOUS , Uncharted , Killzone , The Last of Us , Horizon Zero Dawn , The Last Guardian , etc. And they've done a good job with some of their partners - Bloodborne , Everybody's Golf , Until Dawn , Ratchet & Clank , Spider-Man , etc.

#49 Posted by ellos (2067 posts) -

When it comes to first party its Nintendo but I enjoy more games on ps4. Multi that are not on nintendo consoles are still too much for me.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#50 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3418 posts) -

Nintendo and it’s not close. I don’t give a damn about the other 2’s first party. Those are 3rd party boxes as far as I’m concerned.