Nintendo or SONY : Which one is the better 1st party developer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Nintendo rehashes the same 20 year old franchises over and over again on gimped hardware, Sony has much more talent in their first party and they mostly make new IPs.

Dont get me wrong, Nintendo has a very solid first party, but Sony's is much better.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#52 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sony:Uncharted,Heavy Rain,God of War,InFamous,Ratchet and Clank,Resistance,Sly Cooper,Jak and Daxter,LittleBIgPlanet

Also I think Sony are good at creating new IPs Nintendo have to rely on Mario and Zelda to get people to get their consoles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts
personally i am not a fan of sonys style of making games. sony are very focused on the cinematic gaming experience. at times they seem more focused on making a game look good for an E3 video reel rather than focusing on the nuts and bolts of the games themselves. but i can see the appeal of them to other in fairness. they are great to show off and can still be fun. they just dont interest me much. in saying that i do like wipeout and hope there are more games in the series in the future. but overall i prefer nintendos approach (just....lets not talk about other M. :P). their attention to detail and the time spent on the nuts and bolts of their games really pays off.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#54 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Sony by far. I'm not interested in no 2D mario games or stuff like that. What i'm interested in is games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Beyond, Killzone, God of War... beast!! :cool:

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Nintendo with ease

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#56 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Nintendo, duh.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#57 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]microsoftBlbecekBobecek

tumblr_mcqcb4JLpP1qzx2tmo1_400.gif

tumblr_mcqcb4JLpP1qzx2tmo2_400.gif

conan-rofl.gif

who-knows-whats-right-g1.gif

lol.gif

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

the Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, Pokemon, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Kirby, etc..

or

The Uncharted, GoW, Infamous, Gran Tursimo, Last of us, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM, etc...

If you had to choose, which one, in your personal opinion, happens to offer you the more appealing 1st party exclusives that are geared towards your taste?

Mystery_Writer
Nintendo, mainly because then are the ones who make the majority of their 1st party games. Sony uses other developers like Naughty Dog, Polyphony, etc to make their 1st party games. Nintendo's 1st party games usually score higher overall.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Sony by far. I'm not interested in no 2D mario games or stuff like that. What i'm interested in is games like Uncharted, Last of Us, Beyond, Killzone, God of War... beast!! :cool:

KillzoneSnake
Sony didn't make most those games, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream & Guerrilla Games did. Sony did make God of War. 2D games? What about Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Star Fox and Mario Kart? Those aren't 2D games.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 crimsonman1245

[QUOTE="KillzoneSnake"]

blackace

Sony didn't make most those games, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream & Guerrilla Games did. Sony did make God of War. 2D games? What about Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Star Fox and Mario Kart? Those aren't 2D games.

Naughty Dog and Guerilla games are Sony first party, they are owned by Sony, their IPs are owned by Sony. Just because they kept the name of their studio doesnt mean they arent Sony First Party.

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

This gen, SONY. Last gen, SONY, the generations before these 2, NINTENDO.

I feel that a lot of the Nintendo 1st party love comes from Nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but, how much hasve their game series evolved since the N64?

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

There are hardly any nintendo exclusives that appeal to people aged 18+MaskedPlayer
Yeah, that's what all the "cool" kids think anyway :lol:

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Sony:

Killzone

Infamous

God of War

Uncharted

The last of us

GT

Resistance

Nintendo:

Mario

Mario

Mario

Mario

Mario

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

Nintendo. It's no contest really. Sony hasn't been able to compete with Nintendo's level desgn and gameplay standards. That's not to say that Sony is terrible. They make some good games, but Nintendo always produces some of the best games of each generation.

Sony has a tendancy to make games that are like other already existing games, but not as strong. Nintendo has a plethera of franchises at the top of their genre that other developers including Sony strive for.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I voted for Sony only because they seem to be more.... adventurous when it comes to IP's. I'm only interested in Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros. and Pokemon out of all Nintendos IP's.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#66 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

Nintendo:

Mario

Mario

Mario

Mario

Mario

PCgameruk

Because Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Pokemon CURRENTLY aren't active IP's on the Nintendo front. :roll:

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#67 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ImageThe Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ImageSuper Mario 64 ImagePaper Mario ImageDonkey Kong 64 ImageStar Fox 64 ImageF-Zero X ImageMario Kart 64 ImageSuper Smash Bros. Image

Metroid Prime ImageThe Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ImageSuper Smash Bros. Melee ImageSuper Mario Sunshine ImageMetroid Prime 2: Echoes ImagePikmin 2 ImageF-Zero GX ImagePaper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door ImageMario Kart: Double Dash!! Image

Super Mario Galaxy ImageSuper Mario Galaxy 2 ImageThe Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ImageSuper Smash Bros. Brawl ImageThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ImageXenoblade Chronicles ImageMetroid Prime 3: Corruption ImageDonkey Kong Country Returns ImageSuper Paper Mario Image

Such a hard choice, LMAO

Samus3D
Almost all the same few franchises and mario can be seen a million times on there. And where is a game that a typical adult would be interested in? Because I don't see one. This picuture just shows that nintendo is a great console for children... thats why I bought mine a wii when they were 5 and 7.. Now they would rather play ps3. To me games like uncharted, ico, jak, crash, sly, infamous, shadow of colossus, gravity rush, lbp, wipeout, grand turismo, socom, gow, twisted metal, legend of dragoon, siren, tokyo jungle, patapon, locoroco, syphon filter, killzone, etc... are all more aimed at me and are better games imo.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#68 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

[QUOTE="Samus3D"]

Such a hard choice, LMAO

Midnightshade29

Almost all the same few franchises and mario can be seen a million times on there. And where is a game that a typical adult would be interested in? Because I don't see one.

Because METROID and F-ZERO are CLEARLY kids franchises like Mario. :roll:

Also not forgetting Nintendo's previous attempts at trying to get the M rated market, only to get bit in the ass by a couple of those games, leaving them to retreat to third party franchises (see: Capcom, Tecmo/Team Ninja, SEGA/Platinum Games)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Im going with Sony for this one. By quite a bit.

the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]microsoftTrueAmerican007
Why the fvck isnt MS on the poll.

Because everyone knows MS has by far the worst first-party line-up.
Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#71 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

Don't understand the people implying that one is factually better than the other. Everyone has different tastes and expectations, so Sony's exclusives will have more appeal to some and Nintendo's will have more appeal to others.

Even though I really enjoyed the Ratchet & Clank and God of War games, there are more first-party Nintendo games released that appeal to me more. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Xenoblade Chronicles are among my favorite games this generation.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Only a cow would think Sony could even compare.
1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

It seems there's never a shortage of youngsters willing to start this same exact thread, over and over.

If you're over the age of 20, and you've ever held a controller or portable in your hand that:

1) Has an "A" button and a "B" button

2) Has an actual, working, useable, good D-Pad

then you know that the answer is, and always has been, Nintendo.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Is this a real question?nini200
SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts
Nintendo?
Avatar image for trigger_cross93
trigger_cross93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 trigger_cross93
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts

It's okay that people have preferences and such, but this shouldn't even be a question. It is true that Sony showed up this gen, but they still weren't better than Nintendo. They arguably created the two greatest games of all time in Galaxy 1 and 2... I can see how people would choose Sony, but looking at this question objectively, Nintendo wins. Look at sales, or look at highest ratings. I still think Ninty wins no matter how you look at it...

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
My personal tastes find Sony franchises to be bloated boring blockbuster wannabes. Nintendo for me.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Nintendo, it's not even close.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

You can't really compare the two devs because they make games for totally different audiences. I'd say for their target audiences they are equal in ability, but I doubt Nintendo could make games as breathtaking visually as Sony's 1st Party Devs even with the Wii U's extra horsepower.

emgesp

Just going off of visual parity does not equal your whole experience. Ninty knows how to make games flow more naturally and are just plain easy fun without any hassles. Some games imo are missing this aspect.

Not saying Sony has this issue a lot but I feel their natural gameplay is lacking more than ninty first parties imo.

Truthfully Zelda/Mario don't appeal to me anymore. Skyrim is basically what Zelda should be right now. Nintendo hasn't evolved enough with their franchises.

What do you truly want their franchises to evolve into? There is a difference between change and the change you want.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Personally I can't even think of Sony developed games. Can someone give me some examples? A contact with an outside developer does not mean Sony.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I love both 1st party developers but I would say Nintendo is better.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

Nintendo, I guess.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Nintendo_Ownes7

Personally I can't even think of Sony developed games. Can someone give me some examples? A contact with an outside developer does not mean Sony.Heirren
Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Ico, SoTC, Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, Siren, Gravity Daze, LocoRoco, Patapon, Little Big Planet, Syphon Filter, Sly Cooper (Not when it was made but it is now), God of War, and The Last of Us.

All of those are developed by First Party companies from Sony Computer Entertainment.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 crimsonman1245

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Personally I can't even think of Sony developed games. Can someone give me some examples? A contact with an outside developer does not mean Sony.Nintendo_Ownes7

Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Ico, SoTC, Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, Siren, Gravity Daze, LocoRoco, Patapon, Little Big Planet, Syphon Filter, Sly Cooper (Not when it was made but it is now), God of War, and The Last of Us.

All of those are developed by First Party companies from Sony Computer Entertainment.

Alot of people dont know that Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, polyphony, are all Sony first Party because they dont have "Sony" in their name.

I guess that would be an easy mistake to make, but i think its cool that Sony lets their developers keep their name intact.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Personally I can't even think of Sony developed games. Can someone give me some examples? A contact with an outside developer does not mean Sony.crimsonman1245

Alot of people dont know that Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, polyphony, are all Sony first Party because they dont have "Sony" in their name.

I guess that would be an easy mistake to make, but i think its cool that Sony lets their developers keep their name intact.

Nintendo does that aswell.

Retro Studios, Brownie Brown, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Monolith Soft, ND Cube, and Creatures Inc. (But it used to be Ape Inc.)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Personally I can't even think of Sony developed games. Can someone give me some examples? A contact with an outside developer does not mean Sony.crimsonman1245

To my knowledge it's still contractual. These developers existed beforehand, and we're acquired by Sony. Example, Bungie. Ms fronted the money, Bungie developed the game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Nintendo and it's not even close.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Nintendo, I guess.

platniumgamer
No, you know.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#89 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Nintendo, Sony has gotten some really good IP's this generation though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#90 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
I've said this a million times, I'll say it again: when Sony has sustained not one, not two, but three full systems on nothing but the back of their first party games, then and only then will Sony games even be in the same league as Nintendo's. Until then, Nintendo wins this so handily, it's actually funny. Just FYI, when Nintendo tries to sustain a system all on its own, we get the N64. When Sony tries to sustain a system all on its own, we get the PS Vita. Pick and choose.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Ico, SoTC, Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, Siren, Gravity Daze, LocoRoco, Patapon, Little Big Planet, Syphon Filter, Sly Cooper (Not when it was made but it is now), God of War, and The Last of Us.

Heirren

To my knowledge it's still contractual. These developers existed beforehand, and we're acquired by Sony. Example, Bungie. Ms fronted the money, Bungie developed the game.

Actually all but one existed before they were part of Sony. Polyphony Digital was part of Sony then the success of Gran Turismo Sony let them change their teams name to stand apart from the rest of Sony.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
I'll give Sony credit for pumping out new IP's every time a new gen rolls out, but none of them really seem to have the staying power that Nintendo's franchises have.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

The problem is Sony doesn't have a Halo or a Mario, they don't have one franchise that people would buy a PS3 for. Uncharted is the closest thing they have.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Sony by a long shot. Nintendo literally has no games I care to play. I grew bored with Mario when I was in my teens, Zelda has always sucked, never care for Donkey Kong, Pikmin isn't anything I care to play, Metroid isn't half as good as other FPSs I can get on other systems. Nintendo over uses their IPs to the point of boredom.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#95 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
if I'm talking about personal preference, I like both with maybe Nintendo getting the slight edge. If I'm talking about making an un biased choice for the sake of discussion, it's no contest: Nintendo. Nintendo is the #1 game developer in the world without anyone really close to them. They crushed every other dev in the world in sales and they release the greatest diversity of software of any dev as well.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Sony by several hundred miles
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="MaskedPlayer"]

Nintendo are good but sony are better.

There are hardly any nintendo exclusives that appeal to people aged 18+

DarkLink77

Or not.

Or.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#98 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

Ad. topic:

Nintendo is much better first party developer.

Most of Sony the games in the OP are not developed by Sony, but by second party devs like Naughty Dog.

Newhopes

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony....

Yes that is why they are called "second party" devs.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

There are hardly any nintendo exclusives that appeal to people aged 18+

MaskedPlayer

Yeah I highly disgree with that. Most Nintendo fans are 25-30+ years old.

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Nintendo, and this will be solidified next year.