Nintendo Online Subscription On Popular Sites

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Nintendo's subscriptions have been going up among popular retailers, and the price is actually pretty decent. At just shy of $3 a month, if it's competent, then i'm all in. Chop a buck off if you buy the 12-month.

Link.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I doubt anything will change, except we will just be paying for it now.

But you never know, they might have voice chat on the actual system + user profiles where we can upload our screenshots and videos for friends to see.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

Good price for only $20 bucks. No complaints there.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

Hard to say how much different the online experience will be from what it is now but I’m good with the price just to have cloud saves and access to a bunch of their classic games which will now feature online multiplayer for those that are applicable.

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

Not expecting much. Once sony went paid theirs was still junk.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

cheaper than xbox live and probably has way better games than xbox games with gold and gamepass combined nintendo's service is gonna be the best

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I really don't take Nintendo's online seriously nor do I use it to play online other then Splatoon 2. This service isn't for me anyways and I only play Nintendo's exclusive games.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Still no thanks..I'll stick to local play..if they decide to move/add tacked on online crap on their games..SO you have to use their online service for game saves etc..then I'll just move away from their system. :P

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@superbuuman said:

Still no thanks..I'll stick to local play..if they decide to move/add tacked on online crap on their..SO you have to use their online service for game saves etc..then I'll just move away from their system. :P

At least F2P games will remain out of the paid wall.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Nintendo fanboys used to boast it was free. Now they gladly pay. Because no matter what Nintendo does, they agree with it. Reggie could personally murder their first born and they would boast about the money they save every month. Bit pathetic and desperate. This is a company. They don't care about you.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man
@DocSanchez said:

Nintendo fanboys used to boast it was free. Now they gladly pay. Because no matter what Nintendo does, they agree with it. Reggie could personally murder their first born and they would boast about the money they save every month. Bit pathetic and desperate. This is a company. They don't care about you.

Who gloated that it was free? It was only since launch, we all knew it was coming and not many sheep are happy that it's behind a paywall. Especially since playing Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2 is behind the paywall. Oh well, at least F2P games will remain out.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DocSanchez
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@DocSanchez said:

Who gloated that it was free? It was only since launch, we all knew it was coming and not many sheep are happy that it's behind a paywall. Especially since playing Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2 is behind the paywall. Oh well, at least F2P games will remain out.

Plenty did as you well know. When Nintendo is behind the times, people act like it is Nintendo being user friendly. Nintendo fanboys did used to boast about free online when others paid. I argued with them at the time. It wasn;t worth paying for. It still isnt.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I bet most Switch owners don't even know this is coming. Charging for online after it was free for the past year and a half is a bad move. Should've done it at launch or not at all.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man
@DocSanchez said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Plenty did as you well know. When Nintendo is behind the times, people act like it is Nintendo being user friendly. Nintendo fanboys did used to boast about free online when others paid. I argued with them at the time. It wasn;t worth paying for. It still isnt.

Do you have a post or thread of me praising it being free? Because I only praise for being at least affordable, but also a bit skeptical. Please show these post if you're so sure.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not worth the money.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@superbuuman said:

Still no thanks..I'll stick to local play..if they decide to move/add tacked on online crap on their..SO you have to use their online service for game saves etc..then I'll just move away from their system. :P

At least F2P games will remain out of the paid wall.

Yes that's good they are keeping F2P games out of the paid wall. :)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@DocSanchez: If it was priced the same as Sony's online service, I'd completely ignore it (like I did with Sony's).

Instead, it's a few dollars a month, and you're getting better games than the usual PS+/GWG filler.

I think I'll give it a shot. I have tons of friends at work who want to play Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Diablo 3/Stardew Valley/Rocket League online with me, so I'll get my money's worth out of it.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I will buy it when (unlikely) there is good reason to buy it. I do not see it yet. (Then again I do not pay for PSN, or Xbox networks either, since I do all of my online gaming on PC as online is better on PC in my opinion.)

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

It's not worth it if it's just the same online structure it currently is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Good price for only $20 bucks. No complaints there.

Given it's almost as much for XBL for three months, can't complain either.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@DocSanchez: No one boasted it was free because they made it clear from the start the Switch would get subscription based online, and no one will “gladly” pay for online either.

Just like Sony and MS fanboys we won’t have a choice soon if we want to keep playing certain online games. At least it’s cheap though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

Paying for online on consoles sucks so much balls. At least it's pretty cheap, I guess. But I have a feeling Smash is gonna lag a shitload online even though I'm paying. I might just stop playing Mario Kart online (only Switch game I'm playing online right now) instead of paying. We'll see. Anyway, it's a shitty move by Nintendo.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lol at the playstation fanboy who hides behind the PC talking shit about paying for online.

the irony. i least nintendo made it clear and didnt sneak in their conference like sony after good news of game sharing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't care much for online gaming but if the freebies* are ok I'll don't mind paying for it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

3 bucks for something that has been free for years and a bunch of really old games on top of that... I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing the value in that :/

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

dang. monster hunter is going to be behind that paywall isnt it?

oh well. MHW online on the PC it is. SP only (unless i can find another hunter locally) for the switch.

the really annoying thing here is that nintendo are holding peoples saves hostage. there is no way to back them up locally. the only option will be to back them up online...which is behind a paid service. brilliant /s.

hopefully they resolve this in a future firmware update.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DocSanchez

@FireEmblem_Man: No

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@DocSanchez said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Do you have a post or thread of me praising it being free? Because I only praise for being at least affordable, but also a bit skeptical. Please show these post if you're so sure.

No I don't. I didn't say you specifically did it, and not everything is about you.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@osan0 said:

dang. monster hunter is going to be behind that paywall isnt it?

oh well. MHW online on the PC it is. SP only (unless i can find another hunter locally) for the switch.

the really annoying thing here is that nintendo are holding peoples saves hostage. there is no way to back them up locally. the only option will be to back them up online...which is behind a paid service. brilliant /s.

hopefully they resolve this in a future firmware update.

Sorry, what? So, this is a Wii U scenario, HW breaks and you lose everything?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Another grimm day for gaming,the last one standing fall down for profits.

Thank you MS and you lemmings who byte into that crap,if you would have refuse it on xbox and 360 the market would still be free to play online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

*sigh

/facepalm

The fact some people think "paying to play online" is "ok" and "fair" is completely baffling...

gamers never learn

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

A bit surprised Nintendo haven't implemented the virtual console with GameCube support. Seems a no brainer.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Vatusus said:

*sigh

/facepalm

The fact some people think "paying to play online" is "ok" and "fair" is completely baffling...

gamers never learn

Yep is terrible.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

A bit surprised Nintendo haven't implemented the virtual console with GameCube support. Seems a no brainer.

What Virtual Console? As far as we know VC is dead.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

I've already purchased it myself.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

My point is Nintendo should release the virtual console with GameCube support. Seems an obvious money maker.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

@Random_Matt: yeah. no backups. if the flash goes boom then your saves are hosed....unless you pay nintendo 20 bucks a year.

if its on a microSD card i think thats still tied to the switch that wrote the data to the card. if you put that card in a different switch i think it just tells you to go away basically.

in the interest of fairness: sony is not exactly innocent of this either (i dont know about MS. havent used an xbox in a long long time). the PS3 anyway has a backup utility which is A LOT better than nothing. but some saves wont be restored if you backup on one system and restore it to a different system (e.g. if your PS3 broke and you bought a replacement). dark souls 2 comes to mind. the only way to transfer those saves is through PSN+ as far as i know.

for both companies (and im assuming MS do a similar thing but correct me if im wrong) they probably consider it an anti cheat thing.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Good time to sell your switch.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

Eventhough some gamers will take issue that Nintendo is charging for online, at least the annual subscription is not priced like Xbox Live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Vatusus said:

*sigh

/facepalm

gamers never learn

Yeah, because why should I have to pay for anything? Who cares if it costs them money to provide this service to me? Everything should be free to me! Bernie 2020! /sarcasm

It's baffling to me how people can complain about paying a measly $20 for an entire year of fun playing online. That's the same cost of going see just 2 movies in the theater to get just four hours of entertainment. For that same price, I get an entire year of fun playing fantastic games online. That's a great value to me and I'm definitely not going to be silly enough to deprive myself of that fun.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@storm_of_swords: try one movie, these days - at least if you want a soda or a popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@storm_of_swords said:
@Vatusus said:

*sigh

/facepalm

gamers never learn

Yeah, because why should I have to pay for anything? Who cares if it costs them money to provide this service to me? Everything should be free to me! Bernie 2020! /sarcasm

It's baffling to me how people can complain about paying a measly $20 for an entire year of fun playing online. That's the same cost of going see just 2 movies in the theater to get just four hours of entertainment. For that same price, I get an entire year of fun playing fantastic games online. That's a great value to me and I'm definitely not going to be silly enough to deprive myself of that fun.

That post is so dumb I dont even know where to start...

Here, I'll try to educate you but since you're one of those who already accepted it I'm pretty sure it will be pointless

Anyway

Who cares if it costs them money to provide this service to me?

Costs to whom? Let me tell you something since you're clearly ignorant about this: Sony, MS and Nintendo DO NOT pay for 3rd party servers, only their own. So, why should I pay to Sony to play say Destiny MP when its Activision that pays for their own game servers? Something that SHOULD be free since we already paid for the game. You dont see PC gamers paying to play Destiny online, do you? Why should console gamers? I mean, PC servers also cost money dont they?

Online play has always been free on PC and was free on consoles when it first became a thing. Then, someday, someone decided: "Why give these people such a basic feature for free when we can make money with it?" And then, stupid, gullible people who dont have any consideration for others accepted it without an inch of self preservation and paid for it willingly because... why not?

Another thing are F2P games... why are their online free when, quoting you, "it costs them money hur dur"?! seems asinine to me

It's baffling to me how people can complain about paying a measly $20 for an entire year of fun playing online

Another idiotic and ignorant statement of the gullible

Thats how it starts. PS+ was 49,99 when it came out (and it had way better "free" monthly games than what it offers now) and now its 59,99 when the suckers already conformed with it. When Sony decides it, it'll be 69,99 and so on and so forth. Enjoy you're "measly" 20$/year worth of online play while you can, in no time you'll be paying more then that cause, hey, you already demonstrated you're willing to pay for a basic feature that should be free, so why not 10$ more? and then 10$ more?

Oh and btw, PSN online isnt better now than when it was free so dont come with the bs argument that "they charge to improve the service"

Sheep, gullible people like you are what are ruining gaming for everybody else

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@Vatusus said:

*sigh

/facepalm

gamers never learn

Thanks to some stupid morons who started all...not so long ago!!!

"Sheep, gullible people like you are what are ruining gaming for everybody else "

Shame we also have to pay the price!!!

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

lol at the playstation fanboy who hides behind the PC talking shit about paying for online.

the irony. i least nintendo made it clear and didnt sneak in their conference like sony after good news of game sharing.

Lets see how clear Nintendo made it when a bunch of angry soccer moms storm Twitter after their kids come asking for their credit card next month to play Mario Kart online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Vatusus:

While Activision may pay for their own game servers, they still rely on Xbox Live and PSN to keep everything connected and make it easy for gamers to get connected and play with their friends as well as millions of other people across the world with as little trouble and hassle as possible. As well as provide features like party chat, cloud saves, messaging, etc.

Do you think that the continuous maintenance of that infrastructure that keeps everything connected doesn't cost money? Do you think that the R&D of new features to enhance the service doesn't cost money? Do you think that the people that they have to hire to support the millions of users that use the service every day doesn't cost money? Do you think that it doesn't cost any money to keep these services secure? Do you think that the free monthly games provided doesn't cost any money? If you think that all of that doesn't cost Microsoft and Sony any money then you are the ignorant one.

Yes, some of the service cost will probably also be used for profit, but there is nothing wrong with that since they are still a business and need to make money. And as long as they are providing a valuable service to me, I have no problem giving them a little bit of money. That's how business works, if you provide a valuable service or entertainment then you deserve to make some money from it.

I receive so much value and fun from playing online games with my friends on Xbox Live that I consider it to be one of my best entertainment values. I spend a lot more money on other forms of entertainment that doesn't provide anywhere near as much fun as my yearly subscription to Xbox Live does. Obviously, Nintendo's online service is not as good as Xbox Live and the price reflects that, but I know that I will receive much more than $20 of value from the many hours that I will spend playing games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash Bros. online as well as all of the retro games that Nintendo will be adding online capabilities to. I'll get much more entertainment value out of that than spending that same $20 to see just two movies at the theater or play just two games of bowling, etc.

Or I guess I could just deprive myself of all of that fun and be bitter that not everything in life can be free... Nah, I think I'll instead pay the small fee and enjoy all of the fun that I get from it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@storm_of_swords said:

@Vatusus:

While Activision may pay for their own game servers, they still rely on Xbox Live and PSN to keep everything connected and make it easy for gamers to get connected and play with their friends as well as millions of other people across the world with as little trouble and hassle as possible. As well as provide features like party chat, cloud saves, messaging, etc.

Do you think that the continuous maintenance of that infrastructure that keeps everything connected doesn't cost money? Do you think that the R&D of new features to enhance the service doesn't cost money? Do you think that the people that they have to hire to support the millions of users that use the service every day doesn't cost money? Do you think that it doesn't cost any money to keep these services secure? Do you think that the free monthly games provided doesn't cost any money? If you think that all of that doesn't cost Microsoft and Sony any money then you are the ignorant one.

Yes, some of the service cost will probably also be used for profit, but there is nothing wrong with that since they are still a business and need to make money. And as long as they are providing a valuable service to me, I have no problem giving them a little bit of money. That's how business works, if you provide a valuable service or entertainment then you deserve to make some money from it.

I receive so much value and fun from playing online games with my friends on Xbox Live that I consider it to be one of my best entertainment values. I spend a lot more money on other forms of entertainment that doesn't provide anywhere near as much fun as my yearly subscription to Xbox Live does. Obviously, Nintendo's online service is not as good as Xbox Live and the price reflects that, but I know that I will receive much more than $20 of value from the many hours that I will spend playing games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash Bros. online as well as all of the retro games that Nintendo will be adding online capabilities to. I'll get much more entertainment value out of that than spending that same $20 to see just two movies at the theater or play just two games of bowling, etc.

Or I guess I could just deprive myself of all of that fun and be bitter that not everything in life can be free... Nah, I think I'll instead pay the small fee and enjoy all of the fun that I get from it.

Sigh* so many ignorance disguised as giberish

You have all that on PC too, even better, through several services (Steam, GOG, Origin, HumbleBundle, etc, etc) and you dont see anyone charging for it even though they "hur dur costs money too! hur dur"

The "argument" you present on your worthless post (that I didnt even bother reading after the 1st paragraph btw) is void

btw, XB Windows live games use the EXACT same servers AND services as games on the xbox yet xbox players pay for them while PC gamers dont. And why is that? Cause MS knows they couldnt get away with it and PC players would never allow it while the average console gamer keep taking up in the *** from the corporate man and worse, it seems he actually likes it! At least going by some comments here. I'm mainly a console gamer but even I acknowledge the vast majority of console players are really idiots and I wish they were more vocal about the bs in the industry as PC gamers are

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

@storm_of_swords: Agreed. I get value from these services so I have no problem paying for it myself.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

20 bucks isn’t a bad price but their online features are so limited. Is it really worth anything at all?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Nintendo should be keeping online free, adding cloud saves for free because it's an EXPECTED feature in 2018, and adding the NES games for free as an apology for a year of ports and first party games nobody really cares about.

Also, If they're gonna add online to old games it should be N64 and Gamecube games.