Nintendo (old) vs Nintendo (modern)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Which one do you prefer and why?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Copycat :x

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

wats the difference? their still trying to sell you gimmicks for periphreals and its working..

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

It's hard to compare old to modern for anything. Back in the day, it took no time at all to make a game. Heck, a critically acclaimed game like Super Metroid only took 8 months to make while something like Other M or MP3 took 3 years.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

wats the difference? their still trying to sell you gimmicks for periphreals and its working..

ionusX
I think you are confusing them with Microsoft and sony. What peripherals have they been trying to sell?
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

They're the same. Nintendo is just sort of resisting the way the industry is changing, in a way. The whole pricing/dlc model that MS created is taking over and destroying the industry.

TairuSzoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TairuSzoola
Member since 2012 • 83 Posts
Uh I do not know what to say. As far as it goes. I love Nintendo. Probably the best game company out there. I must say with Wii , I was dissappointed but WiiU I see improvement. I see them actually going where gamers want to be. The idea of the tablet was amazing and hopefully that is not the only controller. I am sure that Nintendo thought it ahead. If the online play is as improved as I am hearing then I say WiiU ! I can not wait ! :)
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Gameboy, GBA, Gamecube, DS. So, modern, I guess? Unless the gameboy is considered old.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Back in the day their gimmicks didn't sell, nowadays they do. That's the difference. Everything else is the same.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

YoshiYogurt

I think you are confusing them with Microsoft and sony. What peripherals have they been trying to sell?

the wii mote itself is a gimmick as is anything they attach to it.. elts be real here the driving wheel or lightguns.. could be made at home with some cardboard or by barbarising some tupperware.

and the old nintendo..

there hasnt been a console in between free of this gimmicky BS

omgmike23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omgmike23
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts
Uh I do not know what to say. As far as it goes. I love Nintendo. Probably the best game company out there. I must say with Wii , I was dissappointed but WiiU I see improvement. I see them actually going where gamers want to be. The idea of the tablet was amazing and hopefully that is not the only controller. I am sure that Nintendo thought it ahead. If the online play is as improved as I am hearing then I say WiiU ! I can not wait ! :) TairuSzoola
We haven't seen much of the WiiU yet, so how could you possibly see improvement? Nintendo says they want to appeal to the "Hardcore" gamer market as well, if they want to do that quit using the gimicky controllers and tablets, at least as a primary controller. Make it optional like the xbox and the ps3. Is the idea of a tablet for a controller cool? Yes but it doesn't appeal to those wanting to use a REAL controller. I as well am excited to see what nintendo will do though, oh BTW old nintendo FTW
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
We have a new fad, don't we?
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Both "old" and "new" Nintendo has given me great games.

Can't just pick one.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

When Nintendo produces something that is at least Modern, you let me know.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wewantdoom4now
Member since 2012 • 1792 Posts

nintendo is dead to me.

i bought every nintendo console except wii from the store NEW.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Unless you are talking about the Nintendo that operated a Taxi business or the Nintendo that got into videogames, there is no old and modern Nintendo. It's the same exact one.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Willy105

fadersdream
Must suck seeing all the other game companies try to advance to catch up to where Nintendo is.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

fadersdream

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts
old>>>>>>>>>>>>new
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I think they've been pretty consistent.
stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

still a bit sore from the Wii, honest. The GBA and DS were awesome, though so it kind of offsets. Still I'd say the old Ninty has the edge in my eyes.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

NES ruled its day. Many of their greatest characters and concepts were born in this era. 3rd parties were building the foundation for franchises that are still the bread and butter of the gaming industry. All on Nintendos first home console.

SNES also hosted some of the greatest games of all time. The RPG genre hit puberty on the SNES and we're all better off for it, no matter what system you play on now.

Here's where the awesomeness slows to a crawl.

N64 was a dud as far as I was concerned compared to the PS. It didn't come close to the amount of epic games its rival had. It had its monents, sure, but they were few and far between. 3rd party support crashed due to Nintendos mistreatment of developers for over a decade, and PS was simply alot cheaper and easier to produce software for.

Gamecube. I don't regret having my GC. The best games on my GC were just as good (and sometimes better) than the best on my PS2. But it was kind of a repeat of the gen before with 3rd parties sticking with Sony. So Sony still had the library to own that gen. And they dominated. Xbox was gaining favor at the time as well.

Wii. Still suffering from inadequate 3rd party support, but still managing to improve upon it from the GC era. The system has seemed dated for years, I don't feel it stands up well against PS3 or 360 after its 2nd year on the market. So imo the Wii didn't really bring much this gen. They're outclassed in every genre (my opionion). And their core franchises are evolving into a total bore.

In short: Old Nintendo is the holy grail of gaming. New Nintendo second class.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fadersdream
[QUOTE="fadersdream"]

Willy105
Must suck seeing all the other game companies try to advance to catch up to where Nintendo is.

you really believe that? That's soooo cute. awww, look at the little fanboy, awwww.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Nintendo were at their best with old Rare behind them. I don't like the Nintendo of this generation at all, except for handhelds.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperFlakeman

NES ruled its day. Many of their greatest characters and concepts were born in this era. 3rd parties were building the foundation for franchises that are still the bread and butter of the gaming industry. All on Nintendos first home console.

SNES also hosted some of the greatest games of all time. The RPG genre hit puberty on the SNES and we're all better off for it, no matter what system you play on now.

N64 was a dud as far as I was concerned compared to the PS. It didn't come close to the amount of epic games its rival had. It had its monents, sure, but they were few and far between. 3rd party support crashed due to Nintendos mistreatment of developers for over a decade, and PS was simply alot cheaper and easier to produce software for.

Gamecube. I don't regret having my GC. The best games on my GC were just as good (and sometimes better) than the best on my PS2. But it was kind of a repeat of the gen before with 3rd parties sticking with Sony. So Sony still had the library to own that gen. And they dominated. Xbox was gaining favor at the time as well.

Wii. Still suffering from inadequate 3rd party support, but still managing to improve upon it from the GC era. The system has seemed dated for years, I don't feel it stands up well against PS3 or 360 after its 2nd year on the market. So imo the Wii didn't really bring much this gen. They're outclassed in every genre (my opionion). And their core franchises are evolving into a total bore.

Conjuration

I find it interesting how you tackled the comparison between old vs modern Nintendo solely from a 3rd party support perspective.

I mean it's great if I can play the 3rd party multiplats I'm interested on a Nintendo system, eliminating the need to purchase an xbox or playstation, but it's not that important to me, I can just buy another console and that's that.

To me this topic is about comparing the quantity/quality/approach to game design of Nintendo's 1st party output and exclusive 3rd party content. I buy a Nintendo system mainly to experience their exclusives, it's the only factor I look at when deciding if the system is worth getting.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts

Conjuration
Do you really think the wii was outclassed in every genre, I mean they were out classed in most genres, but can you name one 3d platformers that is better than SMG, I can't even name one 3d platformers that isn't on the wii, and Rayman origins is maybe better than NSMBW but that is also on the wii.
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fadersdream
[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

layton2012
Do you really think the wii was outclassed in every genre, I mean they were out classed in most genres, but can you name one 3d platformers that is better than SMG, I can't even name one 3d platformers that isn't on the wii, and Rayman origins is maybe better than NSMBW but that is also on the wii.

Wii did platformers better than anyone... problem is not many people care. Being the best at something that is barely relevant is only a critical accomplishment.
vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I enjoy all of Nintendo through the ages, but I must say that if you look at Nintendo and their exclusive efforts only, they are doing more now than before. Look at how many exclusive games were out on the Wii compared to the last few systems. Look at a quick list of what I remember from some systems.

SNES

Super Mario World, A link to the Past, Super Metroid, DKC1,2,3, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Kirby, Mario RPG, Punchout etc

N64

Super Mario 64, Waverace, Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK 64, Mario Kart, Rouge Squadren, Ocorina of time, Majoras Mask, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Mario Tenis, Paper Mario etc

Wii

Mario Galaxy 1,2, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Party, SSBB,Twilight Princes, Skyward Sword, MP3, M other M, The Conduit 1,2, Red Steel 1,2, No More Heros 1,2, Wario Ware, Kirby EPic Yarn, Kirby Return to Dreamland, DKCR, Super Paper Mario, Punchout, etc.

To me it just seems like there are just as many, if not more, main games released for the Wii. I don't really see that big of a difference in Nintendo now and then.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Is there a difference they've been re releasing the same games over and over again.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Cant really vote as I don't see a difference. Nintendo used to develop amazing games and try reaching as many gamers as possible. Same thing they do now. They're doing the same thing they've always done, now they're just better at it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Old N Big time since new N just ain't the same without Rare !! :cool:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

SecretPolice
I can say they are just fine without them.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Consoles, I prefer the modern one. Handhelds, I prefer the old one.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I find it interesting how you tackled the comparison between old vs modern Nintendo solely from a 3rd party support perspective.

I mean it's great if I can play the 3rd party multiplats I'm interested on a Nintendo system, eliminating the need to purchase an xbox or playstation, but it's not that important to me, I can just buy another console and that's that.

To me this topic is about comparing the quantity/quality/approach to game design of Nintendo's 1st party output and exclusive 3rd party content. I buy a Nintendo system mainly to experience their exclusives, it's the only factor I look at when deciding if the system is worth getting.

SuperFlakeman

I was trying to speak for both 1st and 3rd party games. But I did a poor job of expressing that.

Nintendo as a developer in the NES era was probably the best of its time. There was alot of talent around the industry, but Nintendos product was pretty much incomparable across the board. Their influence as a developer and publisher in this era are still everywhere you look today across all consoles. So, quality-wise they were at the top of the class.

In the SNES era they produced some of the greatest games of all time. Quality-wise, the majority their SNES 1st party library was industry-leading as far as I'm concerend.

Then the quality seemed to fall off in the N64 era. They put out a couple of the all time greats in this time, but could not hol a candle to their competition without the 3rd party support overall. They showed they were basically incapable of sailing their own ship. It was impossible for them to compete over the big picture.

The quality of their GC titles were really good. My only complaint was that their 1st party titles still lacked the depth I had become accustomed to on other consoles. For example: I felt Mario Kart DD needed more options for upgrading your cart, and more content in general. They had good quality, but their approach to gaming was starting to feel very cheap and arcadey. Still better than the N64 era, but still not making it happen like they used to in terms of evolving games and being creative. I felt like they were playing it too safe, and weren't showing the creativity they used to at this point.

Wii 1st party has its moments. But I still feel like they're playing ti safe, and not anywhere near the level of creativity and true innovation they displayed in the 80's and the better part of the 90's.

Old Nintendo was better at everything.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
How old we talking?
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

nintendoboy16

Doomed !!

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts

Probably old a little better than new, but I like the way they appear to be heading with the Wii U. Regardless, either old or new Nintendo is still better than 95% of the other developers.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I always felt Nintendo has had the best first party in the industry. Back in the day, it's competitors put up a fight, but nowadays, especially this gen, the compitition has dropped off in terms of first party. I feel Nintendo's quality has remained fantastic, but it's first party compitition has suffered.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 HFkami
Member since 2009 • 855 Posts
none, nintendo is the past for me, i grew up with playstation
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SuperFlakeman

How old we talking?SaltyMeatballs

Modern is DS and Wii and onward.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

SecretPolice

Doomed !!

You mean like rare is now? Being regulated to churning out nothing but kinect shovelware?
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Willy105

Is there a difference they've been re releasing the same games over and over again.Shielder7

The only one doing this right now is Sony. Unless HD makes it new again.

you really believe that? That's soooo cute. awww, look at the little fanboy, awwww.fadersdream

Have fun next-gen when Microsoft makes a Kinect console, and Sony makes a touch screen handheld (oh wait!).

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I prefer the Nintendo of old personally but I am able to appreciate the modern Nintendo as well.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I like Old Nintendo, but the stuff they are doing for the 3DS and the Wii-U is sounding really good. Next gen could change my mind.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] I can say they are just fine without them.Shinobishyguy

Doomed !!

You mean like rare is now? Being regulated to churning out nothing but kinect shovelware?

Just sayin, when one of the leading analyst on planet earth says..

http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/video-game-analyst-michael-pachter-says-nintendo-disarray

Who are you to disagree ? :twisted:

Oh for crying out loud, just messin. :P

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="Conjuration"]

fadersdream

Wii did platformers better than anyone... problem is not many people care. Being the best at something that is barely relevant is only a critical accomplishment.

And that truth is sad, platformers are still my favorite genre, and I own mostly platformers, why can't something look colorful and not automatically be considered kiddy, at least Sony has ratchet and clank, I can't name on platformer on the 360 .
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Middle-aged Nintendo.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

fadersdream

The Wii isn't modern?