Nintendo NX Mega Leak: Specs, Controller, Handheld, Better Performance Than PS4, And More

• 189 results
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Wonder how long(short) time this system will last, 3-4 years?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Desmonic
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605:

• The controller is an independent unit, with specs on par with a mid tier smartphone. It has microSD functionality.
  • The controller seems to be it- according to the developer, there is no NX handheld, it seems to be a gangland myth. The NX controller does not seem to be getting many independent games of its own, though it can get second screen apps/small minigames

These seem to be a bit of a contradiction, or maybe I'm not reading them right. Being an independent unit (with it's own hardware) would kinda imply separated functionality, too. In any case everything else sounds nice and actually plausible!

---------

Though I have a couple fears.

• That the controller, while awesome sounding, will be a bit of an expensive gimmick that will increase the price of the whole bundle too much. Nintendo already has an uphill battle to fight to recover the trust of gamers worldwide, an expensive box (anything above 399$ IMO) would only make it that much harder. Plus, assuming all of this true (which there is still a good chance it might not) the box would indeed be expensive-ish (least for Nintendo made hardware I mean). A box on par or above the PS4 would certainly be about 299$-399$ on it's own, but when you add the controller the price can probably escalate a bit more. We'll see. Mass production might be able to mitigate the overall price of the thing to more than reasonable levels.
  • Then there is the fact that by launching in 2017 Ninty will risk being caught in weird tech gap, much like the X360 and PS3 were. A mere 2 years later (2019 in this case) you can have the PS5/XB2 (or PS4.6/ XB1++) coming out with much stronger hardware at an affordable price thanks to things like Zen CPU from AMD, the new Polaris family (which I think refers also to APU solutions, not just GPU's, but don't quote me on this) also from AMD and of course, Gen 1 HMB (or perhaps even mid-low tier Gen 2 HMB (HMB2)) GPUs becoming affordable enough for console implementation (the price should get to a good place since we have AMD and Nvidia fighting each other with it). So yeah, the NX may sound like an awesome product right now, but not in a near future.

All that said, getting more and more hyped for whatever may come from Nintendo this year! :D

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Unless it's cheaper than ps4 or has something very unique i don't see it taking off and slightly more powerful than ps4 than means we are gonna end up with another Wii U one next gen starts.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Good.........more unreliable rumors.lol

I remember the same silly rumors for the WiiU,2 times-5 times 10 times more powerful than a PS3/XBOX360,and look what happen at the end.WiiU is weaker than a PS3/XBOX360.lol

Also if everything in the article is true, it seems like another case of too little too late. A brand new console coming out in 2017 that is on par with two consoles that have been on the market for years?.. Color me unimpressed.

It is too late for Nintendo.....PS4 have dominate the market.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Iove rumors that debunk other rumors.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@Kashiwaba said:

Unless it's cheaper than ps4 or has something very unique i don't see it taking off and slightly more powerful than ps4 than means we are gonna end up with another Wii U one next gen starts.

This gen just started....last gen lasted almost 8 years. An if Sony and MS can upgrade, why wouldnt Nintendo be able to do the same?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Sounds too good to be true.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#108 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Sounds too good to be true,

hanman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 hanman9
Member since 2005 • 410 Posts

I read this Stimpak_vendor dude thread before i came across the other dude Desmotor which i previously made a thread about.

First of all he repeatedly calls it DDR5, which is non existent!

Then he draws a picture of the controller, apologising for his crappy art skills...he's says he's a fucking art designer!!!

"Excuse my absolutely terrible MS Paint skills."

http://i.imgur.com/l93eEYA.png

Pfft!

And a 1080p screen for the controller for what exactly? Minigames? Customisable touch interface? Gimme a break! He's full of shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#110 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

While true, I want to think that since this isn't a new gimmick, they will actually use what they learned from the Wii U and keep those lessons in mind as they build NX games.

Basically, I am thinking of this in terms of how the second screen was approached on the DS's first batch of games versus the 3DS's first batch of games.

EDIT: I may be remembering wrong (although I am pretty sure I am not) but Mario 3D World neverforces the touch screen and mic on the player- there are I think three or four courses that are built around these inputs, but they are optional ones. You could finish the entire game using just the Wii U Pro controller.

I am not entirely sure if you can or cannot finish the game with just the pro controller but I know the stages that uses the mic and touch cannot be completed without the WiiU pad. If the screen is ALWAYS optional then I have not quibbles, everyone is happy.

There definitely are courses that require the touch screen and mic- however, as I said, these are very few in number, and all optional and unnecessary towards your overall progress.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aroxx_ab said:

NES: 1985-1994 (9 years)
SNES: 1991-1998 (7 years)
N64: 1996-2001 (5 years)
GCN: 2001-2006 (5 years)
Wii: 2006-2012 (6 years)

I don't quite understand what you are talking about, but okay.

@AtariKidX said:

I remember the same silly rumors for the WiiU,2 times-5 times 10 times more powerful than a PS3/XBOX360,and look what happen at the end.WiiU is weaker than a PS3/XBOX360.lol

Also if everything in the article is true, it seems like another case of too little too late. A brand new console coming out in 2017 that is on par with two consoles that have been on the market for years?.. Color me unimpressed.

Remember when the NX controller leaks were 'confirmed 100% real?' lol

EDIT: Also, Wii U is conclusively more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, it just never had the development support to prove that. Or are you saying a system with 2GB of RAM (just to grab one statistic) is weaker than systems with 512MB RAM? lol

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605:

• The controller is an independent unit, with specs on par with a mid tier smartphone. It has microSD functionality.
  • The controller seems to be it- according to the developer, there is no NX handheld, it seems to be a gangland myth. The NX controller does not seem to be getting many independent games of its own, though it can get second screen apps/small minigames

These seem to be a bit of a contradiction, or maybe I'm not reading them right. Being an independent unit (with it's own hardware) would kinda imply separated functionality, too. In any case everything else sounds nice and actually plausible!

---------

Though I have a couple fears.

• That the controller, while awesome sounding, will be a bit of an expensive gimmick that will increase the price of the whole bundle too much. Nintendo already has an uphill battle to fight to recover the trust of gamers worldwide, an expensive box (anything above 399$ IMO) would only make it that much harder. Plus, assuming all of this true (which there is still a good chance it might not) the box would indeed be expensive-ish (least for Nintendo made hardware I mean). A box on par or above the PS4 would certainly be about 299$-399$ on it's own, but when you add the controller the price can probably escalate a bit more. We'll see. Mass production might be able to mitigate the overall price of the thing to more than reasonable levels.
  • Then there is the fact that by launching in 2017 Ninty will risk being caught in weird tech gap, much like the X360 and PS3 were. A mere 2 years later (2019 in this case) you can have the PS5/XB2 (or PS4.6/ XB1++) coming out with much stronger hardware at an affordable price thanks to things like Zen CPU from AMD, the new Polaris family (which I think refers also to APU solutions, not just GPU's, but don't quote me on this) also from AMD and of course, Gen 1 HMB (or perhaps even mid-low tier Gen 2 HMB (HMB2)) GPUs becoming affordable enough for console implementation (the price should get to a good place since we have AMD and Nvidia fighting each other with it). So yeah, the NX may sound like an awesome product right now, but not in a near future.

All that said, getting more and more hyped for whatever may come from Nintendo this year! :D

It's an independent unit used to have second screen functionality, but is not a handheld. Not really a contradiction.

And while I understand the fear of the NX being outdone by the PS4.5 and Xbox One Elite, I do want to point out that the upgraded systems by definition will not be TOO much more powerful over the current PS4 and Xbox One, that's the point, or they fragment their userbase.

So basically they'll be incrementally upgraded, like DSi or New 3DS- which means either they are as powerful as the NX, or slightly more powerful, but the NX can keep pace with them, and continue to get third party support on par with them, albeit worse versions of all games in that scenario. This is presuming Nintendo do not eventually release a refresh for the NX of their own, which they very well might, because they were the first company to even discuss that idea.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@aroxx_ab said:

NES: 1985-1994 (9 years)

SNES: 1991-1998 (7 years)

N64: 1996-2001 (5 years)

GCN: 2001-2006 (5 years)

Wii: 2006-2012 (6 years)

I don't quite understand what you are talking about, but okay.

I think he's saying that he believes it will flop hard and its life will be cut short.

That, or he's complaining about Wii U getting replaced so soon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@techhog89: His posting history is full posts indicating (falsely) that Nintendo pull support for their systems beforehand. I am pointing out that he is full of shit.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Techhog89

@charizard1605 said:

@techhog89: His posting history is full posts indicating (falsely) that Nintendo pull support for their systems beforehand. I am pointing out that he is full of shit.

Lol. That's funny. Sounds like a troll. Anyway, fair enough.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321:

You think Nintendo can handle another console with short life cycle people are already losing faith in Nintendo and if they do it again i would say it's the end for Nintendo as a console maker the strategy of releasing a new console every mid gen is really stupid Nintendo can't pull that off without differentiating themselves from the competition and i don't see Nintendo doing that.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Desmonic
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605:

Second screen functionality doesn't really require "specs on par with a mid tier smartphone" though. The WiiU remote already does this, to a certain extent, and it certainly does not have "mid tier smartphone" as far as I'm aware. But again, maybe I'm just misinterpreting the whole thing.

Notice as I mentioned "PS4.6 and XB1++"(or XB Elite +, or whatever you wanna call it) :P That is, I'm considering the scenario of Sony and MS releasing either a second upgrade or new machine altogether from 2019, onward.

A PS4.5 or XBE would, at first glance, retain many of the current hardware specifications and be minor-ish upgrades, thus the NX would still be in a very confortable position (again, assuming all we know from ALL the rumours is true). A second update, which is the case I mention, might not be quite that case anymore. Especially if it turns out to not be an upgrade and it's actually a new system altogether. That would imply, going by past gens on Sony and MS machines, a very decent upgrade in raw power.

Of course that is absolutely nothing stopping from doing the exact same (a NX+ or NX.5 or whatever) but, again, under the case of the rivals releasing new hardware with all/any of the new tech I mentioned, NInty would be in that weird spot I mentioned. Not exactly "weak", but not exactly "up to par" either in a very short amount of time.

---

Whatever the scenario, Hype will be abundant! Can't wait for more details!

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By AtariKidX

@charizard1605 said:
@AtariKidX said:

EDIT: Also, Wii U is conclusively more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360, it just never had the development support to prove that. Or are you saying a system with 2GB of RAM (just to grab one statistic) is weaker than systems with 512MB RAM? lol

I

The WiiU have more RAM but that it is not make the WiiU more powerful than PS3/XBOX360......and that is why even and today no game on WiiU looks better than the best look games on PS3/XBOX360.

Also more RAM not make a console more powerful.You can put 8GB RAM on the PS3/xbox360 but they will never produce graphics like the PS4/XBone.But it is obvious that you don't have any idea about graphical capabilities.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@AtariKidX said:
@charizard1605 said:
@AtariKidX said:

I

The WiiU have more RAM but it is not more powerful than PS3/XBOX360......and that is why even and today no game on WiiU looks better than the best look games on PS3/XBOX360.

Also more RAM not make a console more powerful.You can put 8GB RAM on the PS3/xbox360 but they will never produce graphics like the PS4/XBone.But it is obvious that you don't have any idea about graphical capability's.

It's obvious you don't have any idea about reading and comprehension.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 AtariKidX

@charizard1605 said:
@AtariKidX said:
@charizard1605 said:
@AtariKidX said:

I

The WiiU have more RAM but it is not more powerful than PS3/XBOX360......and that is why even and today no game on WiiU looks better than the best look games on PS3/XBOX360.

Also more RAM not make a console more powerful.You can put 8GB RAM on the PS3/xbox360 but they will never produce graphics like the PS4/XBone.But it is obvious that you don't have any idea about graphical capability's.

It's obvious you don't have any idea about reading and comprehension.

..............lol

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#120 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

ARM cannot be more powerful, Tegra is the fastest around. Fake.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Fake.

Didn't read all of it but skimming through, Nintendo wouldn't use GDDR5. They would use Arm though.

Also it would have more than 8GB.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Techhog89
@Random_Matt said:

ARM cannot be more powerful, Tegra is the fastest around. Fake.

An ARM CPU can definitely beat the Jagar in current consoles, and Terga X1 does not have the fastest ARM CPU. GPU, maybe, but not CPU.

@Chozofication said:

Fake.

Didn't read all of it but skimming through, Nintendo wouldn't use GDDR5. They would use Arm though.

Also it would have more than 8GB.

Why wouldn't they use GDDR5? That seems perfectly reasonable. They aren't adverse to fast memory perhaps apart from the Wii U. I'd say it's about a 50/50 shot. Now if we were talking about GDDR5X...

For the record though. I am sure that these specs are fake as hell.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I'm tired of guessing if there is any truth to rumors. Enough Nintendo! Spill the beans already! You suck. Unless the NX is great, in that case thank you. The way they have been so quiet about it, expectations are all over the place. Better just to tell us what it is. If it isn't as good as the rumors which frankly aren't that good it's going to be a disaster.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#126 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

hehehe...nice rumour...next!.. :P

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@AtariKidX:

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@techhog89: Nintendo likes a mix of low latency memory and eDRAM, from the gamecube to Wii U as well as smaller memory buses. Granted the Wii had some Gddr3, but that was because they also had the low latency 1T-SRAM from the gamecube in it as well, which served their low latency needs. Ps4 is one huge pool of graphics memory with a large memory bus, both of which go against how Nintendo has built their machines.

HBM makes the most sense, since it's both low latency and even faster than eDRAM, making it obsolete so that's what I think they'll use. Maybe some DDR3/4 + HBM because more than 8gb's of hbm would be too expensive.

I know one thing for sure, it'll have more than 8GB's, there's no reason to not put more memory in it than an older console has, because it gets cheap so fast.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

as usualy treating it as rumor.

on it being ARM based: makes sense for nintendo. they do know ARM very well and have a mature and tested toolchain to deal with it. they can also reause a lot of it in a future handheld. from a 3rd party perspective its certainly an improvement over using powerPC but not ideal. its not going to stop them porting though if the NX is successful. i have suspected that they would go down the ARM route (though, again, im not saying this is a fact for now) though i thought that AMD said they were making the CPU for the NX also. i know AMD have plans involving ARM but is it ready?

a lot of the stuff on the interals of the machine also make sense. the GDDR5 (i suspect they were never really happy with the wiiu architecture) sounds good. hopefully there is a HDD in there as standard in the retail unit also and that it can be replaced with off the shelf parts.

the OS is no surprise. the android rumor died pretty quickly. i am concerned on the level of services nintendo can offer based on their own OS though. compared to the full fat OSs in the PS4 and X1 it's probably going to be fairly simple. still it could be good enough. hopefully it's also much faster than the wiiu OS in terms of just getting around and please...PLEASE...dont have it taking up 4GB of ram (the fact that the leak is unclear on this is not good for the strength of the leak).

the controller seems a bit messy.

according to the leak, the controller will run its own application that runs its own logic, draws its own graphics and interacts with the game on the NX console (as opposed to the wiiu, which has to run all the logic, rednering and streams the results to the controller). a bit like the GC to GBA connection.

on the one hand this can make sense. if the screen is really 1080P then having the NX itself render encode and send a 1080P image at 60FPS to the controller is going to take a toll. having the hardware on the controller deal with that would make life easier for the console.

but it costs money. the gamepad on the wiiu has basically no processing power (it just decodes video and audio and sends controller data...a very light load) and it still added to the cost of the console significantly. i cant see how nintendo can make a controller with mid range phone specs and a 1080P screen (and other bits and bobs) and keep costs down.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Techhog89

@Chozofication said:

@techhog89: Nintendo likes a mix of low latency memory and eDRAM, from the gamecube to Wii U as well as smaller memory buses. Granted the Wii had some Gddr3, but that was because they also had the low latency 1T-SRAM from the gamecube in it as well, which served their low latency needs. Ps4 is one huge pool of graphics memory with a large memory bus, both of which go against how Nintendo has built their machines.

HBM makes the most sense, since it's both low latency and even faster than eDRAM, making it obsolete so that's what I think they'll use. Maybe some DDR3/4 + HBM because more than 8gb's of hbm would be too expensive.

I know one thing for sure, it'll have more than 8GB's, there's no reason to not put more memory in it than an older console has, because it gets cheap so fast.

HBM is expensive in general since it needs a lot of things to work. It's out of the question IMO.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#131 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@killonsight said:

"I am a AAA dev who actually works with a real NX devkit"

Precisely my thoughts. There is no reason to believe this rumor any more than the previous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@techhog89: I couldn't find anything on HBM costs but it should be doable in lower amounts.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I'm hoping these leaks are completely wrong. 'slightly more powerful than PS4' yeah let's get really excited about that. ffs...

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Here is the rough sketch of the Dev kit controller. It's shaped like the NES controller, but hopefully has more rounded edges.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#135  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@Kashiwaba said:

After the last set a rumors I take this with a grain of salt, but my reaction was the same in that "slightly more powerful" means equal or less when it comes to multiplat results.

I call bs since NX will likely be x86.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#136 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Another day another leak. I like what I see.

Loading Video...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Techhog89

@Chozofication said:

@techhog89: I couldn't find anything on HBM costs but it should be doable in lower amounts.

Let me put it this way: it won't be used in any new GPUs other than the Radeon Pro Duo this year. HB1 is limited to 4GB and I believe has a minimum of 1GB.

On top of the cost of HBM itself, it needs an interposer and the memory controller needs to be specific to it. 4GB isn't enough, HBM2 is is basically a 2017 product that will only be in high-end GPUs due to yields and cost. The fact that no GPU under $500 is expected to use HBM2 until mid 2017 or later says a lot. Putting two memory controllers on the SoC would be very complex on top of all this. This could easily all add $50 to the BOM for very little benefit. It's much more likely that the main system RAM will be 8GB of DDR3, DDR4, or GDDR5, while the SoC has eSRAM like the XBox One (though possibly more of it).

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Rumours!!!

Tomorrow, the Nintendo NX will cure cancer and it will be able to create in real life any Pokemon you want...and people will still bitch about it.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#139 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Slighty stronger than 3year old counterparts, no super gimmicks -> sounds too good to be true

Man Nintendo really has set the bar high!

HAHAHAHA!!!

Nintendo is blazing trails that have never seen before in consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@techhog89: 4GB would absolutely be enough unless NX is 3x Ps4 which it won't be. But yeah any more than 4GB would be impossible.

Both DDR and HBM wouldn't have to be on the SOC.

This is a shot of the Wii U motherboard, the squares with yellow around them is the DDR3 memory. Basically you'd replace the eDRAM on the SOC with HBM, and still have DDR3/4 outside the SOC.

16/24GB of DDR, plus 4GB HBM would be easily doable. When you see a rumor saying it'll have 8GB you know it's fake because they would be crippling the new console for a few extra bucks. It's why Wii U, despite the gpu only being 50% more powerful than 360 had 4x the memory ; memory's cheap.

Anyway they may or may not use HBM, if they don't I suppose it'd have to have 64mb's of eDRAM at least.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Techhog89

@Chozofication said:

@techhog89: 4GB would absolutely be enough unless NX is 3x Ps4 which it won't be. But yeah any more than 4GB would be impossible.

Both DDR and HBM wouldn't have to be on the SOC.

This is a shot of the Wii U motherboard, the squares with yellow around them is the DDR3 memory. Basically you'd replace the eDRAM on the SOC with HBM, and still have DDR3/4 outside the SOC.

16/24GB of DDR, plus 4GB HBM would be easily doable. When you see a rumor saying it'll have 8GB you know it's fake because they would be crippling the new console for a few extra bucks. It's why Wii U, despite the gpu only being 50% more powerful than 360 had 4x the memory, it's cheap.

I didn't say that the DDRx would have to be on the SoC. As for HBM, it is A LOT bigger than eDRAM and requires another component known as in interposer to work. Here's what a chip using HBM looks like:

The large die in the middle is the AMD Fiji GPU, and it's flanked by four HBM chips. That GPU die alone is much larger than the entire Wii U SoC, so imagine the HBM compared to that. Size, however, is the least of the issues. The HBM chips themselves are expensive and difficult to produce. The GPU needs a memory controller specific to HBM in order access it, which means that it cannot use any other type of memory without using a second controller. All of this is sitting on an interposer, which itself is also very expensive and difficult to produce. And on top of that, the interposer would have to be modified to allow access to memory outside of it. What you're suggesting would dramatically increase the cost of the hardware for very little gain, and it would require specialized components not used anywhere else. It would mean a $400-450 console just to match PS4.

Also, no, it will not have 16GB of RAM lol. What are you expecting out of PS4k in that case? 32GB? 64GB?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
@techhog89 said:

Also, no, it will not have 16GB of RAM lol. What are you expecting out of PS4k in that case? 32GB? 64GB?

So how much did you think the PS4 would have, bet it wasn't 8GB.

Seems HBM is a bit trickier than I thought though. We'll see, bye!

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

The nintendo nx doesn't have to go up against the ps4 and xbox one. It has to go against the ps5 or ps4.5

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

The new rumors references in the OBE1 video above indicate that the NX is rectangular controller with a screen, shoulder wheels, and ZL and ZR buttons. The screen is not a touch screen with haptic feedback according to the source. I hope that the screen is still touch so it can at least be used as a keypad and maybe applications like art academy.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Techhog89

@Chozofication said:
@techhog89 said:

So how much did you think the PS4 would have, bet it wasn't 8GB.

Seems HBM is a bit trickier than I thought though. We'll see, bye!

I admit that I was expecting 4GB for PS4, but to be fair that was Sony's original plan. Microsoft used 8GB due to wanting better multimedia capabilities, and Sony obviously had to increase PS4's to match. For NX, it's almost certainly going to be 8GB, with 12GB as an absolute maximum.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

In the OBE1 video above the source says he does not think the NX is backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS, but the NX dev kit does have a disc drive. Why would Nintendo have a disc drive in the NX if it was not backwards compatible with the Wii U? I was thinking that the NX would use cartridges based on the patents that did not include a disc drive but did have a cartridge slot.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Its funny that it is news for being more powerful than PS4 for a gen 9 console.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I need to know what's really going on. These false rumors are not cutting it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

Its funny that it is news for being more powerful than PS4 for a gen 9 console.

The thing is... I am not sure this is ninth generation.