Nintendo may have won the E3 with just one game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

afrihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 afrihan
Member since 2010 • 128 Posts

Of course they did not, but Nintendo really is shooting their own foot, considering how much gamers are interested in their games and how much Nintendo is year after year missing chances to compete with Ms and Sony. Look at this huge line for a single game:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

should go 3rd party already...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

They're probably in line to see what a WiiU is.

lmao

---

Anyway, here's the thing: Nintendo still make the best games, when they try. They're still supremely talented developers. I just don't think they have it in them to be good hardware makers, network service providers, and so on.

Honestly think the games are amazing- everything else about the company is fucking frustrating.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46217 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@getyeryayasout said:

lmao

---

Anyway, here's the thing: Nintendo still make the best games, when they try. They're still supremely talented developers I just don't think they have it in them to be good hardware makers, network service providers, and so on.

Honestly think the games are amazing- everything else about the company is fucking frustrating.

That reads like they should leave the hardware and network making to different people.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Nintendo is prepped to snatch another console victory from the twins with the NX.

I heard old Zelda had the longest line at e3.

It's happening...just like the wii. Sony and Microsoft should have made sure old ninty was dead.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@getyeryayasout said:

lmao

---

Anyway, here's the thing: Nintendo still make the best games, when they try. They're still supremely talented developers I just don't think they have it in them to be good hardware makers, network service providers, and so on.

Spot on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R4gn4r0k: It does, doesn't it?

Then why haven't they done so already? There is nothing about their games that validates the old 'Nintendo games would only work on Nintendo hardware' argument anymore, after all.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

There is no way, just no way I would ever wait in line that long to play a game, or to eat a food, or to do anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@sailor232 said:

There is no way, just no way I would ever wait in line that long to play a game, or to eat a food, or to do anything.

It's Zelda, people still go crazy for a new one of those- especially when it's a new Zelda like this one seems to be.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k  Online

@charizard1605 said:

Then why haven't they done so already? There is nothing about their games that validates the old 'Nintendo games would only work on Nintendo hardware' argument anymore, after all.

People just fear another SEGA. Where Sonic completely sucked after they stopped creating their own hardware. The same could happen to Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc we just don't know.

I'd love to see them do it, but there is no way back.

And what if... What if Nintendo leaves console gaming to make their games exclusively on mobile from now. Frankly, I'd rather continue buying their hardware exclusively for their games than that happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R4gn4r0k said:
@charizard1605 said:

People just fear another SEGA. Where Sonic completely sucked after they stopped creating their own hardware. The same could happen to Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc we just don't know.

I'd love to see them do it, but there is no way back.

And what if... What if Nintendo leaves console gaming to make their games exclusively on mobile from now. Frankly, I'd rather continue buying their hardware exclusively for their games than that happening.

I don't want Nintendo games on mobile. I want them on actual good hardware. This means one of two things:

• They put them out on PC, PlayStation, Xbox
  • They put out actual good hardware themselves

I don't care which route they take, but I need their games to stop being hamstrung by their own stupid hardware for once.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nintendo always brings the gaming world to its knees when they really want to. If this game was out on Wii U in 2013, there would have probably been 35 million units sold already. If I have one criticism of Nintendo, its that they need to get their games out sooner. Wii U wouldn't have nearly been the 'disaster' it is considered if their games launched 6 months to a year earlier.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@sailor232 said:

It's Zelda, people still go crazy for a new one of those- especially when it's a new Zelda like this one seems to be.

Yeah I know I'm not judging them or anything, just stating my personal feelings that I would never wait in a line that long.

It's an amazing line, people are crazy dedicated to play Zelda, or to get a hands on for publication purposes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online

@charizard1605 said:

I don't want Nintendo games on mobile. I want them on actual good hardware. This means one of two things:

I don't care which route they take, but I need their games to stop being hamstrung by their own stupid hardware for once.

Yeah the first would be a dream scenario. Because then they wouldn't be limited by hardware.

I fear the NX will be underpowered compared to Neo and Scorpio ... again.

But there are many more scenarios that could happen. I'd still like it if Nintendo went further with handheld development (so we at least have one company there). And then put their major home titles across all three platforms. They could start by releasing their older games on PC/PS4 and Xbone. Instead of making us buy these games on each console they themselves release xD

Wouldn't mario maker be bloody amazing if PC/PS4 and Xbone gamers were all developing levels for it too ? Man, so many dream scenarios. But it could turn into a nightmare too :/ You never know in this industry.

Let's put our money together and buy Nintendo so we can stop the bad scenarios from happening. How much you got ? I got about three dollars fifty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@R4gn4r0k said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah the first would be a dream scenario. Because then they wouldn't be limited by hardware.

I fear the NX will be underpowered compared to Neo and Scorpio ... again.

But there are many more scenarios that could happen. I'd still like it if Nintendo went further with handheld development (so we at least have one company there). And then put their major home titles across all three platforms. They could start by releasing their older games on PC/PS4 and Xbone. Instead of making us buy these games on each console they themselves release xD

Wouldn't mario maker be bloody amazing if PC/PS4 and Xbone gamers were all developing levels for it too ? Man, so many dream scenarios. But it could turn into a nightmare too :/ You never know in this industry.

Let's put our money together and buy Nintendo so we can stop the bad scenarios from happening. How much you got ? I got about three dollars fifty.

I have 47 cents, and an old pack of M&Ms I could sell.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@charizard1605 said:

I have 47 cents, and an old pack of M&Ms I could sell.

I think we have a chance. I'm going to get in contact with Nintendo !

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The Wii U being under-powered was never an issue for me. Many games still looked damn gorgeous: Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and Zeld: BotW looks imressive as well. There's also the fact that the Wii U's hardware was still perfectly capable of handling a game like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda: BotW seemed to work fine as well judging by the E3 showing.

I think the issue is that, while NIntendo had a great handle on their hardware, they did a poor job of accomodating for third parties or helping them adapt to it. And when judging the Wii U hardware itself, I didn't much care for how little storage the system came with, and was disappointed at how little distance you could get with the Wii U gamepad's wireless connection with the Wii U itself; you pretty much had to keep the Wii U gamepad close to the console to even use it.

afrihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 afrihan

@DJ-Lafleur said:

The Wii U being under-powered was never an issue for me. Many games still looked damn gorgeous: Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and Zeld: BotW looks imressive as well. There's also the fact that the Wii U's hardware was still perfectly capable of handling a game like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda: BotW seemed to work fine as well judging by the E3 showing.

I think the issue is that, while NIntendo had a great handle on their hardware, they did a poor job of accomodating for third parties or helping them adapt to it. And when judging the Wii U hardware itself, I didn't much care for how little storage the system came with, and was disappointed at how little distance you could get with the Wii U gamepad's wireless connection with the Wii U itself; you pretty much had to keep the Wii U gamepad close to the console to even use it.

Well, mine covers a range of about 5 meters

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

GOSH! And I could not get into the Outlast 2 demo at Pax East because the line was cut off after FOUR F'N PEOPLE! lol

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

Nintendo won E3?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:

I agree, i think Nintendo is actually the best at making Hardware, the other companies just play copycat and lack innovation. Wii U Gamepad using Gyro on Zelda Wii U is a game changer. I wish the Gamepad had better range too, would be nice to take it anywhere and on the go.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

NO......................of course they did. Nothing approached Zelda imo.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

MS' decision to treat the PC as their platform is the best thing that's happened to Nintendo in a long time. But until they wanna talk NX, they can eat a bag of (you finish the rest).

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

Zelda may be the best game of the E3 but that alone doesn't compare with the sheer amount of content that the other platforms have.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

All the hype reminds me of e3 2006 when Nintendo hands down won e3. I bought a Wii day one because of it and that console turned out to be the worst purchase I've made.

Zelda looks good but I get the feeling behind the awesome art style there isn't much there.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Their line was actually super long not only because people wanted to play the game but because they had an enclosed booth area that they were only letting people into a few at a time. The entrance looked like this:

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

From accounts by the likes of Gamestop and Ubisoft, Nintendo is poised to re-claim the success of the Wii. And with game megatons like the new Zelda, they'll be back on top right out of the gate.

Get ready for a very gimmicky console with a ball park power range of Xbox One and PS4.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

In my opinion simply because of Zelda they did. Looks great and still my number one can't wait for game.

If you aren't into Zelda their showing was a turd.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Xbox showed off the better lineup of games but Nintendo showed off THE game.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Loading Video...

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

I'll be honest, I've never played a Zelda game before. So to me, it looked like one of the random indie games I can buy on Steam. What was impressive to you guys about it?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@afrihan said:

Of course they did not, but Nintendo really is shooting their own foot, considering how much gamers are interested in their games and how much Nintendo is year after year missing chances to compete with Ms and Sony. Look at this huge line for a single game:

Of course the line is big, its the only Wii U game available on the show floor to play.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp said:
@afrihan said:

Of course the line is big, its the only Wii U game available on the show floor to play.

So why were all the others games being demoed from other companies featuring small lines? LOL.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emgesp

@bunchanumbers said:

Nintendo always brings the gaming world to its knees when they really want to. If this game was out on Wii U in 2013, there would have probably been 35 million units sold already. If I have one criticism of Nintendo, its that they need to get their games out sooner. Wii U wouldn't have nearly been the 'disaster' it is considered if their games launched 6 months to a year earlier.

You're way overestimating Zelda's appeal. A Zelda game hasn't broke 5 million units sold since Twilight Princess for the original Wii and that was with a 100 million user install base.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:

You're way overestimating Zelda's appeal. A Zelda game hasn't broke 5 million units sold since Twilight Princess for the original Wii and that was with a 100 million user base.

Dat numbers game tho! Zelda whoopin that arse.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:
@emgesp said:
@afrihan said:

So why were all the others games being demoed from other companies featuring small lines? LOL.

Because there are way more games to check out for the PS4 and XB1 so the lines are way more spread out. It makes perfect sense if you just use some common sense.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Yeah, that does make sense. They just wanted to try other games out instead of their favorites. Too bad all put together was still empty. e3 was a ghost town thanks to Zelda, ask anyone at e3.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

What do you mean "may have"?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 emgesp

@iandizion713 said:
@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:

You're way overestimating Zelda's appeal. A Zelda game hasn't broke 5 million units sold since Twilight Princess for the original Wii and that was with a 100 million user base.

Dat numbers game tho! Zelda whoopin that arse.

In comparison Skyward Sword only sold about 4 million units. Looks like Zelda's appeal has been dwindling.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Yeah, the remaster on 3DS only sold 4 million+ too, Zelda better watch out.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: Yeah, the remake on 3DS only sold 4 million+ too, Zelda better watch out.

The franchise seemed to peak in 2006 with Twilight Princess and no Zelda game after has managed to sell as well or better than that game since.

It looks like for now its leveled off to about 4 - 4.5 million.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iandizion713

@emgesp: Yeah, sucks bro, hopefully Zelda can do better then 4 million.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

@emgesp: Yeah, sucks bro, hopefully Zelda can do better then 4 million.

Well, luckily for Nintendo they have two ports of the game. Though, I'd imagine most would get the NX version.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iandizion713

@emgesp: I hope so too, NX gone give it to yah.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:

You're way overestimating Zelda's appeal. A Zelda game hasn't broke 5 million units sold since Twilight Princess for the original Wii and that was with a 100 million user install base.

I don't think I am. Zelda is a game that attracts all the core gamers. Lets say that Wii U launches with BotW. Gamers would have flocked to it in droves. The image of Wii U being impossibly weak would have been proven wrong. It would have ended up with a much bigger install base to launch. It also would have been THE option for console games for a year. Maybe some things change because of it. GTA5 may have ended up getting past the port demo phase and got a full launch. It would have ended up being the prettiest version of GTA 5 until the X1/PS4 launch years later.

There's always factors that determine a consoles fate. E3 2013 determined the fate of the X1. Sonic determined the Genesis. FF7 determined the PS1. I'm just saying that if Nintendo can ever find a way to launch their big franchises faster than 4 years into the consoles life, then the fate of their consoles would be much gentler.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emgesp

@bunchanumbers said:
@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I don't think I am. Zelda is a game that attracts all the core gamers. Lets say that Wii U launches with BotW. Gamers would have flocked to it in droves. The image of Wii U being impossibly weak would have been proven wrong. It would have ended up with a much bigger install base to launch. It also would have been THE option for console games for a year. Maybe some things change because of it. GTA5 may have ended up getting past the port demo phase and got a full launch. It would have ended up being the prettiest version of GTA 5 until the X1/PS4 launch years later.

There's always factors that determine a consoles fate. E3 2013 determined the fate of the X1. Sonic determined the Genesis. FF7 determined the PS1. I'm just saying that if Nintendo can ever find a way to launch their big franchises faster than 4 years into the consoles life, then the fate of their consoles would be much gentler.

No, games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros brings in the core gamers in droves. They are the true system sellers for Nintendo. Zelda sells good, but not nearly as well as those other titles. Just look at 3DS sales of those franchises.

Mario Kart 7 = 12 million sold

Smash Bros 3DS = 7 million sold

Zelda A link Between Worlds = 3 million sold

afrihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By afrihan

@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@emgesp said:
@bunchanumbers said:

No, games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros brings in the core gamers in droves. They are the true system sellers for Nintendo. Zelda sells good, but not nearly as well as those other titles. Just look at 3DS sales of those franchises.

Mario Kart 7 = 12 million sold

Smash Bros 3DS = 7 million sold

Zelda A link Between Worlds = 3 million sold

Mario Kart and Smash Bros have in common the magic word: multiplayer

Mario Kart especially appeals to pretty much everybody, from kids to adults, who can have fun playing that simple, yet challenging game; and it's some kind of racing game, people are attracted by the racing/sports genre.