Nintendo LABO has only sold 1 million units since release. The Curse of the Cardboard?

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

It was released in April 2018. Should we be expecting better sales for these pizza boxes? PSVR, which people said would completely flop, is nearing 4 million sold, and has/had a price tag of $250-$400.

If PSVR is a flop, what does that make LABO?

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/nintendo-labo-sales-2018-1203125619/

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-evergreen-switch-software-labos-performance/

WITNESS ME

Rare look at how Nintendo's online servers actually work:

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PSVR > Labo

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Who said PSVR was a flop? ? Anyway, it's no secret that the LABO sales didn't meet Nintendo's expectations. But considering how much skepticism and ridicule it received from the start, 1 million ain't too bad.

Seems they're trying to remarket it as an educational tool in schools now, so more power to them.

Funny GIF captions though, gotta give you that haha.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46448 Posts

A million people bought a piece of cardboard?

That's insane! How did Nintendo get people that far?

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Huh... the way it's promoted with new editions continually being released, I would have thought it sold better.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11158 Posts

1 million too many if you ask me.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

I mean seriously, did Nintendo think a peace of cardboard would be a hot seller, lol. I'm surprised this flop sold 1 million, tbh.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56229 Posts

Nothing that sells more than a million copies is a "complete flop" in my opinion of course, especially at the elevated price point. There is a huge gaping space between "complete flop" and "lights the whole world on fire and utterly dominates the industry". Not everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever but still, LABO was a Gimmick and nothing more/less.

Edit: The same goes to PSVR, it sold over a million and that too isn't a flop.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@davillain- said:

Nothing that sells more than a million copies is a "complete flop" in my opinion of course, especially at the elevated price point. There is a huge gaping space between "complete flop" and "lights the whole world on fire and utterly dominates the industry". Not everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever but still, LABO was a Gimmick and nothing more/less.

Edit: The same goes to PSVR, it sold over a million and that too isn't a flop.

Yep. But alas, gamer logic never fails. These are children who know nothing about how the world works.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

For how much those things cost that actually a lot of sales.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

@vfighter: Exactly it's freaking cardboard, since it is so cheap the amount of profit made on each labo sold is a lot of money.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Pretty sure that it didn't flop. People says it flop if it doesn't meet expectation....just like BLOPS4. It made $500 million, but not enough. Does that mean it flopped?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Well, I thought it was very creative and I for one appreciated them taking mankind a step forwards in terms of digital manuals (though it should let you skip steps entirely if you want to).

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

"Curse of the Cardboard" made me chuckle.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

I guess you really can sell ice to Eskimos.

How embarrassing.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

£70 cardboard. LOL. People were hyping this and defending it. It really is Nintendo's answer to VR.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

this shit sold 1M? lol

i could go to my local supermarket, get empty cardboard boxes and make this crap myself for free lulz

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mandzilla  Moderator
@FinalFighters said:

this shit sold 1M? lol

i could go to my local supermarket, get empty cardboard boxes and make this crap myself for free lulz

That's incredible dude, could you program the software yourself too?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

Lol, bravo with the nintendo online.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7263 Posts

Surprised labo hit one million be interesting to hear who's actually still got the cardboard and not been accidentally thrown in trash.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:

LABO sold a glorified mini game wrapped with cardboard for $70. I think it's safe to say they made a profit despite it's a Gimmick.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yep. But alas, gamer logic never fails. These are children who know nothing about how the world works.

When you think about it, Nintendo has what, $4 Billion and even if this didn't reach over $1 million, Nintendo has nothing to lose, but Sony does if they aren't careful how to not waste money.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts
@davillain- said:

When you think about it, Nintendo has what, $4 Billion and even if this didn't reach over $1 million, Nintendo has nothing to lose, but Sony does if they aren't careful how to not waste money.

lol, what? Sony is like 4 times bigger of a company than Nintendo.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11158 Posts
@FinalFighters said:

this shit sold 1M? lol

LMAO! Nintendo's gonna try to sell off all their recyclables to their fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Dumbo Nintendo. What's next Plastic Labo lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

PSVR > Labo

i have to agree. if it was this or vr i would have chose vr. :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

You know, I always appreciate Nintendo's approach to design, how they try to make things tangible and real world, really make things present and try to incorporate a social aspect (a real, in-person social aspect) to it.

But this was just, I don't know...lame.

TBH I am shocked it sold that much. Good for them.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

Suggesting that a bunch of video game nerds want to play with cardboard isn't gonna fly. A weird Nintendo decision in the midst of a successful run.

See with Nintendo though, they'd rather take a chance on something odd than pump yearly FPS games down your throat. I can respect that, but it doesn't always hit the mark. Labo just weird.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

The only people here who care are trolls who think that Nintendo fans care.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I think this could have been the best product Nintendo ever made.

I'm not really sure what it is even now after watching the 'What is Nintendo Labo?' video https://labo.nintendo.com. I think it's making housings for the wiimote or something then pretending it's a steering wheel or flight stick.

I think I was expecting Meccano but it turned out to be origami.

Classic Meccano Model-T design
Classic Meccano Model-T design

This a a huge missed opportunity because if Nintendo made it programmable with a simple language - some kids have no problem learning coding if it's explained and actually really enjoy it. With modular components it could have taken the world by storm as a product.

I'm thinking a real life minecraft with redstone, switches and pistons.

My Primary school still has, 20 years after me leaving, just the one programmable rover thing to teach angles or something, for it's high tech learning, in fact, it's just a smaller version of the one we weren't allowed to touch when I was there. Just two programmable electric motors in a plastic dome, each wheel controlled independently. There was a robotics event (below) but I think programming needs to be taught more in schools.

I can see why Nintendo used cardboard, having thought about it a bit. If they want to sell to 5 year olds, using metal would have resulted in too many injuries and honestly, using plastic would be a dick move, environmentally speaking.

So people turn their noses up because cardboard is such an out of date technology but it's better than metal or plastic (in this case) and If it's coated it shouldn't go soggy if it gets wet.

Really a raspberry pi would be much more interesting to most kids though.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

It just proves that Nintendo fanboys will buy ANY trash as long as it has a Nintendo logo on it.

Imagine if Nintendo make a cardboard master sword? The fanboys would have went ape-ish and bought 10 million of the damn things.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandzilla  Moderator

@ajstyles: Was wondering when you would show up.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Marketing, Nintendo.

There is a sales floor for just about anything if you market it enough.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Suggesting that a bunch of video game nerds want to play with cardboard isn't gonna fly. A weird Nintendo decision in the midst of a successful run.

See with Nintendo though, they'd rather take a chance on something odd than pump yearly FPS games down your throat. I can respect that, but it doesn't always hit the mark. Labo just weird.

I doubt this was particularly "risky" considering it's a low budget game combined with cardboard kit. Small dev costs. Risky is when developers commit to something big. This seems more like a "spaghetti against wall" strategy. Spaghetti is cheap.

The riskiest thing was probably figuring out how many to produce. How to get store to stock them on their shelves as they take a bit of space. But Nintendo is generally conservative about such things. So it's not like they were going to produce 10 million and be stuck with 9 million of them. Instead, they probably only produced barely more than 1 or 2 million and if it had turned into some sort of hit, then people just wouldn't be able to get them (or have to wait awhile).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

It got nintendo slapped on to it so it sells 1m. If this was some random devs I think it would struggle to hit even 50k

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mandzilla  Moderator

@sakaixx: It's still a quality product. If all to took for something to sell well was a big company slapping their brand on it then the PS Classic would be flying off the shelves now.

Beat128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Beat128
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

well they got them for 40$ when on sale now more likely a clearance get rid of them. not many want pay 79$ for card board im sorry

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

@mandzilla: Its hard to gauge if its nintendo, their fanbase is more inclined to buy compared to other console publishers. I compare them to apple fan in term of buying pattern, its a complement to nintendo to have such fanbase.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

They sold one million CARDBOARD kits. I do not see the appeal, but Jesus, i'd struggle to call selling a million pieces of cardboard a flop. Even with the software, the profit margin must be pretty damn solid on those things.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

One million sold for a pack of cardboards is impressive. I was thinking it sold about 50k.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't understand people's negative obsession with this. It's a really cool idea. Like, really cool (for nerds and creative types). I used to have chemistry sets, electronics kits, and made robots any chance I could, be it with legos, wiring up roaches to microcomputers, or standalone programmable kits. I would have loved the sh*t out of this as a kid.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog said:

I don't understand people's negative obsession with this. It's a really cool idea. Like, really cool (for nerds and creative types). I used to have chemistry sets, electronics kits, and made robots any chance I could, be it with legos, wiring up roaches to microcomputers, or standalone programmable kits. I would have loved the sh*t out of this as a kid.

I don't even hate LABO myself. I know it's not targeting for me, it's somebody else it's targeting for. If LABO was able to sell over $1 million, it's doing something and maybe not alot but I take it as better then nothing.

I'm not gonna lie, it looks cool on paper, but playing it today's standard looks silly if you ask me. If this thing was made in the 90's, I would be the coolest kid in my neighborhood lol :P

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@xantufrog: I am negative about this because Nintendo’s rabid fan base will buy anything Nintendo makes despite the poor quality.

It sends the wrong message to Nintendo when their fans will buy anything. It means Nintendo doesn’t have to try at all because their fans are easy to please.

Miyamoto could poop in a box and sell it for $10,000 and one of the fanboys would buy it.

I can’t stand people who settle for less. You should be angry Nintendo makes trash cardboard. Not go along with it, spend $100 on it and pretend you are having fun.

But whatever bro. Something something fool and money are soon departed. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think Nintendo's goal with the Labo thing was to experiment with a new type of gaming concept, and see how people responded. Nintendo has tried for years to expand the idea of what a video game can be, and I think maybe they were looking at Labo as a relatively affordable way (for those who already own a Switch) to get people interested in how things work.

Did I think it was stupid? Yeah. Did it meet expectations? I sorta doubt it. But I think Nintendo is looking at games from the perspective of, "What can this technology be used for, in fun ways, besides gaming as is?"

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I don't see the appeal ... then again i'm in my early 30's so that's probably why.

With that being said, i think the product does have a market for little kids so it doesn't surprise me that they have sold 1million copies.

Was it a failure ??? maybe ... but at the same time, i don't think Nintendo was planning this to sell in the millions.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Last I checked...Nintendo's direct competitors, Sony and Microsoft, have never "pumped out yearly FPS games".

Weird flex but ok.

Davidbottner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Davidbottner
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

He did not recognize

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ajstyles: your reply is predecated on the idea that this is objectively a worthless trash idea. Now, I'm not going to convince you otherwise, I'm sure, but my comment was based on my completely different opinion that this is a cool idea. So... Maybe we just have different tastes

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#49 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah when it was first revealed I was not impressed by the concept and won't ever be buying one. Lol

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mandzilla  Moderator
@sakaixx said:

@mandzilla: Its hard to gauge if its nintendo, their fanbase is more inclined to buy compared to other console publishers. I compare them to apple fan in term of buying pattern, its a complement to nintendo to have such fanbase.

Well that's not always the case, look at LABO. Switch owners knew what they were getting with that product, and clearly it wasn't for everyone since it only topped a million sales.

Compared with the other console publishers, I guess Nintendo is at a bit of an advantage in that they've been around longer and have more iconic game characters to drive sales. I'm sure if Sony or Microsoft had existed for decades in the gaming business they'd have a similar legacy appeal. Not to mention, Nintendo has managed to build up customer loyalty over the years by putting out quality software. For the most part you know you're buying something good.