Nintendo is one of the few companies that gets DLC right

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Well, it's not a bad deal, but if the game had shipped with good characters from the beginning the DLC wouldn't be as needed. More tracks are understandable as DLC though.

The original game had exactly as much content as any Mario Kart game has had. it had the biggest roster in the series too. The roster still did suck, though.

@MBirdy88 said:

@charizard1605: Day 1 purchase... when is it available?

Mario Kart 8 made me love the series again.... which I havnt for a long time.... good balance, good online, incredibly pretty game, infact I could watch that for hours over anything on PS4/X1 so far...

16 new tracks is insane.

For purchase, it's available right now, but you can't actually download the two packs until November and May respectively.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#102 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@yokofox33 said:

Well, it's not a bad deal, but if the game had shipped with good characters from the beginning the DLC wouldn't be as needed. More tracks are understandable as DLC though.

The original game had exactly as much content as any Mario Kart game has had. it had the biggest roster in the series too. The roster still did suck, though.

@MBirdy88 said:

Mario Kart 8 made me love the series again.... which I havnt for a long time.... good balance, good online, incredibly pretty game, infact I could watch that for hours over anything on PS4/X1 so far...

16 new tracks is insane.

For purchase, it's available right now, but you can't actually download the two packs until November and May respectively.

Well it's not available in Europe yet. At least not where I live.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KungfuKitten said:

@charizard1605 said:

@yokofox33 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

16 new tracks is insane.

Click on the Shop icon in game, lol.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#104 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

$12 for a map pack, a couple new characters/skins, and vehicle skins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@papatrop said:

16 tracks, eight brand new vehicles, and six new characters.

'Fucking nothing' indeed.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#106 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@charizard1605 said:

@yokofox33 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

16 new tracks is insane.

-_______- I was looking on their eshop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KungfuKitten said:

@charizard1605 said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@charizard1605 said:

@yokofox33 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

16 new tracks is insane.

-_______- I was looking on their eshop.

Haha. Well, just boot the game, the Mercedes stuff should be downloadable from the shop menu, and this DLC should be available for purchase too. If you can't find it, just go to the character selection screen, Link will show up there on the bottom, click on him and it will take you to the purchase screen.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 PapaTrop

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

It is when you're trying to showcase Nintendo as someone who gets DLC right

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@charizard1605: "Good DLC" is in the eye of the beholder. "Bad DLC" is exactly the same.

If the content is pandering to what you want you will buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@papatrop said:

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

.... what more do you want? you pay that friggin price for 3-4 maps on CoD ... you get 16 tracks.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i was just reading that on another site. i saw the price then the additions were displayed in such a way that i though it was 7 pounds for just 2 characters and some suits. i was thinking "not a chance". then 8 tracks aaaaaaand im sold.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 PapaTrop

@MBirdy88 said:

@papatrop said:

Charizard said:

@papatrop said:

.... what more do you want? you pay that friggin price for 3-4 maps on CoD ... you get 16 tracks.

No doubt Activision is shit, but Nintendo is not "one of the few companies that gets DLC right" by doing this. That's all I'm saying.

There are many companies that have offered comparable DLC, or DLC that far exceeds this in value. I have games on my PC that have 10x as much content today as when they launched, and I didn't spend a cent to get any of it from the dev.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@papatrop said:

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

If you're going to make out Nintendo is the god of DLC and one of the few who ever gets it right just because they've finally dipped their toes in you might want to release a DLC that's not run of the mill. If this post was just about Nintendo finally getting the idea right there would be few complaints. But as usual, Nintendo is the only one doing it right. Like cult members fanboys can't see past this one avatar.

And people need to stop quoting the COD map packs as if they are the only DLC out there. We've all seen DLC before, you can't fool us by continuously quoting examples of bad DLC as to why Nintendo is the only one doing it right. They're not. They're not even doing it among the best. This is average. Normal. Usual.

Every time someone calls a Nintendo fanboy out on their bullshit they turn to COD. God damn grow up. COD isnt the only game out there on other consoles. It's not the only game people enjoy. It doesn't enhance your machine not being able to play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@DocSanchez said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@papatrop said:

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

If you're going to make out Nintendo is the god of DLC and one of the few who ever gets it right just because they've finally dipped their toes in you might want to release a DLC that's not run of the mill. If this post was just about Nintendo finally getting the idea right there would be few complaints. But as usual, Nintendo is the only one doing it right. Like cult members fanboys can't see past this one avatar.

And people need to stop quoting the COD map packs as if they are the only DLC out there. We've all seen DLC before, you can't fool us by continuously quoting examples of bad DLC as to why Nintendo is the only one doing it right. They're not. They're not even doing it among the best. This is average. Normal. Usual.

Every time someone calls a Nintendo fanboy out on their bullshit they turn to COD. God damn grow up. COD isnt the only game out there on other consoles. It's not the only game people enjoy. It doesn't enhance your machine not being able to play it.

How about backing up your claims then, yes Charizard's title is exagurated. but it IS good value for money.

Prey-tell whats better... maybe you need to grow up considering how agressive you got so quickly.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DocSanchez

Oh and I'll reiterate: This is not 6 new characters. 3 of them are already in the game. Mario putting on a furry suit is no more a new character than Ryu putting on an orange robe is a new character or Guile in a pair of shades is a character. Reskins for reskins. What they should have done instead is to put kid icarus in a car instead.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DocSanchez

@MBirdy88: I've played a lot of games in my time and the title of this thread is ridiculous. I've already said in my posts DLC which far outweighs this, particularly undead nightmare. I will add to that basically all the skyrim DLC, all the GTA IV DLC, all the freebies you get on GT6, Freedom's Cry, the tons of old expansion packs you used to get in games like Ultima VII. It's not a hard question for me to answer.

I'd put this along with Far Cry 3's high tides DLC as neat extras although that one was free. It's still very decent value and if I was a fan of the game I'd get it.

If this thread was celebrating Nintendo getting into the DLC business, I'd still call it out for hypocrisy considering the fanboys were railing against it when Nintendo wasn't doing any but at least I wouldn't call it out for it's blatant hyperbole.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@DocSanchez said:

@MBirdy88: I've played a lot of games in my time and the title of this thread is ridiculous. I've already said in my posts DLC which far outweighs this, particularly undead nightmare. I will add to that basically all the skyrim DLC, all the GTA IV DLC, all the freebies you get on GT6, Freedom's Cry, the tons of old expansion packs you used to get in games like Ultima VII. It's not a hard question for me to answer.

I'd put this along with Far Cry 3's high tides DLC as neat extras although that one was free. It's still very decent value and if I was a fan of the game I'd get it.

If this thread was celebrating Nintendo getting into the DLC business, I'd still call it out for hypocrisy considering the fanboys were railing against it when Nintendo wasn't doing any but at least I wouldn't call it out for it's blatant hyperbole.

Far Cry 3 I agree...

But you cant bring expansions into this... from the past.. that business model is rare now... and not in the same category. DLC and expansion while similiar.... are not equal.

though I cant disagree with what you say either. its not bad value.... 16 new tracks alone.... thats a 3rd more content basically. for £11 .... no that unreasonable ...

Hell I consider Diablo only having 1 new world a bigger crime at £40 .... yes I know it has other new features. but still.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Wiiu is 1/5th the power of the next gen consoles but is much more than 1/5th the price so the least Nintendo could do is offer good dlc deals.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DocSanchez

@MBirdy88: The only old fashioned expansions I mentioned were Ultima and Baldur's Gate, and I see the likes of Undead Nightmare as similar - which are DLC no matter how you look at it. And the way I like it. Taking a finished game and ramping it up for the fans of it.

Horse armour is a crime. Shivering Isles isn't. MK8's DLC is a positive, but not at the upper echelons of it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#120 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Damn, that is a really excellent deal. I'm very wary of DLC, normally, but if more companies do it like this, I'll come to like it.

GeekInkINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 GeekInkINC
Member since 2014 • 206 Posts

Nintendo forever, fellas. Cheers.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#122  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

This is great DLC for a kart racing game, and it's reasonably-priced. But I still wouldn't call it the best example of DLC done right, not even currently--*cough* Dark Souls 2: Lost Crowns Trilogy *cough*.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#123  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Link and Animal crossing characters is the first steps to a Mario Kart racing game with full on Nintendo characters. A "Nintendo Kart" is an interesting proposition with potential to have much more variety in items and tracks due to the previous constraints of the exclusive Mario world being set in place.

But is anyone else much more interested in a real Battle Mode? Anyone? That would be DLC that adds tons of replayability.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Here's the best way to do DLC: don't do it.

EDIT: unless it's purely aesthetic. That's fine.

I'd rather DLC than them releasing another Mario Kart on Wii U. They're selling half the game's worth of content at quarter the full price. It's a good deal. Further, it breathes life into the game. Personally, I played Mario Kart Wii for a very long time, but for the last few years I'd always wished that the game could be freshened up somehow. DLC precisely solves this problem. MK8 will have a long life ahead of it thanks to good value DLC.

The best way to do DLC is exactly how Nintendo has done it with MK8.

How about this: design a game that doesn't need "life [breathed]' into it.

Think about it, a game that is designed well enough to where they don't need to justify extra sales to keep you interested.

Games like Tekken should come to mind. Harada has done it - worldwide. The only DLC were extra soundtracks lol. And ****, I got them because the team deserves it.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@papatrop said:

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

But CoD comes with a shit ton of content out of the box and CoD's campaign cutscenes alone probably costed more to produce than all of Mario kart.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

That's a good deal, I'll admit, but again it feels like Nintendo puts the cart before the horse. Standardization of online. Make a unified online platform, then go from there. And take online content off the hardware and onto accounts by me just punching in a new user and pass. I'm touching nothing digital of Nintendo's no matter how well priced until these things are done.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

That's a good deal, I'll admit, but again it feels like Nintendo puts the cart before the horse. Standardization of online. Make a unified online platform, then go from there. And take online content off the hardware and onto accounts by me just punching in a new user and pass. I'm touching nothing digital of Nintendo's no matter how well priced until these things are done.

I am in the same boat.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#128 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Who wants to play as other characters anyway the best DLC by far was RDR Undead Nightmare had about 6 hours of gameplay.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#129 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

mercedes DLC makes this post null and void.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts

I LOL'D, HARD!

You would have had a point. What they did with Mario Kart was really good.

Then Amiibo came along. This is hands down the worst handling of dlc we've ever seen. £12.99 or so for silly little items that should be 50p each. It's ridiculous. They don't even sell the stuff on the Nintendo store. e.g. Epona in BOTW, or the spinner weapon in Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo can go suck a fat one, I'll never support such disgusting practices.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@lemmingslayer said:

I LOL'D, HARD!

You would have had a point. What they did with Mario Kart was really good.

Then Amiibo came along. This is hands down the worst handling of dlc we've ever seen. £12.99 or so for silly little items that should be 50p each. It's ridiculous. They don't even sell the stuff on the Nintendo store. e.g. Epona in BOTW, or the spinner weapon in Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo can go suck a fat one, I'll never support such disgusting practices.

Check the age of this thread. It was necro'ed

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@rdchili96: Don't necro threads. You can create your own new discussion if you can't find a topic newer than three days old.