aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

According to Nintendo, its because of the 3ds' cpu cant handle the 16 bits. This means that SNES games will not be coming to the original 3ds.

“As previously announced, New Nintendo 3DS has an improved CPU, which enables Super NES games to run on the system with quality results,” Game Informer was told by a Nintendo representative. “The Super NES games also include Perfect-Pixel mode, which allows players to see their games in their original TV resolution and aspect resolution.”

Is the 3ds really that weak though? People can run SNES games on psp, so I feel like it cant be too bad to run on 3ds. What do you guys think, is it Nintendo not wanting to put extra work into it to get it to run on the original 3ds or is the og 3ds just that under-powered?

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/09/nintendo-explains-why-snes-games-will-only-run-on-new-3ds.aspx?utm_content=buffer745ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They just want to sell New 3DS,lazy excuse.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm sure the 3DS can run the SNES games, but running it with the Home Menu and Miiverse integration as well as giving it Save States probably costs a lot of CPU power or whatever.

That or Nintendo is just trying to add more value into a New 3DS to get people to buy more.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Its a BS excuse...they just want to give the impression that New3DS have more of its *own* games..so it can sell more. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

I'm sure the 3DS can run the SNES games, but running it with the Home Menu and Miiverse integration as well as giving it Save States probably costs a lot of CPU power or whatever.

That or Nintendo is just trying to add more value into a New 3DS to get people to buy more.

It's a little of column A, little of column B.

The home-brew can do it argument falls a bit flat. They'll push the system all the way, when Nintendo is clearly not going to drop features like Home and save states. IIRC, the 3DS isn't much beyond the PSP at the end of the day.

Of course, given how they expect people to rebuy them on 3DS, there's the undeniable money grab aspect too.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LegatoSkyheart

@darkspineslayer: Yeah I had the feeling that the 3DS can do SNES when I'm playing GBA titles on my 3DS with no problem. I always assumed it was an OS fault

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

It's a little of column A, little of column B.

The home-brew can do it argument falls a bit flat. They'll push the system all the way, when Nintendo is clearly not going to drop features like Home and save states. IIRC, the 3DS isn't much beyond the PSP at the end of the day.

Of course, given how they expect people to rebuy them on 3DS, there's the undeniable money grab aspect too.

I agree, I mean, I don't see how the original 3DS can't run SNES games but can run GBA games that basically 16-bit games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: The GBA titles DID get to drop OS features. And IIRC they literally run in DS mode, so it's not exactly emulation?

Don't quote me on any of this. maybe @charizard1605 can explain better.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I am reassured with my n3DS purchase.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LegatoSkyheart

@Legend002: I just want to comment that I am in total agreeance of your Sig and Avatar.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: I respect those with great taste. *<3 Cordelia*

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
@superbuuman said:

Its a BS excuse...they just want to give the impression that New3DS have more of its *own* games..so it can sell more. :P

To be fair, in Nintendo's eyes, it's probably true. They also said the same thing about GBA games on 3DS, yet I have the GBA Ambassador games and they ran on my original 3DS with no issues at all, but Nintendo said they weren't high enough quality to sell..

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@spike6958 said:

To be fair, in Nintendo's eyes, it's probably true. They also said the same thing about GBA games on 3DS, yet I have the GBA Ambassador games and they ran on my original 3DS with no issues at all, but Nintendo said they weren't high enough quality to sell..

Remember something: It isn't a lie if YOU believe it. Nintendo obviously believes their own b.s.

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheNDefender
Member since 2016 • 299 Posts

Ehhh, to be honest I don't care at all about this. I got a N3DS because: the L button broke on my old 3DS so it hindered my 100% run in OOT3D and my playthrough of Smash 3DS, my birthday was less than a month before it came out so it made a great late birthday present (Birthday January 18, release date February 13), and I just wanted an upgrade because I have had the same old 3DS for almost 3 years so I felt it was time to upgrade. I also got some armor for the N3DS while later (probably July or August 2015?) so it's now drop proof.

Anyway, the best thing to do is just wait for a price cut on the N3DS which probably will happen around later this year and then get the SNES games. I'm not going to get any SNES games on my N3DS until the Unified account system is activated across the world, which is probably the smartest thing to do right now if you have a N3DS.

I guess the reason they did the SNES games was because they wanted to add more exclusivity to the N3DS because there weren't any big exclusives for that system (as in not many N3DS exclusives).

So in conclusion, this is probably a dumb excuse, but it doesn't affect me at all, nor should it affect any other N3DS owners either. However, I would wait until the Nintendo Account launches, so that way we won't have to worry about buying the same game twice.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

My DS runs SNES games. And that's all I'm going to say about that (I'm aware of forum rules :)). Nintendo now realizes the benefit of the eshop, and downloading games. So, it will get people to buy the New 3DS. It won't matter either way. The NX will replace it soon enough.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If Nintendo think their customers will believe that that, then they obviously think their customers are morons.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@aigis: "people can run SNES games on psp"

What?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@PSP107 said:

What?

PSP was pretty much a portable emulator machine

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah it's a bullcrap excuse.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@sonic_spark:

DS does not run them "quality", EVEN when adding an additional cart. Even psp is not perfect. Nintendo is pretty ace when it comes to VC quality. Couple hiccups here and there but it's clear a lot of effort goes towards getting a quality representation.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Ehhh, sounds like an excuse not to do the extra work making it run on older 3DS models. I mean, I've seen hackers running N64 emulators on PSP and 3DS should be more powerful than THAT.

Disappointed because I want to purchase SNES games but I only have an original 3DS. Oh well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

sounds like a load of shit they made up to sell more New 3DS handhelds

they got Galaxy Force II arcade port running on a 3DS they can sure as shit get an SNES emulator running if they tried

anyhow, people can buy those flash carts that have removable micro-SD cards to play DS/GBA ROMS on the regular Nintendo DS, and they also had emulators to run SNES games from, if they can run SNES games on a DS they surely Nintendo can do it legit on a 3DS too

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

It has nothing to do with the 3DS being under-powered or them not wanting to put in the work, they want to sell New 3DS's and they want people to double dip to buy New 3DS's...

What a lazy excuse, absolutely terrible.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@PSP107 said:

What?

It requires homebrew, but it is possible. You can actually run n64 games on psp too, but its not that great

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

All you suckers probably buy the same Virtual Console games on Wii, WiiU, and N3DS

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

They want you to buy the new hardware.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Heil68 said:

And they also want you to rebuy the games as well....

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:

And they also want you to rebuy the games as well....

yeah and you cant blame them. I bought NES games on Wii, so I've shown that the system works.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

lol What a load of shit.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Good grief they are full of crap on this. 3DS must be many, many times more poweful than SNES. There is no way it can't emulate SNES games. Doesn't it emulate N64 games? It even has a pretty good port of a Wii game (and yes, I realize a port is not the same as emulation... but still). This excuse is laughable.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Well, i just have a 3DS, so i guess i need to find a sucker to sell it and get the N3DS.

Or just keep my 3DS and don't bother with the SNES thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I wouldn't buy SNES games on the 3DS regardless, but my question is... if I buy an SNES game on any Nintendo system will it be available on any other Nintendo system that also supports SNES games?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

I don't believe this, but even if I did it's not what's too concerning. What's bothersome is why, now that Nintendo has consolidated their online accounts, crossbuy does not apply? You have to buy the whole game, AGAIN, instead of being able to download it for free had you purchased it prior on the Wii or U. Nintendo has everyone's purchase history from their NNID.

There's a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that Nintendo's not going to bring accounts as everyone has been hoping for. I don't believe they ever specifically stated they would, it was just an assumption from gamers. This isn't boding well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Huh. I had no idea the DS was more powerful than 3DS. The DS can run SNES games. I fucking hate when companies lie, hoping we're idiots.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

@Litchie said:

Huh. I had no idea the DS was more powerful than 3DS. The DS can run SNES games. I fucking hate when companies lie, hoping we're idiots.

I don't think they're lying 100% here. I'm fairly sure they could get every SNES game running perfectly on older 3DSes, but they'd need to code it specifically to that hardware instead of placing it into an emulated environment which basically "brute forces it" (or so is my understanding). Homebrew 3DS SNES emulation is choppy as hell, and those who've tried it support Nintendo on this. But again, if they really wanted to I've no doubt it could be done. Just another example of them being lazy or not seeing enough profit in it to be worthwhile.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

So is the original 3DS's CPU weaker than a freaking Intel Celeron from 2001? Because that is what I had back then and I played SNES games via emulation just fine on it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Litchie
@beardmad said:

I wouldn't buy SNES games on the 3DS regardless, but my question is... if I buy an SNES game on any Nintendo system will it be available on any other Nintendo system that also supports SNES games?

No. Nintendo is very greedy with their VC games. You'd think you could recieve a download code for a game you've purchased that you can activate on all Nintendo platforms it's available on (to make up for their inability to provide an account for us), but no. More money is better. I've personally bought Super Metroid three times because of this. Looks like I'll have to buy it a fourth time if I want a 3DS version.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie
@MirkoS77 said:
@Litchie said:

I don't think they're lying 100% here. I'm fairly sure they could get every SNES game running perfectly on older 3DSes, but they'd need to code it specifically to that hardware instead of placing it into an emulated environment which basically "brute forces it" (or so is my understanding). Homebrew 3DS SNES emulation is choppy as hell, and those who've tried it support Nintendo on this. But again, if they really wanted to I've no doubt it could be done. Just another example of them being lazy or not seeing enough profit in it to be worthwhile.

True, I remember now that you mention it that SNES game didn't work good on DS. They almost worked though, and if some random dude can do that, I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves can make them work on a regular 3DS. Even though SNES games don't run good on the DS, they still run good on other older-than-3DS hardware. It's probably as you say, though. The little hassle of getting SNES games to work on regular 3DS is probably enough for Nintendo to not bother at all.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

If I remember right the chip used in the SNES was (6502?) actually a 32bit internal chip. That could be the reason?

Then there was a custom scaling chip, and a custom audio chip, plus the fact your translating from long word to short word RISC chip. Probably more overhead then that cheap arm chip can handle.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yup, clearly a moneygrab. Everyone knows that if you want to sell billions of units you need to provide a handful of old ass games

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Why doesn't the PS4 just play all PS3 games? Or the XB1 just play all X360 games? All marketing ploys? Hmm. That could be part of it. Emulation isn't necessarily possible or easy on certain hardware, even if that hardware is 10x more powerful. Also depends on how accurate you want it to be emulated.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

I been loving my new 3DS for awhile now and Nintendo can make those claims all they want, it doesn't bother me at the slightest.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22549 Posts

I've got 2 3ds and I'm barely playing them... I really would've been downloading Snes games like crazy if this feature were available, but alas.... No new 3ds in my future nor handheld Snes games :(

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

Why doesn't the PS4 just play all PS3 games? Or the XB1 just play all X360 games? All marketing ploys? Hmm. That could be part of it. Emulation isn't necessarily possible or easy on certain hardware, even if that hardware is 10x more powerful. Also depends on how accurate you want it to be emulated.

The PS3 is technically faster than the PS4 at certain tasks so it's impossible to emulate it at full speed. I'm no expert but I think the 3DS is many times more powerful than the SNES.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

Meanwhile, Sega has been releasing Genesis and arcade games on the 3DS with actual 3D visuals and all those bells and whistles like save states and crap. Sega does what Nintendon't even to this day.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Gorillanator said:

Meanwhile, Sega has been releasing Genesis and arcade games on the 3DS with actual 3D visuals and all those bells and whistles like save states and crap. Sega does what Nintendon't even to this day.

Yeah, what's up with that?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

So my 3DS can run Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time...PERFECTLY...but can't handle the all mighty SNES. LOL

I love you Nintendo but seriously...STFU you lying liars.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

So my 3DSXL can play remaster games from the N64 like Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time and Sega's 3D Classics.........but it can't play SNES games.....???????lolololololololol

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#49 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

They gotta move the New 3DS somehow. Until now there was no point other than Xenoblade 3D and Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Gorillanator said:

This just in: The Snes, even to this day, was and always has been the most powerful console ever made. Nintendo's dirtiest little secret has now come to light. The SNES is the graphics king.