• 62 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Nintendo DS vs PlayStation Vita (59 votes)

Nintendo DS 69%
PlayStation Vita 31%

Okay, so this is what it all came down to.

I asked you all what your favorite Nintendo handheld is, and after an asinine three way tie that lasted two days, you guys finally voted the DS the winner (... as of right now. Please don't go back and vote for something else to tie it again).

I asked you all what the best PlayStation handheld is, and that one was a whole lot more one sided, with the PS Vita getting the lion's share of votes.

So, of these two, then, which is better?

The Nintendo DS (and especially in its Lite incarnation) might be the greatest, most perfect handheld ever conceived- an ambidextrous layout, two screens that protected themselves with a clamshell layout, a battery that really never dies, and a system that differentiated itself from the competition and from home consoles so much it got all these amazing games that simply weren't possible anywhere else- mind you, no other handheld ever, Nintendo or otherwise, has actually differentiated itself like the DS did. Oh, and the DS's library! It is probably the greatest handheld library of all time. With the entire backing of first party and the most third party backing (western and eastern) a Nintendo system has ever gotten, the DS was a goldmine of brilliant, amazing, quirky games. It is the veritable PS2 of handhelds, and it shows. When you throw in GBA compatibility that was available in most DS systems on the market, it just becomes hilariously overkill, there's no stopping that.

The PS Vita is a gorgeous piece of kit. Immaculately crafted, it may actually be the best designed and engineered hardware this generation for what it is (yes, better than even the PS4). And on the older model, that OLED screen is a thing of beauty, gorgeous and stunning, that makes you sit up and take notice. The Vita took several cues from the DS too, differentiating itself from every other system on the market, with not just its touch screen- everything has a touch screen these days- but also a rear touchpad, which, okay it sucks, but it's there. Much better was the Vita's attempt at having two analog sticks, meaning the Vita actually learned from its predecessor, which isn't necessarily something we can say about the DS's successor. The Vita's tragedy is is that as great as the hardware is, the library lets it down- it never got the support it deserved, not from third parties, and not even from Sony, who consistently treat it as the red headed step child. Nevertheless, it has amassed an impressive collection of incredible games (including my favorite game of all time), a lot of which come from an unexpected direction- indie developers.

So, those are the two systems going head to head. Which ones win for you?

Here's my ranking:

1. Nintendo DS
  2. PlayStation Vita

This was, sadly, not even a competition. Not only is the Vita's library completely dwarfed by everything the DS has to offer- and again, the DS has a staggering amount of things to offer- but the hardware itself, as handheld hardware, has too many flaws, whereas the DS hardware achieved everything it set out to do. Notably, the Vita's poor battery life or its reliance on proprietary overpriced memory cards must be mentioned.

Nevertheless, this is just what I think, and you are all free to disagree. So I ask you- Nintendo DS vs PS Vita? Which system will win the battle of handhelds?

• 
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#1 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

The DS has games

The Vita has tumbleweeds

The winner is clear.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Lolvita

yeah, the DS takes it easily

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

Yes, let's compare a 7 year old system that came out during a different era to the 2.5 year old Vita. I know you were going to spew your normal sheep propaganda here so I won't even go into it. But I will say your comments about library, battery life, and even memory cards are nonsense. My slim gets gets great battery life and I bought a 16gb memory vita memory card for $20. But anyway, carry on.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Wut. Lol Vita has no shot.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

Oh, and by the way, remember my thread about lack of indies on 3DS? Well I just proved my point even more with their recent firing of Dan Edelman. Told you it has nothing to do with hardware. It's about culture.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

Yes, let's compare a 7 year old system that came out during a different era to the 2.5 year old Vita. I know you were going to spew your normal sheep propaganda here so I won't even go into it. But I will say your comments about library, battery life, and even memory cards are nonsense. My slim gets gets great battery life and I bought a 16gb memory vita memory card for $20. But anyway, carry on.

You're right, it was an unfair comparison...for the vita

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Pfffffthahahahaha.

DS obviously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Hey, every now and then, you should actually try reading the OP to see why the Vita is being pit against the DS.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

As much as I enjoy my Vita, DS takes the crown. Amazing library of games. You can't play Pokemon or Ghost Trick on the Vita unfortunately.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: have you ever seen the 3ds shop? It has a ton of indie games. It doesn't have a lot of the ones on Vita.eg: Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Lone survivor. But it does have it's share of Indies not on Vita. Shovel Knight, Mighty Switch Force, Cave Story, Ikachan and a lot others. Just sheep don't go around parading them as the best thing ever. Keep in mind I never said it surpasses Vita just that it's really not lacking.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

DS, easily.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

3DS and DS are tied again in that poll..

The fact that DS >>>> Vita just shows that 3DS >>>> Vita too. No contest really.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

The Vita is a porting machine. One after the other.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Any nintendo handheld is a more accomplished system than the Vita.

It's a beautiful and elegant device, and it's way way way way way way way way way way way way more comfortable to hold than the 3DS, but that's because Sony actually makes good hardware. It's just outclassed where it matters most. The GB is superior, the GBA is superior, the DS is superior, and even the underwhelming 3DS is superior. So Nintendo gets to dominate the tallest midget competition. Woooooo

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@jg4xchamp said:

It's a beautiful and elegant device, and it's way way way way way way way way way way way way more comfortable to hold than the 3DS, but that's because Sony actually makes good hardware. It's just outclassed where it matters most. The GB is superior, the GBA is superior, the DS is superior, and even the underwhelming 3DS is superior. So Nintendo gets to dominate the tallest midget competition. Woooooo

I find the Vita to be rather uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of play

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

and regardless of that it would still be an ergonomically superior device.

que "no derp, that's an opinion, derp", spare me the song and dance, and lets move forward from this disagreement.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

@jg4xchamp said:

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

and regardless of that it would still be an ergonomically superior device.

que "no derp, that's an opinion, derp", spare me the song and dance, and lets move forward from this disagreement.

um, wtf?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The 3ds tied with the DS....clearly the superior HH aka 3DS should've won the tie breaker.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

The 3ds tied with the DS....clearly the superior HH aka 3DS should've won the tie breaker.

At the time this poll was made, the DS was winning by 3%.

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh. The DS Lite was a thing of beauty. The GBA SP was a thing of beauty. The Gameboy Micro was a thing of beauty.

Sure, the 3DS line is more or less ill thought out, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo's handhelds were always classed out in hardware. The DS Lite was a more ergonomical device than any PSP model, much better designed and thought out, much better battery, much more sturdy and durable, it was, all in all, just a much better handheld. The games were icing on the cake.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ballroompirate

Sure char, I won't judge you...that much :P

Also the DS was like the definition of a shovelware HH, of course the 3DS has Shovelware as well but no where near as much as the DS had.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ballroompirate said:

Also the DS was like the definition of a shovelware HH, of course the 3DS has Shovelware as well but no where near as much as the DS had.

Of course the DS had shovelware. Every popular system has shovelware. The NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii all had shovelware too.

But the DS also had an insane amount of super high quality games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I pick the 3DS.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

How the friggin hell did the vita beat the PSP? Holy shit SW is filled with idiots.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The DS has games

The Vita has tumbleweeds

The winner is clear.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@inb4uall said:

How the friggin hell did the vita beat the PSP? Holy shit SW is filled with idiots.

They're idiots because you don't agree with them?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@faizan_faizan said:

@inb4uall said:

They're idiots because the PSP was a system Sony actually supported. The vita is something Sony continues to only make games for in Japan. The rest of it's games are indies games that you can play on a shitty laptop.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Why make this the 3DS wins because the Vita failed to show up.

The PS Vita is nothing more than a Wii U controller for the PS4.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#28 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

DS

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The Vita shouldn't even be as close as it is. DS all the way.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol vita lol

DS and its not even remotely close.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

DS, of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shielder7 said:

Why make this the 3DS wins because the Vita failed to show up.

The PS Vita is nothing more than a Wii U controller for the PS4.

Which makes it a tragedy, because it could be so much more.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@faizan_faizan said:

@inb4uall said:

They're idiots because the PSP was a system Sony actually supported. The vita is something Sony continues to only make games for in Japan. The rest of it's games are indies games that you can play on a shitty laptop.

Again, that's your opinion.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#34 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@charizard1605: PSP was a pretty darn good system too. It was an all-in-one entertainment devlce before there was an iPhone. It had a library that (shockingly), distinctively differentiate itself from the DS (Tekkan, Burnout, NBA Live, GT, God of War, and a host of JRPGs).

DS is GOAT, however. No handheld would ever compare to the DS, not past, present or future. I would dare say it was the PS2 of handhelds. Too bad its FE offering was subpar (Shadow Dragon was a mediocre remake, and lol at FE12).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Gee... I wonder?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hiphops_savior: Oh, the PSP was amazing. It often goes toe to toe with the DS for me in terms of my favorite system last gen, and I adored what that system brought to the table, what it had to offer. I absolutely loved it, but the PSP, much like the 3DS, was as great as it was in spite of its poorly conceived and designed hardware, rather than because of it.

To contrast with that, the DS and the PS Vita are as great as they are because of how well thought out they are, instead of being held back by their hardware.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@faizan_faizan said:

@inb4uall said:

Sony ended up porting over almost all of the games it "supported" on PSP to the PS2 and PS3 anyway. What good is that kind of support when most people would rather just play the superior HD console ports?

I think Sony themselves realized there's little point making Vita exclusive software when most people would rather play the types of games they make on console with better graphics. Especially since the Vita is capable of playing PS4 games via Remote Play anyway. By making a game for PS4, you give dual Vita/PS4 owners the choice of playing the game on the big screen or on a small screen if they prefer.

Heck, even Nintendo has come to the point where they're questioning the logic behind making separate games for consoles and handhelds, as their very public comments about creating a unified architecture for consoles+handhelds points to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SakusEnvoy: Nintendo's comments are meant in a very different context, please do not misconstrue them. Nintendo refers to having one unified hardware platform in the future, with varying form factors- not dissimilar to iPhone and iPad, which have the same hardware base and OS powering them, but different form factors, and therefore, different utilities. In spite of this, they can share software, and that is what Nintendo intends to do next generation. In that case, they are not talking about having home consoles or handhelds anymore- there will be no such distinction, there will just be one Nintendo system, and different flavors you can get it in.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SakusEnvoy
@charizard1605 said:

@SakusEnvoy: Nintendo's comments are meant in a very different context, please do not misconstrue them. Nintendo refers to having one unified hardware platform in the future, with varying form factors- not dissimilar to iPhone and iPad, which have the same hardware base and OS powering them, but different form factors, and therefore, different utilities. In spite of this, they can share software, and that is what Nintendo intends to do next generation. In that case, they are not talking about having home consoles or handhelds anymore- there will be no such distinction, there will just be one Nintendo system, and different flavors you can get it in.

That is the context I was thinking of though, charizard. Nintendo wants to create a unified architecture in order to reduce gaps in software caused by focusing on one platform over another. This is solved by allowing different form factors with similar architecture to play the same software. I suppose I should've clarified what I meant by the logic of "making separate games for consoles and handhelds", but this is exactly the issue plaguing Sony. To allocate resources towards the Vita is to allocate resources away from the PS4. This makes little sense for them, not only because the PS4 sells much better, but also because the Vita is capable of streaming PS4 games and because most people would rather play console-style games on the PS4.

As it is now, Sony has "given up" on creating software for the Vita because they view it as a waste of resources in light of Remote Play. Nintendo, instead, wants to be able to use the same resources to make games across different form factors, which is a great concept. But for Sony this would be nigh impossible because of the drastic differences in power between their two systems and the fact that no portable in existence could come close to playing PS4 software at a hardware-level.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Yeah this thread really didn't need to be made. I was mildly surprised to see as many trollolol Vita votes as there are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SakusEnvoy: Fair enough. I suppose what you are driving at at the core does amount to the same thing- both Nintendo and Sony don't have enough resources to support multiple platforms, and would like to make it easier to support all of them at once while having one development pipeline. That makes sense, and I can agree with that.

The ill-will towards Sony in this instance is not because this is what they are doing, but because they promised us original AAA titles. The Vita was sold (for a ludicrous launch price, especially with the added cost of the memory considered) on the promise of original AAA games coming to it. Not only did Sony make a shocking, rapid turnaround from that original promise, but it is also clear that they can support two platforms at once- they are just choosing to not let Vita be the second one.

To be clear, I am speaking of their continued support of the PS3. Every major PS3 game that they have made in the last year could have been targeted at the Vita instead, but Sony has chosen to ignore their brand new handheld to support a system that really doesn't need any further support. God of War Ascension? Gran Turismo 6? Rain? Puppetteer? Heck, even LittleBigPlanet 3 is not coming to the Vita (and Vita would be the perfect platform for that), but it is coming to the PS3. Sony could very well support Vita, but they choose not to. Except for when they commission some poorly made port of an existing title for the system (usually HD collections, so ports of ports).

Presumably, if Nintendo moves ahead with the hybrid concept, they will advertise it as a one size fits all, one system for all games concept. They will not promise original games for different form factors. In that case, there will be no ill will towards Nintendo, because they will have managed expectations towards the two systems right from the get go. This is something Sony has failed at.

@santoron Hey, if it makes you feel any better, the 3DS almost won the Nintendo poll. If it had, this might have been a fair bit closer :p

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

How is this guy even a mod? Does nothing but make shitey threads all day.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ballroompirate

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Of course the DS had shovelware. Every popular system has shovelware. The NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii all had shovelware too.

But the DS also had an insane amount of super high quality games.

I can say that I enjoyed like 5 games throughout the DS's lifespan.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SakusEnvoy

@charizard1605: I can concede that, charizard. Sony definitely over-promised and under-delivered. But... I do think most of those games in question are probably better off for being made on PS3 though as opposed to the Vita. To me, the core problem with the PSP was that its best Sony games were all better when played on (PS2/)PS3. And that just brings to mind the question of, "why even make a game on PSP when it's a timed exclusive, and you're going to make a better version for your flagship system"? And that's why, at least as far as Sony's contribution to the PSP library, I'm not really enthusiastic about what they did and I'm sure we would've seen a repeat of timed-exclusive-> wash-> superior re-master on PS4 if they did support the Vita better. Unfortunately.

One final note, charizard, you make lots of good threads, so I say ignore the hate. ^^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SakusEnvoy: I suppose, although in that case I question the value of having a handheld platform at all. Sony clearly does not view it as a flagship product and even considers it to be a drain on its resources. Why bother then? It's not like third parties or market performance compel them to release new handhelds (although the PSP did do very well for itself, its success was largely limited to Japan- the very region Sony chose to ignore with the initial pitch of the Vita, bafflingly enough).

All said and done, I'm a bit bitter because I love my Vita, and I love what it could have been. The fact that Sony sometimes seems to deliberately sabotage it hurts.

Also, thanks haha ^_^ A lot of the people hating don't actually mean it, it's been a long running joke at this point, but still, thanks for the compliment :)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@santoron Hey, if it makes you feel any better, the 3DS almost won the Nintendo poll. If it had, this might have been a fair bit closer :p

If any of them beat the DS out my opinion of the SW base would take yet another hit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@santoron said:

@charizard1605 said:

If any of them beat the DS out my opinion of the SW base would take yet another hit.

Honestly, it was so close too. Last night, it was a three way tie between the DS, GBA, and 3DS. After a while, the DS seemed to pull ahead by 2%, so I decide to finally make this thread, and when I open the other thread again to link back to it, all the three systems are back in a three way tie. It made me so frustrated lol. The DS pulled ahead after that, which is when I made this thread, but apparently, the DS and 3DS are now locked in another tie. At least this time it's just two way and not three way.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

People voted the Vita as better than the PSP?

I mean, I know the PSP suffered from insane droughts itself, but it at least did have some games.

This board is crazy.

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By SeriousGaming
Member since 2014 • 91 Posts

Vita, most beautiful.

DS, most ugly.

Beauty always triumphs over ugliness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@papatrop said:

People voted the Vita as better than the PSP?

I mean, I know the PSP suffered from insane droughts itself, but it at least did have some games.

This board is crazy.

On the other hand, the Vita has Persona 4 Golden.