Nintendo Consolidating Handheld and Console Game Development

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Further proof, if any was needed, that Nintendo gets handhelds, and that instead of treating them as second class citizens, doomed to get outsourced spin offs of main franchises like some other company I could name, Nintendo views its handheld business to be as important as its console business.

Nintendo will be unifying its previously separated handheld and console development structure under this unified development headquarters. This is Nintendo's first large-scale dev. structural change in 9 years. The unification is being done to promote sharing of know-how, basic skills, and to optimize development. Nintendo also aims to increase linkage between handheld and home consoles, along with raising their (as in their consoles and handhelds') affinity with the internet. Nintendo hopes this structural change will lead to the development of revolutionary new hardware.

In addition to consolidated game development, and console/handheld linking that the report suggests directly, we could also be looking at 3DS exclusive features being compatible with the Wii U (like the pedometer and StreetPass), and Wii U exclusive features being extended to the 3DS (like Miiverse), leading to a more unified and seamless, integrated experience.

SOURCE

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Too bad it doesn't work this hard for it's consoles
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Further proof, if any was needed, that Nintendo gets handhelds, and that instead of treating them as second class citizens, doomed to get outsourced spin offs of main franchises like some other company I could name, Nintendo views its handheld business to be as important as its console business.

Nintendo will be unifying its previously separated handheld and console development structure under this unified development headquarters. This is Nintendo's first large-scale dev. structural change in 9 years. The unification is being done to promote sharing of know-how, basic skills, and to optimize development. Nintendo also aims to increase linkage between handheld and home consoles, along with raising their (as in their consoles and handhelds') affinity with the internet. Nintendo hopes this structural change will lead to the development of revolutionary new hardware.

In addition to consolidated game development, and console/handheld linking that the report suggests directly, we could also be looking at 3DS exclusive features being compatible with the Wii U (like the pedometer and StreetPass), and Wii U exclusive features being extended to the 3DS (like Miiverse), leading to a more unified and seamless, integrated experience.

SOURCE

charizard1605

i lol'd

They definitely treat their handheld business better...much better than their console one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

They definitely treat their handheld business better...much better than their console one.

campzor
Too bad it doesn't work this hard for it's consolesCapitan_Kid
This is actually true. I wish Nintendo would just go handheld only, they get handhelds like no other company.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]

charizard1605
This is actually true. I wish Nintendo would just go handheld only, they get handhelds like no other company.

But then we'd get terrible Zelda games and no true 3D Marios, so f*ck that.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Just bought Pokemon White 2 to prep me for X and Y. Nintendo handhelds are the best!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But then we'd get terrible Zelda games and no true 3D Marios, so f*ck that.

The DS Zelda games were bad, but everything before that was top notch.
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty disappointed with my Wii U so far.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But then we'd get terrible Zelda games and no true 3D Marios, so f*ck that.charizard1605

They weren't bad games in the least, they just weren't OoT.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]

charizard1605

And kill them in the long run? You even previously said they view it just as important as each other. :|

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
I feel like they(Sony too) need to integrate the andriod/app store games as well. Mobile games sales are insane, if you look at some of the sales figures.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16
I feel like they(Sony too) need to integrate the andriod/app store games as well. Mobile games sales are insane, if you look at some of the sales figures. Led_poison
And that would kill whatever reputation they would have left...
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
I feel like they(Sony too) need to integrate the andriod/app store games as well. Mobile games sales are insane, if you look at some of the sales figures. Led_poison
doesnt the ps3/vita have minis, which are essentially android/app games?
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

charizard1605

Of course they get handhelds, the games are cheap to make, you can rehash the same IPs without people taking too much notice, no effort to bring japanese 3rd parties on board, and you can overprice the games and no one would take notice either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="campzor"] [QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Too bad it doesn't work this hard for it's consolesnintendoboy16

And kill them in the long run? You even previously said they view it just as important as each other. :|

And I don't. I don't view their console business as important as their handheld business.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Nintendo does the same thing they do with both console and handhelds. The only reason their handhelds seem better is because they get more developer support because Japanese developers flock to handhelds. Western developer support is weak on Nintendo console hardware. I also feel like Nintendo goes through phases where they focus heavily on one platform and less on the other. 2011 was mostly 3DS support and Wii support was almost non-existent and in 2012 3DS support was bare bones and Wii U was the primary focus, but next year looks like it might be a year where they focus on both pretty well, depending on what Nintendo has for Wii U post Q1/Q2 2013.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

GD1551

Of course they get handhelds, the games are cheap to make, you can rehash the same IPs without people taking too much notice, no effort to bring japanese 3rd parties on board, and you can overprice the games and no one would take notice either.

Nintendo's 25 year old IPs feel more fresh and innovate more than Sony new IPs.

Good riddance to them and Vita

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

SuperFlakeman

Ah yes the innovation and freshness of gameplay from the N64 days.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Ah yes the innovation and freshness of gameplay from the N64 days.

Realistic looking, non interactive movie game ftw. And shooters. Lots of them. In the form of TPS and FPS.

tn_1235245586270.jpg

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But then we'd get terrible Zelda games and no true 3D Marios, so f*ck that.

PH was pretty good.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
That have console development?
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Probably getting ready for a handheld only future. I can't see them surviving much longer with the Wii U
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GD1551

Realistic looking, non interactive movie game ftw. And shooters. Lots of them. In the form of TPS and FPS.

SuperFlakeman

Ugh.. ok? I'm not sure how proved my statement wrong there.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

GD1551

simple, nintendo's first party efforts on their handhelds trounce sony's

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Shinobishyguy

Yeah but that has nothing to do with what I said though...

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Yeah but that has nothing to do with what I said though...

the point you were was a pathetic attempt to downplay nintendo's dominance in the handheld market by dismissing their games as rehashes as well as downplaying the effort third parties put into making games
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GD1551

the point you were was a pathetic attempt to downplay nintendo's dominance in the handheld market by dismissing their games as rehashes as well as downplaying the effort third parties put into making gamesShinobishyguy

What?... :| , how did you even arrive at that conclusion? I merely explained WHY nintendo would invest so much more time and effort into the handheld market.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16

Probably getting ready for a handheld only future. I can't see them surviving much longer with the Wii URR360DD
The Wii U has only been out for A COUPLE MONTHS. Give it some damn time!

A merger like this proves that if they go for a handheld only future, they'd be dead in less than a year (of course, knowing you, it's probably something you'd want).

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
This is actually true. I wish Nintendo would just go handheld only, they get handhelds like no other company.charizard1605
F*ck that. I want HD Zelda, Mario, Metroid.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But then we'd get terrible Zelda games and no true 3D Marios, so f*ck that.charizard1605

This (though I have only played PH so far and it is FAR from bad). And with OoT 3DS who knows what will come next? Maybe the next OoT or MM (not literally but in terms of quality and feel).

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]

charizard1605

And kill couch multiplayer? **** that. Though, I suppose with how much it costs to buy a system plus four controllers (~$590), buying four 3DSs wouldn't be so bad (~$680), and it would serve a lot better with another screen and a system that can play games on its own. But no one wants to be crouched over like that. I actually have four DSs and four copies of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, but no one ever wants to play games like that. Maybe because it's more isolated than playing on the same screen as each other.