Nintendo Announces MK8 DLC: With Zelda as Playable Character

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Awesome. Will buy immediately. Having to wait until November and May SUCKS!

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Now this is how you make DLC, definitely going to get at least the first pack, but paying 12 bucks for 16 new tracks plus Tanooki Mario!!! this is a steal and suddenly i'm more excited for Super Smash, i know is going to be really hard to add new characters, but new stages, that would be pretty sweet.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Have they announced new items? I'm assuming a new item from each "universe" will be added. Navi?

Was killin the bikes this evening. Finally figured out how to stop Em.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#54 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

*heavy breathing*

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Where Zelda?:P And looks like some nice DLC. 6 characters, 8 vehicles, and 16 tracks for $12 is a pretty awesome deal.

GeekInkINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 GeekInkINC
Member since 2014 • 206 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. Nintendo is actually trying. Wowzerz.

I am definitely intrigued. It's still early in WiiU's life, correct? Golly, I just wanna scoop one up now. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@geekinkinc said:

Hmmm, interesting. Nintendo is actually trying. Wowzerz.

I am definitely intrigued. It's still early in WiiU's life, correct? Golly, I just wanna scoop one up now. :D

It's one and a half years old. I'd say it's just under half its projected life span (given that I anticipate a successor in November 2016).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Looks like Ninty makes me want to wait for a "Complete Edition", which his how I'm treating devs/pubs like Netherrealm/WB and Bethesda. *sigh*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

Looks like Ninty makes me want to wait for a "Complete Edition", which his how I'm treating devs/pubs like Netherrealm/WB and Bethesda. *sigh*

Mario Kart 8 is 'complete.' The other stuff is bonus content added to extend life of a game that already can give you dozens of hours of entertainment.

Albeit waiting a while for a complete edition wouldn't be a bad idea (although I don't know how it would work given Nintendo's pricing model).

Star_Skywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Star_Skywalker
Member since 2007 • 4025 Posts

Wait, that's Zelda or Link? Pic says Link but the text says Zelda.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I like this, but I hope they don't get carried away with the DLC or they may as well call it Super Smash Kart, and this also reconfirms F-Zero's death.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@speak_low said:

@laus_basic said:

All the info:

Pack 1 - Released: November 2014

3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link

4 Vehicles

8 Courses

Pack 2 - Released: May 2015

3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser

4 Vehicles

8 Courses

As a bonus for purchasing both packs - as a bundle or separately - you can get eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys that can be used right away.

It's funny that this is the Sheep's idea of good and proper DLC. "DLC is fine only when it's done right." But it's the same type of DLC/microtransactions you see in other games. I have no problem with them doing this as it helps extend the life of a game, but some Sheep were acting like watchful and vigilant protectors of fine taste, and every other third-party game was bringing down the industry with their DLC, and then you see these Meow Meow Peach and Tanooki Mario pictures and laugh at their excitement over it.

This is DLC done right!

So let me be clear here... Nintendo is offering you sixteen new tracks, eight new vehicles, and six new characters, all for $12 total... and this is on the same level as the Day One DLC/Microtransaction bullshit that other games have? Are you actually serious here? This is literally half as much content as was offered on the game disc, it's practically an expansion, and it's cheaper than most indie games you can buy on PSN or Xbox Live... and you're actually complaining about this? You're actually comparing this to microtransactions?

Ha man, holy shit. I had begun to think that even though you do have issues with Nintendo, at the very least you have some reasonable points to make, even if I may not always like them, but god damn, you just invalidated everything all in one go. Half a game being offered for $12 is equivalent to a $15 map pack with three new maps, guys, you heard it here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Star_Skywalker said:

It's the OP being a douche and joking. It's Link, not Zelda =p

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I like this, but I hope they don't get carried away with the DLC or they may as well call it Super Smash Kart, and this also reconfirms F-Zero's death.

No, I hope they go all in and make it a Super Kart Bros./Nintendo All Stars/whatever, because I've been waiting for that to happen for way too long now.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Ha man, holy shit. I had begun to think that even though you do have issues with Nintendo, at the very least you have some reasonable points to make, even if I may not always like them, but god damn, you just invalidated everything all in one go. Half a game being offered for $12 is equivalent to a $15 map pack with three new maps, guys, you heard it here.

speak_low has shown that they're insane multiple times so you should probably not bother responding to them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I did not like the fact that I would have to wait until next May to see Pack 2 (Animal Crossing) to be available for download. At least I can wait a few months for Pack 1 (Legend of Zelda).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@speak_low said:

@charizard1605 said:

So let me be clear here... Nintendo is offering you sixteen new tracks, eight new vehicles, and six new characters, all for $12 total... and this is on the same level as the Day One DLC/Microtransaction bullshit that other games have? Are you actually serious here? This is literally half as much content as was offered on the game disc, it's practically an expansion, and it's cheaper than most indie games you can buy on PSN or Xbox Live... and you're actually complaining about this? You're actually comparing this to microtransactions?

There's been great DLC for the longest time, even on the Xbox 360/PS3 over 7 years ago.

Every time Nintendo joins the party late or does it with major game like MK8, Sheep make it sound like the biggest splash ever - like they fine-tuned something the masses didn't know how to handle, and turned it into an art form. Other developers are greedy dopes, and Nintendo spins things into fine golden silk. Uh huh. I have no huge problem with this DLC and you won't find any older posts where I'm complaining about DLC in general, the way other people have complained.

The reason many Nintendo owners haven't noticed great DLC packages is either because they're new to this concept, or they don't care for those games that had them. Gears of War (a ton of maps were FREE, along with updated holiday weapons and characters), Skyrim, RDR, GTA, etc had great additional DLC content, but knowing that many Nintendo owners [claim] to hate those games and don't care about them (but I suspect secretly play the heck out of them anyways), of course the DLC looks worthless to them. It's not made by Nintendo and it's for games they don't care as much for as they do with SSB, Zelda and Mario Kart.

As I said, I'm not against this Mario Kart DLC. Wii U sales aren't moving as much as people hoped, so Nintendo is trying to get people excited again. But there was a thread made a few days ago where some Sheep were admitting to hating all DLC, but say "if done right, then it's okay" which meant "only Nintendo I will excuse. The rest will always be crap no matter what they do."

So now, here with the MK8 DLC, we get tracks and characters for something around $8-$16. That's not that far from what DLC has always been priced compared to what they gave in return: multiple maps or tracks, DLC expansion packs, prequel episodes, character outfits/skins/weapons and extra vehicles - developers have been doing this for the longest time. $5-$10-$15-$20 have been the DLC pricing blocks we're all familiar with. But I guess none of those attempts were "doing it right" and it took Nintendo to show them, even though the content isn't that different or groundbreaking. Nintendo is made to sound like an Industry Messiah sometimes. If this company does so many perfect things in terms of creating wider consumer satisfaction, excellent value propositions and their ability to spark innovation and light the way for the dopey masses, then why aren't they doing better? Why didn't they think of this before and apply it to their other masterpiece games, and why is the Wii U seeing so many problems with Nintendo in full control of things? The fact of the matter is, the industry, while guilty of excesses like anywhere else, isn't that bad, and the atmosphere isn't that poisonous (I know you're all buying these games like TLOU, COD, GTA, Uncharted and Gears of War anyways), and Nintendo, while doing some good things here and there, isn't as untouchable and brilliant as so many Sheep here believe. Their sparse output and infrequent public statements doesn't suddenly make them some reclusive genius or industry prodigy.

Oh, and ignore that guy who responded below you. He's too busy playing more PS4/PS3 games he hates, on a console he hated to buy. He's still trying to figure how that works.

Here's the thing- when others do DLC right, they are appreciated. Once again, and I have called you out on this before, you can't paint a sheep hive mind. You have to call out specific users if you are making any accusations. Otherwise, let's start with your 'sheep' labels. So I am a sheep, yes? By any traditional definition. And yes, I have in fact been at the forefront of DLC opposition, saying 'it's only acceptable when it's done right.' Except, guess what developers I cite as examples for this most frequently? Bethesda and Rockstar. None of which are Nintendo, they are actually as far away from Nintendo as possible. Of course, now I cite Nintendo as an example too- this is the second time they have attempted DLC, and they have done it exceptionally well this time as well.

Nintendo is not some industry genius or prodigy. They're exceptional game developers, and you will find me, and yes, other Nintendo fans, saying that they are the best developers in the industry. But they have a lot of other failings, which almost any of us will freely point out and accept. That's because all companies do. The issue with any discussion about Nintendo with you is, it comes off as if it's an agenda with you. I'm not saying that it is or it isn't, I'm telling you what it looks like. You are always at the front when it comes to calling Nintendo out on their shit- which, incidentally, I approve of, any company needs to be called out on its shit- but you are never willing to cede any ground to give them any credit when they do things right. It makes your entire argument one sided, because you're only ever criticizing, never giving them any credit when they actually get things right. Such as with this DLC, this is above and beyond what other developers offer, plain and simple, it's 50% of the content in the base game being offered for a fifth of the price. It shouldn't be hard to see why that is exceptional value.

Also, the industry at large isn't poisonous. The modern AAA industry is certainly bloated, though, one look at Ubisoft with two Assassin's Creed major releases in two months should be proof enough. But hey, GTA, TLOU, Uncharted, or even CoD? I won't criticize those. Ubisoft, EA, annual sports games, shit like that, microtransactions, prepaid Season Passes, stuff like that? I will.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@charizard1605: Is it 12 dollars for both packs or just 1.

I was under the impression that it was 12 dollars for per pack.

Edit: Saw the mod edit. Holy moley, what a great price.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

worth it for the new cups alone.

Gotta say, Nintendo may be 10 years behind the competition when it comes to online gaming, but when it comes to DLC, this is a good thing.

I miss the first few years of last gen and before that. Save for horse armor, DLC was amazing for the price (if there was any price)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605: Is it 12 dollars for both packs or just 1.

I was under the impression that it was 12 dollars for per pack.

Edit: Saw the mod edit. Holy moley, what a great price.

$12 total. If you want to buy the packs individually, you can spend $8 on them per pack.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#71 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

this is the second time they have attempted DLC, and they have done it exceptionally well this time as well.

They did too with FE:A, Pikmin 3, and Mario Golf.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@speak_low said:

@charizard1605 said:

There's been great DLC for the longest time, even on the Xbox 360/PS3 over 7 years ago.

Every time Nintendo joins the party late or does it with major game like MK8, Sheep make it sound like the biggest splash ever - like they fine-tuned something the masses didn't know how to handle, and turned it into an art form. Other developers are greedy dopes, and Nintendo spins things into fine golden silk. Uh huh. I have no huge problem with this DLC and you won't find any older posts where I'm complaining about DLC in general, the way other people have complained.

The reason many Nintendo owners haven't noticed great DLC packages is either because they're new to this concept, or they don't care for those games that had them. Gears of War (a ton of maps were FREE, along with updated holiday weapons and characters), Skyrim, RDR, GTA, etc had great additional DLC content, but knowing that many Nintendo owners [claim] to hate those games and don't care about them (but I suspect secretly play the heck out of them anyways), of course the DLC looks worthless to them. It's not made by Nintendo and it's for games they don't care as much for as they do with SSB, Zelda and Mario Kart.

As I said, I'm not against this Mario Kart DLC. Wii U sales aren't moving as much as people hoped, so Nintendo is trying to get people excited again. But there was a thread made a few days ago where some Sheep were admitting to hating all DLC, but say "if done right, then it's okay" which meant "only Nintendo I will excuse. The rest will always be crap no matter what they do."

So now, here with the MK8 DLC, we get tracks and characters for something around $8-$16. That's not that far from what DLC has always been priced compared to what they gave in return: multiple maps or tracks, DLC expansion packs, prequel episodes, character outfits/skins/weapons and extra vehicles - developers have been doing this for the longest time. $5-$10-$15-$20 have been the DLC pricing blocks we're all familiar with. But I guess none of those attempts were "doing it right" and it took Nintendo to show them, even though the content isn't that different or groundbreaking. Nintendo is made to sound like an Industry Messiah sometimes. If this company does so many perfect things in terms of creating wider consumer satisfaction, excellent value propositions and their ability to spark innovation and light the way for the dopey masses, then why aren't they doing better? Why didn't they think of this before and apply it to their other masterpiece games, and why is the Wii U seeing so many problems with Nintendo in full control of things? The fact of the matter is, the industry, while guilty of excesses like anywhere else, isn't that bad, and the atmosphere isn't that poisonous (I know you're all buying these games like TLOU, COD, GTA, Uncharted and Gears of War anyways), and Nintendo, while doing some good things here and there, isn't as untouchable and brilliant as so many Sheep here believe. Their sparse output and infrequent public statements doesn't suddenly make them some reclusive genius or industry prodigy.

Oh, and ignore that guy who responded below you. He's too busy playing more PS4/PS3 games he hates, on a console he hated to buy. He's still trying to figure how that works.

Sorry, I don't agree.

You're acting as if every Wii U owner has never seen, touched, played or owned another console other than a Nintendo console. And that's simply not true. I've been gaming on multiple machines since the mid 80's. I still game on multiple machines to this day.

This package is a great value for what you're getting and pretty comparable to anything else you can dig up, past or present on any system. You can contest all you want that it's not, but I think you're definitely in the minority here, bud.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

I'm looking forward to this. It will expand the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

This exceeds old Blizzard "dlc" packs.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

DLC done right. SHUT UP SHUT UP NINTENDO AND TAKE ALL MY GOD DAMN MONEY!!!

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nintendo never releases such things. So don't hold your breath.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#79 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

There IS a New Super Mario Bros U with Luigi U on the Disc. You have to buy the WiiU bundle though.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Bread_or_Decide

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

There IS a New Super Mario Bros U with Luigi U on the Disc. You have to buy the WiiU bundle though.

That came with a disc? I thought it was a digital copy.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#81  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yeah it's real.

Not my picture by the way, I just yonked it from Google. Here's the Gamestop Listing, I've seen the Box at my Local Gamestop before too. Only way of you getting this New is buying a WiiU Bundle with the game. After that it's all Preowned.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

It was digital and retail. NSLU was basically a sequel to NSMBU, as it doubled the content. It gives me hope that maybe this gen instead of getting something like Super Mario Galaxy 2, we get a $30 downloadable expansion to SM3DW that doubles its content.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Bread_or_Decide

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yeah it's real.

Not my picture by the way, I just yonked it from Google. Here's the Gamestop Listing, I've seen the Box at my Local Gamestop before too. Only way of you getting this New is buying a WiiU Bundle with the game. After that it's all Preowned.

Ooooh, I stand corrected. That's pretty sweet.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#85 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: Super Mario Galaxy 2 also fixed many of the flaws found in the first game (120 stars for Luigi which are just harder versions of the first 120, trimming a lot of the fat, improving pace, and green stars offering a much more satisfying challenge by pushing the mechanics established by Super Mario 64 and SMG1).

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 PurpleMan5000

@hiphops_savior said:

@PurpleMan5000: Super Mario Galaxy 2 also fixed many of the flaws found in the first game (120 stars for Luigi which are just harder versions of the first 120, trimming a lot of the fat, improving pace, and green stars offering a much more satisfying challenge by pushing the mechanics established by Super Mario 64 and SMG1).

NSLBU plays quite differently to NSMBU, too. I would take a sequel to what I thought was the best 3D Mario game to date (SM3DW). Super Mario Galaxy 2 recycled a lot of the assets and programming from Galaxy, though. It felt like a very good expansion to me. If the Wii would have supported DLC, Galaxy 2 could have been offered as an expansion and it wouldn't have been worse for it.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 hiphops_savior

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

NSLBU plays quite differently to NSMBU, too. I would take a sequel to what I thought was the best 3D Mario game to date (SM3DW). Super Mario Galaxy 2 recycled a lot of the assets and programming from Galaxy, though. It felt like a very good expansion to me. If the Wii would have supported DLC, Galaxy 2 could have been offered as an expansion and it wouldn't have been worse for it.

What would that make Uncharted, which reuses much of the same mechanics and game engines except for concept art? Much of the ideas in Super Mario Galaxy 2 alone warrented a sequel, and as Tom McShea concluded, "improves upon the original in every conceivable way, making it the new standard for all platformers".

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PurpleMan5000

@hiphops_savior said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

What would that make Uncharted, which reuses much of the same mechanics and game engines except for concept art? Much of the ideas in Super Mario Galaxy 2 alone warrented a sequel, and as Tom McShea concluded, "improves upon the original in every conceivable way, making it the new standard for all platformers".

I thought Mario Galaxy 2 was one of the best games of last gen. I would have the same opinion of it if it were released as an expansion pack. I'm not one of those guys who think expansions are inferior or something. PC games used to get expansions all of the time and they were basically treated as new games by the community.

I'm just of the opinion that DLC makes expansion packs feasible on consoles, so rather than making full blown sequels with updated graphics, devolopers would do a much greater service to their customers by just putting the new content into a downloadable expansion pack.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#90  Edited By PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Star_Skywalker said:

It's the OP being a douche and joking. It's Link, not Zelda =p

Flagged.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

The DLC is nice, though I will find it hard to stomach spending more than $65 CAD on a game. Too bad they did not extend Mercedes' advertising to these packs in order to make them free as well ;)

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts
@Heirren said:

Have they announced new items? I'm assuming a new item from each "universe" will be added. Navi?

Expecting at least bombchus.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hiphops_savior

@Raptor_Herc: Enjoy your indie games. 65 CAD is the norm between inflation and decreasing currency value.