Nintendo 2018

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

Smash is finally here and I’ll be picking it up tomorrow but it’s one of the only worthwhile things on the Switch this year. Nintendo needs to seriously step it up as it took nearly 12 months to get their first big game.

2018 recap:

Switch exclusives you pay full price for but get 1/4 of the content of games like red dead 2, god of War, forza horizon 4:

Super Mario party

Mario tennis aces

Kirby star allies

The best game that no one cares about:

Octopath traveler

Pokémon Go: which I’m still not convinced is worth paying $60 for.

Nintendo exclusive ports:

Bayonetta 2

Captain toad

Hyrule Warriors

Pokken tournament

Donkey Kong tropical freeze

Countless indies and old third party ports

Will Nintendo deliver next year with Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, etc.?

Sony and Microsoft may not have had as plentiful of exclusive content but it was arguably better and worthwhile (at least on Sony’s part) and of course the heavy hitter here is they get every major third party title, day one.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

I thought it was a pretty good year for the Switch myself. I don’t limit myself just to exclusives though. If a good game comes out for a system that I want to play then I get it. There’s a lot of games that I want to play on the Switch, I really couldn’t care less if it’s a port or third party game. The more games that I want to have playable on the System the better.

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

18120

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18120 Posts

It's been a solid year for the Switch.

I'd guess that I've bought an average of two great games every month, and i dont think there has been a single week where I didn't play the Switch.

That's pretty remarkable, since I've got a large backlog of PC RPGs and a couple of PS4 games to get through...but I keep going back to the Switch instead.

Avatar image for ajstyles
AJStyles

1142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1142 Posts

This was a terrible year for switch. There was a massive game drought the entire year.

Just because Smash and a Pokémon Port/remake came out in the last week or so doesn’t mean we forget the last 12 months were complete trash for switch.

There is nothing worth getting for most gamers.

This year saw the release of a niche rpg(octopath) and uhh..some overrated indie game(Celeste) that only praise because of the agenda instead of gameplay. You can also this game on any platform.

So really. What did switch owners play from December 2017 to December 2018?

Because when I walk into the game store, I see a tiny shelf of switch games and nothing to play.

Nintendo fanboys are famous for overpraising their system because they get 1 decent game per year.

Its been like this since the N64.

Avatar image for scatteh316
scatteh316

10259

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10259 Posts
@ajstyles said:

This was a terrible year for switch. There was a massive game drought the entire year.

Just because Smash and a Pokémon Port/remake came out in the last week or so doesn’t mean we forget the last 12 months were complete trash for switch.

There is nothing worth getting for most gamers.

This year saw the release of a niche rpg(octopath) and uhh..some overrated indie game(Celeste) that only praise because of the agenda instead of gameplay. You can also this game on any platform.

So really. What did switch owners play from December 2017 to December 2018?

Because when I walk into the game store, I see a tiny shelf of switch games and nothing to play.

Nintendo fanboys are famous for overpraising their system because they get 1 decent game per year.

Its been like this since the N64.

^^ He's right you know....... complete lack of Nintendo's heavy AAAE hitters for nigh on 12 months.

Avatar image for n64dd
N64DD

12001

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 12001 Posts

@ajstyles: Sounds like you never actually played Celeste.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

4626

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I actually sold my Switch earlier this year as after being done with SMO and BotW I didn't really see anything on the horizon that interested me. Put the money towards my X1X.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Archangel3371: what multiplatform games are you talking about? I’ve played or owned most already on my Xbox one or PS4. For example doom came to switch this year but I rented it when it game out in 2016. Crash bandicoot came to switch this year but I bought it day one in 2017 for my PS4. There’s no current multiplats for the switch, just old ports I’m not buying again.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@boycie: You chose wisely. :P

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Planeforger: 2 great games a month? I got a switch last Christmas with Mario odyssey. I also bought bomberman, Mario kart 8 deluxe and splatoon 2 this year. I haven’t turned my switch on in months

Avatar image for dzimm
dzimm

5563

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#11 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5563 Posts

I bought a Switch this past summer, and it has more games that I want than I have the time or money for, so I'm happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

4626

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@boycie: You chose wisely. :P

I think so. It was tough choosing between a X1X and PS4Pro but FH4 is what tipped it for me and all the great stuff on Gamepass.

Avatar image for wiiboxstation
Wiiboxstation

1415

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1415 Posts

Smash day one greatness. I won't be on here for a while due to destroying fools on the best fighting game this gen.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@jcrame10: Well I don’t really care if they were on other systems prior to 2018 or not, if a game comes out on the Switch that I want to get for that system then that’s really all I care about. You do you though. If you don’t want to get a Switch version of a game then by all means don’t get it. To each their own and all that.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

Switch:

Octopath Traveler

Smash Bros Ultimate

Pokémon Let’s Go (remake)

Indies

PS4:

God of War

Spider-Man

Shadow of the Colossus (remake)

Every major third party 2018 game plus indies

Xbox:

Forza Horizon 4

Every major third party 2018 game plus indies

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@boycie: That’s cool. I hope you’re really enjoying the Xbox One X, Forza Horizon 4, and Game Pass.

Avatar image for enzyme36
enzyme36

4289

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4289 Posts

I bought more games in 2018 for switch than any other platform.... including PC. I even bought more switch games this year than I bought last year. I'd say it was an excellent year for the system.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#18 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Archangel3371: okay but your situation is such a minority. Most gamers have played the ports on the switch...the switch has little value for those of us who own a PS4, pc, Xbox one or Wii U. Nearly 90% of the switch library in its 2 years on the market is scraps from other platforms.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

24451

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24451 Posts

First party was indeed weak this year. I hope for a better 2019 for that.

Lots of great indie games to keep you busy until Nintendo gets their next big thing out though.

Avatar image for dzimm
dzimm

5563

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#20 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5563 Posts

@boycie said:

I actually sold my Switch earlier this year...

Dumb.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@jcrame10: I can’t speak for anyone else because I don’t know, all I can do is speak on how I feel about how the Switch has done this year. Same goes for you. If you don’t think the Switch has had a good year then that’s just based on your preferences and what your looking for out of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

4626

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@dzimm said:
@boycie said:

I actually sold my Switch earlier this year...

Dumb.

Having a console sat unused for months on end is even dumber.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Archangel3371: I think switch would be better if it was getting Mario odyssey, Zelda, smash bros plus all the current third party stuff like red dead, shadow of the tomb raider, Spyro, ass creed etc

Avatar image for dzimm
dzimm

5563

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5563 Posts

@boycie said:
@dzimm said:
@boycie said:

I actually sold my Switch earlier this year...

Dumb.

Having a console sat unused for months on end is even dumber.

I agree. So why did you ignore all the great games for the Switch? ;-)

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#25 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@dzimm: my switch is holding out for fire emblem. And of course now smash.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@jcrame10: Sure but just because something could be better doesn’t mean that it isn’t good.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#27 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Archangel3371: well, every third party title on switch is at least a year old or more. I have bought, played and rented nearly all of the ones I was interested in by the time they come to switch.

I purchased a Wii U wind waker bundle winter of 2013. I own captain toad, new super Mario bros u, donkey Kong, Mario kart 8, Zelda breath of the wild and I haven’t rented Hyrule Warriors and bayonetta 2. Nintendo now wants 60 dollars for all of these games being ported to the switch years later. Had I known they were all coming to their next console for full price years after release I probably wouldn’t have bought them back then and I’m sure not paying for them now. I think the biggest victim of switch owners are those who owned a Wii U and played most of its big titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

2814

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

While not as great as 2017, I still enjoyed my Switch more than any other console in 2018.

Honestly, the only 2018 game that I cared about on Xbox One and PS4 was Red Dead Redemption 2. Everything else that I bought or will buy this year has been for the Switch including:

  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Sonic Mania Plus
  • Overcooked 2
  • Mega Man 11
  • Super Mario Party
  • Katamari Damacy Reroll
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

It really all depends on your tastes. For someone like me whose favorite types of games to play are challenging platformers and fun party games to play with friends, the Switch has been the best console of 2018. If you don't care about those types of games then I could see how you might be disappointed.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#29 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@storm_of_swords: I bought DK on Wii U and loved it. One of the best platformers I ever played. It’s a shame they want 60 for it on switch, id totally pick it up again for 30 just to enjoy it with the switch pro controller.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

5359

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#30 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5359 Posts

Golf Story is the best Nintendo Switch game.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@jcrame10: Well not sure what else I could tell you. I had a Wii U with pretty much all the games that they’ve ported over to the Switch so far and personally I haven’t and don’t really mind buying most of them on the Switch as well. In fact there’s a few more that I’d like to see them port over from the Wii U to the Switch. It’s not like the user base for the Wii U was that big so with the Switch doing so much better more people are now getting to experience some of the best Wii U games for the first time and in most cases with all the dlc included. I’m fine with that myself.

Avatar image for m_machine024
m_machine024

15874

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Countless indies is a good thing.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
freedomfreak

51300

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51300 Posts

Forgot I had one. Happens with Nintendo systems.

Avatar image for jcrame10
jcrame10

5342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 5342 Posts

@Archangel3371: the problem is people paid 60 for those games years ago and now they wanna charge 60 again. How many people are paying full price for the same exact game. It’s not even like it’s a remake or remaster, it’s a straight port of all those Wii U games

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28677

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#35 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28677 Posts

@jcrame10: Like I have already said, you do you. If you have a problem with it then fine whatever. I said previously that I don’t really mind it myself. Don’t know how many times I can keep saying that. lol

You’re also ignoring the fact that these games also contain all the dlc from the Wii U versions, with probably the exception of a few. You’re also ignoring the fact that the Switch is doing much better compared to the Wii U so there’s obviously going to be millions of people who will be getting these games for the first time. The games are selling very well so obviously there’s a market that Nintendo are clearly catering to who want them.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

38494

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38494 Posts

Using the Switch as a handheld does plays a huge role in my favors cause that's all I really been using it for, play on the go while on the bus on my way to work and I try not to drive my Car as much as I can. So yeah, the Switch sure had a good year and SSB Ultimate sends the Switch out with a bang in 2018. I really do hope Metroid Prime 4 makes it in 2019, that's totally gotta be the Switch's heavy hitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

2814

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@Archangel3371: the problem is people paid 60 for those games years ago and now they wanna charge 60 again. How many people are paying full price for the same exact game. It’s not even like it’s a remake or remaster, it’s a straight port of all those Wii U games

Calling it the "same exact game" is unfair. There is always at least something improved or added to the Switch versions in comparison to the Wii U versions. And those improvements/additions are enough of a reason for me to buy the Switch versions even though I already had the Wii U versions. In some cases, like with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the Switch version is a huge improvement over the Wii U version to the point where it almost feels like a brand new game.

Plus, you also need to take into account that the Wii U did not have a very large userbase whereas the Switch is very popular, so many people are buying these games for the first time ever on the Switch which is why many of them are selling better on the Switch than they did on the Wii U.

Avatar image for Basinboy
Basinboy

13936

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#38 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 13936 Posts

Hyped for Smash, but otherwise haven’t played anything of meaning since Odyssey. In fact I loaned my Switch to a colleague who wanted to play Zelda for the last 3 months prior.

Avatar image for theone86
theone86

22417

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#39 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22417 Posts
@davillain- said:

Using the Switch as a handheld does plays a huge role in my favors cause that's all I really been using it for, play on the go while on the bus on my way to work and I try not to drive my Car as much as I can. So yeah, the Switch sure had a good year and SSB Ultimate sends the Switch out with a bang in 2018. I really do hope Metroid Prime 4 makes it in 2019, that's totally gotta be the Switch's heavy hitter.

That almost made me think about buying a Switch. Here's the problem, though: it can't replace my tablet. If I want to read news and books, take notes, browse the web, or stream movies and music I have to bring my tablet along. The Switch is almost exclusively a game machine, and a limited one at that. Not only does it not have a lot of the games I love (the Arkham or Witcher games), most of the ports it has of games that I love are sub-par (Cities: Skylines and Skyrim), and because they ditched the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service it's not going to replace my 3DS as a nostalgia machine (and I don't think they even have plans to bring the n64 games I love playing on the 3DS to the Switch). As a portable media device, simply put, it's trash. As a portable game device it's nice, but only because of great first-party exclusives, which is such a long-running problem with Nintendo consoles that it's lost all its humor by now. I really wish Nintendo would just stop banking on people buying their consoles because Mario and Zelda and start actually trying to give them a wider appeal.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

35687

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#40  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35687 Posts

List of games I cared to play on the Switch this year = 0. :(

Avatar image for speedytimsi
speedytimsi

1013

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1013 Posts

My 4 year old nephew likes Mario....he just plays Mario games.

Xbox is too mature for him.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

35357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 35357 Posts

@speedytimsi:

Rare Replay, is great, he'd probably enjoy some of those very much.. :)

Avatar image for mandzilla
mandzilla

4218

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4218 Posts

It's all relative to which type of games you enjoy. Perhaps not as strong as 2017, but 2018 has been a great year from my perspective.

Got to play the GOAT Okami with touch screen controls, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Celesete, Octopath Traveller, Civ 6, Pokemon Let's Go (which is a lot better than people give it credit for), Bayonetta 1+2 plus Super Smash Bros a day early!

Along with Celesete, the indie stuff has been amazing. Into the Breach is very addictive. Still can't afford all the stuff I'd like to play sadly.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

4163

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4163 Posts

I agree with the first party stuff- I want to get Donkey Kong and Captain Toad but I'm waiting for prices below $30. I'll be waiting for a price drop on Pokemon, and I asked for Smash for Christmas.

I'm still having a great time with Switch this year though, and I think it's getting plenty of good content. I played Rayman Legends, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Crash trilogy, Undertale all on Switch this year. I'll be picking up the Genesis Classics tomorrow.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

38494

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38494 Posts

@theone86 said:
@davillain- said:

Using the Switch as a handheld does plays a huge role in my favors cause that's all I really been using it for, play on the go while on the bus on my way to work and I try not to drive my Car as much as I can. So yeah, the Switch sure had a good year and SSB Ultimate sends the Switch out with a bang in 2018. I really do hope Metroid Prime 4 makes it in 2019, that's totally gotta be the Switch's heavy hitter.

That almost made me think about buying a Switch. Here's the problem, though: it can't replace my tablet. If I want to read news and books, take notes, browse the web, or stream movies and music I have to bring my tablet along. The Switch is almost exclusively a game machine, and a limited one at that. Not only does it not have a lot of the games I love (the Arkham or Witcher games), most of the ports it has of games that I love are sub-par (Cities: Skylines and Skyrim), and because they ditched the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service it's not going to replace my 3DS as a nostalgia machine (and I don't think they even have plans to bring the n64 games I love playing on the 3DS to the Switch). As a portable media device, simply put, it's trash. As a portable game device it's nice, but only because of great first-party exclusives, which is such a long-running problem with Nintendo consoles that it's lost all its humor by now. I really wish Nintendo would just stop banking on people buying their consoles because Mario and Zelda and start actually trying to give them a wider appeal.

Owning a Tablet, I totally understand, I don't bother with those devices, I have an Android for all my worldwide news, gaming news, streaming movies, ect so it's why I love my Switch as it's handheld mode makes it so much better and if Nintendo didn't include such a feature, I wouldn't even bother buying a Nintendo console this gen at all, it's handheld feature is it's saving grace. I strongly & only recommend anyone who should be buying Switch "if" you really want to play Nintendo's offering games but otherwise, if you love your Tablet, I wouldn't bother buying Switch at all.

I guess for me is, I don't have the time anymore putting more hours into another console in the house and the only thing that's keeping me enjoying Switch is it's handheld mode when I'm out of the house, I barely use the Dock mode to play any Switch games. My PC does everything at home for me and my PS4 serves as my all-around media & playing PS4 games is a bonus now.

Edit: I'm totally with you on Nintendo banking people just to buy their consoles, I really wish they port their games on PC, they make a killing on the PC market but no, they want everyone buying the console instead.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2527

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#46 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2527 Posts

Overall I have been pretty satisfied with the Switch this year, albeit not to Nintendo's credit.

I've bought a good helping of 3rd-party games, indie titles and ports of old games either I never got the chance to play or just had to have on the Switch; with that said, there's been no shortage of content for me to enjoy.

With that said, I have not bought many Nintendo titles at all, and I think that's mostly because they did not have much to offer this year. Objectively, you can't tell me Nintendo had a better year over 2017. I think the satisfaction of the Switch is clearly there but it heavily depends on what types of games you're looking for.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

11746

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#47 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11746 Posts

It strikes me that the people who don't value Switch are often the same people who don't see the value in PC. In fact, I'd argue the Switch is a PC gamer's best companion machine

Avatar image for Celsius765
Celsius765

2415

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#48 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2415 Posts

Is there really any content in rdr2? I kinda expect it to be catch bounties, horse races, find the token items littering the map and that's it between story missions. Oh and I suppose npc quest but beyond that I expect it to be a standard open world game.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

4132

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#49 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4132 Posts

lolhandhelds

Avatar image for theone86
theone86

22417

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#50 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22417 Posts
@davillain- said:
@theone86 said:
@davillain- said:

Using the Switch as a handheld does plays a huge role in my favors cause that's all I really been using it for, play on the go while on the bus on my way to work and I try not to drive my Car as much as I can. So yeah, the Switch sure had a good year and SSB Ultimate sends the Switch out with a bang in 2018. I really do hope Metroid Prime 4 makes it in 2019, that's totally gotta be the Switch's heavy hitter.

That almost made me think about buying a Switch. Here's the problem, though: it can't replace my tablet. If I want to read news and books, take notes, browse the web, or stream movies and music I have to bring my tablet along. The Switch is almost exclusively a game machine, and a limited one at that. Not only does it not have a lot of the games I love (the Arkham or Witcher games), most of the ports it has of games that I love are sub-par (Cities: Skylines and Skyrim), and because they ditched the Virtual Console in favor of a subscription service it's not going to replace my 3DS as a nostalgia machine (and I don't think they even have plans to bring the n64 games I love playing on the 3DS to the Switch). As a portable media device, simply put, it's trash. As a portable game device it's nice, but only because of great first-party exclusives, which is such a long-running problem with Nintendo consoles that it's lost all its humor by now. I really wish Nintendo would just stop banking on people buying their consoles because Mario and Zelda and start actually trying to give them a wider appeal.

Owning a Tablet, I totally understand, I don't bother with those devices, I have an Android for all my worldwide news, gaming news, streaming movies, ect so it's why I love my Switch as it's handheld mode makes it so much better and if Nintendo didn't include such a feature, I wouldn't even bother buying a Nintendo console this gen at all, it's handheld feature is it's saving grace. I strongly & only recommend anyone who should be buying Switch "if" you really want to play Nintendo's offering games but otherwise, if you love your Tablet, I wouldn't bother buying Switch at all.

I guess for me is, I don't have the time anymore putting more hours into another console in the house and the only thing that's keeping me enjoying Switch is it's handheld mode when I'm out of the house, I barely use the Dock mode to play any Switch games. My PC does everything at home for me and my PS4 serves as my all-around media & playing PS4 games is a bonus now.

Edit: I'm totally with you on Nintendo banking people just to buy their consoles, I really wish they port their games on PC, they make a killing on the PC market but no, they want everyone buying the console instead.

What kind of drives me nuts about the Switch is that the one thing I hate about my tablet is how weak it is as a gaming machine. When I first heard about the Switch I was like "it can do all the things my tablet can do, AND play console-quality games? sign me up!" But then I found out it couldn't do anything my tablet could do and I was majorly disappointed. If I had an extra $500 laying around I might consider it, but being on a budget and having other systems that fill the gap turns me off. Thing is I'm a PC gamer, I like Nintendo games, and I would even buy their console to play games if they could just add in some functionality (which, I guess, apparently they tried to with Cyanogen but gave up on when it didn't work out).