KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

Today we are proud to announce The Insight Project, an innovative R&D project at Ninja Theory that we have grand ambitions for. In 2017, Ninja Theory released Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice on PlayStation and PC platforms and later to Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and VR. It was headed by Tameem Antoniades, co-founder and Creative Director at Ninja Theory under the guidance of Paul Fletcher, Psychiatrist and Professor of Health Neuroscience at University of Cambridge.

The game received universal acclaim for its depiction of a warrior with severe mental health issues and was described by Wellcome as the best representation of psychosis in any media. It went on to win widespread acclaim, including 5 BAFTAs, 3 The Game Awards and a Royal College of Psychiatrists award.

Subsequent to its release, Tameem and Paul have continued discussions on how games can go beyond representing mental illness and distress and how they play a role in promoting mental well being. These discussions have resulted in The Insight Project, an ambitious combination of technology, game design and clinical neuroscience brought together with the aim of generating strategies to alleviate mental distress.

The Insight Project will take shape over several years but is being announced early to encourage an open and transparent approach to its development. It is an exploratory but experimentally guided project that aims to deliver a mainstream solution to help treat mental suffering and encourage mental well being.

We plan a programme of gaming, technological and scientific development that will lead to self-contained, individualised and absorbing game experiences within which people can become an expert at recognising, responding to and, ultimately, controlling their own fear, anxiety and other negative subjective experience. The work will be underpinned by rigorous scientific principles to ensure its effectiveness and validity and it will adhere to strict standards of ethics and data management.

This approach will be widely and conveniently applicable, flexible to the needs of the individual and, critically, enjoyable and absorbing in ways that will ensure enthusiastic engagement leading to marked and sustainable change.

Our goal is to create and inspire a movement and help mental health treatment to go mainstream. We hope you’ll join us on this exciting journey!

I guess Microsoft meant it when they told their new studios to keep doing their own thing.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/29/the-insight-project/

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

I am curious what this will result in. As someone with his own mental health problems, and enjoys games (and loves Ninja Theory), I would welcome something that could help me that is also something I am interested in.

Solving my problems through a game or game-like program would be pretty awesome.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

Slowly, I think we may be seeing that MS was serious. They want a robust first party and will trust the creators to create.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20095 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Slowly, I think we may be seeing that MS was serious. They want a robust first party and will trust the creators to create.

Which is great! Right now they have a reputation of crushing the soul out of their studios.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

Wasn't a fan of Hellblade, but they have always been an interesting company who's aspirations have always been higher than the usual dumb action game. I really do hope it ends up more interesting than that game was.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Should be quite interesting to see what comes from this.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cainetao11

@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:

Which is great! Right now they have a reputation of crushing the soul out of their studios.

Which I no longer I agree with. Its been long enough since they were like that. They haven't crushed Turn 10, Playground, 343 or the Coalition. Rare seems to like working and nobody has complained about gamepass including Obsidian. Seems like a bitch ass cry babies living in the past at this point are the only ones that don't recognize the changing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17763 Posts

It is good that they are helping people, but this is almost like having Rare work on Xbox Avatars and Kinect games. Not what I want from the studio. I hope they continue to work on traditional games at the same time.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@cainetao11: lol what are you talking about? They have limited the coalition to endless Gears sequels and Turn 10 to endless Forza sequels. They are finally going to let playground games make something other then a Forza. But it's a little early to say they have had a positive impact on developers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

As someone who works in Medical Field, this approach is very interesting and like to see what Ninja Theory does when next-gen arrives.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22368 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Definitely promising signs.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I think VR can help mental disorders it did help my depression one time no joke. I was extremely depressed one night a couple of years ago and put on my Oculus Rift and played F.E.A.R. using Vorpx and I was just admiring the atmosphere of the lighting on the wall of the game and all of sudden I got a serotonin boost it was really cool nothing like that has ever happen before or after that experience. I just imagine the future when VR starts to really look good how that could help you get you out of a negative mindset.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Get ready for all the feels dudebros.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

news.xbox.com said:

The game received universal acclaim for its depiction of

I thought it was pure shit. So, no, not universal. Worst Ninja Theory game I've ever played.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

I am loving MS approach now compared to just few years back. Lots good decisions.

Do hope this means Rare gets same love for freedom. Rare has been sh*t for a while now, but at least give chance to be sh*t at doing things they love.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@r-gamer: don't laugh for too long. Playground is branching out after MS acquired the studio and built/hired a whole new team separate from the Forza Horizon Team. If Turn 10/Coalition wanted to branch out or create something else, I'd highly doubt MS would stop them, especially with 12 XGS studios/Gamepass and having time to work on multiple projects/no time constraints.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Overly ambitious non-game application. This sounds like it will 99% end in failure or take up all of next gen to deliver anything. It's mind boggling MS would buy a studio and allow them to just go wild with some random R&D project. I mean it's good they aren't forcing them to do Gears 6 or to be a "backup studio" on Halo or some nonsense, but I dunno, this seems like a stretch. They should at least be forced to start out with a marketable game with a clear vision... not a "we are going to do years of research and find something that makes lives better via better mental health". Huh? You are a GAME STUDIO!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

No, thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Geez sounds depressing as shit, why couldn't they just help the mentally ill with an awesome Enslaved 2 game.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX

@ezekiel43 said:
@x_hedon said:

I thought it was pure shit. So, no, not universal. Worst Ninja Theory game I've ever played.

Not sure why you put that quote to me. I never said any such thing. But I do love Hellblade.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cainetao11

@r-gamer said:

@cainetao11: lol what are you talking about? They have limited the coalition to endless Gears sequels and Turn 10 to endless Forza sequels. They are finally going to let playground games make something other then a Forza. But it's a little early to say they have had a positive impact on developers.

LMAO first off what else is Polyphony Digital making other than GT?

"Finally letting Playground games make something other....." dude MS has only owned the studio since 2017. They could've made other games and now with MS funding they are. I'd say that's a positive.

Its also a little early after just 2 games to say the Coalition is going to make "endless Gears sequels" if its too early to say they have had a positive impact on studios.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

Does this equate to another shitty gaming experience like Hellblade?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zero_epyon

@cainetao11 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:

Which I no longer I agree with. Its been long enough since they were like that. They haven't crushed Turn 10, Playground, 343 or the Coalition. Rare seems to like working and nobody has complained about gamepass including Obsidian. Seems like a bitch ass cry babies living in the past at this point are the only ones that don't recognize the changing.

I disagree. With the exception of Turn 10 and Obsidian, every other dev seems to have been stuck working on the same IPs this gen. Rare finally made something that wasn't a remaster or Kinect game since Kinect was dropped. Playground made four Horizon games back to back. 343 has been on Halo and Coalition on Gears. And those games with the exception of Horizon have been on the decline in critical acclaim.

They are certainly putting in the effort to turn things around and I'm curious to see if they can shake this reputation off.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KvallyX

@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:

I disagree. With the exception of Turn 10 and Obsidian, every other dev seems to have been stuck working on the same IPs this gen. Rare finally made something that wasn't a remaster or Kinect game since Kinect was dropped. Playground made four Horizon games back to back. 343 has been on Halo and Coalition on Gears. And those games with the exception of Horizon have been on the decline in critical acclaim.

They are certainly putting in the effort to turn things around and I'm curious to see if they can shake this reputation off.

Millions love Halo and Gears, so it's good that they continue to push out those IP's. Gamers want them. Gamers want Mario, Gamers want God of War. The fact that Coalition is making Gears of War, Gears Tactics and outsourced Gear Pop is a nice change from just a single Gears game. Gears 5 getting an 84 isn't what I would call a negative or a decline in the IP. If we looked at how UC Lost Legacy scored (83), that means we would say that UC is on decline in critical acclaim (which it is not). There are so many people excited about Halo Infinite, myself being one of them. The fact that MS has added more and more studios and told those studios to make what they want, is a good thing. That is what I have liked about Sony, they give their studios free reign. It's good that MS is doing it, and it's good that Sony has been doing it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

This is great and all but I'd love to see an actual enjoyable video game from Ninja Theory again.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@x_hedon said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@x_hedon said:

Not sure why you put that quote to me. I never said any such thing. But I do love Hellblade.

I know you didn't. My apologies.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KvallyX

@ezekiel43 said:
@x_hedon said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@x_hedon said:

I know you didn't. My apologies.

No worries. I just saw that quote and I was like, "was I drunk". I never use the phrase "universal acclaim" lol.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@cainetao11: If that's what they want to make that's fine. That may be true in the case of turn 10 as it certainly is with polyphony digital. But then you had another dev pump out games in the same series and in the same genre?

My point is MS needs something other then Gears, Forza and Halo before I start praising them. If they can get 3 more quality IP's going then were on to something. They need Rare to make an awesome platformer or maybe a quality Killer Instinct sequel. And Playground better be working on Fable. They have alot of potential going forwards with all their studio acquisitions but we need to see how they turn out before we talk about their positive impact.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zero_epyon

@x_hedon said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:

Millions love Halo and Gears, so it's good that they continue to push out those IP's. Gamers want them. Gamers want Mario, Gamers want God of War. The fact that Coalition is making Gears of War, Gears Tactics and outsourced Gear Pop is a nice change from just a single Gears game. Gears 5 getting an 84 isn't what I would call a negative or a decline in the IP. If we looked at how UC Lost Legacy scored (83), that means we would say that UC is on decline in critical acclaim (which it is not). There are so many people excited about Halo Infinite, myself being one of them. The fact that MS has added more and more studios and told those studios to make what they want, is a good thing. That is what I have liked about Sony, they give their studios free reign. It's good that MS is doing it, and it's good that Sony has been doing it.

MC Scores:

Halo 97 | Halo 2 95 | Halo 3 94 | Halo 4 87 | Halo 5 84

GeoW 94 | GeoW 2 93 | GeoW 3 91 | GeoW 4 84 | Gears 5 84

I'd call that a decline. And if we were to count Uncharted Lost Legacy, I would call that a decline to since ND released 5 Uncharted games and their last entry wasn't as stellar as previous entries. Which is why they claimed that this would be the last entry for Uncharted and hopefully we'll see something new from them next gen.

The fact that MS has added more and more studios and told those studios to make what they want, is a good thing

I agree and I'm not arguing that. Just look at what's happened at Activision. They had a hit with Call of Duty last gen and rotated multiple devs to do Call of Duty every year. And every year since Black Ops, Call of Duty gets less stellar reviews and declining sales. The latest entry is the most interesting and polished, yet it scored a 7 here. MS was going the Activision route and I'm glad they're turning away from that strategy with their new studios.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KvallyX

@Zero_epyon said:
@x_hedon said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

MC Scores:

I'd call that a decline. And if we were to count Uncharted Lost Legacy, I would call that a decline to since ND released 5 Uncharted games and their last entry wasn't as stellar as previous entries. Which is why they claimed that this would be the last entry for Uncharted and hopefully we'll see something new from them next gen.

The fact that MS has added more and more studios and told those studios to make what they want, is a good thing

I agree and I'm not arguing that. Just look at what's happened at Activision. They had a hit with Call of Duty last gen and rotated multiple devs to do Call of Duty every year. And every year since Black Ops, Call of Duty gets less stellar reviews and declining sales. The latest entry is the most interesting and polished, yet it scored a 7 here. MS was going the Activision route and I'm glad they're turning away from that strategy with their new studios.

I am bummed by the 7 that COD got here for this one. This is the COD I have been waiting for this entire gen. I love it. :(

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cainetao11

@Zero_epyon: Yeah but I don't expect games like Halo to stay forever in the 90/100s. It doesn't have the ability to change the way God of War could. I'm open to hearing how anyone reinvents the FPS so as to make Halo Infintie different then any before it as GoW2018 was to its predecessors. Just cant happen. Im also not invested in what strangers score games. So whoopdy doo to that.

Gears 5 has its rating but the vast majority were extremely impressed by the changes to the formula and story. Bottom line? I do see a different metric for Gears then say Uncharted because the only thing new and great about 4 were a jeep with a winch, a rope, hiding in grass LOL, and cut scenes, characters and dialogue. It was still just Uncharted. Now I can get behind that people like that, but people like Gears also.

I guess Im a half glass full guy. I still post hopeful about Death Stranding even though Ive now seen NO gameplay that I wasn't to invest time into.

I see positives over at Xbox game studios and I shit sure don't live in a dead time like the past. It cant be changed so what good is it?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11
@r-gamer said:

@cainetao11: If that's what they want to make that's fine. That may be true in the case of turn 10 as it certainly is with polyphony digital. But then you had another dev pump out games in the same series and in the same genre?

My point is MS needs something other then Gears, Forza and Halo before I start praising them. If they can get 3 more quality IP's going then were on to something. They need Rare to make an awesome platformer or maybe a quality Killer Instinct sequel. And Playground better be working on Fable. They have alot of potential going forwards with all their studio acquisitions but we need to see how they turn out before we talk about their positive impact.

But as I said about that other dev making Forza Horizon, they were not owned by MS until 2017. They could've made what they wanted other than FH. You seem to want to ignore that fact.

My point is they will have more than Gears, Forza and Halo and only idiots cant see that. Why would Ninja theory, InExile, Obsidian (whom just made a new major game that will be only Xbox/PC going forward), and the other acquisitions make Halo, Gears and Forza?

Id rather Playground wasn't working on Fable. Id rather a new IP entirely. Amazing how the same three games get thrown around as if Xbox hasn't tried new things, then people demand one of the same old titles.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

I’m sure their heart is in the right place, but this sounds pretty confused to me. If this was a pure medical app based on gaming technology and design, then perhaps. But as I understand it they are still gonna make a ”mass market” game. How could that ever be an efficient treatment for something as complicated as mental illness? Wish them all the best ofc...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KvallyX

@cainetao11 said:
@r-gamer said:

But as I said about that other dev making Forza Horizon, they were not owned by MS until 2017. They could've made what they wanted other than FH. You seem to want to ignore that fact.

My point is they will have more than Gears, Forza and Halo and only idiots cant see that. Why would Ninja theory, InExile, Obsidian (whom just made a new major game that will be only Xbox/PC going forward), and the other acquisitions make Halo, Gears and Forza?

Id rather Playground wasn't working on Fable. Id rather a new IP entirely. Amazing how the same three games get thrown around as if Xbox hasn't tried new things, then people demand one of the same old titles.

Yes, the whole Xbox is only Forza/Halo/Gears and PS is only Uncharted/GodofWar/GranTurismo are just statements to spark debates. Both companies are trying new games. Some games more successful than others. I am just glad we have the opportunity to play these games.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zero_epyon

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon: Yeah but I don't expect games like Halo to stay forever in the 90/100s. It doesn't have the ability to change the way God of War could. I'm open to hearing how anyone reinvents the FPS so as to make Halo Infintie different then any before it as GoW2018 was to its predecessors. Just cant happen. Im also not invested in what strangers score games. So whoopdy doo to that.

Gears 5 has its rating but the vast majority were extremely impressed by the changes to the formula and story. Bottom line? I do see a different metric for Gears then say Uncharted because the only thing new and great about 4 were a jeep with a winch, a rope, hiding in grass LOL, and cut scenes, characters and dialogue. It was still just Uncharted. Now I can get behind that people like that, but people like Gears also.

I guess Im a half glass full guy. I still post hopeful about Death Stranding even though Ive now seen NO gameplay that I wasn't to invest time into.

I see positives over at Xbox game studios and I shit sure don't live in a dead time like the past. It cant be changed so what good is it?

I'm not saying these devs should be better at making these games. I'm saying they should work on something else that's fresh. Halo and Gears are starting, if not already are, stale and MS should realize this before it's too late. Sometimes just a new setting and characters are enough.

Uncharted 4 introduced new elements to a traditionally tight scripted series that hadn't quite gotten stale yet. It was also meant to be the last main entry game for the series which tells you that those elements were an experiment for something else. We'll see what happens next gen. I don't want to see another Uncharted. Unless it's radically different and features new settings and characters.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero_epyon

@x_hedon said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@x_hedon said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@cainetao11 said:

MC Scores:

I am bummed by the 7 that COD got here for this one. This is the COD I have been waiting for this entire gen. I love it. :(

Yeah I saw the review after I finished the campaign. It's too bad because imo, it's the best call of Duty this gen.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cainetao11

@Zero_epyon: Uncharted 4 introduced new elements to a traditionally tight scripted series that hadn't quite gotten stale yet

Whereas I cant cosign that horse crap. Uncharted 4 wasn't better than 2 because of a rope and a jeep with a winch. Bottom line is, ND may have the best graphic artists and writers in the business. IMO that's what scored them points because Uncharted 4 wasn't anything new and the ultimate 1 and done.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zero_epyon

@cainetao11 said:

@Zero_epyon: Uncharted 4 introduced new elements to a traditionally tight scripted series that hadn't quite gotten stale yet

Whereas I cant cosign that horse crap. Uncharted 4 wasn't better than 2 because of a rope and a jeep with a winch. Bottom line is, ND may have the best graphic artists and writers in the business. IMO that's what scored them points because Uncharted 4 wasn't anything new and the ultimate 1 and done.

I mostly agree.