New Switch Model And New Joy-Con Controllers Announced

• 64 results
Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#1 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#2 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24346 posts) -

Meh. Maybe I'll get it. I already have two extended battery packs.

#3 Posted by Heirren (2181 posts) -

Apple should be so kind as to provide realistic battery info like Nintendo. Ipads get about 90 minutes if you are using an app like Procreate w/music in the background.

#4 Posted by Random_Matt (4287 posts) -
@heirren said:

Apple should be so kind as to provide realistic battery info like Nintendo. Ipads get about 90 minutes if you are using an app like Procreate w/music in the background.

Your battery is fucked then, mine lasted hours.

#5 Posted by Life-is-a-Game (671 posts) -

Not cool Nintendo .. not cool!

#6 Posted by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

I wouldn't mind the longer battery life but I'm certainly not buying another for that. That'd be a pretty pricey "battery pack"

#7 Edited by Heirren (2181 posts) -

@Random_Matt: lol i may have been exaggerating just a bit. Not by much, though. A lot of it depends on how many inputs are being made. I owned the first retina ipad before the first pro; id work too fast for the app to handle.

Point being it lasts nowhere near as claimed. Im going off the first "pro" model. Digital.....blah.

#8 Posted by Archangel3371 (28343 posts) -

Did they fix the hardware in the joycons as well? My left analog stick has developed a tendency to slightly drift up and I’d like to get a new set of joycons but not if I still have a high chance of them drifting again.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

So how can we tell the two switch models apart?

And this has longer battery life than the 'lite' even?

#10 Posted by DaVillain- (37415 posts) -

Pass. I always charge my Switch whenever I can so this doesn't do it for me.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (51234 posts) -

lol

#12 Posted by VFighter (5112 posts) -

How about they fix the drifting analog stick problem before all this other nonsense?

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#13 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3329 posts) -

@vfighter said:

How about they fix the drifting analog stick problem before all this other nonsense?

I must be lucky but I own 10 joy-con controllers and 0 of them drift. I have 2 Xbox One controllers that do it and another that has a shotty d-pad. And then all of my DS4 controllers die suuuuuuuper fast.... Oh wait...

#14 Posted by lebanese_boy (15084 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

Did they fix the hardware in the joycons as well? My left analog stick has developed a tendency to slightly drift up and I’d like to get a new set of joycons but not if I still have a high chance of them drifting again.

Fix it? They have yet to acknowledge it! We're still stuck with that faulty hardware sadly. I replaced mine with the HORI joycon after my og started drifting like crazy; it does the job and is much cheaper.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#15 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4850 posts) -

Hear that? That's the sound of almost 40 million people having to dump their old versions only to get one with an acceptable battery life. HA! That's a way to boost your numbers I suppose.

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

I think I will get this instead of a Switch lite:

-Longer battery life
-Rumble controllers
-Larger screen

#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (28343 posts) -

@lebanese_boy: I’m just hoping that they fix it even if they just do it quietly.

#18 Edited by N64DD (11968 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:
@vfighter said:

I must be lucky but I own 10 joy-con controllers and 0 of them drift. I have 2 Xbox One controllers that do it and another that has a shotty d-pad. And then all of my DS4 controllers die suuuuuuuper fast.... Oh wait...

I have 5 sets myself. I have no experienced any issues.

#19 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19128 posts) -

Meh... not worth upgrading to this one for me. I'd consider it if we also got a little performance boost, but otherwise I'll wait and see if we get this "Pro" model next year.

#20 Posted by shellcase86 (4469 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Serial number will be different.

#21 Posted by ProtossRushX (5591 posts) -

Which will last longer this new switch or the lite?

#22 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

Still a lite for me unless the og switch gets a price cut but we all know Nintendo don't do hardware price cuts.

#23 Posted by Archangel3371 (28343 posts) -

For those who are looking for the new Switch model you can tell from the box.

Original Switch has a white background with the TV on the left.

New model has a red background with the TV on the right.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-get-the-right-nintendo-switch-model-once-en/1100-6468475/

#24 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

Which will last longer this new switch or the lite?

This one lasts longer than the lite, and it's a pretty big difference.

To get more technical:

Both this new model and the switch lite have a more efficient mariko chip. The switch lite will have a smaller battery, but because the chip is more efficient it has longer battery life than the old model.

This new model however has both the more efficient mariko chip, as well as the same battery as on the OG switch, so it outlasts them all when it comes to battery life.

#25 Posted by BassMan (10520 posts) -

#26 Posted by Heirren (2181 posts) -

@BassMan:

Lol agreed. Precisely.

#27 Posted by Archangel3371 (28343 posts) -

Kind of tempted to get the newer model myself because while I haven’t had any issues with the battery life of my current Switch it would be nice to know it could last longer per charge if need be.

#28 Posted by omegaMaster (1310 posts) -

Looks good. Might get this since I don't own a Switch. Should be priced the same as the original, right?

#29 Posted by xhawk27 (11329 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Hear that? That's the sound of almost 40 million people having to dump their old versions only to get one with an acceptable battery life. HA! That's a way to boost your numbers I suppose.

You mean like Sony making an improved version of the Pro that doesn't sound like a jet taking off? HA! Sony sure knows how to milk you fools!

#30 Posted by VFighter (5112 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: You post some really dumb shit.

#31 Posted by p3anut (6302 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I believe this new upgraded battery will have a different looking box.

#32 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

time to wait even longer to buy a switch

#33 Posted by NerdRAGE (30 posts) -

I'll be getting this for sure. My current Switch has a defective heatsink that occasionally grinds inside the unit.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#34 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4850 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

You mean like Sony making an improved version of the Pro that doesn't sound like a jet taking off? HA! Sony sure knows how to milk you fools!

Says the dude who owns several versions of Xbox One and some Elite controllers. LOL!

@vfighter said:

You think I care what your flip-flopping ass thinks?

#35 Posted by xhawk27 (11329 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@xhawk27 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Says the dude who owns several versions of Xbox One and some Elite controllers. LOL!

@vfighter said:

You think I care what your flip-flopping ass thinks?

I did buy an Original Xbox One and last year bought an Xbox One X. I do not have any elite controllers since they are kind of expensive but from what i hear are great controllers.

#36 Posted by Speeny (1858 posts) -

It's very tempting. But I'm not sure to be honest. Is it really worth it just for a few extra hours of battery life?

I think the smartest thing for me to do is just wait it out.

I was expecting them to release a Switch console with a considerable performance upgrade. Maybe if that'll be the case later down the line, I'll wait.

#37 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19780 posts) -

Still keeping my original launch Switch, it could be a great investment later on.

#38 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19128 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Lol, what a typically ridiculous cow comment... then again, look who posted it.

#39 Edited by MirkoS77 (14347 posts) -

My battery just went kaput. Nintendo’s master plan reveals itself.

Let me guess: Nintendo won’t replace my battery with their new one because, hey, why the hell would they? No doubt they made a few minor design alterations to the new battery which makes it incompatible with the older hardware. So just buy the new one!

It just wouldn’t be the Nintendo we all know and love if they didn’t stick it to the consumer somehow. Sorry Ninty, I’ll use YT and replace my own battery, thanks. Oh yea, allowing me to have backed up all my game saves manually was much appreciated! Looks like I’ll have to start a new game of Super Metroid all over again.

Oh, wait.

#40 Posted by Wiiboxstation (1392 posts) -

Very impressive by Nintendo to make the battery life even longer. Those Joy-Cons look incredible. I might end up getting some.

#41 Edited by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

My battery just went kaput. Nintendo’s master plan reveals itself.

Let me guess: Nintendo won’t replace my battery with their new one because, hey, why the hell would they? No doubt they made a few minor design alterations to the new battery which makes it incompatible with the older hardware. So just buy the new one!

It just wouldn’t be the Nintendo we all know and love if they didn’t stick it to the consumer somehow. Sorry Ninty, I’ll use YT and replace my own battery, thanks. Oh yea, allowing me to have backed up all my game saves manually was much appreciated! Looks like I’ll have to start a new game of Super Metroid all over again.

Oh, wait.

There is no new battery, mate. Both models, the old and the new one, have the exact same battery.

Sorry to hear about your battery dying.

#42 Edited by KungfuKitten (26731 posts) -

I mean there's nothing negative about it and the battery life is one of the main concerns people have.

So...

Good!

#43 Edited by Litchie (24084 posts) -

Cool for future consumers.

Personally, I've never had the Switch dying on me inconveniently. So I'm cool.

I think the original colored joycons still look the best. Got the grey ones right now. If I'd ever get new ones, I'd want the original neon red and blue.

#44 Posted by silkylove (8485 posts) -

I have a battery pack so I'm good. This is great news for those who have yet to buy and want the full featured Switch though. I probably won't upgrade unless the rumored Switch Pro becomes a reality.

#45 Edited by lebanese_boy (15084 posts) -

@Archangel3371: At that point that's all I'm asking for lol.

#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

Would be really nice if they would stop holding onto the $79.99 CAD MSRP for the software so long after release. I'd buy a Switch tomorrow if I could buy the older games for $20 or less.

#47 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31402 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Would be really nice if they would stop holding onto the $79.99 CAD MSRP for the software so long after release. I'd buy a Switch tomorrow if I could buy the older games for $20 or less.

I'm buying the Switch on September 20th (along with Zelda)

And I'm hoping to buy Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey cheaper when they go on sale on the eshop in the winter sales or Black Friday sales.

#48 Edited by sirk1264 (6006 posts) -

@Archangel3371: I had this problem with my initial joy cons and I bought a new pair afterwards. The current ones I use don’t have the drifting issue so far and I’ve had them for about a year now.

#49 Posted by Archangel3371 (28343 posts) -

@MirkoS77: There’s no new battery, it’s the more efficient Tegra chip that makes the difference.

#50 Posted by Techhog89 (3779 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Why are you lying? And as already stated, it's probably the same battery and only the chip has changed. If the battery itself is bigger, then it would be physically bigger and there would never be a way to fit it anyway.

Nintendo does plenty of stupid shit. Don't make up stories to make it worse than it actually is.